Diablo® III

Skorn Thugs (switch/talk)

Old: I'll be looking for a skorn tonight. Any thoughts on what type of skorn i should get given my gear set? (doulbe Str, AS, or LS....i have an idea but want to hear your thoughts on it). [ended up going with LS Skorn...option 2]

EDIT: I've got a pretty solid Skorn setup now. Farm mostly Vota and can keep permawrath up most of the time. The strengths of my build is high AS/CC stats and my weakness low Hp. Currently I am crafting ammy's to roll a GG one. Then i'll move to Vit shoulders since I probably won't roll Vit stat on the ammy....but you never know i guess. This is why i'll roll Ammy first then shoulders, so I know what stats i'll be looking for in the shoulders. Later i'll go back to rolling gloves for a Tri, but atm i'm satisfied with current roll.

Future gear upgrades: Rule of thump I tend to favor max CC and AS stats on any gear slot possible. The utility of CC and AS is extremely important imo. Not only because of the dps bump but it always feels like survivability increases.

CC + AS = efficiency of Mobility & Attack

Thank you: silverfire, Death, and the rest of skorn community.

***Post questions/suggestions for various Skorn topics***
Edited by KingBenjamin#1485 on 7/25/2013 7:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You're not using the IK set bonus, and you have both trifecta gloves and trifecta amulet, so you've got a bundle of viable options.

1. LS Skorn with 42% IAS (probably the most cookie cutter)
2. LS Skorn with 58% IAS (the most baller option, most challenging gear path, low EHP, high DPS)
3. 11% IAS Skorn with 27% IAS (low breakpoint, good EHP/DPS balance)
4. 11% IAS Skorn with 40% IAS (high breakpoint, medium EHP, medium DPS)
5. 11% IAS Skorn with 56% IAS (highest breakpoint, living on the edge for LS and EHP)

Option 3 requires 3 slots of 9% IAS, so I guess this would be out for you unless the amulet goes. Options 1 and 4 require 5 flexible slots of IAS, making them the easiest to gear for. The difference is that 1 will generally use a witching hour and 4 will use inna's. Options 2 and 5 require 7 slots. Inna's+witching hour both essentially required, which especially makes 5 a pain as you have to live with 3% LS and low EHP.

Knowing you, I'd probably learn towards option 2. Overall it will likely give you the highest damage output (no bloodthirst needed) and put you at the 1.82/1.83 ww/hota breakpoints. It'd take full advantage of your ammy, which is the biggest roadblock in my way for going that route personally. And you're already used to playing a high DPS/low EHP style. Theoretically 1) has a higher top-end by using, say, a teeming, and depth diggers, instead of a trifecta ammy and inna's, but the lower breakpoint hurts fury generation a lot. And coming from dual wield, you'll want the highest breakpoint you can get, because its going to be a frustrating transition no matter what. That's the setup I was using with Morpheus' gear on PTR to average 10-15 seconds per elite, and what I would go for if I had either the right crafts or the budget. The problem is that you will have to switch to both lacunis and inna's if you go this route, which is what makes it such a pain.

Option 4 would also work well if you want to go back to using IK pieces and keep the diggers and crafted bracers. Same breakpoint as option 2. Bloodthirst will practically be a must, and the DPS even not considering brawler is going to be lower than that of option 2. You'd swap the witching hour for an IK belt, and the gloves for the trifectas. Easy swap, high EHP, lower top end DPS.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 7/10/2013 12:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/10/2013 12:46 PMPosted by silverfire
2. LS Skorn with 58% IAS (the most baller option, most challenging gear path, low EHP, high DPS)

Yea this option looks closer to my playstyle.

07/10/2013 12:46 PMPosted by silverfire
5. 11% IAS Skorn with 56% IAS (highest breakpoint, living on the edge for LS and EHP)

This one looks interesting too. Will need to run the numbers but Ik chest and belt should give me enough ehp to go innas + lacunis. I don't mind running bloodthirst as fury regen is my main concern.

but looking at both i can tell option 2 has more flexibility....option 5 has little wigle room. Thanks for the quick breakdown bro.
Edited by KingBenjamin#1485 on 7/10/2013 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
just to show you what option#2 looks like, it's the gear set i'm currently using for VoTA solo runs in my profile for de runs. I opt out of op:ks because bash gives you a better dmg bonus and i can keep WOTB up much easier with bash. also since i don't run HoTA in vota solo runs (i know it seems weird, but WW+7%cc+30% elite dmg+bash bonus+brawler with about 50% uptime gives you pretty quick e kills andi prefer this method rather than hota'ing stuff down.).

vota is a weird dungeon for fury gen. the 1.83 breakpoint + bash really makes perma wotb easy and makes my runs go much faster than when i was using HoTA only.

hope my setup helps you figure it out, silver always gives great info but i figured showing you how i do it personally would help you.
Reply Quote
07/10/2013 01:14 PMPosted by lameboi
hope my setup helps you figure it out, silver always gives great info but i figured showing you how i do it personally would help you.

Thanks man. Looks beasty.

07/10/2013 01:14 PMPosted by lameboi
vota is a weird dungeon for fury gen. the 1.83 breakpoint + bash really makes perma wotb easy and makes my runs go much faster than when i was using HoTA only.

This is what i'm looking for...a solid regen set. thanks for the tip.

SoJ question:

I've seen more Skorn barbs not using an soj....Is there a good reason to go Rare instead of SoJ on skorn?...i'm thinking it's do to hitting hota breakpoints but not sure.
Edited by KingBenjamin#1485 on 7/10/2013 1:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think most skorn barbs don't use SoJ anymore is because in a1 most people get NV stacks in festering then progress onto hollow/FoM where there are hardly any elites.
Reply Quote
07/10/2013 01:59 PMPosted by xxxkan
I think most skorn barbs don't use SoJ anymore is because in a1 most people get NV stacks in festering then progress onto hollow/FoM where there are hardly any elites.

I see. So if your DE hunting SoJ is still top choice for Skorn barbs?....thinking yes.

silverfire, i'm probably going LS so i can keep WH.

Any thoughts on LS skorn stats i should look for?....like what's more important vs others so i can price it better ;) thanks so far!
Reply Quote
DE hunting = SoJ
act1 runs = unity

that's how i do it at least. <3

edit-

remember also, i actually find with 1.83 bp that dropping HoTA entirely for bash turns into better fury gen to keep WoTB, while the punish rune actually gives you a VERY nice dmg bonus on WW/Rend/bash hits that not having hota you still kill elites VERY fast, with a WW SoJ.
Edited by lameboi#1117 on 7/10/2013 2:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yea... I don't see how a rare ring can be better than SoJ for elite heavy areas such as VoTA.

I too am considering making the switch to a Skorn. I don't really play this game much anymore if at all... Maybe a change in style would help.
Reply Quote
07/10/2013 02:05 PMPosted by KingBenjamin

I see. So if your DE hunting SoJ is still top choice for Skorn barbs?....thinking yes.

silverfire, i'm probably going LS so i can keep WH.

Any thoughts on LS skorn stats i should look for?....like what's more important vs others so i can price it better ;) thanks so far!

For DE's SoJ is definitely the best choice no matter what. That's why I'm assuming lacs+inna's, otherwise one could be done away with. Death has a couple of rings he switches between when he's using a SoJ, I think.

Look for 5.5% LS minimum, 180% CD minimum, and then work from there. I picked up this one last night on a whim for 1B, and it's pretty solid for that price. Higher-end ones will have higher weapon damage and strength but look similar otherwise.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/37259400
Reply Quote
07/10/2013 02:18 PMPosted by silverfire
Look for 5.5% LS minimum, 180% CD minimum, and then work from there. I picked up this one last night on a whim for 1B, and it's pretty solid for that price. Higher-end ones will have higher weapon damage and strength but look similar otherwise.

perfect. hopefully you'll be on tonight so i can link the ones i'll be pricing.
Reply Quote
i just snagged a nice one :D my old one will be on GAH tonight.
Reply Quote
07/10/2013 06:26 PMPosted by lameboi

How much was your new one?
Reply Quote
07/10/2013 06:26 PMPosted by lameboi

Yup, that certainly is a nice one!
Reply Quote
You could always go the route i went
Reply Quote
Hey bro,

So I missed your thread... anyways by looking at your current setup your best choice of skorn are leech. If you have questions just text me ingame I will be more than happy to help :)
Reply Quote
Hey bro,

So I missed your thread... anyways by looking at your current setup your best choice of skorn are leech. If you have questions just text me ingame I will be more than happy to help :)

I need to roll a good AS/ehp glove to make it work. Silverfire let me borrow his old skorn and overall I just need one more slot of AS and 5-10k more dps. There were no good deals for skorns yesterday so i'll keep checking ah.

death and silverfire gave me a pretty good lecture on LS vs IAS skorns. LS takes the winning spot for the long run. AIS skorns is the cheaper route but not the most effective all around.
Reply Quote
So rolled the glove I wanted to roll (besides the horrible ehp on it lol). How good is the dps compared to a tri? Should i keep rolling for a better balanced dps/ehp glove?
Reply Quote
CHD is way too important to entirely skip it on your glove slot
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 07:51 AMPosted by Morgue
CHD is way too important to entirely skip it on your glove slot

I guess there's still a good amount of room for improvement.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]