Diablo® III

Is D2 still worth the buy?

I haven't played it, but it looks interesting and like a lot of fun.

Does nostalgia account in whole for the reason people still return to the game today? Is there more to it than that?

What do you think?
Reply Quote
it is 10 bucks, no need to bother, buy it and play it.
Reply Quote
It depends on you and how you want to play it, what kind of challenge you're looking for, what you prefer to do in game, etc.

If you're going to look at online guides for your build, the hardest part is getting equipment, which has a varying degree of difficulty depending on the mode you play (offline, ladder, non-ladder). If you're playing online, due to botting and duping, it's incredibly easy to get most items.

If you're trying to create your own build, you'll probably have a fun time through normal and maybe nm, but then it'll be like running into a wall through hell (although synergies make it a lot easier to let you know what the "correct" point placement is)

If you're playing online, the game becomes 100x easier in public games. You will have to contend with spam. Bots make some runs very easy to do.

Although some people will scoff at this, the graphics are really hard to go back too if you've never played it and are used to modern graphics (I found it extremely difficult to play SC campaign after playing WC3)

There are some really awesome mods that you can pick up depending on what you want to be different with the game.

I'd say if you can get past the graphics then you should definitely give it a try, but go in with an expectation that your first few chars are not going to be good. Also it's 10$ so it's not exactly a big investment
Reply Quote
If you can get past the graphics, you will find the D2 is much better than D3 in most areas...

Nostalgia is not what really kept people playing for 10+ years...but double check the forums because I heard there were some changes and its almost unplayable now...could be them tampering with servers etc or not.
Reply Quote
Gameplay is much more important to me than modern graphics so I don't foresee that being an issue.

What's the ladder about? What sort of mods can I add to the game?
Reply Quote
Ten bucks? Definitely get one of the greatest games ever created.

I guarantee you'll get your moneys worth, if not more.
Reply Quote
Definitely not. Go download Path of Exile for free. Better game, costs less, won't make you tear your eyes out from the graphics that were bad even when the game was first released.

If you have played D3, PoE and TL2 and don't like any of them then I guess I'll allow you to buy D2~. If you are going to buy it definitely get the xpack too though, it makes the game a ton better than just the original by itself.
Edited by Ender#1738 on 7/10/2013 10:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I haven't played it, but it looks interesting and like a lot of fun.

Does nostalgia account in whole for the reason people still return to the game today? Is there more to it than that?

What do you think?

My friend pirated it a few days ago and loved it.

Ironically, he pirated it "Because if he has to deal with the negative aspects of pirating like forced DRM, then he's getting the benefits too."

D2 is an amazing game though. I'd go to gamefaqs or d2jsp to look at a few builds you can try. Not that it matters (You can respec later), but they generally explain the strengths/weaknesses of different damage types against mobs, etc.

Also, try to get the Horadric cube ASAP! It helps your inventory so much. lol

Well you friends a loser for stealing the game an your not much better for sending people to D2jsp. That site has been a pox on diablo as long as it has been there.
Reply Quote
You should get it.
Reply Quote

My friend pirated it a few days ago and loved it.

Ironically, he pirated it "Because if he has to deal with the negative aspects of pirating like forced DRM, then he's getting the benefits too."

D2 is an amazing game though. I'd go to gamefaqs or d2jsp to look at a few builds you can try. Not that it matters (You can respec later), but they generally explain the strengths/weaknesses of different damage types against mobs, etc.

Also, try to get the Horadric cube ASAP! It helps your inventory so much. lol

Well you friends a loser for stealing the game an your not much better for sending people to D2jsp. That site has been a pox on diablo as long as it has been there.

I'll be sure to inform him you disprove of his reasoning, I'm sure he'll lose as much sleep as I will about your harsh opinions of us.
Reply Quote
You could also try Titan's Quest. That was a better game than D2 too though it doesn't have the player base that D2 had~.
Reply Quote
If you like to mod games you'll love D2, but get LOD too... There are many sites explanining how to mod D2, you can add new items, change the monster density, change the loot, monsters HPs and their attacks, skills, create new runes, rune words, gems, set items or uniques, charms and many more, stuff you can only dream off in D3.
Reply Quote
Look into PoE as well, it gives you the look and feel of D2. But with an active team working on it and a much larger player base. It's also free to play and I mean free to play. Not pay to win.
Edited by Torqbow#1421 on 7/10/2013 10:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been playing PoE and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. The itemization system, while deep, feels really limiting and many builds I'd like to try require a major time investment before they're available.
Reply Quote
20 Pandaren Monk
d2 is awful without mods
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]