Diablo® III

Archon users... what's the deal?

I'm trying to understand why people are using archon. I personally can't find a good use for it yet but that doesn't mean there isn't one. The edps output for me is not as high as just a simple sleet storm for example.

Is it because you're temporarily jacked up with armor and resist and are using it as a survivability thing?

I'm just curious :)
Reply Quote
aoe
Reply Quote
I understand how, just not why. Thanks for the input.
Reply Quote
easier to build
easier to use

problem is that new archon players are all out dps thinking edps = ehp

that may be but still needs ehp (vortex/reflect/etc)
Reply Quote
Honestly, as a somewhat fresh archon user, I'm inclined to ask the opposite.

Improved archon disintegration beam has a slightly higher damage multiplier than sleet storm, meaning it will outdamage it even with equal sheet DPS. In order to run sleet storm, I have to get APOC on my helm and trium, swap my inna's out for rares for more EHP, and this whole process docks me around 180k sheet DPS.

And even after all of that, I have plenty of deaths with sleet storm in MP8, even with 600k EHP. With archon, I'm all but invulnerable with close to 100k less. I'm sure I'm playing like a noob, but I see no purpose for bothering with it.

The biggest advantage, however, that archon has, is that its damage throughput is probably the highest of any skill in the game. My modest wizard can clear a room of trash quicker than my geared barb simply because he doesn't have to move at all to do so. Being able to attack from a range is a tremendous advantage even with the raw numbers completely cast aside.

Archon has much more lax gearing requirements, making its much easier to reach high DPS numbers. The insane EHP buff it brings makes it hard to die to practically anything not involving a vortex if you're geared properly. And being able to attack from a range gives it tremendous utility.
Reply Quote
Easy answer for me:

After a monk p100 and a DH p80, i decided to play for fun! Therefore, no matter if Archon (for my wizard) or Zombie bear (for my WD) is not the most effective skill to use, i dont care! In the end, i just like how easy it is to play Archon! :)
Reply Quote
07/04/2013 08:48 AMPosted by Blizzz
I'm trying to understand why people are using archon.

Because laser and !@#$.
Reply Quote
I personally can't find a good use for it yet

You've not gained enlightenment to the art of "pew pew pew"

Is it because you're temporarily jacked up with armor and resist

It's perm never temporarily :)
Reply Quote
07/04/2013 09:34 AMPosted by jenpeezey
Because laser and !@#$.

Haha I know it looks cool. What about disintegrate that looks pretty boss hoggish too. I think I get it though, archon doesn't require any special gear to make it work and the survivablity boost at the cost of dps can be worth it in the end. Cool, I should have thought of that!
Reply Quote
07/04/2013 09:34 AMPosted by jenpeezey
I'm trying to understand why people are using archon.

Because laser and !@#$.

Sharks with "lasers"
Reply Quote
@silverfire, that wizard dope brah, we have to do a run with my vortex monk.
Reply Quote
Because I am an alcoholic and i can hold my beer and play at the same time. Only need to click to move, hold mouse to kill.
Reply Quote
because this game is about gear, and with archon the only "rules" are:

Lifesteal on your weapon

Literally every other stat doesn't matter. Get the most EHP you can and the most DPS you can. Crit chance, attack speed, crit damage, all res, armor, int, vit, whatever, just stack as much as you can get.

Compare that to CM/SNS, which has six pieces of gear that are basically required to be one specific item in each slot, and not much choice but to spend billions or not really function.

Even sleetstorm is a lot more specific in gearing.

SNS is like fine dining, with intricate cuisine prepared by a master chef at a premium price.

Archon is like an all you can eat buffet. You can play CiCi's pizza style and just pile your plate with whatever, or you can play Osaka Of Japan and pay a premium for a million finely tuned sushi rolls floating down a river, but it is still just "optimize each slot" buffet, instead of "Oh damn I really want to swap amulets, lets adjust 9 pieces of gear to compensate."

"Does it work" is a secondary question in diablo3, the first question is "How limited are my gearing options"

Archon wins the buffet.
Reply Quote
but it is still just "optimize each slot" buffet, instead of "Oh damn I really want to swap amulets, lets adjust 9 pieces of gear to compensate."

So wrong. LOL. You optimize per slot, but you look at the overall picture.
Reply Quote

Archon is like an all you can eat buffet. Archon wins the buffet.

That's made me laugh out loud. Joey Chestnut of builds... see that bastard downed 69 hotdogs today at the hot dog eating competition? Jesus.
Reply Quote
07/04/2013 11:56 AMPosted by Blizzz
Joey Chestnut of builds...

Not.
Reply Quote

Archon is like an all you can eat buffet. Archon wins the buffet.

That's made me laugh out loud. Joey Chestnut of builds... see that bastard downed 69 hotdogs today at the hot dog eating competition? Jesus.

LoL yeah just saw that on CNN, crazy. 7 in a row for Joey.

But yeah lets see...archon vaporizes everything on the screen in a matter of seconds and if you have 10 APOC you can refresh with WW and never spend more than ~10 seconds out of archon.

I think sleet storm's edps is a little higher vs. elites if you build it right but overall is inferior to archon and CoB.
Reply Quote
Anyone try sleet storm with archon? Seems like a pretty fun setup to me. Archon for clearing trash, ss for elites (and for if/when archon drops)

It's still weaker than perma archon overall, though, because of the apoc and ehp requirements.

I'd never even heard of this Joey Chestnut dude until today...I didn't know hot dog eating contests were a thing.
Reply Quote
Turn on espn2 at 5:00 they're re-running the hotdog contest... lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]