Diablo® III

Unexpected error while trying to update

I create a new topic since I am not sure if my problem is not specific. I play Diablo 3 almost everyday recently. Since the release of the new patch everything appears to function correctly. Suddenly, however, I encountered a problem. When I run the Diablo Launcher I get a message asking me to enter my administrator password. My strategy was to decline, and eveything was OK. Now, if I do this I cannot get access to the game. So I chose to enter my administrator password. The result is the following message: an unexpected error occured while trying to install an update. Please contact the customer service.

I have already took the following actions:
(1) Make sure all permissions are set properly. I have followed the instructions that I could find on this forum. But it does not solve the problem.
(2) I decided then to delete the files and folders related to the following issue: failed to create or download a required files. Again, it didn't solve the problem.
(3) I thought that maybe the origin of the problem was a corrupt files so I followed the instructions to delete the cache. Again, it didn't solve the problem.

Now I don't know what to do and I am totally unable to play. I would like to receive a suggestion or at least know if I should try to delete the game and reinstall it. In this case, will I lost my caracter and my game ?

In order to be clear, I recall what I can see when I try to run the game: (1) A white window appears indicating "checking for updates ..." (2) A second window indicate initializing and then I have to enter my administrator password (even if the permissions are set correctly) (3) I get this message: unexpected error while trying to update, please contact customer service.

I add, finally, that I have Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and that my system is up to date. I own a Imac 3,33 GHz Intel Core 2 duo.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.
Edited by Brunhilde#1183 on 7/11/2013 7:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hello Brunhilde,

Your english is perfectly fine. What you may wanna try is to login on your Guest Account and launch Diablo 3 from there, if it's working we can eliminate some issues that might cause that problem.

Best regards,
xynlovesit
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Hello Brunhilde,

Your english is perfectly fine. What you may wanna try is to login on your Guest Account and launch Diablo 3 from there, if it's working we can eliminate some issues that might cause that problem.

Best regards,
xynlovesit

Actually the Guest account is the last thing you'd want to log into as that has no administrator privileges and would further complicate troubleshooting efforts.

Do you have any security software or OS X's firewall active? There may be an issue where your ports are blocked for some reason, so if either of these happens to be the case, try deactivating it temporarily.

The other thing that might be affecting this is that something changed on battle.net that exposed an incompatibility with your router's firmware. You should check with your router manufacturer's website support area to see if there is an update to your firmware. This has been known happen on occasion, especially with Linksys equipment (also under the Cisco brand).

Also, which folder(s) did you repair permissions on? There are at least three that need to have that done in order for the Blizzard Tools to properly update or even run. Knowing this will help me attempt to further narrow down the cause of the problem.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
Hi and thank you everybody for your help and suggestions.

I add some precisions and answer, by the way, to your questions. First, I don't have an active firewall. Second, I don't have a router which needs to be update: I have instead a modem, given by my Internet provider. Regarding the permission issues, I can ensure you that I scrupulously follow each steps that were indicated in your post "1.0.8 Patch got you down? Start here! ". So, I think I could claim that I repaired the permissions on all the required folders.

What is odd is that this problem appears suddenly. But, maybe it is not entirely true. What I can say, is that I encountered the permission issue since a long while. However, I did not directly solve it. What I mean is that I read somewhere on this forum that some bypass it by only ignoring to enter the administrator password. But maybe this strategy proved itself pretty bad, when an update was required. It could explain the message contained in the window indicating that an error occurred while trying to install an update.

I made some search in the database of Blizzard in hope to find a solution. I read that sometimes it could be required to uninstall and reinstall the game. Is it my case ?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Brunhilde, when you get your laptop back, check again to make sure your permissions are correct (manually inspect random files in the directories listed in my instructions). If they all are the same (as in they all have the Everybody group with the setting of Read and Write, then you may have corruption in either the Blizzard or Battle.net folder.

In that case, delete the two folders and re-run the Diablo III Launcher:

/Users/Shared/Battle.net
/Users/Shared/Blizzard

Re-running the Diablo III Launcher after deleting those two folders will recreate them and the Launcher will attempt to download updated tools, and then attempt to download any Diablo III updates that are needed. Hopefully this works, but if not we'll continue trying to get you up and running.
Reply Quote
TheTias, I can believe it but it works ! Thank you very much for your involvement ! I really appreciate your constant support.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Sweet! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]