Diablo® III

Hacked Roll back a joke

(Locked)

07/14/2013 08:55 AMPosted by vexorian
You fixed the account rollback dupe and have introduced the AH sale fraud. Put item in AH on sale. Sell it. Then claim you were hacked, and claim the item back. Great for you. Bad for the guy who bought the item.

Yeah, because there's just no way to track if an item has been sold and then reverse the transaction if deemed necessary... oh wait.. there is. Pfft. Vex.. get off the forums if you're going to be grotesquely dishonest. Please.

~Philoi.
Edited by Philoi#1655 on 7/14/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Yeah, because there's just no way to track if an item has been sold and then reverse the transaction if deemed necessary... oh wait.. there is. Pfft. Vex.. get off the forums if you're going to be grotesquely dishonest. Please.

~Philoi.

I think reversal of transactions just gets too messy. Lot of investigating has to be done, especially if the item has gone through numerous hands. Also, what if it wasn't a straight forward gold or cash transaction? What if someone did an item(s) to item(s)trade?
Edited by MerLock#1557 on 7/14/2013 2:42 PM PDT
1) Fails to protect his account.
2) Gets hacked and loses everything.
3) Asks for Rollback.
4) Gets a Rollback, but everything is BoA.
5) Complains about BoA while ignoring the fact that he got most of his stuff back.
6) Points fingers at Blizzard.

I'm not wishing anyone to be hacked, but if you don't protect yourself adequately, be thankful that they even give you something back.

If your items are worth something to you, get an Authenticator. If you don't want to use the Authenticator, create a new e-mail for Blizzard game only and create a unique password for it. Write it down on a paper and keep it somewhere safe. Scan your computer for virus/reformat. Don't go to fishy sites.

There's plenty of things that you can do to prevent being hacked. It's not 100% safe, but it's close to 99.99%
Edited by DoomBringer#1994 on 7/14/2013 3:10 PM PDT
1) Fails to protect his account.
2) Gets hacked and loses everything.
3) Asks for Rollback.
4) Gets a Rollback, but everything is BoA.
5) Complains about BoA while ignoring the fact that he got most of his stuff back.
6) Points fingers at Blizzard.

I'm not wishing anyone to be hacked, but if you don't protect yourself adequately, be thankful that they even give you something back.

If your items are worth something to you, get an Authenticator. If you don't want to use the Authenticator, create a new e-mail for Blizzard game only and create a unique password for it. Write it down on a paper and keep it somewhere safe. Scan your computer for virus/reformat. Don't go to fishy sites.

There's plenty of things that you can do to prevent being hacked. It's not 100% safe, but it's close to 99.99%

Everything Doombringer says is correct, but it fails to address an important factor here:
responsibility.

Whose responsibility is it to prevent our accounts to get hacked into and our items to get taken? Well, since Blizzard actually owns everything, it is *their* responsibility, not ours. This means that if they allow nonsense like this to happen to their items that they've lent out to us to play the game with.. well then either the hackers are damned good and/or Blizzard just doesn't care about our enjoyment or investment in this game.

Hmmm, go figure.

~Philoi.
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Whose responsibility is it to prevent our accounts to get hacked into and our items to get taken? Well, since Blizzard actually owns everything, it is *their* responsibility, not ours. This means that if they allow nonsense like this to happen to their items that they've lent out to us to play the game with.. well then either the hackers are damned good and/or Blizzard just doesn't care about our enjoyment or investment in this game.

So Blizzard should somehow monitor every website a player goes to, every bit of software they install on their PC, every email they respond to, every link they click?

Players are responsible for doing their part in safeguarding their own login information. They also can take advantage of additional security measures offered like the Free mobile Authenticator and SMS Protect. The login servers are designed to respond to the proper login/pass - so if a player gives that away to a hacker then the server won't know the difference. The login servers do have some login detection software that notes a change in pattern and can lock the player out, but until Bioauthentication becomes common online hackers will always take advantage of the careless, naive, or overconfident.

Also, you agreed that you are responsible for your own login information -section 5C of the TOU

You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the Login Information, and you will be responsible for all uses of the Login Information, including purchases, whether or not authorized by you. In the event you become aware of or reasonably suspect any breach of security, including without limitation any loss, theft, or unauthorized disclosure of the Login Information, you must immediately notify Blizzard by contacting http://www.battle.net/support .

So Blizzard should somehow monitor every website a player goes to, every bit of software they install on their PC, every email they respond to, every link they click?

Players are responsible for doing their part in safeguarding their own login information. They also can take advantage of additional security measures offered like the Free mobile Authenticator and SMS Protect. The login servers are designed to respond to the proper login/pass - so if a player gives that away to a hacker then the server won't know the difference. The login servers do have some login detection software that notes a change in pattern and can lock the player out, but until Bioauthentication becomes common online hackers will always take advantage of the careless, naive, or overconfident.

Also, you agreed that you are responsible for your own login information -section 5C of the TOU

You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the Login Information, and you will be responsible for all uses of the Login Information, including purchases, whether or not authorized by you. In the event you become aware of or reasonably suspect any breach of security, including without limitation any loss, theft, or unauthorized disclosure of the Login Information, you must immediately notify Blizzard by contacting http://www.battle.net/support .

MissCheetah:

Yawn. No, you know I'm not saying that Blizzard should be fully responsible for the passwords people come up with or whether or not those people are wise enough to keep them private, I never said that.. .. although, in some ways they are.. if you understood technology at all.. you'd know what I mean.

You're missing the point. Not all people who are hacked are hacked due to a fault of his/her own. I'm sure a lot are, but not all. I don't give out my password to anyone. Nobody. I could still be hacked though. That's why I don't worry about it too much. Even if I got an authenticator as you suggest, I could still get hacked. So, what's the point in inconveniencing myself for a game?

Think about it, you didn't actually respond to the meat of what I said. Blizzard allows us to use these items for our fun to produce happy gaming customers. How does it make us happy if they enact policies that assume we're scamming and then part of that policy disallows us from trading gear we are lucky enough to get back after being hacked into?

Personally, I'd be fine with that because I don't trade. But, what about folks who are the opposite of me and think that the AH is glorious and that trading is where it is at? What about folks who farmed for hundreds of hours to find an item *just* so he/she could trade it, not to use it. This trade might have allowed the player to obtain gears they actually needed. But now due to someone's incompetence or dishonesty that player won't get to do that now. So, those hundreds of hours were partially wasted. So, Blizzard doesn't care about our having fun in the trading game that they try to push us into using? How does that make sense?

Doesn't this contradict how they have allowed botters and exploits and multi-boxers etc to roam about ruining this game? Doesn't Blizzard have any investigative abilities at all? If it isn't worth their time/money, then why is it such a big deal for them to allow the player to have his/her items back or not?

If someone robs me of my wallet and I'm lucky enough to get it back before they spend the cash (I know this never happens in real life, this is just an example).. how do you think I'd feel if the cops said: well now, you were pretty dumb to lay your wallet down like that.. we got it back for you.. and here's your cash.. but you cannot use this cash for anything but food now. Want to buy a shirt or beer or go to a movie. Nope. You're money is bound to only food now.. in fact.. we're keeping your money and giving you these food stamps instead. Have fun now.

Yeah, that's what it is like.

Blizzard definitely comes up with great solutions that match up with problems. Not.

I swear, MissCheetah.. please don't try to strawman me again.. you knew I was talking about the items and the security of Blizzard's game.. not about people keeping tabs on their passwords.. you are just being silly.. if people are foolish enough to give out their passwords, they should expect to lose their accounts or items.. however, that doesn't cleanse the thief of guilt and that doesn't alleviate Blizzard of their responsibility to maintain and monitor the game and its servers and investigate theft or hacking in their own game..

Very disappointed,

~Philoi.
Yawn. No, you know I'm not saying that Blizzard should be fully responsible for the passwords people come up with or whether or not those people are wise enough to keep them private, I never said that

07/14/2013 04:25 PMPosted by Philoi
Whose responsibility is it to prevent our accounts to get hacked into and our items to get taken? Well, since Blizzard actually owns everything, it is *their* responsibility, not ours
07/14/2013 03:43 PMPosted by MissCheetah
They also can take advantage of additional security measures offered like the Free mobile Authenticator and SMS Protect.

oh, i didnt see anywhere on the d3 box that said a cellphone was a requirement for the game.

blizzard sells the game for 60 bucks in a box. throw in an authenticator if the security is so subpar that things can/will be hacked.

the free stuff is nice for those of us with cellphones/data/etc. so if I buy this game for my kid he has to have a cellphone too or else any account compromises are his fault?

oh wait, I have to pay 5 bucks or whatever else it is for the authenticator cuz they cant put one in the box? really?

and for those of you who say what about the digital purchases, those cost exactly the same as the boxed version. if i spare you the cost of boxing up software and distribution, then you can eat the shipping on an authenticator and even provide a soft authenticator until the real one arrives in standard mail.

this pennypinching is mindnumbingly stupid. you fanboys need to stop protesting common sense and hold them accountable.

IF YOUR GAME REQUIRES ADDITIONAL STUFF, IT NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED IN THE BOX AND LISTED AS A REQUIREMENT BEFORE YOU TAKE MY 60 DOLLARS
Well i can say that i have never cheated in any game... see no point in playin a game if u gonna cheat. just takes away from the game... im fixin to call blizzard and they WILL do something about it, cause to me it seems hackers are being glorified .... really !@#$ty
07/15/2013 11:43 AMPosted by HalfDead29
Well i can say that i have never cheated in any game... see no point in playin a game if u gonna cheat. just takes away from the game... im fixin to call blizzard and they WILL do something about it, cause to me it seems hackers are being glorified .... really !@#$ty

nothing to do with your lost . just saying that i love to use cheat code for fun.

MissCheetah:

Yawn. No, you know I'm not saying that Blizzard should be fully responsible for the passwords people come up with or whether or not those people are wise enough to keep them private, I never said that.. .. although, in some ways they are.. if you understood technology at all.. you'd know what I mean.

You're missing the point. Not all people who are hacked are hacked due to a fault of his/her own. I'm sure a lot are, but not all. I don't give out my password to anyone. Nobody. I could still be hacked though. That's why I don't worry about it too much. Even if I got an authenticator as you suggest, I could still get hacked. So, what's the point in inconveniencing myself for a game?

Think about it, you didn't actually respond to the meat of what I said. Blizzard allows us to use these items for our fun to produce happy gaming customers. How does it make us happy if they enact policies that assume we're scamming and then part of that policy disallows us from trading gear we are lucky enough to get back after being hacked into?

Doesn't this contradict how they have allowed botters and exploits and multi-boxers etc to roam about ruining this game? Doesn't Blizzard have any investigative abilities at all? If it isn't worth their time/money, then why is it such a big deal for them to allow the player to have his/her items back or not?

If someone robs me of my wallet and I'm lucky enough to get it back before they spend the cash (I know this never happens in real life, this is just an example).. how do you think I'd feel if the cops said: well now, you were pretty dumb to lay your wallet down like that.. we got it back for you.. and here's your cash.. but you cannot use this cash for anything but food now. Want to buy a shirt or beer or go to a movie. Nope. You're money is bound to only food now.. in fact.. we're keeping your money and giving you these food stamps instead. Have fun now.

Yeah, that's what it is like.

Blizzard definitely comes up with great solutions that match up with problems. Not.

~Philoi.

You missed a key step - in the case of the wallet, it would be more like the money was gone and you are expecting the wallet manufacturer to give you back your money that was in the wallet. In this case they can give it back (since it is digital), but in a real cash scenario, it is like them making a photo copy of it and giving you that. While you could use it, it is really not worth much to anybody else, more sentimental value to you.

As for responsibility, I would like to see one verifiable case where somebody got "hacked" at Blizzard's end. This has never been shown (even back shortly after launch, when everybody was getting "hacked"). What is happening is people are idiots and do not follow very well published guidelines (unique passwords for every site/service, 2-factor for items of value, carefully browsing internet/not installing every little widget somebody tries to talk you into installing). Most cases of people being "hacked" are due to attempting to cheat, or other nefarious acts.
well i called blizzard back and they tried to say that they told me about the binding account of my items WHICH THEY DID NOT!!!! the guy on the phone said there was nothin they could do... i am VERY disappointed in blizzard on how they treat the people that pay for they to go to work everyday.... Thanks blizzard for spitting in my face... I will never buy another blizzard game again.... also i will never play D3 again.... thanks for the disappointment... Shane Knight
Edited by HalfDead29#1687 on 7/15/2013 12:26 PM PDT
They also can take advantage of additional security measures offered like the Free mobile Authenticator and SMS Protect.

oh, i didnt see anywhere on the d3 box that said a cellphone was a requirement for the game.

blizzard sells the game for 60 bucks in a box. throw in an authenticator if the security is so subpar that things can/will be hacked.

the free stuff is nice for those of us with cellphones/data/etc. so if I buy this game for my kid he has to have a cellphone too or else any account compromises are his fault?

oh wait, I have to pay 5 bucks or whatever else it is for the authenticator cuz they cant put one in the box? really?

and for those of you who say what about the digital purchases, those cost exactly the same as the boxed version. if i spare you the cost of boxing up software and distribution, then you can eat the shipping on an authenticator and even provide a soft authenticator until the real one arrives in standard mail.

this pennypinching is mindnumbingly stupid. you fanboys need to stop protesting common sense and hold them accountable.

IF YOUR GAME REQUIRES ADDITIONAL STUFF, IT NEEDS TO BE INCLUDED IN THE BOX AND LISTED AS A REQUIREMENT BEFORE YOU TAKE MY 60 DOLLARS

Nobody says you have to have the authenticator, it is only necessary if you want extra protection due to bad behavior (questionable browsing, passwords) on your part. I know many, many who have never had an authenticator, and are careful that never have issues. As for needing a cell phone, no, you do not. Both of my sons (10,12) have cheap tablets with not internet connectivity other than wifi that both have the free authenticator. If you want an authenticator, you either pony up the whole $5 or put it on a device if you have one, but again it is not neccssary, and putting one in every box would be a waste for the probably large portion of the potential buyers that have some sort of device that a mobile authenticator works on.
Edited by Rukkian#1360 on 7/15/2013 12:32 PM PDT
Support Forum Agent
07/13/2013 10:23 PMPosted by HalfDead29
i was hacked the other day and called blizzard about it, at first they tried to talk me out of the roll back saying " most people like their accounts better after they had been hacked". .... After they finally did roll it back , i got on and all my items are account bound... i called about that and they said " well they are not supposed to be"... I have played diablo since the first... Blizzard has became a JOKE!!!!

We do understand that having your account broken into and messed with by someone else is not something anyone really wants to experience, which is why we do our best to try and get affected accounts back on track as soon as possible. That being said, the details of the Diablo III rollback procedure are detailed there on our public support article page.

We definitely encourage everyone to help protect their own accounts with the Authenticator and SMS Protect - you stand far less of a chance to be compromised with those on the account.

@HalfDead29 - if you have further inquiries about your specific issue, we ask that you respond to the last ticket that was sent in response to the compromise.
Thank you, this thread will now be locked.
Edited by Araxom on 7/15/2013 12:50 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]