Diablo® III

Are Developer Resources Being Constrained By Console?

07/16/2013 04:26 AMPosted by Smoshy
Each to their own opinions and i agree with alot of the thoughts expressed. The fact still remains that the game as it is in need of serious attention that needs to be addressed before an expansion is even thought of. As for the console version this should have been post-poned until the PC version was at a place in which players and developers were happy with. I am only a PC gamer and that's the way it will stay to me consoles feel like child's games regardless of the content and its a shame that large developers are moving from PC to console based platforms.

The CEO of Activision/Blizzard said the future of gaming is making the same game for both platforms=PC + console,
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 05:25 PMPosted by MissCheetah
I've read in a number of user posts

"Other users" are not reputable data sources. They know just as much as you do...which is to say they don't know. Blizzard has said they are separate teams, which would make sense given they are working in completely different languages on completely different platforms. For now, that is all the data we have.

Hey...you can't interject common sense into these forums... you might interrupt the reception of the tinfoil hats. Or wait it's supposed to block the......hmm... :)
Reply Quote
07/16/2013 05:13 AMPosted by AxeLord

"Other users" are not reputable data sources. They know just as much as you do...which is to say they don't know. Blizzard has said they are separate teams, which would make sense given they are working in completely different languages on completely different platforms. For now, that is all the data we have.

Hey...you can't interject common sense into these forums... you might interrupt the reception of the tinfoil hats. Or wait it's supposed to block the......hmm... :)

Lailz!!1! G1 men tin foil hats!!!!
Reply Quote
What about a full time game director who can concentrate exclusively on the PC game?

Or is the game director so unimportant he can focus on the console and PC games simultaneously and that won't make a difference on the results of the two teams?

Work on the next-gen consoles, especially the ps4 which will include new features, will go into 2014. So it looks like we have ONE game director for D3 who will be the game director of both versions. Not good in view of the fact that thhe PC version requires so much fixing to become a good game.
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 11:05 PMPosted by UGotGanked

The major issues with this version are itemization and build diversity. Both of these issues plan to be addressed with "Loot 2.0", the latter in the form of build-enabling gear stats.

Loot 2.0 will drop before the expansion release.

Once it has I think the core game will be on very solid ground and more than worthy of an expansion release.

+ 1 After I learned D2 and played some builds in PvM the next step was PvP... It was a whole new challenge and gave a reason for the extreme über gear collection.. Its the same thing for basically all games I play

Once you have beaten PvM with a couple of buildsn only be fun for so long before you would want something else to strive for

Oh and before someone says it; lack of PvP is not an issue. Diablo is an item-grinding game and a PvE experience at it's soul. I'd much rather an expansion be released (post itemization/diversity fix) than wait for a PvP element that I and many others will barely touch. Diablo is and always has been a PvE game, PvP is not integral to the experience whatsoever.

For every person who says Diablo is pure PvE and PvP does not matter, someone will say the opposite, that PvP is the reason they geared up characters in the first place, because PKing in any way, shape or form is the most fun thing you can do with a character you built. PvP is a major issue, it has been from the very start, and even before that when half the fanbase was outraged PvP was being held back at so many stages of this game. If it was not a big deal, no one would be complaining about it. Obviously, a ton of people want PvP, there is no denying it.

The PvE aspect is obviously vital, and the item hunt is what Diablo is all about, but once you have enough to satisfy your desires, what do you have left to do besides challenge yourself against other players. PvPing against other capable players is the only challenge remaining in the game, and this is the normal cycle for any game that involves any form of competition. PvP is vital to any games ultimate success because it gives end-game players purpose to keep playing and finding small ways to get better. Every single Blizzard game in the past has used quality PvP options to keep players hooked for long periods of time, and it always works, be it Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft, or WoW. You get better the more you play, and the more you compete against other people, you collect as much as you can, and you earn your stripes.

Diablo is no different, only the short-sighted don't understand this about video games. If you hate PvP in Diablo no one is making you play it, but it WILL help the game immensely for all the people who need more end-game opportunities to continue enjoying their play time. Competition drives players to play more and be better, plain and simple. No one is asking for D3 to be the next E-sport, players just want a few viable PvP options to test their characters with besides having a single tiny stale map to FFA with random pubs with. At least give us some new maps to Brawl on, and enable team duels or deathmatch in the meantime while "Loot 2.0" is being worked on. That stuff won't be out for at least half a year, how about a few updates in the next several months?

+1 After I learned D2s mechanics and had made some builds for PvM Hell the next step was PvP... Otherwise it would become boring too quick... Its the way I play many games...

It gave a different build focus and a reason to hunt for the extreme über gear...
To say that PvP isn't important is to doom all for an endless item grind..
(brawling in the current interface state does not count as PvP - too random and without compatition!)

I bought this game and i'm holding Blizz on their word to deliver a game with more than an itemgrind
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 06:30 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We have a separate team of developers that have been dedicated to bringing Diablo III to consoles.

I believe you that there is a separate team. However, my guess is that many of the PC developers were transferred to the console team and never replaced; thus making the PC team separate, yet much smaller. Peace
Reply Quote
I just assume this is the case because its simply logical, who better rebuild for a new platform than the people who created the game originally. Hireing a completly new team and getting them to do catch up makes no sense, I would be more worried if this was the case.

It doesnt bother me at all really if they have done it, rather that they seem to use any excuse possible to draw things out and con us that they know what they're doing and game will be peachy anytime now. This time it's that all communication is about consoles. Another time its we're doing questions with the devs but only on topics we want to talk about. Another time its PVP blog is coming, wait no its not. Next time it will be we're waiting for Blizcon. If they need to do a complete overhaul im fine with it, but dont string evryone along im sick of hearing it. People will come back if they comunicate properly, produce quality results and stop stuffing evryone around.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
07/15/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Surt
Technically, since some developer resources are working on the console, by definition that deprives the PC team of effort that could go into pc patches.

Except their console team was hired specifically by looking at resumes that had things like AAA console game releases - they're not PC developers. They're people familiar with Microsoft and Sony, people who know how to cater to a console crowd, and people who can work with XBL and PSN. You can't mix and mash these two teams as easily as everyone here seems to think.

Also, I'd eat a hat if the console release wasn't already gold and being printed. The console game is done - it's shipping soon. The console devs are FAR more likely to be laying on couches playing Animal Crossing than they are to be running around the office at MACH 1 stressed out of their minds in crunch time (fyi in reality they're toying around with D3 console on the PS4 dev kits they just received - check out the recent interviews where they talk about this). Crunch time was probably a few months ago.

What are you guys even complaining about here, honestly?

Even if you don't believe them (and you're wrong to not believe them in this case, fyi), none of these complaints make sense any more.

07/16/2013 06:45 AMPosted by Belegur
I just assume this is the case because its simply logical, who better rebuild for a new platform than the people who created the game originally. Hireing a completly new team and getting them to do catch up makes no sense, I would be more worried if this was the case.

They're not doing catch-up? They took the code from D3 PC. They gutted the Battle.net parts and refitted the game to work with XBL and PSN, and then made console-specific gameplay/interface/control tweaks. It's not reinventing anything - it's still a port, even if it is a significant port.

They're a new team of console developers. Fine, you don't believe Blizzard because their logic is ruining your neat conspiracy theories. Look up the E3 video, the PAX East video, and everything else recent with the console team in them. Their names are announced in the intros to virtually all these events. Look them up on LinkedIn or Twitter. They're real people from notable console-only backgrounds doing console-only things.

These are new (for the most part) employees that Blizzard has collected with all their "please know how to make console games and have experience shipping them" job listings over the past few years. Blizzard is not INVENTING people. The job listings were up for literally years.

November 2010 - "New Blizzard Ads Seeking Diablo III Console Devs": http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31551/

Nope, clearly these are the same devs disguised in different t-shirts with false moustaches. Obviously. It's completely impossible that any other explanation could exist as for why this game isn't releasing content/patches on the time schedule of an MMORPG.

Edit: Also, while I quote two different posters - I'm mainly responding to the thread in general, not at those two people. I apologize if I come off harsh to those two people.
Edited by Simca#1640 on 7/16/2013 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Lol if the implication is that the teams are evenly distributed and spend equal times on both platforms than you take us all for fools. We all know the priority is console right now and the PC team is assisting the console team. All PC devs are doing is assisting console in regards toPC right now is figuring out ways to nerf WoTB Barbs and CM Wizards lol. Once Console is released then they'll seriously start path work for Loot 2.0 and a shiny new blog for it.

If this is false than say in a months time we should be getting a blog of more detail on at least what's to come (like what's around the corner, like first retort said we don't even know..)

No blog, no confidence.
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 7/16/2013 8:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Don't try to give me sheep's piss, and tell me it's mead. - Ulfric Stormcloak
Reply Quote
View profile
some flawless logic in this thread

why on earth do people believe blizzard is dropping pc d3 completely when the pc version is the only one with the RMAH? then they go say blizz only cares about $? lolol
Reply Quote
I stopped playing 5 months ago i came back the game was the same as it was when i left. a few minor changes. gem crafting and they add the keywarden brawling .. and experience multiplier. few ok things. But in FIVE MONTHS this the best you guys can do? (no offense) but this is the worst side of developmental process I've seen! maby its just because you guy are getting used to new coding. Witch is understandable to a degree. But this isn't the blizzard i grew up to know and love. !7yrs later i become saddened let down. I'm sure many otehr players and folks will agree based on these previous statements

i've played diablo games for for almost 17 years almost since release of the first game. I've seen the best and worst sides of diablo, and right now this is the all time low. I remember when Patches came out in diablo2 it was great we couldn't wait. i'd expect after 3 to 4 years it would slow down a bit but u guys were on fire. then diablo3 came out i was on my knees to the floor
then i found the PVP wanst coming out in the release it was such a let down. then no ladder system that was even more of a let down. there a little itemization. Then new patches came out, and that went completely out the window. the game wasn't even finished. this is when i started to see the development slipping.
HARDCORE AH IS BEING EFFECTED RMAH!
I've been back about a month now playing (Hardcore ONLY.) and now i cant even be happy about that anymore. the RMAH is screwing up the Hardcore now to!

HOW DO YOU ASK? i have friends who buy 250$ worth of SC gold and do Gold Transfer to another player who plays both side of the market. Now Hardcore not even safe from RMAH. i see this happen more and more often its saddening. and a quite a bit depressing. if you removed the Auction house form the game it would be so much of an Improvement to the reason most peoples play. i like the old fashion trade system. trade channel was a great. I know peoples will say folks will use sites like d2jsp.org to trade but u no what it better then the Auction house . +blizzard has a trade forum. The next question is WHAT ABOUT GOLD Sink would even matter then much Because no Auction house and + there be almost no reason to bot. the system to sell 4 real m$.

i've had talk with Mr. pardue VP of blizzard with the Clan BNR leader of a 3 way on the phone we talked about a lot of different interesting topic that i can share here becuase i might get banned for sharing spefic topic's. but if you like to know visit my stream page i talk about it all the time VIA stream twitch.tv/uwishdeath a lot of player agree come in you WILL TO GAUREENTEED!

YOU CARE ABOUT THE PLAYER?
all the time you guys tell us you care about the players (Blizzcon, In your posts on Battle.net, In your interviews, on redit) But we the players ask you for Just a little bit of information and you shut us down like what u have is a big improvement? we think it might be, then the next patch and it wans't all that much of an improvement. (let down again) don't get me wrong Patches improved on some areas and made others worse. we asked for specific infomation. what does it matter what you tell us. we rather know what your trying to do before u do it so we AS THE PLAYERS that you care about can support the process you will get a lot less post on here i no i wouldnt if i at least new ahead of time what was coming.

sorry fellow players for my excessively long post
Edited by UWishDeath#1481 on 7/16/2013 9:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
YO DUDE think about it SO MANY peoples will buy the games /it will bring in fast money all of the world. why not? more money right? hehe
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 11:36 PMPosted by chrisloup
Technically, since some developer resources are working on the console, by definition that deprives the PC team of effort that could go into pc patches.

nope. thats like saying a windows sysadmin can be unix sysadmin
a oracle dba admin can be a sybase/mariadb dba admin.

sure some people have multiple skills, but most certainly not the same facility/expertise
everyone has their niche expertise.

the fact when hiring, you hire people for their expertise. a console programmer is very much different from a pc programmer.

They aren't that different, actually. And most of the core development happens in raw c or c++. I worked on the core d2 and the console port. Lots of others did too. It's not rocket science, the console-specific work is quite limited, and not hard to learn.
Reply Quote
07/16/2013 07:40 AMPosted by Simca

Except their console team was hired specifically by looking at resumes that had things like AAA console game releases - they're not PC developers. They're people familiar with Microsoft and Sony, people who know how to cater to a console crowd, and people who can work with XBL and PSN. You can't mix and mash these two teams as easily as everyone here seems to think.

Also, I'd eat a hat if the console release wasn't already gold and being printed. The console game is done - it's shipping soon. The console devs are FAR more likely to be laying on couches playing Animal Crossing than they are to be running around the office at MACH 1 stressed out of their minds in crunch time (fyi in reality they're toying around with D3 console on the PS4 dev kits they just received - check out the recent interviews where they talk about this). Crunch time was probably a few months ago.

What are you guys even complaining about here, honestly?

Even if you don't believe them (and you're wrong to not believe them in this case, fyi), none of these complaints make sense any more.

I'm not complaining. But those people, whether console or PC gaming oriented ARE capable of working on either. Seriously, this is not rocket science and brain surgery, it's console programming and pc programming. These are not hard skills to master and MOST programmers have worked on multiple platforms, game programmers have almost universally done work on PC and at least one console platform.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

nope. thats like saying a windows sysadmin can be unix sysadmin
a oracle dba admin can be a sybase/mariadb dba admin.

sure some people have multiple skills, but most certainly not the same facility/expertise
everyone has their niche expertise.

the fact when hiring, you hire people for their expertise. a console programmer is very much different from a pc programmer.

They aren't that different, actually. And most of the core development happens in raw c or c++. I worked on the core d2 and the console port. Lots of others did too. It's not rocket science, the console-specific work is quite limited, and not hard to learn.

No offense to your previous occupation or experience, but you didn't have a hard-coded online-only component to remove, the AH, PSN, XBL, or multiple consoles to develop for, one of which isn't even out. The way they had to deal with saved games and online functionality differs on all three consoles it is being published on - you can't just write D3game.sav to the hard disk and call it done like you could before.

Edit: Anyway, I'm not stating that you are wrong. You could be perfectly right that console and PC teams are easily interchangeable. All I know is that Blizzard did not take that approach. The advantage is more PC development time (I can only imagine the level of complaints if they actually did pull all the devs over), but the disadvantage is that the console changes cannot be easily backported as they were done by a different set of people.

Blizzard was wary about this venture to begin with since they haven't shipped a console title in a long time and there are a vast amount of approvals and nonsense regulatory stuff to go through.

I can tell you straight up that the PC developers aren't working on D3 console right now, and they weren't a month ago either. If they ever did, it was some time ago, maybe when they needed Battle.net functionality gutted the PC developers stopped to help for a while. I don't know. I can't answer that.

I can tell you that they do have a console developer team consisting of many people which has its own heirarchy and its own design meetings, etc etc. They have their own goals for what they want for D3 for console. They're under the same building, yes, but they're not sharing anything besides the art/sound/community parts of the D3 team. The developers are separate.
Edited by Simca#1640 on 7/16/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just curious if anyone has any qualified information on this topic. I've read in a number of user posts that claim developer resources are being tied up working on the console version over patching the original, but haven't found anything yet confirming this among blue posts.
We have a separate team of developers that have been dedicated to bringing Diablo III to consoles. While they and the PC team do collaborate from time to time to ensure that we're delivering an authentic Diablo III experience to consoles, the two teams operate independently.

There is a lot of stuff we're working on for the PC version of Diablo III right now, and you can find out a bit more about some of it in [url="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-diablo-3-podcast-100-josh-mosqueira-and-wyatt-cheng-interview"]part one of this podcast that Inc Gamers had with Josh Mosqueira and Wyatt Cheng last week[/url], as well as [url="http://twizzcast.com/"]a recent developer interview on Twizzcast[/url], and [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1572-june-2013-interview-of-josh-mosqueira-travis-day-and-kevin-martens"]another series of interviews with had with Diablo Somepage last month[/url].

It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner, but know that both the Diablo III PC team and console teams are hard at work on their respective versions of the game, and neither is holding the other up. As we have further information, we'll be sure to share it with you. :)

Synergy... Combine the teams - make a PTR "Console Mode" option for the PC. (even if we have to download a console app for pc)

It's not hard - turn off the A/H - improve the drop rates - offline play - etc. & let us help your teams test & someday play console mode with pc. !

Good Hunting...
Edited by GaryBusey#1827 on 7/16/2013 10:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
to be honest with you im just along for the ride now what ever happens and let it ride. but i am still very disappointed.
Reply Quote

No offense to your previous occupation or experience, but you didn't have a hard-coded online-only component to remove, the AH, PSN, XBL, or multiple consoles to develop for, one of which isn't even out.

The way they had to deal with saved games and online functionality differs on all three consoles it is being published on - you can't just write D3game.sav to the hard disk and call it done like you could before.

Blizzard was wary about this venture to begin with since they haven't shipped a console title in a long time and there are a vast amount of approvals and nonsense regulatory stuff to go through.

I can tell you straight up that the PC developers aren't working on D3 console right now, and they weren't a month ago either. If they ever did, it was some time ago, maybe when they needed Battle.net functionality gutted the PC developers stopped to help for a while. I don't know. I can't answer that.

I can tell you that they do have a console developer team consisting of many people which has its own heirarchy and its own design meetings, etc etc. They have their own goals for what they want for D3 for console. They're under the same building, yes, but they're not sharing anything besides the art/sound/community parts of the D3 team. The developers are separate.

I believe everything you are saying. None of that changes the fact that those developers COULD work on the pc version. They could. Not should. Not without cost. Could.

And next gen consoles usually have PC-based dev kits, so :-P
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]