Diablo® III

Questions?

Title: Console questions?

Hello Everyone

Just to fill everyone one in on where and y I am asking these questions I was told the following information while trying to find out if pre ordering the PS4 is viable.

Diablo 3 is being released on the PS3 on the 3rd Sep 2013 while the PS4 is not being release until around Nov 2013 and still no date on the release of the PS4 version of Diablo 3. The PS4 is now going to be pay to play online over the PSNetwork, has no backwards compatibility, and PS3 games maybe available to purchase on the PSN on your PS4. Now I have the following questions

1. If I purchase Diablo 3 for the PS3 will this also entitle me to a downloadable copy for use on my PS4? If not is it even going to be available on the PS4 and how much will it be
2. Will single player chars be selectable for use in a multiplayer game or are these chars separated? If so which chars are we able to use for split screen play the single player chars or multiplayer chars?
3. When I want to play a multiplayer game with my friends is this a peer to peer connection or is it though the PSN?
4. Will I be required to pay per month to play Diablo 3 multiplayer if it uses the PSN?
5. Is there going to be noticeable changes in the PS4 version of the game or will this only be maybe a few graphics and/or sound changes?
6. When will the PS4 version be released?
7. Will there be achievements for the console version of the game on the PS3
8. If I start a multiplayer game and this is going to be using PSN dose this mean it will always maintain a connection to the PSN? If so what type of ping or lag would I receive in East Coast AUS

Cheers NeK
Reply Quote
1) i can't imagine ActiBlizz will give you a free copy on PS4 if you bought it for PS3. if they were absolutely feature consistent and they could guarantee you destroyed your ps3 version then.. maybe. but in all honesty I expect this answer to be "no".

2) believe they are all viable, for single and multiplayer games, and all would be able to be used in same-screen co-op (there is no 'split-screen')

3) PSN/XBox Live appear to be the only way to online play/connect

4) if PSN requires you to pay (ie. be a PS+ member) then you would be having to do that to make use of multiplayer in any game, D3 included.

5) they have already indicated that there are things they are trying to integrate into the PS4 version due to the new controller etc. so I would expect the versions to have some feature variation.

6) you will know this when they want to tell you. highly likely the game will release after the console is released. im hoping for xmas this year, but more likely to be in 2014.

7) would imagine so. the PC verion has achievements, so would make sense to transfer this verbatim over to the console edition. pretty sure theyll just tag certain ones as being required to achieve the various levels of trophy on the PS.

8) I don't believe ActiBlizz can tell you this. That will all be PSN specific info that they cannot know. From trying to play FIFA between NZ and Aus over PSN i've found that it sometimes is pretty utterly unplayable so expect more of the same, but worse if you're multiplaying with folks in the US or Europe. Having said that it cannot get much worse than the latency from Aus to the US using battle.net now can it?
Reply Quote
1. If I purchase Diablo 3 for the PS3 will this also entitle me to a downloadable copy for use on my PS4?

Highly unlikely. This is assuming a downloadable PS3 version would even be available on the PS Store. With a native PS4 version coming out, it's incredibly unlikely they will release a digital download of the PS3 version. Unless you mean getting the PS4 version digitally if you own the PS3 version, in which case No, that's won't happen.

07/10/2013 07:05 PMPosted by NeK
If not is it even going to be available on the PS4 and how much will it be

Yes, it is confirmed for release on PS4. Price or any other details are yet to be announced.

2.Will single player chars be selectable for use in a multiplayer game

Yes. Single player and multiplayer are synonymous, there are no separate modes. Any single player game can potentially be a multiplayer game (local players/online friends join).

If so which chars are we able to use for split screen play the single player chars or multiplayer chars?

There is no split-screen play.

3. When I want to play a multiplayer game with my friends is this a peer to peer connection or is it though the PSN?

Everything is through the PSN when playing multiplayer on the PS, the only instance of PSN not being used is if the game has it's own independent online support (Diablo 3 does not).

4. Will I be required to pay per month to play Diablo 3 multiplayer if it uses the PSN?

No. PSN is not a subscription service.

5. Is there going to be noticeable changes in the PS4 version of the game or will this only be maybe a few graphics and/or sound changes?

No details are currently available regarding differences in the PS4 version.

Not yet announced.

7. Will there be achievements for the console version of the game on the PS3

Yes. This can be seen in available gameplay videos.

8. If I start a multiplayer game and this is going to be using PSN dose this mean it will always maintain a connection to the PSN?

By all means yes, that's intended. But it's completely dependent on how stable your internet connection is and how stable PSN is in general. If you are currently able to play Online with your PS3 without issue then it by all means should be the same for Diablo 3.

If so what type of ping or lag would I receive in East Coast AUS

Afaik PSN has dedicated Australian servers so your ping should be just fine given you have a stable connection. I'm in North Queensland and I have had no trouble with lag whatsoever with online gaming with my PS3.
Reply Quote
Yes it is clientside networking.

PSN isn't the server, that's just the authentication to allow you access to be able to play MP not the act of providing servers.

If that was the case, SONY would be up their balls in paying for everyone's game servers.
Edited by Zombie#1529 on 7/10/2013 9:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the reply guys thats some crappy news then I guess. I think ill just get it on PS3 and sit on the fence in regards to the PS4

[quote]

[quote]4. Will I be required to pay per month to play Diablo 3 multiplayer if it uses the PSN?

No. PSN is not a subscription service.
[quote]

Some dude from EB said that the PS4 will be a pay to play multiplayer and might have to agree with Enem here that you will need to pay on the PS4 to play muiltiplayer but not he PS3 I hope anyway If this changes ill be getting my money back.

Cheers NeK
Edited by NeK#1206 on 7/11/2013 3:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Some dude from EB said that the PS4 will be a pay to play multiplayer and might have to agree with Enem here that you will need to pay on the PS4 to play muiltiplayer but not he PS3 I hope anyway If this changes ill be getting my money back.

Cheers NeK

Hi Nek,

From what is understood, PS4 multiplayer online play will require a PS+ membership which is $50 a year. PS3 will continue (until further notice) to be free. As for ping, it's all dependent on who you connect to. I think this is similar to what was in D2, where you connected to the host of the game, and that determined your connection quality. PSN does not supply servers to host games, they only act as an authenticator/bridge of sorts.

So in summary, getting the PS3 version will ensure your Multi-player experience is free. To ensure the least amount of lag, the only thing I can suggest is posting to these forums after the game releases and finding players in your locale to befriend :)

Note: for all those who are saying "OMG multiplayer is being charged ... FAIL", the PS+ service is not too bad, if you are a gamer at heart. They offer free games every month that change or rotate, and once you downloaded for free, they are yours to keep as long as you maintain your membership. So all those bargain bin games you wanted to try may end up free if you have PS+. Also one should not look at PS+ as pay to play multiplayer. But it's more like the HBO of gaming. They are throwing all the premium stuff into a one year membership (cheaper than HBO too). I only say this because I was skeptical at first as well. Until, I tried out the free 6mo trial of PS+ that came with their "apology for the servers going down for so long", I realized it actually isn't bad at all.
Reply Quote
Title: Console questions?

1. If I purchase Diablo 3 for the PS3 will this also entitle me to a downloadable copy for use on my PS4? If not is it even going to be available on the PS4 and how much will it be

1.) Not too sure about all the details on the PS4, but it is not backwards compatible and they were talking like older games from PS will be downloadable for play at a cost. D3 is a release title on the PS4 don't know the price range for PS4 but I bet it is gonna cost.

5.) If you own a PSVita they say you can transfer the game between platforms within a few seconds not sure how this works but it almost has to be better for people in bigger cities than small towns.

6.) They said November or so 2013, before the Holidays, you never really know, but D3 is said to be one of the release titles.

I would hold off spending money that you don't have on a product that you just are not too sure of all the details unless you have more money for all the hidden cash grabs that may be out there. Didn't realize that the PS4 is gonna be so internet dependent and not just options. Should go watch the video for the PS4 announcement. And maybe read some info on the PS4 and not just from Sony but other sources.
Reply Quote
Can you just play two players . Like me and my girlfriend sitting together and have a game.
Reply Quote
07/13/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Havrum
Can you just play two players . Like me and my girlfriend sitting together and have a game.

Yes. Offline local co-op is the crowning feature of the game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]