Diablo® III

[Guide] Hardcore Witch Doctor

EDIT: updated 2013-09-16

Hi everyone. i have spent the past few weeks writing down my thoughts on my favorite class. I have enjoyed Hardcore since September 2012, and Witch Doctor fast became my favorite class. i decided to write this as a guide, a selection of some of the most effective and safe builds for hardcore. My hope is that this could and will be used by both newcomers and experienced Docs. I uploaded it to google documents. anyone is of course free to view it, but i am currently the only one who can edit it.

so as much as ive enjoyed hardcore, i wanted to give something back to one of the best communities ive been a part of.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B19UH1uekYJ7akFMbWFGNHdlems/edit?usp=sharing

i may also post the FAQ section after this post, just to clear up any problems people may have :). its safe to say this is not the only way to play this class, nor is it necessarily the best (and this information may be considered common knowledge to some), but it has served me well from my very first doc to paragon 100, and it is my hope that others may benefit, and enjoy the class as much as i have.

thanks for reading

-Isolation

UPDATES - google docs is messing with me today lol. so ill provide an update here on the table of contents and whats includedhaha.

corrected bbv error, thanks mintcookie :)
Skorn build- played around with a skorn so i added in more info on this build for those interested.
-1.45 - end game build suggestions
-1.6 is now a section on advanced tips. things ive discovered over time you may not have thought of, imo it can help you understand mana consumption
-faq is now 1.7
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 9/16/2013 1:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
FAQ
1) Why didn’t you include information about ___ item/build

I must not have considered it, convince me it’s good and ill include it (and give you full credit of course). i had information about 0-dog builds, but i decided not to include it in the final cut. the information is widely available, and the requirements for hardcore would be similar to any other build, the same but with a bit more eHP. lots of info in the witch doctor forums

2) I have more detailed information (on proc rates, mana costs, general mathematics, whatever the case is), can you include it to better help others?

It would be my pleasure! Full credit will always be given, the more people that contribute, the better off we’ll all be as a community :).

3) why didnt you name this “so you think you got bears?”

As much as I wanted to pay tribute to threads I enjoy and a great poster, I didn’t want anyone to think I was making fun of Sherwin

4) I am having trouble, can you help?

Well I wrote this so I wouldn’t have to….just teasing, I will try my best, but ultimately I can only say what has worked for me and others. Make a post in the thread and I or someone else should be able to help, lots of great witch doctors around here :)

5) Will there be updates?

It’s possible, mostly grammar and suggestions from people here. As for 1.0.9 and beyond I have no idea, depends on whether im still playing or not.

6) Any inspiration for doing this?

Honestly, ive always loved the idea of making a guide, but usually there is a plethora of guides already available, or im not knowledgeable about the subject. This happened to be the sweet spot, as there are few hardcore guides, and I feel I finally know what goes into making a good doc. They are also very difficult to gear, and I see so many people, veteran and newcomer alike running ineffective and even questionable builds asking for advice. Sherwins threads, as well as thedutchmans CM wizard and ubers guide were also a heavy source of my inspiration.

Lastly, I wanted this to be my gift to the hardcore community. I worked very hard on it, and appreciate feedback. And so this is dedicated to everyone persisting in HC.
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 7/11/2013 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
As a WD junkie (I hope I am remembered some, lol) I briefly skimmed the document and it seems like a nice starting point for those new to the class =)

~Lykotic

P.S. I checked to make sure you had 2H Skorn, lol
Reply Quote
Your copyrights are outdated (2012)!

Thanks for the guide, read the beginner part up to now, will read the rest later!
Reply Quote
Doc won't open for me :(

Can you post it here?
Reply Quote
thanks guys, im not a writer by trade, so it was difficult for me in that respect. im a bit of a scatterbrain haha

Doc won't open for me :(

Can you post it here?

it would encompass about 7 full posts, sadly i cannot. i have it open to the public so anyone should be able to view it (and comment) but it can be blocked by programs at work or something.

i can perhaps help troubleshoot, but as far as i know the link is good.

sorry its not working for you :(. this is actually somewhat upsetting

EDIT: since apperently i cannot make a new post, ill put my reponse here lol

Nice guide, but you forgot to sign it..

Isolation haha

hahahahahahahahaha, im gonna sign every single post with that now ;). its funny, one time my 8 year old cousin came over and she said "do you have to write haha to get it to send?"

just a cheery guy i guess :P

Kung fu showed up about 15 min after you left last night. I'm going to buy you a coffee maker for xmas.

edit: and just to not be a Jerk, I like your writeup.

haha the sad thing is i get up about a half hour before work, i have an auto coffee maker, i put the beans in the night before and it starts brewing roughly when im in the shower

hehe awwww shucks.

Here is what I get:

This content cannot be displayed in a frame

To help protect the security of information you enter into this website, the publisher of this content does not allow it to be displayed in a frame.

What you can try:

Open this content in a new window

ok i tried looking around. someone suggested i un-share and then reshare, by the time you read this i will have done that. it also suggests that old versions of internet explorer sometimes have trouble viewing this, perhaps your version is IE8 or ie9? i have also read sometimes internet explorer has trouble in general, so what i can also do is update the save file in a bit to a newer version of word or something, and then repost it and provide a link
it also suggested removing the http:// part and just using the rest of the link

thanks for the warm response guys :)

-iso haha
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 7/11/2013 1:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Kung fu showed up about 15 min after you left last night. I'm going to buy you a coffee maker for xmas.

edit: and just to not be a Jerk, I like your writeup.
Edited by Bryanw1995#1913 on 7/11/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh man, this is gonna be useful. For someone who is just learning about WD via HC (didn't level up a SC WD) I think this will good for me. Thanks for posting this and it will be something I will definitely be referring to when I pick up my HC WD.
Reply Quote

Don't remember it to me, Iso will be out tonight and tomorrow too. Good idea, let me know if you need help fund wise or for the logistics, no customs involved from here!
Reply Quote
Here is what I get:

This content cannot be displayed in a frame

To help protect the security of information you enter into this website, the publisher of this content does not allow it to be displayed in a frame.

What you can try:

Open this content in a new window
Reply Quote

Isolation haha
Reply Quote

Isolation haha

I figured out he had a "haha" keyboard shortcut key :)
Reply Quote
Great. Thanks for sharing this. It's a perfect timing for me as I am just venturing into the hardcore "secret ww barb" gameplay this week.
Reply Quote
I will definately give this a read as I have a 60 doc just waiting patiently to be played more. :)

Thanks Isolation you rock!
Reply Quote
This is well done. Very nice.
Reply Quote
Fantastic job, Isolation.

Only a couple of points: for the Ubers using Hex, hex only works vs. Zoltun Kulle, the rest of the bosses can't be hexed. Many players take it just to use against ZK, which is fine, as he is very problematic to deal with if the party is slightly weaker and/or has no CC.

Another end-game note: for players that get the CC Zuni String of Skulls, I think most of those players opt for mempos instead of giyuas.

And a final note: the guide is very accurate in terms of gear, skills, and playstyle breakdowns, even handling progression very well. I've experienced all the stages of WD progression, and can attest to the accuracy & veracity of this guide. Great job indeed. However, what it does not cover is exactly how to go about playing a WD - which is something players must experience for themselves. First-hand experiences often trump advice, even when it is pro advice such as this.

Grains of salt aside, there's plenty of great info & wisdom in case anyone gets stuck, or doesn't know where to improve, or is even looking for that 1% edge that might put them over the top.

damn, my post was all over the place, sorry for raining on your parade, Iso. Well, maybe not raining on it, just dampening it.
Edited by lucid8#1342 on 7/11/2013 6:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Fantastic job, Isolation.

Only a couple of points: for the Ubers using Hex, hex only works vs. Zoltun Kulle, the rest of the bosses can't be hexed. Many players take it just to use against ZK, which is fine, as he is very problematic to deal with if the party is slightly weaker and/or has no CC.

Another end-game note: for players that get the CC Zuni String of Skulls, I think most of those players opt for mempos instead of giyuas.

And a final note: the guide is very accurate in terms of gear, skills, and playstyle breakdowns, even handling progression very well. I've experienced all the stages of WD progression, and can attest to the accuracy & veracity of this guide. Great job indeed. However, what it does not cover is exactly how to go about playing a WD - which is something players must experience for themselves. First-hand experiences often trump advice, even when it is pro advice such as this.

Grains of salt aside, there's plenty of great info & wisdom in case anyone gets stuck, or doesn't know where to improve, or is even looking for that 1% edge that might put them over the top.

damn, my post was all over the place, sorry for raining on your parage, Iso. Well, maybe not raining on it, just dampening it.

man this is exactly the feedback i was looking for actually :). i changed parts of it over and over because i still couldnt capture the magic of witch doctor haha. its light on how to play, heavy on what will work. its somewhat how i read WW barb guides. you get all the stats, get used to wrath and learn how to maintain, and then you obliterate. same thing with WD, its 6 skills and 3 passives working in perfect harmony.

ill try and update it as quickly and often as possible. youre right about hex haha, all the ubers i did and i only recently started gearing/speccing for it. its funny, i ran with a mempo WD today and was like oh right....i forgot these guys exist too haha.
its such a vast class in terms of building, i tried to capture as much as i can, but theres still tons of stuff like 0-dog and proc docs haha. its no wonder we dont get buffed much ;)

great feedback, i really appreciate it lucid :)

EDIT: i responded to some posts above, as i cannot post but the guy who couldnt access it was making me wonder how a glitch like that could be fixed haha. forum wouldnt let me post, but would let me edit
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 7/11/2013 5:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Added to my bookmarks for when I decide to play a WD. Thanks for this Iso. Looks good so far.
Reply Quote
Very nice guide Iso, makes me think about finally rolling a WD.

Very well done.
Reply Quote
Hey Iso. Great write up. Good info of the in's and outs of the WD class, and the 3 tiers of progression.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]