Diablo® III

Are Developer Resources Being Constrained By Console?

07/15/2013 06:30 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We have a separate team of developers that have been dedicated to bringing Diablo III to consoles. While they and the PC team do collaborate from time to time to ensure that we're delivering an authentic Diablo III experience to consoles, the two teams operate independently.

Sure you do. Just like Clark Kent and Superman are two different people.
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 05:30 PMPosted by DamienJohn
The teams are separate with a little crossover at times. But the PC team is hard at work on the itemization overhaul (Loot 2.0) and the Expansion right now. It's been indirectly confirmed that the Expansion will be shown at Blizzcon this year so they are full steam ahead on that.

Hope they're just a little harder at work than they were on PVP. Cant understand they could be even thinking about expanision with the holes that are left to be fixed with this version. Call me crazy but i'm not going to start building a second level on my house while its infested with termites.

Expansion should not be a given, it should be something that is released when people are craving more, not disgruntled with what they have. No other game in this state would be contemplating an expansion at this point, this one is once again going to release on the back of its name? Then again it is the quickest way to more cash, no quality necessary.
Reply Quote
Thank you for the post blue. Just curious why it took soooooooo long to get an answer to this question? I see it debated so much on the forums about what blizz is doing, who is doing what, is console holding up PC etc... seems to be a simple answer from you and wondering why we haven't heard this a month ago?

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Vyleblud
It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner

I think a lot of people would just love to know for sure that there is a corner.

Oh there's a corner...just don't get surrounded in it...I WILL CHECK!
Reply Quote
Thank you for the post blue. Just curious why it took soooooooo long to get an answer to this question? I see it debated so much on the forums about what blizz is doing, who is doing what, is console holding up PC etc... seems to be a simple answer from you and wondering why we haven't heard this a month ago?

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with

They said this a month ago. They can only answer the same questions so many times without getting frustrated, I'm sure.
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 08:03 PMPosted by Belegur
Cant understand they could be even thinking about expanision with the holes that are left to be fixed with this version.

07/15/2013 08:03 PMPosted by Belegur
Expansion should not be a given, it should be something that is released when people are craving more, not disgruntled with what they have.

The major issues with this version are itemization and build diversity. Both of these issues plan to be addressed with "Loot 2.0", the latter in the form of build-enabling gear stats.

Loot 2.0 will drop before the expansion release.

Once it has I think the core game will be on very solid ground and more than worthy of an expansion release.

Oh and before someone says it; lack of PvP is not an issue. Diablo is an item-grinding game and a PvE experience at it's soul. I'd much rather an expansion be released (post itemization/diversity fix) than wait for a PvP element that I and many others will barely touch. Diablo is and always has been a PvE game, PvP is not integral to the experience whatsoever.
Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 7/15/2013 10:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Vyleblud
It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner

I think a lot of people would just love to know for sure that there is a corner.

AGREED.

LOL <<<<<<<<<<<saw this comment and THAT is all I could do.
Reply Quote
It's been indirectly confirmed that the Expansion will be shown at Blizzcon this year so they are full steam ahead on that.

That was only the writer's opinion and he explicitly said so. Blizzard has never said that.

I'm not referencing Flux's thoughts, I'm referencing the highlight article for their interview with the devs that strongly suggests the answer is yes;

Will we see the Diablo 3 Expansion debut at Blizzcon this year? (The answer was not, “No comment.”)

Either way we will find out Tuesday when Part 2 of the actual interview is posted.

There was also lots of information that directly alluded to D3X being in the works in this blizzard visit report; http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-future-of-diablo-3-fansite-summit-mega-report

I stated my opinion in the predictions at the top; that I think the devs are all crunching on D3X. This wasn’t anything the CMs or devs said in so many words, but comments such as, “we’re working on an expansion” were voiced a few times.
Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 7/15/2013 10:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Surt
Technically, since some developer resources are working on the console, by definition that deprives the PC team of effort that could go into pc patches.

nope. thats like saying a windows sysadmin can be unix sysadmin
a oracle dba admin can be a sybase/mariadb dba admin.

sure some people have multiple skills, but most certainly not the same facility/expertise
everyone has their niche expertise.

the fact when hiring, you hire people for their expertise. a console programmer is very much different from a pc programmer.
Reply Quote
nope. thats like saying a windows sysadmin can be unix sysadmin
a oracle dba admin can be a sybase/mariadb dba admin.

sure some people have multiple skills, but most certainly not the same facility/expertise
everyone has their niche expertise.

the fact when hiring, you hire people for their expertise. a console programmer is very much different from a pc programmer.

The problem with what you're saying is that this isn't engineering we're talking about, this is software and gaming hardware and networking.. there are so many people out there in need of work who could in some way shape or form be helping out the PC end of things and aren't. Whether they're working for Diablo console team or another business or just haven't been hired yet at all and are still in the pool of unemployed.. it doesn't really matter. What matters is that it appears that Blizzard's Diablo team has abandoned Diablo 3 PC and aren't hiring enough folks to put enough effort into Diablo 3 PC.

After having a horrible horrible launch followed by mediocre patching over a year, I'd say whether they're working on a huge patch or expansion or not.. they need to do some interim patch or vastly better communication.. events..or all of those... something, anything, to keep us awake and interested and convinced that there *is* a corner and that exciting things are on the other side. Right now, we're just not convinced.. some of us like me might be *hopeful*.. but even diehards like me are not convinced.. we don't expect anything great from this team as things currently stand. And no, I'm not talking for everyone, just critical but hopeful fans like me.

And before you call me entitled and say it isn't Blizzard's job to entertain us... well.. in fact.. it *is*.. that's the business that they're in folks. And, currently, they're failing millions of their customers and potential customers in that respect.

If I were a stockholder and I knew this... I'd be pissed.. sure in the short term.. they're doing **great!**.. but in the long term.. Blizzard has been shooting itself in the foot here. Regardless of whether or not it is the same team as Diablo 1 or 2 or not.. Blizzard owes it both to their stockholders and their fans to keep the quality of their product and their maintenance up way higher than they have been. That's it. They need to work better, faster. Not waaay faster.. just .. well any speed at all.

~Philoi.
Reply Quote
I think you guys should keep a PTR server up full time.
Any changes pre-patch, load them up.
You have a willing test crew waiting for anything!
Reply Quote

If I were a stockholder and I knew this... I'd be pissed.. sure in the short term.. they're doing **great!**.. but in the long term.. Blizzard has been shooting itself in the foot here. Regardless of whether or not it is the same team as Diablo 1 or 2 or not.. Blizzard owes it both to their stockholders and their fans to keep the quality of their product and their maintenance up way higher than they have been. That's it. They need to work better, faster. Not waaay faster.. just .. well any speed at all.

~Philoi.

well, i suppose in that case, the stockholders don't know what they are doing?

atvi
july 2012 :12.50
july 2013 :15.31

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=353353

anyway, isn't everything this takes about short term profiteering, for all you know, stockholders are there to make sure players are gouged for every cent possible at the greatest rate of investment possible, then they move on to the next thing.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 7/16/2013 1:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 06:30 PMPosted by Vaeflare
While they and the PC team do collaborate from time to time to ensure that we're delivering an authentic Diablo III experience to consoles

If only you'd have delivered any authentic Diablo experience with Diablo III...
- Captain Hindsight
Reply Quote
Each to their own opinions and i agree with alot of the thoughts expressed. The fact still remains that the game as it is in need of serious attention that needs to be addressed before an expansion is even thought of. As for the console version this should have been post-poned until the PC version was at a place in which players and developers were happy with. I am only a PC gamer and that's the way it will stay to me consoles feel like child's games regardless of the content and its a shame that large developers are moving from PC to console based platforms.
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 07:56 PMPosted by Waitubold
We have a separate team of developers that have been dedicated to

In my company i work in two teams, and have daily scrum meeting for both.

But we do have two separate teams.

The quirk is that developers can be shared across teams :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]