Diablo® III

[Chronicle] Back to the Gym (Week 7 update)

EDIT: Home Gym Pics: http://imgur.com/Md1ntUU,QhWmVzm,IUDhs2j,MqXU3Zd,pVPKBuf,cjcSfZr,EbLpOnK#0
Week 1: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9436964190?page=4#72
Week 2: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9436964190?page=4#80
Week 3: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9436964190?page=5#95
Week 4: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9436964190?page=5#100
Week 5: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9436964190?page=6#112
Week 7: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9436964190?page=7#126

Today was the first day I worked out in about a year or more.
So, why post that fact here? Few reasons:

1.) Fitz
       a.) He called me a "scared fatty"
       b.) When talking about working out, he said: "The time is now!"
  2.) Psychological
       Now that i took the time to type this and put down, it's no longer an idea. It's an actionable mission statement. There is no turning back now
  3.) Less D3
       Probably not right away, or even ever. But at my peak, the workouts were lasting 2-3 hours. That would leave no time for video games. By no means do I want to go back to that, however, 2-3 hours was never my original intention either. My workouts just naturally got more intense and longer over time.

When I say "back to the gym"; I really mean, "back to my basement". About 15 years ago I purchased commercial gym quality equipment for myself. I feel my personal gym lacks nothing in terms of development over "the gym".
I can take pictures and share my setup if anyone is interested.

History:
After I got married I turned into a fat slob. For about 8 years I grew myself to about 260 lbs. Five years ago I decided it was time to get into shape.
LONG story short
At my lightest I was at 175 lbs.
At my fittest I was at 185 lbs.
Currently at 250 lbs :(

Today was my first workout!
So the journey begins!

XD

p.s. Not much of a chronicle but
1.) 90% of you probably don't care
2.) not the proper place for the topic
3.) details are boring.
Edited by KamelJabber#1103 on 8/28/2013 3:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yay for KJ! Nothing like getting healthy and feeling good.

Grats and stick with it!
Reply Quote
Grats KJ.

Ignore Fitz, he does like to be a big meanie. Fat or skinny, doesn't matter, if you are in shape, you are in shape.
Reply Quote
Yay for KJ! Nothing like getting healthy and feeling good.

Grats and stick with it!

XD
Reply Quote
Good on ya.

start slow your first 2 weeks, don't push yourself to soreness. Let your body get use to the movement and adjust slowly. Many people end up giving up because they overwork their muscles and take 3days-2 weeks just to recover from the initial workout.

Powerlifts baby! Squats, deadlifts and bench for the first few months must be in your routine. Build all those supporting muscles!!
Reply Quote
I'm reading this, eating McDonald's, and thinking man I wish I could motivate myself to start working out again...

I'm only 24, but if I keep up the pace that I'm at I don't think it will turn out well for me.

Good to see people caring about their body, gl and have fun with it KJ.
Reply Quote
So 2lb a week is a healthy and steady weight loss schedule.
I need to lose 70 lbs.
At 2 lbs a week or 8 lbs a month
That's about 9 months.

TBH, I was easily losing 4lb a week for a while, so If I can average 3lb a week
That's about 6 months.

Scrapz: right on!
I was into power lifting for a while. I'm very big into core muscles. One thing I didn't like about power lifting was the pain and aches. I was always hurting. Maybe that means I was not doing it right, but I did not like the constant aches.
I switched into a hybrid of heavy lifting and calisthenics.

Core is big for me...big muscles == big exercises.
Bench, squat, deadlift is a core fundamental.

Even that after a while got boring for me, as it wasn't leading to practical strength. As we all may now, strength, applied strength and size are not related.

I moved into 20 rep dead lift and squats and dumb bell chest exercises.
That moved into zero weight power squats but at ultra high reps, i'm talking hundreds of reps.
I started coupling deadlifts with pullups and dips.
Not too long after that I realized how much of the very minor muscles I was not targeting. Worked my way into power yoga and started bring exercises for hip flexors and other tiny muscles into the mix.

Ahh the good old days...wonder if I'll ever get there again.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT AND POSITIVE FEEDBACK!
Reply Quote
as i'm contemplating my journey...i need to get back into proper dieting also.

I don't actually diet per say.

I eat whatever I want as long as the caloric intake does not exceed what I need to maintain weight loss.

So, I can eat that cheesecake but i'll be starving for the rest of the day cuz there went my calories for dinner.

That process gets tricky when factoring in muscle gain. When working out you MUST provide a steady stream of protein to your muscles, about 2-3 hours. That means a LOT of low calorie high protein foods.

If anyone thinks weight loss and muscle gain can't occur together, I can tell you, you are wrong. It's very possible; it just takes much greater discipline.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 08:05 PMPosted by KamelJabber
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT AND POSITIVE FEEDBACK!

Any time fatty pants. Whenever you need more motivation just ask.
Reply Quote
that's right son, pump some irons and get read to die in battle for the greater goods. >:P
Reply Quote
Good for you, KJ.
Reply Quote
oh btw, go watch the movie "American Beauty", there you'll get a lot of inspiration. >:)
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 08:18 PMPosted by Angelthirst
oh btw, go watch the movie "American Beauty", there you'll get a lot of inspiration. >:)

:)

In my case my wife is stuck with me, she deserves better!
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 07:13 PMPosted by KamelJabber
When talking about working out, he said: "The time is now!"

OK. im turning away from this computer right now and going to my weights and bench. i have to.

i must.
Reply Quote
Round is a shape :)
Reply Quote
Good luck man. Losing weight is hard, but ultimately rewarding.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 10:38 PMPosted by Demiwraith
Losing weight

its funny, this weight thing. its different for men than it is for girls, really. when i was at my fittest and able to fit into 30-31 jeans and M shirts, i was actually at my heaviest - 85 kilos.

now a fat slob with difficulty buttoning size 34 jeans i find myself at 75, ten kilos lighter.

and crap, im still at this computer. WHATS WRONG WITH ME
Reply Quote
Hi KamelJabber,

I am a very casual player and forum lurker, but I wanted to chime in on this post and offer some encouragement. So good on you for taking the first steps towards better fitness. As I tell people, fitness is a journey, not a destination. It is something we need to make room for in our lives everyday be it through the choices about what we put in our pie holes or the activities we participate in.

So good on you for taking those first steps!
Reply Quote
Hi KamelJabber,

I am a very casual player and forum lurker, but I wanted to chime in on this post and offer some encouragement. So good on you for taking the first steps towards better fitness. As I tell people, fitness is a journey, not a destination. It is something we need to make room for in our lives everyday be it through the choices about what we put in our pie holes or the activities we participate in.

So good on you for taking those first steps!

thanks for posting; that was awesome of you to chime in and i greatly appreciate your comments
Reply Quote
KJ!

Great decision mate! I look forward to hearing about your progress.

I went through a similar thing a couple years ago, but the highs/lows weren't as extreme as yours.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]