Diablo® III

Are Developer Resources Being Constrained By Console?

07/15/2013 06:30 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Just curious if anyone has any qualified information on this topic. I've read in a number of user posts that claim developer resources are being tied up working on the console version over patching the original, but haven't found anything yet confirming this among blue posts.
We have a separate team of developers that have been dedicated to bringing Diablo III to consoles. While they and the PC team do collaborate from time to time to ensure that we're delivering an authentic Diablo III experience to consoles, the two teams operate independently.

There is a lot of stuff we're working on for the PC version of Diablo III right now, and you can find out a bit more about some of it in [url="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-diablo-3-podcast-100-josh-mosqueira-and-wyatt-cheng-interview"]part one of this podcast that Inc Gamers had with Josh Mosqueira and Wyatt Cheng last week[/url], as well as [url="http://twizzcast.com/"]a recent developer interview on Twizzcast[/url], and [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1572-june-2013-interview-of-josh-mosqueira-travis-day-and-kevin-martens"]another series of interviews with had with Diablo Somepage last month[/url].

It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner, but know that both the Diablo III PC team and console teams are hard at work on their respective versions of the game, and neither is holding the other up. As we have further information, we'll be sure to share it with you. :)

Patch 1.08 was released about 2.5 months ago. In it, among other things Firebats was buffed... except for Dire Bats, which was not changed and remains the only rune that actively debuffs the skill.

If this was true, why was this simple change not implemented much sooner?
Reply Quote
It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner, but know that both the Diablo III PC team and console teams are hard at work on their respective versions of the game, and neither is holding the other up. As we have further information, we'll be sure to share it with you. :)

... Vaeflare... I know its your job and all... But you guys take everyfriday off... Hell. I've only once seen a post on friday in the year and 2 months that the games been out... Once. So I'm sorry, you can say you guys are working hard, but I don't buy it anymore. And honestly do one of you even know what a hard days work is? Have you ever worked in a Cement/Gravel Plant? Shoveling gravel 8-10 hours a day + another 2 maintenance on heavy machinery perhaps?
Reply Quote
There is a lot of stuff we're working on for the PC version of Diablo III right now, and you can find out a bit more about some of it in part one of this podcast that Inc Gamers had with Josh Mosqueira and Wyatt Cheng last week, as well as a recent developer interview on Twizzcast, and another series of interviews with had with Diablo Somepage last month.

That's not info. It's mostly tentative ideas, mired in a swamp of boilerplate copy/paste answers that we've been hearing all year long.
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 06:47 PMPosted by Vyleblud
It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner

I think a lot of people would just love to know for sure that there is a corner.

Well supposedly there is, he just said so. Seems like the corner is more like a sweeping bend.
Reply Quote
This really is not that hard… truly.

Yes, there is a corner. No, they are not going to tell us what will be in that ‘corner’. As a developer, they don’t want the general public to debate, criticize and destroy stuff that has not even been delivered yet. Last thing you want is a design team second guessing themselves. They will get to a place they believe they can sell it. Then they will do what any good company would do.
Tease – Small hints that can get us excited, stuff that will likely be discussed by the community as positive.
Sell – Likely at the event in Oct, they will un-vale the expansion, its features, classes, and some videos. They will set a release date and hype it until then.

The team is working on the expansion, not the console version. Several developers have noted that D3 was never intended as a patch game. 8 patches was more than they expected in the first year.

So, let’s stop wasting time on debating what they are working on a return to guessing at what that is going to be. I personally am hoping for a feature that allows us to get the Credit Card info of anyone spamming friend invites.

-Carrig O’Dailach
Reply Quote
While they and the PC team do collaborate from time to time to ensure that we're delivering an authentic Diablo III experience
This made me laugh. What authentic experience? The stock market III simulator?
Reply Quote
i believe them when they say all the entities are seperate. but...i'm starting to not trust them anymore. the GIGANTIC item patch which will save this game once and for all is MIA. could we get an update or sneak peak. i think we deserve it...
Reply Quote
07/17/2013 02:46 PMPosted by Pablopee
i believe them when they say all the entities are seperate. but...i'm starting to not trust them anymore. the GIGANTIC item patch which will save this game once and for all is MIA. could we get an update or sneak peak. i think we deserve it...

they made sneak peak... black hole like in starcraft 2... lol cant understand if they troll us or they really dont understand whats going on.. who the hell would like to see black hole in DIABLO!?
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 07:33 PMPosted by Krine
and neither is holding the other up.

Sorry that isn't going to fly.
Indeed. I do not believe that.
Reply Quote
HA!

There is no way what the blue said is factual.

Guarantee if they do get caught in their own lie, they will use this vaguely stated response to tell us both development teams were in fact working together, but the console version had the most love *cough* money *cough*.

This happened before when the development team was head over heels with diablo 3 and stuck in denial on such a success it was (business-wise, not content-wise) and now they are saying the problem is the AH, itemization, etc.
Reply Quote
View profile
Just curious if anyone has any qualified information on this topic. I've read in a number of user posts that claim developer resources are being tied up working on the console version over patching the original, but haven't found anything yet confirming this among blue posts.
We have a separate team of developers that have been dedicated to bringing Diablo III to consoles. While they and the PC team do collaborate from time to time to ensure that we're delivering an authentic Diablo III experience to consoles, the two teams operate independently.

There is a lot of stuff we're working on for the PC version of Diablo III right now, and you can find out a bit more about some of it in [url="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-diablo-3-podcast-100-josh-mosqueira-and-wyatt-cheng-interview"]part one of this podcast that Inc Gamers had with Josh Mosqueira and Wyatt Cheng last week[/url], as well as [url="http://twizzcast.com/"]a recent developer interview on Twizzcast[/url], and [url="http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1572-june-2013-interview-of-josh-mosqueira-travis-day-and-kevin-martens"]another series of interviews with had with Diablo Somepage last month[/url].

But that separate team that works on console version were originally on the PC TEAM.
Reply Quote
07/18/2013 09:56 AMPosted by Cerealkiller

But that separate team that works on console version were originally on the PC TEAM.

This; Blizzard just twists and bends everything with words to try and cover lack of ACTION.
Reply Quote
Oh and before someone says it; lack of PvP is not an issue. Diablo is an item-grinding game and a PvE experience at it's soul. I'd much rather an expansion be released (post itemization/diversity fix) than wait for a PvP element that I and many others will barely touch. Diablo is and always has been a PvE game, PvP is not integral to the experience whatsoever.

What a load of rubbish PvP has been part of Diablo since the begining. Just because you don't like PvP does not mean it is not part of the game. For the record I personally can not stand pkers but in diablo 1 you could get the players ear, in diablo 2 you could go hostile and should be in diablo 3, and been there from the beginning.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
All i have to say is if you think it is a long wait now just wait till the console versions come out and they get all the updates a month before we do. It is always that way look at black ops 2 all the updates come out for them and the pc versions have to wait a month after its release to even get it. Ill be you that its the same way for this game as well when it finally hits console.
Reply Quote

At some point these type of posts have to stop right?
Reply Quote
View profile
It's understandable that everyone wants updates on exactly what's around the corner

Just dont let the updates get surrounded at the corner and die. =p
Reply Quote
View profile
I would not say constrained at all. Even though there are many in this thread that would love Blizz to give them so much information. That would be equal to them sitting in the dev meetings each week. Then they can look at all of what is said as a promise of what would be there. But when they are needed to be changed or just will not help the game at all and must be removed. Then they will jump on Blizz as another failed promise. That is why they cannot give us that kind of information.

We take everything they say as a promise, then when it is not there we jump on them as if it is a fail promise. When in reality they never made such a promise to start with. Doubt me then take a look at what was said by one of the fan sites that was at that summit. They were told that having the ability to mod the game is not a closed case. But then players here on the forums took that as a promise that one day in the near future we will be able to mod the game.

Now as far as the title of the thread goes. I would say that they are not constrained. But rather some of the dev team for the PC might be helping polish the console version much the same way that Blizz's other developers help each other out when a game or expansion needs to be released. But since they are only helping polish it, that does not mean that they have stopped all work on the PC version.
Reply Quote
All I'm saying is if it takes this long to deliver something, then it better be worth it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]