Diablo® III

What I miss most from D2

First off this is not an I hate D3 post, D2 was better blah blah blah. Overall I am enjoying D3. Lots of good improvements from D2, especially in the quality of life department such as life globes and auto gold pick-up. I know, I know, that doesn't make up for much of the preference or nostalgia many will have from features taken out of D2 (stat points, skill trees - take your pick. All legit, but not the meat of my post.)

What I miss most from D2 was the amount of items that were useful. I am not sure if that will be part of "loot 2.0" or stuff added in the expansion. From what I gather and speculate about loot 2.0 is legendary improvements and maybe revisiting the core stats (strength, int., etc.) and the CC, CD, IAS type stuff. So I am not sure loot 2.0 will necessarily scratch my itch, but I am definitely curious to see what they have in mind.

But what really drove me in D2 was when all the loot was falling I felt like I had plenty to sift through that could aid me in some way. Looking for white quality weapons, or various armors for that matter, with certain amount of sockets for runewords. Runes themselves! Gems, jewels and charms – oh my! I feel in D3 it’s the lack of all these things to collect that make the game feel hit and miss. So much of the loot is either home-run or strikeout (and I have a low batting average!) Even with crafting in D3, you can gather mats for pretty much a reenactment of the loot drop – a chance at something great, or the “whiff.”

In D2 I felt that I could still hit a home-run with a nice loot drop, but along the way gather items over time and gradually get better gear (singles, playing small ball to go back to my baseball analogy). I was a noob who picked up every single lousy rune and popped them into the cube to crunch them into the next tier higher. Never had an Enigma, but I at least made progress towards one. I don’t feel I am making progress towards certain gear in D3. Yes, I collect gold which I can take to my local AH and get some lewts, but collecting gold doesn’t have the same fun value to me as sifting through the loot on the ground. The current gem system in D3 is the only thing comparable to the long term upgrading that D2 provided. And that is lacking at the moment imo.

TLDR – I miss long-term gear progression that could be picked away at each time I play, that did not still have the randomness that our current crafting system has. Runes, runewords, gems, charms, finding multiple socketed items etc. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
loot will be fixed in loot 2.0 but expect an announcment in the future that loot 2.0 will just be included with the expansion that's not even announced yet. trust me on this
Reply Quote
me too in a way, i found it funny, back around 1.0.5 i remember saying to friends "they tried diablo 3 in a way that would make them rmah money, then they gradually scaled it back in favor of what made d2 so fun, just making characters and finding gear to use"

to each their own of course, but theyve made making characters much better, and i hope loot 2.0 is good enough that ill finally feel comfortable telling real life friends "you should try it again, its nothing like it was on release, and its amazing"

it kind of is now. perhaps i need friends that arent total casuals XD
Reply Quote
07/11/2013 05:08 AMPosted by Isolation
and i hope loot 2.0 is good enough that ill finally feel comfortable telling real life friends "you should try it again, its nothing like it was on release, and its amazing"

Geez man, this brings up memories. Me telling my buddy, "you should try it again, its nothing like it was on release, and its amazing". He played a single day, and left again

What I miss most from D2 was the amount of items that were useful. I am not sure if that will be part of "loot 2.0" or stuff added in the expansion.

What I can recall from interviews: If an item you loot is something you can't think of anyone using, it's gonna be scrapped. Almost every item is gonna (well supposedly) have a use for someone.

Also, every legendary is gonna receive an interesting unique ability, similar to Diablo II's unique gear.
Reply Quote
I...actually kind of agree with OP. And for what it's worth, I think Blizzard does too. The stated purpose of paragon levels was to give the player a feeling of progress every time they played, even if they didn't necessarily find an upgrade during a run.

While I don't have the problems with D3 that a lot of other people seem to have, it IS amazing to me just how much loot they removed in D3. I'm convinced the game was nowhere near done and someone made the call to push it out because it had taken too long already.

Crossing my fingers that loot 2.0 solves some of this, but I can't see the core problems being solved until the expansion. Simply giving us something to do with all the whites on the ground would go a long way to solving this.
Reply Quote
I agree too. I like how uniques were useful for almost anyone even at top end levels. Bloodfists lvl 9 gloves were best in slot gloves for some melee like a Smiters unless you used dracs (pvp). 2 piece angelics for extra hit rating if you weren't over 70% or so.

Hence the word UNIQUES. No matter the level of the item, it still gave a certain stat that is unusual on anything else.
Edited by Durabolin#1796 on 7/11/2013 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]