Archon users... what's the deal?

archon > ss as far as edps goes
lol
this thread for real?

So typical of you, lameboi.

lets not get into it
this thread is silly

edit

btw as far as cm and tele goes jaetch, you prob cant pull this off with ur mit/hp but illusionist is pretty amazing. i go glassier setups ditch cm and run illuz in sleet storm, keep safe passage up 100% of time and absolutely wreck anything

both builds have their upsides
but lets be real

more micro = sleet storm
less micro = improved archon
medium micro = tele archon

just depends what u want to do.. i don't know if anyone other than malakai can match 600k+ archon sheet tho with a ss build maybe me too in my highest dps setups. shrug
Edited by lameboi#1117 on 7/5/2013 12:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well put, lameboi. At the end of the day it's all personal preference and play style. There's no fun in the game if everyone runs SNS and Archon. SS is a great step in the right direction for wizards. Now we just have to wait for the next group of collective geniuses to develop another effective high MP build.

(Really want to work that Cascade AT)
Reply Quote
07/05/2013 12:24 AMPosted by Jaetch
(Really want to work that Cascade AT)

cascade works pretty well on trash mobs - basically id cast blizzard to see the hp of mobs and kill those with the least hp to chain cast cascade. It works pretty well on illusionist elites, ive been using it since the later patches and been much more useful now bec. of the buff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urZ6LZwwC9E
Reply Quote
^ yes, usable, and way fun against trash, but not so much against general elite fights.

I even tried luring packs to trash, hoping the extra AT spawns will create a domino effect and wreck elites, but... trash die too fast and elites get tickled.

Tried combining it with Blizzard, Time Warp, Temporal Flux, FN - Shatter, etc. the sustain just isn't quite there.

Needs more work for MP10 faceroll!
Reply Quote
try this build ( you might need a skorn and 10apoc for it )

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#lehQfS!XgW!YccZYa

also don't expect it to be as strong as Sleet storm or like what sns do , it would really be impossible - but the aoe range makes up for it
Reply Quote

If you want to compare potential with gear, you have to compare the very best Mempo for Archon versus the very best rare Wizard hat for Sleet Storm. Rare Wizard hat can potentially be 300 int, 6cc, and 7 extra RoF CC. Compare that to 9 ias, 6 cc, and 200 int on Mempo, and Sleet Storm's best helm - from a dps perspective - is better than that of Archon's best. However, 6cc Mempo's are easily available (if you have the gold) whereas a rare Wizard hat like this for Sleet Storm probably doesn't even exist yet.

Not saying I'd necessarily win (unless it was VoA, where I'd trounce all over them due to Teleport shortcuts and never having to worry about refreshing Archon cooldown on trash), but I'd give them a DAMN good run for their money. Anyone up for the challenge? :)

1. People should start picking up wizard hats, seriously. I know I did after spending hours on the RoF CM research where I often needed specific helms but was surprised how there´s very few on AH with the right rolls, if at all (crit chance, APoC, RoF).

2. As for the challenge, the following two should be able to solve this argument in actual gameplay.

The 1 hour demonic essence farming challenge (VotA elites)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568378716

The 1 hour Fields of Misery loot farming challenge (FoM trash)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9309300922

I personally don´t have the gear to make a competitive effort with my Wiz but a lot of you guys have optimized builds for different farming situations, so why not give it a shot?

It´s not just about class comparison, it´s also about build comparison within a class. There´s already a few results from CM wizards (Avoid & Mental), I´d love to see some Sleet Storm and Archon ones.

Have fun.
Reply Quote

If you want to compare potential with gear, you have to compare the very best Mempo for Archon versus the very best rare Wizard hat for Sleet Storm. Rare Wizard hat can potentially be 300 int, 6cc, and 7 extra RoF CC. Compare that to 9 ias, 6 cc, and 200 int on Mempo, and Sleet Storm's best helm - from a dps perspective - is better than that of Archon's best. However, 6cc Mempo's are easily available (if you have the gold) whereas a rare Wizard hat like this for Sleet Storm probably doesn't even exist yet.

Not saying I'd necessarily win (unless it was VoA, where I'd trounce all over them due to Teleport shortcuts and never having to worry about refreshing Archon cooldown on trash), but I'd give them a DAMN good run for their money. Anyone up for the challenge? :)

1. People should start picking up wizard hats, seriously. I know I did after spending hours on the RoF CM research where I often needed specific helms but was surprised how there´s very few on AH with the right rolls, if at all (crit chance, APoC, RoF).

2. As for the challenge, the following two should be able to solve this argument in actual gameplay.

The 1 hour demonic essence farming challenge (VotA elites)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568378716

The 1 hour Fields of Misery loot farming challenge (FoM trash)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9309300922

I personally don´t have the gear to make a competitive effort with my Wiz but a lot of you guys have optimized builds for different farming situations, so why not give it a shot?

It´s not just about class comparison, it´s also about build comparison within a class. There´s already a few results from CM wizards (Avoid & Mental), I´d love to see some Sleet Storm and Archon ones.

Have fun.

The FoM challenge seems pointless to me, most of them arent even stopping to see what dropped (cos they use DoTs and it would slow down their runs tremendously), last I checked rare 1h'ers and jewelry still have the potential to be BIS so I dont know why they arent checking for rares. The whole thing just looks like an e-peen challenge to me.
Reply Quote
FoM would prob be better for archon
SS better for vota
don't really need challenge to figure that out :P

more whites = archon
more elites = SS
Reply Quote
Why archon? Because how I named my wizard? :P
Reply Quote
View profile
I'm trying to understand why people are using archon. I personally can't find a good use for it yet but that doesn't mean there isn't one. The edps output for me is not as high as just a simple sleet storm for example.

Is it because you're temporarily jacked up with armor and resist and are using it as a survivability thing?

I'm just curious :)

It's faster than SS, coz you usually do lower MP and just wanna melt everything quick.

SS has too low radius compared to Archon, and for Archon you can just fire without any arcane power problems.

Top farming build for Wiz right now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]