Diablo® III

Want to add DPS to my TR monk. But lost...

Hello all-
I've been loving TR (been working from Druin's excellent material) as a leveling/farming build. I dinged PL 50 over the weekend and started playing around with some other skills (Spirit generators) and the like. Currently I can farm up to MP5 with little issue, MP6-7 are totally doable but not what I would call efficient, anything higher I get plastered on the first elite's I hit.

Basically I would like to get my DPS up to around 175k'ish (or higher?) to farm at MP8+ but am at a loss as too how to do that. Keep in mind I'm trying to keep the following restrictions (which might be my issue);

- I'm building an AR monk, I don't want to be forced to run OWE
- Currently I'm in XP gain mode, thus the lame hellfire ring and red gem in helm, once I ding PL100 both can change freeing up alot of options
- I need the SOJ for spirit regen for the build (I've been looking to get it elsewhere but can't find it, my helm is already as high as I can find on either AH (with AR))
- Would like to keep the 4 piece Inna's, beyond that while my pieces are not best in class by any means, they are all pretty good and after 2 weeks I have yet to anything "better' on either AH
- I've been crafting gloves and amulets like mad (27+ at least per day of each) and nothing yet, good thing I've farm lots of Tomes and DEs...I think both of these pieces are the palces I can make the most gains right now
- Bracers. The ones I have right now are good, but can be better. Do I look at Lacuni's or other at this point? Would like AR on them.
- I'm thinking I need to step up and buy a Skorn with more stats, I know the one I have now is very good, but I know they get much better. What would be my max DPS gain here though, 5-10k tops?
- My HP hovers around 40k, AR is at 482 (516 if I put some AR gloves on). I'm not sure I want to go lower on either. I've seen some TR builds with 400 resist and 20k eHP but I don't think I want to go there.

Right now my AS is at 1.08 (my only AS if the 8% on my pants). I've been trying to minimize this as much as possible due to spirit burn with the TR build but I know adding some more AS would give me large chunks of DPS. Everything I'm reading in Druin's guides about AS is to minimize it as much as possible with a 2-hand TR build. Have I minimized it too much? Can I go a bit higher?

I know more CC is always a good thing too, this seems hard to find though (gloves and amulet excluded).

So where do I look? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Typos...
Edited by Sikeli#1177 on 7/8/2013 8:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That hellfire ring costs you 6% CC and 50% CD which is absolutely ginormous.

Other than that....not having max CC rolls on your gloves/bracers/ammy is another big dps loss.

On the attack speed note, since you did choose to use a spirit generator, getting one or two more IAS pieces won't kill you (nat's set would help) since it is mainly for moving between elite packs and you can toss in a few hits to regen spirit.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 07:33 AMPosted by Sikeli
started playing around with some other skills (fury generators)

Barbarian detected!

Doing the palm TR build at high MP, you should not be hindered by having some attack speed. You don't need to infinite TR everywhere.

At high MP, that hellfire needs to go. It is not gonna net you more xp if it slows you down that much.

The palm TR build is best against trash in places like FOM. It struggles a bit against elites and I think many players will just skip them since attempting to slowly kill them decreases both xp and item efficiency, not to mention if the elites are killing you...

Highly recommend cc nat's set. Get either zuni boots or cc nats instead of ice climbers.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply...

I do find myself using TR much more for moving around or getting out of tight areas. Most of my killing is with my left mouse now. It's one of the reasons I moved from Deadly Reach to Crippling Wave recently...for the large packs on the Oasis and Fields. I was considering adding 9% more AS, maybe I'll give that a shot tonight.

Trust me I know about the Hellfire Ring. Sadly I just can't seem to get the Ubers I need. I have 30+ machines, 10+ organs for 2 of them but I almost NEVER get the Uber room with Khule and the Seigebreaker (the organs I need) and when i do their organs rarely drop (running Ubers on MP7 or 8 with my barb)... so frustrating.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 08:23 AMPosted by Vox
started playing around with some other skills (fury generators)

Barbarian detected!

Doing the palm TR build at high MP, you should not be hindered by having some attack speed. You don't need to infinite TR everywhere.

At high MP, that hellfire needs to go. It is not gonna net you more xp if it slows you down that much.

The palm TR build is best against trash in places like FOM. It struggles a bit against elites and I think many players will just skip them since attempting to slowly kill them decreases both xp and item efficiency, not to mention if the elites are killing you...

Highly recommend cc nat's set. Get either zuni boots or cc nats instead of ice climbers.

Ha. I will fix that. I have always been a Monk main but hit the Act 2 wall way back when, didn't want to run a shield on my Monk so played with other classes. I came back to the game about 2 months ago and started with my Barb given the gear I had on him at the time was the best. A few weeks of that and I grew bored with him...moved back to my Monk as a main.

I have a Nat's set with (I think) max CC, but I've never tried them on this build. Would you replace the hellfire or the SOJ with the Nat's ring?

I'm running the Ice Climbers for the MS and socket, I can afford to loose the 12% MS though (though my WW barb got me so used to 24% MS).
Reply Quote
ruby in helm -> amethyst

ice climbers -> >220 dex nat boots

very !@#$ty HF ring -> >5 cc nat ring

and voila, mp8 capable with 170+k dps.

add me and we can run together.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 08:32 AMPosted by Sikeli
I have a Nat's set with (I think) max CC, but I've never tried them on this build. Would you replace the hellfire or the SOJ with the Nat's ring?

100%... nay 1000000000%!#$! replace the hellfire with the max CC nat's. OMG. Probably +33% spirit regen through the 13 CC, tons more DPS. You keep the 24 movespeed between nat boot and inna pants.

Folks should really invest in top end cc nat's rings. They are good for sooo many classes and soooo many builds, especially if you get a 'generic' one with stats good for all classes (CC, CD, LOH, %life, Vit, armor, all res, etc., etc.)

If you have to kill elites, the SOJ can stay. If you are just running trash in high MP FOM for max xp/legs per time, then I recommend dex CC SW skull grasp. The SW bonus is just sick since it amplifies your sustain from SW LS. A bonus of 10% is gonna be close to 20k dps. The LOH and armor it comes with don't hurt either.
Reply Quote
Also--Strongly recommend Seize the Initiative over Chant of Reso in your build/set-up/objective.

You shoul have no problem MP 10 FOM if you make the changes suggested by Huntingfox and myself. At MP 10, survival due to amythest in helm >> modest xp gain from ruby.
Reply Quote
I just checked out ur profile and it has some really nice gear on it! I just recently started running TR myself and have switched a lot around to try to accommodate my monk I personally just switched to the nats 2 piece for the bonus.... 6cc ring will cost atleast 160 mil for a low end one and boots are about 200 mil also but they will raise ur dps by 10k and increase ur crit by a lot. if u don't go nats u should at the very least switch out ur ice climbers for zuni boots they will give u a 6k dps inc with the 8% ele dmg... u can get them with some high dex and AR. Ur Skorn is really nice also, I don't see much of a upgrade there. Your wrist are holding u back crafted are the way to go on them... u could easily get 5k dmg inc. Urneck and gloves u can craft all day on those and prolly wont hardly ever find something good enough... I would ah those , my gloves I have on now cost me 350 mils and they are pretty decent. I would stay away from lacunis, as u said attack speed is a beast. it is hard to find good upgrades without ASI.... just keep an eye out for em. I can farm mp7 easily and I am only doing 185k dmg but my resist are pretty low.. I wish I had ur chest, helm and skorn. biggest thing I would say is move and drop them bells a lot.... the bells are my biggest dmg booster I hit crits for 1.3-1.4 mil at the top end of stuff. You don't want to stand there and drop the bells, drop move, drop move. Send me a ingame tell if u like and we can talk more... it is hard to find TR monks lol.
, I would love to see how things are going and what u have figured out for it *ripped442#1869
Reply Quote
Your Hellfire ring is actually costing you 13% CC.
Nat's set is really the way to go. You want your bell to crit more to do more damage.
Also, SoJ - 6-7% WoL is the ideal, not Tempest Rush SoJ unless you're just doing MP0-1 to kill trash mob for EXP. But WoL is for demonic essences farming.

Look at my profile for some ideas.
Reply Quote
The reason your DPS is so low is because of your rings, SOJ is the way to go for TR but it definitely results in lower DPS numbers, also your hellfire ring is bad so it gives you pretty much no DPS, nats boots+ring is definitely the way to go, but I understand you want to use the hellfire ring for leveling. If you wanna hit p100 super fast and switch to nats you should just stick with what you have and insta-kill everything on MP2-3.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the help guys. I've got some areas to play with tonight for sure. Thanks again!
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 10:38 AMPosted by Zambash
If you wanna hit p100 super fast and switch to nats you should just stick with what you have and insta-kill everything on MP2-3.

Disagree here. With OP's set-up, xp and loot will be greater at MP 9-10 without hellfire and without ruby in helm than running with them at MP 2.
Edited by Vox#1186 on 7/8/2013 10:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Vox - What sorta stats should I be aiming at to "farm" MP9-10 effeciently with a TR build. Surely just swapping my hellfire/boots for a Nat's set + the helm gem isn't all that is needed.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 08:26 AMPosted by Sikeli
I almost NEVER get the Uber room with Khule and the Seigebreaker

I just wanted to comment on this...you should make 3 machines and open 3 portals at a time rather than one at a time. This guarantees you'll get the room you want.

You'll need to open a portal, kill the bosses, return, open another portal, kill the bosses and then continue to the third. It seems like I've seen people in groups just create three portals right away, but individually, I had to do one at a time.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 11:35 AMPosted by Sikeli
@Vox - What sorta stats should I be aiming at to "farm" MP9-10 effeciently with a TR build. Surely just swapping my hellfire/boots for a Nat's set + the helm gem isn't all that is needed.

Honestly, yes, that's all that should be needed!

Could try for closer to 50k hp and 550 all res, but STI over CoR should be enough. Again, amythest in helm. I'd caution about getting too low on hps. You need around 50k to absorb spike damage or to give yourself time to move out of poison.

Follow Druin's guide for TR/Palm. Watch the video he made. Need to 'soften packs' with SW and Crip Wave, and then apply palms and make them go boom. Your 5.6 LS skorn will keep you alive as long as you are surrounded with full stack SW and don't get simultaneously charged by 2 bulls or sit in poison. I like to spam MOC while softening b/c accelerates softening and +48% damage is +48% sustain.

EDIT: For reference, here is my build/gear that farms MP 10 FOM no prob (subject to change in 8 hr):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vox-1186/hero/34462933

Although build is slightly different, it plays similarly.
Edited by Vox#1186 on 7/8/2013 12:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Do you play multiplayer? That's a very good XP boost.

Your HF ring is holding you back. The extra DPS you can get from something better outweighs the XP bonus. Leave the red gem in the helm since all you get is more life which doesn't help you kill faster. I've been running my current setup since PLVL 60 to try and maximize XP and it is very effective in 4 player mp7.
Reply Quote
Rebuilt my TR monk tonight based on feedback here, spent 2 hours farming MP10 with little issue (extra health teleport arcane plagued jailers are not fun, beyond that all good).

I even know where to begin to tweak to get over 200k dps unbuffed.

Thanks for the advice all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]