Diablo® III

SDTV?

Devs, I have a 30" tv that's about 10 years old.

It works fine for watching shows, but I have had problems with some xbox 360 games where I could not read the details of my character's inventory.

How are you handling this issue for people who don't want to or can't afford to throw an otherwise perfectly functioning television into a landfill?

TL; DR: Will all of the text in D3 be legible on older tvs?

Thanks.

(Waiting on answer before I pre-order...)
Reply Quote
07/14/2013 04:50 PMPosted by Boonchai
How are you handling this issue for people who don't want to or can't afford to throw an otherwise perfectly functioning television into a landfill?

Sorry Boonchai, but it's highly unlikely the game has been designed with decade old viewing hardware in mind. They can't please everyone. I have a fully functional 20inch TV with Multi-AV input from the early 90's in storage, should I be able to play the Diablo 3 on it? Of course not. A line needs to be drawn for both the consumer and the developer.

The UI and Text are designed in regard to the standard resolution of the game, and that is 1080/720p HD. If you don't have a TV capable of that display then you need make changes (buy a new TV) to accommodate for the game, it's not the developer's responsibility to accommodate old-generation hardware.
Reply Quote
Hey Boon,

Before you buy the game check if the box supports 480i/480p. If it does, it should scale down. I have run my PS3 on a SD television, and as long as the game supports 480, it will do fine. However if the game only supports 720/1080 resolution, you might be out of luck.

Also this what I know about PS3. I never connected my 360 to an SD output in the short time I had it, so I cant be certain on how the 360 handles it.
Reply Quote
13 Pandaren Monk
Thanks, Velisael. I will check it out.

/crosses fingers
Reply Quote
You can afford $15 a month for wow, including a pc to play it on, and internet access cost but you can't afford $199 for a new 1080p 32" flat screen?...maybe u should reconsider priorities.
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 08:19 PMPosted by Ace
You can afford $15 a month for wow, including a pc to play it on, and internet access cost but you can't afford $199 for a new 1080p 32" flat screen?...maybe u should reconsider priorities.

THIS^
Reply Quote
08/27/2013 08:19 PMPosted by Ace

Or you could stop being a prick once in your life and think that maybe there is more to it?

Maybe the PC was given to him, someone else pays for his WoW sub.

Maybe he has a disability and lives off of government benefits. To judge so harshly makes you a pretty awful person.

And the moron who posted "this" you're just as thick.
Reply Quote
I got a new TV for Christmas. Before then, I was in the same boat as you. I'd really like to see support for older televisions.
Edited by titegtnodI#1873 on 8/28/2013 9:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
08/28/2013 08:28 AMPosted by Zombie

Or you could stop being a prick once in your life and think that maybe there is more to it?

Maybe the PC was given to him, someone else pays for his WoW sub.

Maybe he has a disability and lives off of government benefits. To judge so harshly makes you a pretty awful person.

And the moron who posted "this" you're just as thick.

Pretty much this. I see this kind of crap all the time and its even worse on these forums. Someone has a problem and the plebs here demand you upgrade without even trying to help.
Reply Quote
13 Pandaren Monk
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the responses.

Not to necro, but I thought others might be interested to know that I got the manager at my local Gamestop to agree to let me return the game if I couldn't read the text.

My priorities (as mentioned by a previous poster) are simply that, if I have to throw a perfectly functioning tv into a landfill just to play one game, then the game can wait until the tv dies and I have to replace it. I would suggest that perhaps some other peoples' priorities are good candidates for study. (Thanks to all the decent folks who stood up for keeping these forums helpful and civil.)

BUT I am happy to announce that, even though the game does not support 480, I still found it to be acceptably legible; even the nitty-gritty text in the individual weapon descriptions, etc. Granted, my tv is easily 30" and I sit only 5' away from it (on my exercise bike (multi-tasking ftw)).

So, there it is. I wanted to let people know the ultimate result, in case anyone else was in a similar situation.

Best of luck!
Reply Quote
Devs, I have a 30" tv that's about 10 years old.

It works fine for watching shows, but I have had problems with some xbox 360 games where I could not read the details of my character's inventory.

TL; DR: Will all of the text in D3 be legible on older tvs?

Thanks.

(Waiting on answer before I pre-order...)

LOL. I can't even imagine how you think this is a Blizzard issue.....

FYI, the optimal viewing distance for a 30" HDTV is 4 to 7 feet. So it is probably less for a standard 30". Solution: Sit closer.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Without being disrespectful, what a previous poster said was true. You can get an entry level HDTV at 1080 for less than 200 dollars. If you bought Diablo 3 for 60 dollars (or even if you didn't), you more than likely could/should upgrade your television at the same time, particularly if you do have an Xbox 360 or PS3. Just save up some money and go for it! Or if others are paying for you, tell them your current tv isn't working out for you.
Reply Quote
13 Pandaren Monk
lol

I give up.
Reply Quote
09/12/2013 07:49 AMPosted by Grandmamama
Without being disrespectful, what a previous poster said was true. You can get an entry level HDTV at 1080 for less than 200 dollars. If you bought Diablo 3 for 60 dollars (or even if you didn't), you more than likely could/should upgrade your television at the same time, particularly if you do have an Xbox 360 or PS3. Just save up some money and go for it! Or if others are paying for you, tell them your current tv isn't working out for you.

Why do you care? Maybe he hates all new TV's and wants an old one!?!? He just wanted to know IF it would work.
Reply Quote
It does. My tv is old, and I can read the text just fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]