Diablo® III

So crafting 9 radiants from flawless square takes 3 hrs

07/12/2013 09:01 AMPosted by ISmkPotatoes
Nobody would buy RS gems if it were instant, at least if the prices stay the way they are.

Ripping apart a critical link would, of course collapse the entire chain. So just removing the time constraints would not work, but that doesn't excuse the inherent poor design.
Reply Quote
07/11/2013 10:02 PMPosted by Darlynn
Since the crafting can be done, while AFK now, I don't see where is the issue.

games kicking you after 20 or 30min AFK so ... yeah ...
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 09:21 AMPosted by CrniVuk
Since the crafting can be done, while AFK now, I don't see where is the issue.

games kicking you after 20 or 30min AFK so ... yeah ...

No, it does not. When you mass craft gems, game does not consider you afk.

You only get kicked out, once the gem batch is finished.
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 09:11 AMPosted by ontheleft
I think there are two problems with this. One, no gems better than Flawless Square can ever drop, anywhere.

As someone who actively farms gems this has always puzzled me. You can find lvl 63 items left and right, many worth far, far more than the value of a Star (lvl 63). So why can't we find Perfect Squares, Radiant Squares, and Stars in Inferno? That seems borked.

Because crafting gems acts as a major gold sink.

At current state of the game, there is no way they can afford to remove any gold sinks by allowing anything above FS Squares to drop in game.
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 03:41 AMPosted by Vresiberba
If crafting gems would be the one and only way how to acquire high tier gems, then your arguments against such game design would carry a bit of weight.

Unless the auction houses generate them, it IS the only way to acquire them. Optional or not, it's still not a good game design to have the player just sit and wait. This game is riddled with these wait states, town portals, cave pillars, joining a game, leaving a game, dying, resurrecting. Everywhere you have to wait.

This isn't an MMO where waiting at least make some rudimentary sense but in a single player action (with emphasis on ACTION) role playing game, it just doesn't.

^^
Darlynn, seriously. You and logical arguments don't go well together.
Reply Quote
Because crafting gems acts as a major gold sink.At current state of the game, there is no way they can afford to remove any gold sinks by allowing anything above FS Squares to drop in game.

Is that the answer to everything? "It's a gold sink". Any possibility of improving play of the game is thwarted because Blizzard wants to skim (let me try to get this right -- 400K to craft a Star, 0.26 for 10M gold.. get out the calculator) 0.1 cents off of each Star gem I craft? Wow, I've heard of "microtransactions" but this is getting into nano territory (if it's true)
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 09:53 AMPosted by VinnyI

Unless the auction houses generate them, it IS the only way to acquire them. Optional or not, it's still not a good game design to have the player just sit and wait. This game is riddled with these wait states, town portals, cave pillars, joining a game, leaving a game, dying, resurrecting. Everywhere you have to wait.

This isn't an MMO where waiting at least make some rudimentary sense but in a single player action (with emphasis on ACTION) role playing game, it just doesn't.

^^

When there are 0 proper arguments, it's time to start personal attacks! :)
Reply Quote
07/12/2013 10:50 AMPosted by ontheleft
Because crafting gems acts as a major gold sink.At current state of the game, there is no way they can afford to remove any gold sinks by allowing anything above FS Squares to drop in game.

Is that the answer to everything? "It's a gold sink". Any possibility of improving play of the game is thwarted because Blizzard wants to skim (let me try to get this right -- 400K to craft a Star, 0.26 for 10M gold.. get out the calculator) 0.1 cents off of each Star gem I craft? Wow, I've heard of "microtransactions" but this is getting into nano territory (if it's true)

It's not "answer to everything".

I am just stating it how it is. They currently can't remove any goldsinks, unless they introduce some very attractive new ones!
Reply Quote
I'm not the kind of person who would want to waste the energy to run a computer for 4 hours simply to craft 9 radiant stars from Flawless square. That is just completely ridiculous. I can't see how anyone's answer of 'just go afk for 4 hours' is the correct response.

If for some reason they need to keep a 3 second timer per craft, then do it in batches at least.
Reply Quote

^^

When there are 0 proper arguments, it's time to start personal attacks! :)

Oh heavens no, just an acute observation at the current occurrences in this thread.
Reply Quote
Simple and VIABLE change to fix all gem crafting issues.
Remember where the gems are counted and says
[9] Flawless Square Topaz.
This means you have 9x2 = 18 Square Topaz
With those 9 Flawless Square Topaz you can craft: 3 Perfect Square Topaz
And with those, you can craft: 1 Radiant Square Topaz

Only if you have all the gold and tomes required, why not make the game automatically tell you that you can craft all those gems, and display like this:
[9] Flawless Square Topaz = 100x9: 900 gold; 1x9: 9 Tomes of Jewelcrafting; 2x9: 18 Square Topaz
[3] Perfect Square Topaz = 90,900 gold; 9 Tomes of Secrets; 9 Tomes of Jewelcrafting; 18 Square Topaz
[1] Radiant Square Topaz = 140,900 gold; 15 Tomes of Secrets; 9 Tomes of Jewelcrafting 18 Square Topaz

All that, is assuming you have the gold, tomes and gems required and DO want to craft that Radiant Square. Things would be much easier and only 1 step crafting. Obviously, that craft would not be 3 seconds; make it 10 minutes or something reasonable. Maybe due to this time being fixed and quite big is the reason they don't want to install this. They can't locate a 3 hour wait and specify that without receiving even more complaints....
Reply Quote
Simple and VIABLE change to fix all gem crafting issues.
Remember where the gems are counted and says
[9] Flawless Square Topaz.
This means you have 9x2 = 18 Square Topaz
With those 9 Flawless Square Topaz you can craft: 3 Perfect Square Topaz
And with those, you can craft: 1 Radiant Square Topaz

Only if you have all the gold and tomes required, why not make the game automatically tell you that you can craft all those gems, and display like this:
[9] Flawless Square Topaz = 100x9: 900 gold; 1x9: 9 Tomes of Jewelcrafting; 2x9: 18 Square Topaz
[3] Perfect Square Topaz = 90,900 gold; 9 Tomes of Secrets; 9 Tomes of Jewelcrafting; 18 Square Topaz
[1] Radiant Square Topaz = 140,900 gold; 15 Tomes of Secrets; 9 Tomes of Jewelcrafting 18 Square Topaz

All that, is assuming you have the gold, tomes and gems required and DO want to craft that Radiant Square. Things would be much easier and only 1 step crafting. Obviously, that craft would not be 3 seconds; make it 10 minutes or something reasonable. Maybe due to this time being fixed and quite big is the reason they don't want to install this. They can't locate a 3 hour wait and specify that without receiving even more complaints....

good idea.. Id say the npc takes all your mats and depends on how many gems you can craft it will say oh.. ok ill craft all those come here to take your stuff in XXX hours.. the XXX depends on the ammount of gems.. it will still takes time and you can actually go train or farm or what ever.. or actually LOG OFF and go sleep and save Band for people who's actually playing...
Edited by Msedek#1342 on 8/5/2013 4:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Covetous Shen is the jeweler. I should be able to just give him the mats and walk away to kill stuff while he "Combines" my gems. It's not like I'm the one glueing them together or whatever he does to combine them right? That way it takes "time" and I still get to do my job as the Nephalem and thrash the forces of darkness. Just saying HE'S the jeweler right? Let him do his thing and not make me stand there. If it takes four hours to combo them, then make me stay in game, but not in town watching over his shoulders. Not that it personally matters to me, I upgrade my gems on a whim.
Edited by Orakio#1180 on 8/31/2013 3:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
News flash. Diablo 3 is a time sink. In other news, water is wet.

I hate the wait too even just for a Star gem.
Reply Quote
The time commitment helps keep the value of gems consistent. If the time taken to craft gems was reduced, the value of gems would drop accordingly. It's called economics guys. Good job Diablo on keeping the timer in place. They obviously understand this, otherwise they would have implemented everyone's instant gratification demands, and the economy would have completely collapsed a long time ago.
Reply Quote
And honestly, if people are so unhappy with having to invest time to get return in games, then go play Halo 4 or Black Ops, or EVERY other game on the market that just gives everything away and then it's sitting on your dvd shelf for the rest of eternity without ever so much as a nostalgia play because the new version of the franchise gives you exactly the same immediate gratification but with better graphics.
Reply Quote

What's the point? why have people AFK 4 hours to craft some gems? the idea should be to play the game not AFK for 4hrs.

Who could possibly think it's great design to have people AFKing for hours to make gems. Poor game design.

What's the point to farm mobs for thousands of hours to get some items? I want full BiS set to drop off first normal mode zombie!!!

As I said, it's a CHOICE to craft the gems, by sacrificing some time. It's not mandatory to craft gems.

..... Because sitting in town, not moving, crafting, is the same as playing and killing mobs and elites finding loot.

Oh wait its not, your wrong, woops.
Reply Quote
To avoid having players make a living off of Diablo 3, and although I'm not opposed to making a little money, it is not good for people to start relying on a game for income.
Reply Quote
Basically its boils down to time vs money. If you dont want to spend the 3 hrs crafting the gems, then sell all the lesser gems you have and just buy the gems you want. You pay extra then if you crafted it but you save those 3 hrs. Someone has the time on their hands to craft those gems for you.

As someone said, do the lesser craft as afk. Its 2/3 of the time of the entire process anyway. Come back in 2hrs and set up the next lesser craft. Thats 87% of the entire crafting done then. If not just sell the lowest crafts you have and buy about 2 ranks up from there and craft. You'll save some money and not pay the fullest price if you straight brought em.

The only thing I can see if they do decide to change is that they just make it one craft at the set you say. So if you set it to craft 50 gems, one craft process and youll have 50 gems. If you didnt have the mats for 50, it wouldnt let you craft. Thats the only thing I see them changing if they do decide to. But then profit margin will basically become 0 and the cost on the AH will be the cost of the tomes and vendor costs. Really the profits arnt all that much right now anyway with it close to break even.
Reply Quote
For the past several days, it's been fairly normal for there to be no profit at all. I just checked and every radiant star is selling at a loss over the cost of crafting and materials. Just a week ago, it was decently profitable to craft gems while afk. Now, you are probably getting just as good a return by sitting on the gems and waiting for them to inflate.

This means that right now flawless squares are overvalued with respect to radiant stars. The rational response would be for people to stop crafting stars, which would lower the supply and straighten out the market to where there was an OK return for crafting them. But I'm not expecting the D3 market to act rationally any time soon. The recent ballooning of the gem market is an overreaction to the announcement of the expansion. In Blizzard time, that's coming somewhere in a year or a year and a half, which in real time means more like 2.5+ years. Not a real reason for moving AH prices now, but it happens anyway. When they announced new crafting recipes were on the way, the price of brimstones and other crafting materials skyrocketed. It was, of course, pure and baseless speculation.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]