Diablo® III

Spear-chucker's 10 rules for a cheap Monk

NOTE: THESE RULES DO NOT TELL YOU WHAT TO BUY. THEY DO TELL YOU HOW TO BUY ONCE YOU HAVE MADE YOUR DECISION WHAT TO PURCHASE.

1) Before you purchase an item follow one or two auctions of items with similar stats to gauge the item's comparative worth. MOST IMPORTANT RULE

2) Always realize there will be a "sweet spot" for the low end price range and outside this "sweet spot" prices will rise astronomically. As an example, my latest set of Inna's pants cost me about 6.5 million (173 dex/69 int). The following day, a set with 183 dex/80int went for 40 million plus on bid. Try to buy at the top end of the "sweet spot." In addition, note that the "sweet spot" is not static. Check back frequently to see if you can further improve your Monk at a reasonable price.

3) Try not to purchase dex/vit/AR/cc/cd on the same item - it will cost you. Much cheaper is to buy an item with one, two or three of these stats but load up on them. If you buy an item with no vit for example, make sure you compensate for that lack of vit by loading up vit on another item and maybe leaving out AR, cc or cd next time. Once again using Inna's pants as an example; in the same time frame as I was looking to make my eventual 6.5 million purchase (173 dex/69 int), an item with 186 dex/30 vit went for upwards of 160 million. So 150 million plus for 13 dex/30 vit.

4) Buyouts can save you lots of gold, especially if you have followed step one and know the comparative worth of an item.

5) OWE is your friend. This step is also very important and can save you lots of gold. If you are poor, do not listen to people telling you to go OWE free.

6) Crafting is risky but usually rewarding, especially if don't insist on your crafted item having to be BIS.

7) Being outbid on an item is not necessarily a bad thing (see rule 1).

8) If you have the time (and the inclination), cheap purchases can often be made at off-hours. If most of the competition for the item is asleep, you may be able to pick up a bargain.

9) Do not put all your eggs in one basket. If you have decided to purchase an item, it is a good idea to put in 2 or 3 bids for similar items if they are at the start of their auction cycle and/or are currently available for less than 5K. This will give you multiple shots at your attempted purchase, will put the items in your auction list and will also give you more info about the item's comparative worth (rule 1 again).

10) Nothing is cheaper than a self-found item. So fellow Monks keep on farming and good luck with your next purchase.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9464286344?page=1

Spear-chucker
Reply Quote
What's OWE?
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks for the spear tips.
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 02:57 PMPosted by ixoye
What's OWE?

Passive skill: One with Everything.
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 02:57 PMPosted by ixoye
What's OWE?

OWE is One With Everything
Reply Quote
View profile
07/15/2013 03:05 PMPosted by RelytReborn
Thanks for the spear tips.

LOL, nice pun.

This is guide gives extremely good advice from the best bang for the buck monk builder I've seen. Very nice guide. I have personally used all of these tactics, but I sometimes break rule #3.
Reply Quote
I think you should define what cheap goes up to. Maybe 10m max per item?
Reply Quote
07/15/2013 08:53 PMPosted by Mauzn

@Mauzn, the definition of "cheap" is somewhat arbitrary. To some extent, it depends on what is "cheap" for you. My EF for example is my most expensive item in this set and cost me 100 million. That, in itself, I don't consider "cheap" cost wise, but I've seen similar dps EFs go for 500 million (usually with cd instead of high dex) and therefore 100 million vs 500 million is a good price hence "cheap." On the other side of the coin, if you have 20 billion in your stash, "cheap" is a whole different concept, and for a Monk with this kind of funds these rules probably don't apply.

Spear-chucker
Reply Quote
07/16/2013 02:28 AMPosted by !@#$%^-*!@er

@Mauzn, the definition of "cheap" is somewhat arbitrary. To some extent, it depends on what is "cheap" for you. My EF for example is my most expensive item in this set and cost me 100 million. That, in itself, I don't consider "cheap" cost wise, but I've seen similar dps EFs go for 500 million (usually with cd instead of high dex) and therefore 100 million vs 500 million is a good price hence "cheap." On the other side of the coin, if you have 20 billion in your stash, "cheap" is a whole different concept, and for a Monk with this kind of funds these rules probably don't apply.

Spear-chucker

Sorry my comment was aimed at mostly rule 3. Because that only works below a certain level of gear.

Eventually you're going to need most if not all the useful rolls on items. For example dex + allres/single res + vit on your witching hour instead of just dex + res, or 180dex + high vit + res on helm.
Reply Quote
Sorry my comment was aimed at mostly rule 3. Because that only works below a certain level of gear.

Eventually you're going to need most if not all the useful rolls on items. For example dex + allres/single res + vit on your witching hour instead of just dex + res, or 180dex + high vit + res on helm.

@Mauzn, I'm not sure I made myself clear as far as rule three is concerned. What I'm really trying to say is; for a budget Monk, for the most part, it is best not to look at individual pieces of gear but take a holistic approach and look at the entire Monk.

Once again, as an example if you look at my aim of getting to 300K dps/500K ehp for less than a billion. As far as dps is concerned that means I'm probably looking at (ballpark), 3250 dex, 48%+ cc, 550%+ cd, 2.4 attacks/sec, and about 925 av. damage (including weapons and jewelry). In addition for ehp, I'm probably going to need 1125 - 1225+ vit and 28% - 40%+ %life and 550 resistance/5000 armor. How I get to those numbers is immaterial. If one item has no dex, vit, resistance, armor or any of the others, as long as I can make it up elsewhere that is all that matters. To build a Monk on a budget if you try and balance out each piece such that it has every stat you need then you will pay a premium. If on the other hand, you buy a piece that is missing one or two of these stats but make it up elsewhere, you can probably pick it up at a decent price.

As to your second point. Eventually it would be nice to have good rolls on all your items but once you get to that point, realistically you are no longer talking about a budget Monk.

Spear-chucker
Edited by Spearchucker#1994 on 7/16/2013 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Soon to come. Narcolepy's 10 rules for cheap women.
Reply Quote
07/16/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Narcolepsy

wow I gotta see those
Reply Quote
07/16/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Narcolepsy

If you can come up with them, let me know. I'm always broke thanks to the wife (although the kid doesn't help).

Spear
Edited by Spearchucker#1994 on 8/10/2013 5:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Tyvm for tips spear
Reply Quote
Rule #11 for really cheap monk:

Stiff the waiter for his tip!

P.S. You know how to make a hormone ?

(just don't pay her)
Reply Quote
Nice tips! A few more...

-try to pick stats that have max roll potential for a respective gear slot. Inna's pants example. If you want max dex you cannot have AR. However, you can get double dex (200 max) and vit on Inna's. Otherwise with AR the max is only 100. So you need to think about that when gearing.

-try to maximize your rolls on any stat you are gearing. If you are looking for vit. I tend to like at least 55 of whatever stat I'm trying to get. If not, wait or look for a better gear combo. e.g. get 95 vit on one piece and maybe 55+ AR on another with no vit. Together though they will be pricey and often the "value" pieces you'll find (say with 30 vit and 45 AR) will not really be a good deal anyhow as you'll be overpaying and still want to get more of "x" stat.

Hope that makes sense.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]