Diablo® III

approaching and surpassing 250k, a few ideas

So I have devoted all I have to my doctor. Love playing him and it'll be the first class I take to 100. I'm currently ~230k DPS with 60k life and 700+ all resists. Only mana issue I have is when I mis calculate knock backs or have a tough single target. I'd like to meet and surpass 250k DPS while increasing HP if possible. I crafted some bracers with 6% cc, 7 PUR, no all resist, and a 6k DPS increase but I'm waiting on a few Zuni trail bids to balance the AR lost when I swap the bracers. After that I have a few options I'm debating.

-drop serpent for string of skulls and grab a visage with fire bat reduc. Problem with that is I haven't seen that increasing my DPS.

-drop serpent for string and grab a tals chest which can be a solid 15+k DPS increase but will probably not help my HP very much.

-switch to a skorn and ditch 1h/mojo all together then find a better vision.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Edited by Ride1226#1535 on 7/14/2013 2:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You could go with a mck. I simulated my knife on your char and you would gain 10k dps(with ruby). I found mine for 900m, so you are looking at around 1bill to get a good one.

It looks like you are gonna have spend alot of gold or crafts for an upgrade but they are there, it just depends on if you can afford or get lucky. Like you said, a better zuni vision will add dps. You could get some more dps from on your mojo. It might be time to get marq gems for chest and pants, thats an extra 20 int.
Reply Quote
Craft gloves. You can hit those trifecta stats on gloves with 120 to 220 more int.
Reply Quote
stack ias then get a 12mana fb vog like mine. i have 2.06aps and it takes 42sec for mana to deplete when town casting cob but you have to give up spirit vessel for blood ritual though.
Reply Quote
I was also debating the MCK as well. Is it worth it to get gory fetch as well or grab a string and change to visage?

I'm also currently farming essense to craft marquise.

Crafting gloves is definitely a good idea. Gonna take some time though. Had a few sales over the past day so I should have 2b+ to play around with.
Reply Quote
Impking, can't seem to figure out how to get into your profile to see your knife but 10k DPS for a bil isn't bad. My wep was like 200k when I first built my doc a month ago.
Reply Quote
07/14/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Ride1226
I was also debating the MCK as well. Is it worth it to get gory fetch as well or grab a string and change to visage?

I go with the serpent. If you can get your hands on a good gory fetch then its worth it, but most good ones run over 2 bill.

string and visage isn't really necessary but is great for mana. You will have to pay a ton to maintain similar dps if you switch to it.
Reply Quote
07/14/2013 03:35 PMPosted by Ride1226
Impking, can't seem to figure out how to get into your profile to see your knife but 10k DPS for a bil isn't bad. My wep was like 200k when I first built my doc a month ago.

oops forgot to link

this is my profile:
http://d3up.com/b/330913

If you haven't used d3up, you can simulate items by importing your build from bnet

here is yours:
http://d3up.com/b/865359
Reply Quote
Nice knife! I'll have to see about getting a better one of those and then just a better vision. That plus my bracers and trail switch plus 20 more int from gems will take me to 250k. Then I can take it for a test ride and see how mana feels and what I think needs buffing. My ehp is really low in comparison to you impking. What would you recommend to up my vit? Thanks again! Awesome suggestions.
Reply Quote
just so u guys know...sheet DPS isnt everything for WD
especially MCK...these things are terrible for end game gearing cuz a big portion of the damage is not black

u might have a nice sheet DPS but performance-wise, you are wayyy below a black damage weapon user

@ride1226
your weapon is good...
however your bracers, gloves could get a significant upgrade by crafting
rings...u should hunt for higher int, average damage and drop the attack speed
your mojo is kinda meh cuz it doesnt have mana regen

don't stack attackspeed for the sake of having a big sheet DPS number
read the cloud of bats guide
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9377379828

it shows u how u should be progressing with gear instead of just mindlessly stacking wrong stats
u should have enough mana regen or mana reduction to sustain higher attack speed mana drain
Reply Quote
It was my understanding from that guide that IAS works and its just a matter of being able to sustain the extra mana used. I don't have any issues with that. I do realize that average damage and int are great things though of course. I don't feel like adding mana regen to my mojo would help because like I said I have no mana issues right now however if I could find one that ups DPS and has that stat I'd be all over it for the added support.

Maybe I'm totally wrong about IAS?
Reply Quote
It was my understanding from that guide that IAS works and its just a matter of being able to sustain the extra mana used. I don't have any issues with that. I do realize that average damage and int are great things though of course. I don't feel like adding mana regen to my mojo would help because like I said I have no mana issues right now however if I could find one that ups DPS and has that stat I'd be all over it for the added support.

Maybe I'm totally wrong about IAS?

There's lots of misunderstanding about ias.

You are correct, IAS is a good thing...as long as you don't run out of mana. So most people minimize it. However, if you can sustain mana with ias, then perfect, go for it. 200k dps achieved with ias or not is still 200k damage per second. The dps number isn't "fake" dps as some think it is. My point of view is carry as much ias as you can manage, without running out of mana.

There's also a lot of misunderstanding about "sheet" dps. xSkilling is the perfect example. Oh you have great "sheet" dps, but your performance isn't as good as a black dmg weap? What does that mean? i wish someone would explain that to me.

When you put a black dmg weap on, all your elemental dmg's like on a tal's ammy and zuni boots go up. This is reflected on the "sheet" dps, so the "sheet" dps goes up. There isn't a hidden special magical dmg that you do with a black weapon or is there?
Reply Quote
07/14/2013 01:56 PMPosted by Ride1226
So I have devoted all I have to my doctor. Love playing him and it'll be the first class I take to 100.

It's nice that you've decided to make WD your main.

I looked at your post and your profile and I'll leave behind some pointers for your consideration:
1) The Skorn path has lower DPS than the 1H path. Top-end Skorn players can probably get about 260k DPS unbuffed, or 230k/300k DPS with an SoJ. Top-end 1H players can probably get about 400k DPS unbuffed. The benefit of Skorn, is the lifesteal, which allows for lazy tanking and lower requirements on eHP and mitigation. If DPS is what motivates you, stick to the 1H path.

2) Mana management is a separate topic altogether. As you increase your APS, you need to increase your "max mana" or "mana regen" or "-FB casting cost". They go hand-in-hand and need to balance. Act 1 FoM is not a good place to test for mana stability, and GI/GF distorts the test due to its conditional usage and effectiveness. The most conservative mana "stress test" is done in town, while testing in Act 4 or Ubers can be reasonably "stressful" as well. We usually want a bit of buffer mana surplus, so that we can make full use of shrines, group buffs, or BBV "snap shots".

3) The "snap shot" is the most important mechanic of the CoB. Literally, we go around the game and take beautiful buffed pictures and hold our CoB channel. If you are forced to reposition or something breaks your channel, you lose the "snap shot" and the picture resets. It will be a sad situation, if you set up SH, GF, BBV for >100% DPS buff, and you lose the channel just because you do not have the proper mana management. Restarting the channel will lose a huge multiplier.

4) I noted that your Armor and Life is a bit low for the 1H path. Possibly you'd get 1-shot by several things in-game, especially when you're not using FA and JF. Reinforcing the points above, if you have good mitigation, you won't need to reposition often. Good defences will lead to good survival, which provides higher DPS throughput.

5) Your main concern - DPS. Your gloves and rare ring can get extra 300 Intel for just these 2 items. Another 50 Paragon levels will provide 150 Intel and 100 Vit. That 450 Intel is probably 27k-30k DPS for you.

For a long time (6 months), I wanted to reach 50% CHC to "look good". Then I came to enjoy the game and no longer desire to "look good" on the character sheet, even though I can finally afford to reach that 50% CHC mark - the gear needed will throw my character off-balance and sacrifice too much eHP and mitigation.
Reply Quote
especially MCK...these things are terrible for end game gearing cuz a big portion of the damage is not black

u might have a nice sheet DPS but performance-wise, you are wayyy below a black damage weapon user

I've heard this info before and I'm almost positive it is false. The extra dmg from black dmg and %elemental items is calculated into sheet dmg.
If d3up shows his dps increase when simulating the mck then the mck is doing more dmg.

I used a black dmg weapon before my current mck and I'm almost positive there isn't some "hidden extra damage."
Reply Quote
I'm gonna do some knife and weapon shopping tomorrow in general. Also gonna take a look at the serpent market to see if anything can be gained there. Hopefully I won a bid on some AR trails and I can put on my int bracers with PUR and balance that for a 6-7k DPS increase. Depending on essence drops I'll grab a couple more marquise tomorrow as well. My goal for the end of my play tomorrow is 250k unbuffed and 65k HP with 700ar. That'd be pretty ideal. If I got my armor up that'd be even better but we shall see what the crafting and AH gods permit.

I plan to do some glove crafting as well, and maybe some ring shopping if anything pops up at a reasonable cost.

Then my debate will be stick with vision vs going visage. Love the way that helm looks but not sure a GG string and visage is in my budget right now.
Reply Quote

I've heard this info before and I'm almost positive it is false. The extra dmg from black dmg and %elemental items is calculated into sheet dmg.
If d3up shows his dps increase when simulating the mck then the mck is doing more dmg.

I used a black dmg weapon before my current mck and I'm almost positive there isn't some "hidden extra damage."

There isn't any extra hidden dmg. There is no magic. Everything is reflected in the DPS number
Reply Quote
Are you talking about 2-3b for a manajuma set or for your whole gear set?

If I could hit 250+ DPS with 4k armor 750ish resists and 70+k life id be totally satisfied. I know that won't be easy but its a good goal I feel. Of course the servers have to be down the only chance I get to play though.
Reply Quote
If you go with a really good mana set you not only gain DPS but EHP to an extent with the high natural int on knife and the extra 130 from set bonus.

A very good set will set you back 4 billion +
Reply Quote
Guess its one piece at a time for me haha. Sounds like a win win all around though.

The only thing that scares me about the manajuma set is the fear on the fetch. We want mobs to walk into our cloud, not out. Anyone get slowed down by that?
Edited by Ride1226#1535 on 7/16/2013 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]