Diablo® III

Fallen Maniac in hardcore... not fun.

Hardcore is meant to be challenging, there's no question about that. In the event that you aren't being challenged, MP levels are available. There is one huge problem with hardcore, that I feel is VERY unbalanced and ruins the experience in a way, despite how you adjust the difficulty level: The fallen maniacs in ACT 3. EDIT: Everyone keeps saying avoid the areas once you don't need to be there.. why is that seen as the solution rather than a problem with the monster? Is it really fun to avoid an area because the monster is clearly unbalanced?

I like that you have to think about what you are doing in HC otherwise you may very well die. I like that certain monsters are scarier than others and you need to adjust builds to survive. The fallen maniacs seem to disregard whatever strategy you take and still manage to kill you with ease. I build as much armor, vitality and resists as possible, and have died 2 times out of two to fallen maniacs, and didn't even see the bas****s! ,

That's really the biggest problem - they aren't easily visible. I'm also color blind, so that makes it even tougher. If they are with a massive swarm of monsters, they are barely visible, and i truly mean that. There suicide bomb is meant to be powerful, but for how strong it is, the maniacs should be WAY more visible at the very least! It really does ruin the experience of HC to die in that way; to a fallen maniac who was able to camouflage himself in a horde of monsters.

EDIT: I want to emphasize the fact I don't have uber items and I'm low level.

EDIT: (Someone else posted this but it's a really good point) There are also lags, rubber banding and many other issues ... which just feels frustrating and not like a challange.

EDIT: I am okay with the damage of maniacs... in fact, make them stronger for all i care.. they should be MORE VISIBLE... MORE VISIBLE... MORE VISIBLE.... Do people read OP before they repost?
Edited by BBopMcJiggy#1307 on 7/5/2013 11:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i figured that would be how id die, but they havent got me yet
Reply Quote
Those monsters are only in a few areas and not random in all maps. Simply avoid those areas if you can't handle them.
Reply Quote
07/04/2013 11:17 AMPosted by Replay
Those monsters are only in a few areas and not random in all maps. Simply avoid those areas if you can't handle them.

You have to go through the keep depths for the missions.. can't avoid them
Reply Quote
What class and build are you using that you can't one-shot them in the 4-5 seconds you have before they explode?
Reply Quote
You're playing HC wrong if you can't soak up a Fallen Maniac blast. Also if you're letting a fallen maniac get camouflaged in "a horde of monsters" then you might want to stick to SC.
Reply Quote
07/04/2013 11:20 AMPosted by Inune
What class and build are you using that you can't one-shot them in the 4-5 seconds you have before they explode?

The whole point is I didn't see them the 2 of 2 times i died in HC. My current build is available for view if you want to check it out. I really don't have a particular build so much as I use the skills that would work best for the items I have. I play HC in the most pure sense possible.. I don't use really money to purchase gold, and I only sell my finds on the AH and use that gold to get new items. So it's a little tough to answer ur question..
Reply Quote
07/04/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Gorthon
You're playing HC wrong if you can't soak up a Fallen Maniac blast. Also if you're letting a fallen maniac get camouflaged in "a horde of monsters" then you might want to stick to SC.

I can usually soak up 4 or 5... but sometimes there are way more. And in a horde of 50 + monsters in a small area, they are basically invisible.
Reply Quote
07/04/2013 11:25 AMPosted by BBopMcJiggy
The whole point is I didn't see them the 2 of 2 times i died in HC. My current build is available for view if you want to check it out. I really don't have a particular build so much as I use the skills that would work best for the items I have. I play HC in the most pure sense possible.. I don't use really money to purchase gold, and I only sell my finds on the AH and use that gold to get new items. So it's a little tough to answer ur question..

If your problem is seeing the maniacs, you need to look for their green glow. They have a very distinctive aura to them that can be seen in large mobs and even from out of line of sight in some instances (through doors, mostly). The only time you should ever be taken by surprise is if you walk around a corner and there's a pack waiting right there, but even then I would think you should have some sort of burst AE damage skill that can take care of them before they blow up.
Reply Quote
07/04/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Inune
but even then I would think you should have some sort of burst AE damage skill that can take care of them before they blow up

That's good advice and I usually do have AOE. I guess they got lucky both those times then
Reply Quote
I never liked the Ideas of those Maniacs anyway, since most of the time you just simply avoid them or run away till they "explode". is that really fun? No clue ... I dont care about them that much really. I just believe they are neither a fun mechanic nor a real challange. Just a simple gear check! What a surprise though ... no seriously, I dont have a problem with gear checks, but I believe that particularly in group play maniacs are ridiculous. Not only because of the damage, its more that they gain a ton of life with 4 players in a game. Hell sometimes 3-4 of us hit them with pretty much all our damage ... and they dont die. Not to mention sometimes they explode as soon you touch them. No warning. No time to react. There are also lags, rubber banding and many other issues ... which just feels frustrating and not like a challange.

I have yet to see someone in the game actually that likes them. Only people on the forums argue FOR them.

All I would like to see is less health for them.
Reply Quote
try updating your gear every 5 levels or so. if youre playing self found, when you get to the keeps, play the first part of act 3 or the last part of act 2, gets you a little experience, perhaps some upgrades. helps out a lot. also, try raising your vit and main stat together :).

im raising a self found WD and im about halfway through nightmare. ive dealt with keeps 2 maniacs for hundreds of hours in hardcore inferno :). makes things interesting (at least for me). gear accordingly and they are no sweat :).
Reply Quote
Never died to one and I never bothered to avoid them, but I always watch out for them in those few designated areas in the game. They are hardest to spot in A3 because of the many rooms, BUT you can see them through the walls. They are harmless until they light the fuse, and when they do they glow so brightly that you can seem through walls... I don't think they need to be more visible, you just need to pay more attention. Advance slowly in Keep 2, one room at a time. Best of all, avoid the areas as soon as you complete the quests. Complete the quests solo and let your follower take the blow instead of you. Safest thing is to run and let them explode on their own; taking them out with a ranged attack before they come near you is another choice; finally, if they still sneak up on you, use Ignore Pain, Smoke Screen, Spirit Walk... etc depending your class and easily take a few blows. I'd say you're getting killed by carelessness, not maniacs. Those guys and the rare occasion of mixing 2 elites is all that keeps HC exciting. Or, if you don't like that you can play well below your gear so that even 10 maniacs can't kill you. I hadn't been to mp0 in months, I didn't realize that I could just stand on poison/molten while surrounded by 3 elites and just take hits for a full minute before they finally chipped away 10% of my life! But I prefer the challenge and excitement and I DO like the fallen maniacs in the game, not just in the forums. I'd hate to see them nerfed into nothing like the A3 KW.
Reply Quote
View profile

Never died to one and I never bothered to avoid them, but I always watch out for them in those few designated areas in the game.

U also have gear that is clearly not found but purchased

Otherwise excellent advice
Edited by BBopMcJiggy#1307 on 7/4/2013 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Some people say that you can see the glow through the doors and thus they are easily avoided. However, I've had plenty of occasions when there was NO indication there was any on the other side of a door but, they were indeed there.

I always break a door then step away from the door just in case one explodes shortly after opening said door. The other thing is, it's best not to run from them but to take them on and kill them before they explode.

But I agree, it's a cheap, stupid and frustrating way to die. Hasn't happened for me in HC yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time though. All it takes is one mistake or looking away from screen for a second and pop!

One thing I don't get is how they are big fat bags of deadly explosives yet they run like the wind and can squeeze through packs of 50-60 mobs just as fast.
Reply Quote
Normally I'd say L2P OP, but you're colorblind and that is a serious disadvantage. Personally I think the maniacs are just right in terms of balance, and yea we need those one-shot wonders somewhere in the game.
Reply Quote
I like that you have to think about what you are doing in HC otherwise you may very well die

They kinda force people to kite, unless you can shoot them down from a safe distance. That's how you have to adapt to this kind of enemy, and it's ok to have this sort of mechanic in the game, because it can't all be a bunch of dumb punchbags you can just round up and aoe down. I had a lot of fun there with these guys before my first HC char was killed, and I expected them to be a frustrating pain in the !@#, but they weren't. I honestly don't have any problems seeing the little buggers, even behind walls they seem to outstand fairly well, and barely ever die from them.

What I would suggest, though, is a visual queue for the moment when they blow up. It doesn't even have to be something complicated. Think bombs in a Zelda game. They tick slowly when you drop them, and as the blow up timer narrows down, they tick faster and faster. In the same way, I think fallen maniacs should have this blowup trigger kind of mechanic when they spot you. I have no problem kiting them if needed, but it sucks to not know for how long you will have to do it sometimes. They get to follow you for quite a long time before they finally decide to remember they kinda have to blow up lol.
Reply Quote
I've lost several monks in HC...the last one died due to being swarmed by fallen maniacs with serenity on cool down...
Reply Quote
I don't think the problem is so much the monster's gameplay as the lack of visibility for you. I know that Blizzard do try to identify areas where the game's visual design makes it harder to play for the color-blind, so maybe this is an area that could use some more work. If you can see them (and, for the non-colorblind, that's not such a problem), then they're not really a challenge until later difficulty levels, and I'd hate to see them removed from the game completely as they're one of the game's more imaginative monsters; and let's face it, a game that includes both Shelob and Lolth (i.e. Queen Aranae and Cydaea) as mini-bosses needs all the help it can get in that regard.

BTW, "Aranae?" Literally just the order name for spiders, so Queen Aranae is literally just a queen spider; which I guess is a little creative, since spiders don't really have queens, as far as I know.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]