Diablo® III

How come I dont see Acid cloud?

Let me first say that I'm a newb but I just got into inferno and after doing a little research and forum lurking I've noticed that not many people skill acid cloud. I personally love this skill and the satisfaction that I get when dumping acid on groups of enemies. Also, if Acid cloud is a viable option for end-game content, what should I look for when finding gear? Thanks!
Reply Quote
Not viable IMO. Cloud of Bats. Plague Bats, Or Zombie Bears is pretty much it.
Blizzard Needs to seriously balance skills so people can have fun running their own unique build and still keep up in Damage.
Reply Quote
Hey, if you want to use Acid Cloud, that's perfectly fine. It still does a ton of damage. I love acid cloud because of the range. Mondo uses acid cloud as well.

Use whatever abilities you want. If you notice the top Witch Doctors ALL use different builds and gear - so there isn't a 'perfect build'.
Reply Quote
Hi OP! Acid Cloud is still Viable. It is the highest proc skill of the WD (Acid Rain). It works well with Life on Hit gear and Chance to freeze/stun/immobilize.... If you are looking to use this skill, I suggest you look at the Witch Proctor guide.

Or you can check out Blackjack: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/blackjack-1375/hero/6115526

He is one of the best Witch Proctors.

Just please note, Bats, Bears and Dogs is just more efficient in Solo Play. As for Party play, it all depends on your group. Witch Proctors contribute a good amount by CC-ing mobs, Giving damage overtime to monsters, and buffing ally dps :)
Reply Quote
I only use acid cloud when power leveling people on mp10 hell because of the radius. I would never use it on mp5 hardcore inferno. Zombie bears does more direct damage with still a huge radius and less mana costs.
Edited by Mondo#1539 on 7/14/2013 10:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
err acid cloud - acid rain is very viable for mp0-5 farming
one/two shot entire waves...and move on

proc builds are too gimicky and take too much of a toll on your DPS and EHP
Reply Quote
Hi Smock.

yes Acid Clod : Acid Rain does kick some serious demon butt, however it has some limitations i will try and outline here.

It has Low(ish) damage, Compared to Zombie Charger, Cloud of Bats, Plague Bats or any Sacrifice skill. The Damage is eak. It is more used as a "Proc-Doctor" skill. - please see blackjack's profile that was posted above - he is #1 proc Doc i have seen.

Acid cloud is GREAT for lower (mp3 or under) - for higher MP levels, untess you are CRAZY geared, or a proc doc, is useless. The damage is to low.

HOWEVER - If you are running LoH (life on hit) it is the best Option. It has the highest Proc co-efficient for a WD skill
Reply Quote
Acid cloud can work but you need LS on weapon and at least one or more proc... stun or freeze works great. The other thing I noticed is to make it viable you need at least 150k damage to make it work. Its very achievable. Check my profile... I switch from cloud to bats to play MP10 as leech works better for bats. I played MP7 and 8 no problem by using same build you see except I use cloud instead of bats. You can use PTV passive for more damage but it will hurt your mana. I have a ton of it though sitting at 1000k. But thats not possible unless you use Thing of deep as a mojo... or SOJ for a ring.

Blackjacks works great cause he is doing alot more damage than I am. So if it works for me I know it definitely works for him lol.

OP add me if you like... I can give you some pointers and some gear when I am on again.
Edited by AztroTrain#1796 on 7/15/2013 6:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The problem with AC is that once you get above mp5 it's useless.
If you're doing low mp farming then it's good for 1-shotting large groups of enemies but beyond that it's super meh.
Reply Quote
View profile
i think the general sentiment here is that acid cloud isn't good for high mp.

This is what i think too.

Acid Cloud=

big mana investment per cast
kills slow at high mp

ergo...
Reply Quote
Acid Cloud sucks because, as others said, its damage is too low for higher MP's. It only does 150% damage, compared to Bears' 236% or Bats' 500+%.

At low MP's it's the best though, because you can just run around 1-shotting things with it. However, nobody does low MP's anymore, really...with the neph valor changes, high MP's are faster exp, and higher magic find/bonus item, so there's no incentive to do lower MP's unless you have bad gear.
Reply Quote
View profile
Acid Cloud sucks because, as others said, its damage is too low for higher MP's. It only does 150% damage, compared to Bears' 236% or Bats' 500+%.

At low MP's it's the best though, because you can just run around 1-shotting things with it. However, nobody does low MP's anymore, really...with the neph valor changes, high MP's are faster exp, and higher magic find/bonus item, so there's no incentive to do lower MP's unless you have bad gear.

ya, I use to have fun at mp0 or 1 and do speed runs...either pestilence or acid...launch and keep running. Everything around you just melts. But these days, after 1.0.8, you want to do to as high a mp as you can to gain xp

When i solo mp10, its around +937% bonus XP. If i play with one other player, its over +1k bonus xp. All those videos about 80-100m xp per hr with people running fast through mp0-1 are extinct.
Reply Quote
Just want to point out to some of your out there, some people have no options for higher MP. If you look at the OP he is ages away from being able to successfully use higher MP skills (myself as well). It is super awesome that you guys help folks like us out, but I think a good rule of thumb to remember is that if someone is below Paragon 25 and has a DPS below 100k, they are probably looking for advice that requires under 5-10 millions in spending and which doesn't mandate 150K DPS. I don't play much and mostly just enjoy leveling, but if you are going to be helpful (as you are almost always trying to be - thanks!) than try to remember that there are differences between coaching someone in junior high basketball and someone who is a 2nd year pro. They have different needs in terms of knowledge... the junior high guy wants to get to high school and dreams of college, the pro skills are a LONG way down the road. Anyway, I'm not trying to !@#$%, I love how the community helps each other out.
Reply Quote
View profile
^ that's a very valid point.
Reply Quote
Acid cloud requires a specific build like mine. It does far less damage than the cookie cutter builds but is very much fun to play.

You need Life on hit.

Stun on hit and Freeze on hit Procs to make it fun.

I can easily hold my own up to MP8 can can survive MP10 though the going is slow. I have compared and I kill clear faster than most 250k dps CM wizards.

Don't forget you can get 8% crit chance visage Giyua and 7% on a ring of jordan which gooses Acid cloud damage a fair bit...
Reply Quote
Acid cloud is a fantastic skill for low MP, with enough damage you can 1 shot entire screens full of enemies. At higher MP it just doesn't do enough damage and is really just a good skill for procs. Really good with life on hit, stun, freeze etc.

Attack speed isn't important for this skill since it is a dot and does not stack, so go for as much average damage as you can first then crit. Skorn is excellent for this skill. I lose some paper dps with a skorn but it makes acid cloud hit much harder.
Edited by Dirk#1799 on 7/15/2013 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I looked at the OPs profile and I agree that he is still learning as someone pointed out.

I would say not viable at MP8/9 and 10 obviously. I used it on MP7 no problem with my pet build. That being said I first tackled MP7 at 130k unbuffed and used Acid cloud as primary attack and used Firebomb(roll the bones) or Rain of Toads to spam damage as mana build up to reuse cloud. WIth 1k mana and no PTV you can spam Cloud plenty of times. Like someone pointed out you need LOH and or LS.

Acid cloud in some ways forces you to use at least one pet because its difficult to use it as a tank skill like toads or bats. So you need at least one pet or more as a buffer til you rebuild mana to recast it 4 to 5 times or more depending on your mana regen and total mana. Best way I found is to constantly reposition with spirit walk(mana rune) to keep the mana coming back... maybe use another passive to help like Feast... My last 2 cents is if you have around 50 CC and at least 1 proc on weapon or gear... its a lot of fun. Use with Toads and its really fun.

I plan to add the OP and see if I can help him out... as you can all see he is way early in the game at 33k dps.
Reply Quote
Wow, let me first say thanks for the outpouring of help (was definitely not expecting that). A lot of really good advice and I will certainly take this into my travels in Sanctuary!
Reply Quote
Secondly, if I'm going make this viable what are some items that I can look for that will add good procs to acid cloud? What goals should I set for my WD?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]