Diablo® III

Are Developer Resources Being Constrained By Console?

Just curious if anyone has any qualified information on this topic. I've read in a number of user posts that claim developer resources are being tied up working on the console version over patching the original, but haven't found anything yet confirming this among blue posts.

On that note, I thought the patch team and console team were supposed to be separate, working independently from one another.

Not that my opinion matters, but seems a pretty brazen, "in-your-face" move to critics of the game's current state if patch progression is indeed being stalled in favor of console development.
Reply Quote
Most likely ....... That's why we won't get anything new until after it been out for a few months.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
07/15/2013 04:13 PMPosted by Sungrey
I've read in a number of user posts

"Other users" are not reputable data sources. They know just as much as you do...which is to say they don't know. Blizzard has said they are separate teams, which would make sense given they are working in completely different languages on completely different platforms. For now, that is all the data we have.
Reply Quote
The teams are separate with a little crossover at times. But the PC team is hard at work on the itemization overhaul (Loot 2.0) and the Expansion right now. It's been indirectly confirmed that the Expansion will be shown at Blizzcon this year so they are full steam ahead on that.
Reply Quote
well at least we get a full reset for the expansion then i hope
Reply Quote
If blizzard states that timelines are long for an aspect of development, it's because they aren't hiring developers and the one's they do hire the under-pay.

Software engineers can make more out of school then blizzard is paying people with 3-5 years of experience, it's pretty outrageous.
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 05:30 PMPosted by DamienJohn
It's been indirectly confirmed that the Expansion will be shown at Blizzcon this year so they are full steam ahead on that.

That was only the writer's opinion and he explicitly said so. Blizzard has never said that.

D3 PC needs its own game director that can focus exclusively on the neglected PC version. As things are right now there is One game director for D3 both the console and PC versions. Good for Blizzard not for PC gamers. Especially since it is now confirmed that work on the PS4 version will go on into 2014.
Edited by hawkeye#1460 on 7/15/2013 6:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The PC version was just the fund raising scheme for the console release.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
07/15/2013 04:13 PMPosted by Sungrey
Just curious if anyone has any qualified information on this topic. I've read in a number of user posts that claim developer resources are being tied up working on the console version over patching the original, but haven't found anything yet confirming this among blue posts.
We have a separate team of developers that have been dedicated to bringing Diablo III to consoles. While they and the PC team do collaborate from time to time to ensure that we're delivering an authentic Diablo III experience to consoles, the two teams operate independently.

There is a lot of stuff we're working on for the PC version of Diablo III right now, and you can find out a bit more about some of it in part one of this podcast that Inc Gamers had with Josh Mosqueira and Wyatt Cheng last week, as well as a recent developer interview on Twizzcast, and another series of interviews with had with Diablo Somepage last month.

It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner, but know that both the Diablo III PC team and console teams are hard at work on their respective versions of the game, and neither is holding the other up. As we have further information, we'll be sure to share it with you. :)
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 06:30 PMPosted by Vaeflare
It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner

I think a lot of people would just love to know for sure that there is a corner.
Reply Quote
Can we trade the pc dev team for the console dev team?
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 06:53 PMPosted by TheMove
Can we trade the pc dev team for the console dev team?

They said the ah was largely due to technical restraints and removing the ah won't solve anything nor do I want it removed.
Reply Quote
Can we get a full time game director who focuses exclusively on the PC Version???

Is that too much to ask for 12 million games sold at $60 + RMAH revenue.

Or is the PC version now the neglected step child of the Console version.
Edited by hawkeye#1460 on 7/15/2013 7:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Cheers for the post.

I think you guys should keep a PTR server up full time.
Any changes pre-patch, load them up.
You have a willing test crew waiting for anything!
Want to try out a PVP arena, lets go!
Buffs to class skills, yes please, let's test stuff!

We have a separate team of developers that have been dedicated to bringing Diablo III to consoles. While they and the PC team do collaborate from time to time to ensure that we're delivering an authentic Diablo III experience to consoles, the two teams operate independently.

There is a lot of stuff we're working on for the PC version of Diablo III right now, and you can find out a bit more about some of it in [url="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-diablo-3-podcast-100-josh-mosqueira-and-wyatt-cheng-interview"]part one of this podcast that Inc Gamers had with Josh Mosqueira and Wyatt Cheng last week[/url], as well as [url="http://twizzcast.com/"]a recent developer interview on Twizzcast[/url], and [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1572-june-2013-interview-of-josh-mosqueira-travis-day-and-kevin-martens"]another series of interviews with had with Diablo Somepage last month[/url].

It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner, but know that both the Diablo III PC team and console teams are hard at work on their respective versions of the game, and neither is holding the other up. As we have further information, we'll be sure to share it with you. :)
Reply Quote
and neither is holding the other up.

Sorry that isn't going to fly.
Reply Quote
Posted by Vaeflareand neither is holding the other up.

07/15/2013 07:33 PMPosted by Krine
Sorry that isn't going to fly.

+4 Billion
Reply Quote
It wouldn't surprise me if some of the PC team was helping the console team out, with their roll-out coming up; we already know that the reverse happened prior to the PC launch. I don't know that the skill/item revamp is being held up by a personnel shortage on the PC side, though.

I'm guessing that the long delay for the next content update for PC is two-fold:
1) the systems that they're working on (items and skills) touch on so many areas of the game that it's just a big job even to decide exactly what changes they want to include in a patch, let alone to execute them;
2) uncertainty over how changes would be received is complicating the process.

I'm thinking that they might be busy brain-storming while they wait to see how the console ports are received, so that they have a better sense of how healthy the franchise is, generally. If console sales meet or exceed expectations, then they'll try to alter the formula as little as they can now, and save big changes for an expansion. On the other hand, if console sales disappoint, then we could see something rather more ambitious in the "2.0" revamp.

That's my 2gp worth of 100% pure speculation, and maybe entirely wrong, so... take with a handful of salt, OK?
Reply Quote

There is a lot of stuff we're working on for the PC version of Diablo III right now, and you can find out a bit more about some of it in [url="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-diablo-3-podcast-100-josh-mosqueira-and-wyatt-cheng-interview"]part one of this podcast that Inc Gamers had with Josh Mosqueira and Wyatt Cheng last week[/url], as well as [url="http://twizzcast.com/"]a recent developer interview on Twizzcast[/url], and [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1572-june-2013-interview-of-josh-mosqueira-travis-day-and-kevin-martens"]another series of interviews with had with Diablo Somepage last month[/url].

Sorry, but based on my gut feeling that the earlier announcement that the next patch will be after Blizzcon and the upcoming console release tells me otherwise. Probably they roped in some but not all of the PC guys to help out on the consoles. Being consoles will be a new cash cow and PC already has the AH and nothing else to generate new revenue.

Maybe the big wigs finally learned their lessons from the PC release and plan to have a less buggy/beta game for consoles.
Reply Quote

@Vaeflare, you're doing yeoman work for the Blizzard cause, and I'm sure they appreciate it, but this answer is really starting to feel like a copy/paste; nobody asking the OP's question is satisfied by this boilerplate response anymore. Just saying.
Reply Quote
Technically, since some developer resources are working on the console, by definition that deprives the PC team of effort that could go into pc patches.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]