Diablo® III

Can't launch D3 after launcher update

So I try to launch the game and saw the launcher updating itself and after it finished I tried to start the game but was greeted with this msg, http://imageshack.us/f/163/9vuz.png/ what gives?!

I'm running as admin btw. It's always new updates that causes the problems.
Edited by BruiseLee#6943 on 7/10/2013 8:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Your Diablo 3 and Battle.net Tools folder do not have the proper permissions for the account you are running from. Follow the steps below and they should resolve the issue for you:

Resetting Permissions

1) Navigate to the folder containing your Diablo III folder, and then highlight your Diablo III folder in the Finder.

2) Right click the Diablo III folder icon and select Get Info.

3) Click the Padlock icon at the bottom of the Get Info window and enter your administrator password (this authenticates you as an administrator).

4) In the Sharing and Permissions tab, select the Everybody group and choose Read and Write option in the Privileges pulldown menu. Make sure you are working with the pulldown menu on the same line as the Everybody group.

5) Click the Cogwheel icon at the bottom of the window and select Apply to enclosed items. When it asks you to confirm this, select OK. Close the Get Info window.

Your permissions are now set properly for Diablo III and all of its game files.

6) Navigate to your /Users/Shared folder in the Finder.

7) Right click the Blizzard folder and select Get Info.

8) Repeat steps #3 through #5 for this folder, then close the window.

9) Right click the Battle.net folder and select Get Info.

10) Repeat steps #3 through #5 for this folder, then close the window.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
I got the same problem. I followed your instructions regarding resseting the permissions. I am still unable to launch the game. There is always the same two possibilities:

(1) After launching Diable, I have to enter my administrator password. If I declined, a message appears: you do not have the proper permissions.
(2) If I enter my administrator password, I got this message: an unexpected error occurred while trying to install. Please try again or contact the customer support. I think I have try enought and there is nothing that is working.

I would appreciate some help. I want to insist that this problem occured suddently yesterday, and that the day before everything was ok.

I have a iMac 3,33 ghz intel core 2 duo with Mac OS 10.8.4. I have no idea how to solve this problem. Should I delete the game and reinstall ? I would like another option.
Reply Quote
Tried the method and it didn't work but I searched around the web and found a way to bypass the launcher by keying in this command in the terminal: open "/Applications/Diablo III/Diablo III.app" --args -launch
It works for me but I hope to get a blue answer to the issue soon.
Reply Quote
Hi BruiseLee,

I would like to try your suggestion, but I confess that I never open the terminal, so I feel a little unconfortable about it. Can I ask for your help ?

Thanks in advance
Reply Quote
Hi BruiseLee,

I would like to try your suggestion, but I confess that I never open the terminal, so I feel a little unconfortable about it. Can I ask for your help ?

Thanks in advance

Just open the terminal and copy paste the command I posted in my post. Simple and easy!
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Using the Terminal will let you launch until there is an update. Then you'll be out of luck until you fix the underlying problem.

It also sounds like you did not perform the steps to modify the permissions for the /Users/Shared/Battle.net and /Users/Shared/Blizzard folders. Those two contain the Blizzard Tools. The fact you can launch D3 without issue via the Terminal but not via the Launcher indicates you did not change the permissions on those two folders.
Edited by TheTias#1192 on 7/11/2013 11:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@TheTias, yeah I looked around followed your instructions and solved the issue. Appreciate the help, Thanks! :)
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Yay! :)

Now I get to try and solve the eleventy billion WoW help threads I've responded to. Tech Support >>> D3 this week. ;D
Reply Quote
Cool so, how do you do this for windows?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Isis, this may help for Windows. If it doesn't, try running Diablo III on another User Account :)

Rate me! https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Velnrak
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]