Diablo® III

Loved Titan Quest? Support Grim Dawn!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

I'm here to sound like a shill, but I thoroughly believe this game is going to blow D3 out of the water in most categories for serious ARPG fans and they don't do much marketing...

It just released Alpha to early backers and already looks ten times better than PoE. It also better than D3 in my opinion. They are a small development team and therefore slow but they know what they're doing as those of you who enjoyed TQ and its expansion know already as these are the former TQ developers.

It has several ...75 plus levels I believe... of a dual class system with classes like Soldier, Commando and Occultist, an actual dark and NOVEL setting for these kinds of games which is a gaslight Victorian kind of horror setting. LAN play is available, DRM free etc etc.

Instead of pay2win plans it looks like they are planning to do straight DLC with extra classes in the DLC from what I can tell.

If you never played Titan Quest and the expansion you really should as it's still competitive with the level of quality in games turned out these days IMO. A deep dual-class skill system, fun loot and interesting setting (Greek Mythology).

Site's in the top line to check out for yourself, read the FAQ and look at the media and draw your own conclusions.

Personally, I have shelved D3 in favor of games with this sort of content and pay structure such as you can find in Borderlands 2. I don't enjoy a pay2win skinner box substituting for actual quality and content in a game and I hope other gamers start waking up to this fact of base manipulation by companies and tell them to shove it so we'll see less shallow crap produced and good franchises ruined. Plants Vs. Zombies 2's recent release is another example of corporate greed destroying a good game.
Reply Quote
I'm in the alpha for GD and yes it's pretty good so far.

I would suggest people to go for the beta package unless you really want the higher tiered packages for the alpha (and other goodies) because the beta will be even more awesome then the alpha.

Anyways a few more things to add to what GD will have:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

-Weather
-Factions
-Survival Mode
-Quests that actually impact areas that you are in (so new survivors in the town, fixing a water pump and stuff like that)
-Large open world
-End game bosses
-End game high level dungeons
-Promises of more expansions for more classes and higher max levels
-Excellent music
-Modding
-Online multiplayer (not closed server though perhaps if GD is successful they will eventually love to add this), LAN.
-PVP with hopes of creating arenas which would support a larger amount of players then usual (I believe the normal party size will be 4-6 when it comes to multiplayer)

So yea... my opinion is that Grim Dawn is looking quite good so far and I really hope the game will be successful so the devs can continue adding more cool stuff later on (as well as make improvements on already existing parts of the game).
Reply Quote
View profile
07/14/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Otaking
an actual dark and NOVEL setting for these kinds of games which is a gaslight Victorian kind of horror setting.

Torchlight and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing say hi.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 7/14/2013 11:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/14/2013 11:21 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
Torchlight and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing say hi.

Well I have both those games, and I wouldn't call Torchlight horror, also any gaslight Victorian feel in it seems buried under generic default fantasy to me.

I haven't gotten into Van Helsing yet as it looks somewhat promising but it is also pretty simple in some ways, only one class is a big one, and also its sitting in my backlog behind BL2 and Dragon's Dogma. You're right though, there is one other Victorian-era Horror ARPG out there.

I wonder how many default fantasy ARPG settings we can list...
Reply Quote
View profile
07/14/2013 01:20 PMPosted by Otaking
I wouldn't call Torchlight horror, also any gaslight Victorian feel in it seems buried under generic default fantasy to me.

I'm no fan of Torchlight, but its setting is anything but "generic default fantasy setting". Also, despite the cartoony graphics, the game is as much of a "horror" game as Grim Dawn, as it rips off Diablo II's story, atmosphere and music.
Reply Quote
07/14/2013 01:56 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
I'm no fan of Torchlight, but its setting is anything but "generic default fantasy setting". Also, despite the cartoony graphics, the game is as much of a "horror" game as Grim Dawn, as it rips off Diablo II's story, atmosphere and music.

Torchlight rips off some D2 mechanics like every ARPG D-clone has done for 20 years, sure.

Grim Dawn looks to be a lot more about horror to me from looking at the media on the site, there's a player class called Occultist running around casting pentagrams with a demon pet. Much edgier than anything in D3 already. Torchlight on the other hand has you running around with a cute doggy or badger or ferret...it's high on the cuteness and cartoon graphics. Which is fine for that game, it has its own style.

I don't really see it as much of a ripoff of D2 as some ARPG clones have been. Really any ARPG clone with a health globe on the left and a mana globe on the right is a ripoff of Diablo.

I don't find your opinions to be making a lot of sense.
Reply Quote

Torchlight rips off some D2 mechanics like every ARPG D-clone has done for 20 years, sure.

Grim Dawn looks to be a lot more about horror to me from looking at the media on the site, there's a player class called Occultist running around casting pentagrams with a demon pet. Much edgier than anything in D3 already. Torchlight on the other hand has you running around with a cute doggy or badger or ferret...it's high on the cuteness and cartoon graphics. Which is fine for that game, it has its own style.

I don't really see it as much of a ripoff of D2 as some ARPG clones have been. Really any ARPG clone with a health globe on the left and a mana globe on the right is a ripoff of Diablo.

I don't find your opinions to be making a lot of sense.

@JohnnyZeWolf, How did TL ripoff Diablo2 story? There's no direct connection. If you are referring to the setting (atmosphere), that's like saying all horror movies ripped off some other horror movie. Or all romantic movies ripped off some other romantic movie. Oh, and did you know both D2 and TL were made by ex-Blizzard North? If you ask the same guy to make a bunch of different games, there's probably gonna be some similarities between them. Just like the same director for different movies or writer for different books.

The ARPG genre didnt really evolve much so i wouldn't say that ARPG1 ripped off ARPG2 as well. Minor tweaks perhaps. I do welcome developers to try new things. TL2 bought us endgame map generators, D3 has AH, and PoE experimented with gem-skills and a gold-free currency.

----------------

@Otaking

Will GD have an open beta? When can we expect it to be more complete? I cant find much info on the game itself from the internet. Its wikia is pretty empty.
Edited by TheCursed#6888 on 7/14/2013 7:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@Otaking

Will GD have an open beta? When can we expect it to be more complete? I cant find much info on the game itself from the internet. Its wikia is pretty empty.

I couldn't say but they're in the 'when it's done' mode as far as release dates. They seem to be pretty communicative on their forums though and I emailed the producer once myself right after the restructuring of Iron Lore into Crate Entertainment and got a reply. They're definitely not into marketing and hype.
Reply Quote
@Otaking

I couldn't say but they're in the 'when it's done' mode as far as release dates. They seem to be pretty communicative on their forums though and I emailed the producer once myself right after the restructuring of Iron Lore into Crate Entertainment and got a reply. They're definitely not into marketing and hype.

All the best to them then. Personally i will need more info before i decide to pick it up because of time constraints. It's good that they are not into marketing and hype but its important that they stand out among competition as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]