Diablo® III

bots?

Ok let's say I have 20 million gold. I see a mempo of twilight helm I want for 10 million and an IK chest armor I want for 10 million. The maximum I am willing to pay for either item is 15 mil. The current bid for each is 7.5 mil. If I bid the maximum I am willing to pay of 15 mil on one item, then I lose the opportunity to bid on the other item. Advice to always bid my maximum amount I am willing to bid on an item is terrible advice.
Edited by Rage#1743 on 7/23/2013 6:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There are many flaws in this game and that is usually due to the case that the dev team isn't as intelligent as the majority of the high end player base. I say this because the less intelligent do not notice these flaws as much. In this case however, Rage is the unintelligent one here. Yes, lets get rid of proxy bidding. SOUNDS GOOD. So we can go back to old school auction days where everyone waits until the last second to bid. Better yet, you are winning an auction at 120 million for 1 day 11 hours 58 minutes and while you're at work someone bids up the minimum and you lose the auction. Why were they able to bid you up by the minimum while you were not even at your computer to defend your bid? Oh that's right, because your maximum bid was shown and not protected by a proxy. Proxy bidding allows players to compete on items no matter when the auction ends. Why force every bidder to be at their computer at the auction close. For everyone but 1 player that is going to be a complete waste of time.

It took me all of 2 days to realize something was going on when I was trying to last second snipe bid items the second week of release and I was being instantly outbid on a good portion of them. If players are still having problems with this and not smart enough to investigate what is going on then they deserve to lose out to the proxy bid system.

To counter that I can ask why should we have a system where I have to have my gold returned to me 5 times before I get the bid I want due to an automatic, hidden process? Would it make intelligent sense for me to just randomly bid way over the starting amount just to avoid the frustration of having to do a bid 5 times?

A flaw exists.

So because you and others do not take the time to read how this "hidden process" (which is clearly explained on the AH page of the game guide) works it's a flaw...

What it would make sense for you to do is bid the maximum you're willing to spend once and be done with it, it's that simple but because you STILL have no clue how it works I'm sure you think that means your bid will automatically be placed at it's max. Learn how it works and use it to your advantage.

*edit* The problem in your above example that you posted while I was typing is you don't have the gold you need to do what you want, again not the systems fault the problem lies with you.
Edited by shreloche#1427 on 7/23/2013 6:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Proxy bidding is a necessary system due to the huge time difference for players in different countries and time zone. The part on holding the gold is unavoidable due to the timing of the bid. If you prefer that your gold is not held up for too long, perhaps bid those with only less than an hour and you can get back your gold fast
Reply Quote
Everytime I see one of these thread I think to myself "Where has this person been living for the last 15 years? Have they never used Ebay, or half.com or any other auction site online before this? Have they never heard of a silent bid auction?"

Proxy bidding exists because it is the fairest way to negate time differences between time zones. It helps us adults who have responsibilities and can't be online for 12 hours out of the day compete with kids like you who can spend far more of their time online. Just because you don't like the way something works doesn't make it "broken" or "flawed"

Also learning how to use Google properly may help prevent further public embarrassment in the future.
Reply Quote
Ok let's say I have 20 million gold. I see a mempo of twilight helm I want for 10 million and an IK chest armor I want for 10 million. The maximum I am willing to pay for either item is 15 mil. The current bid for each is 7.5 mil. If I bid the maximum I am willing to pay of 15 mil on one item, then I lose the opportunity to bid on the other item. Advice to always bid my maximum amount I am willing to bid on an item is terrible advice.

Mindblowing.

This whole thread is stupefying.
Reply Quote
The auction house is pretty good, but as a typical bidding session in real life, there is a 1, 2, 3 sold! procedure, which is not in this auction house. It is frustrating to see in game the message: "You have been outbid on XXXXX", exiting the current game and seeing that the item is no longer available.

There should be, by all means, a 30 second cool down if an item was bidded and won in the last 30 seconds of the auction. For example:

Mempo of Twilight

Current Bid: 20,000,000
Maximum Bid by current leader: 25,000,000

CURRENT auction system:
10 seconds remain on the auction, and Sniper bids, unknowing the quantity of 25,000,000, a maximum bid of 30,000,000.
Auction ends and there is no way the current bidder can do something about it.

MODIFIED auction system:
10 seconds remain on the auction, and Sniper bids, unknowing the quantity of 25,000,000, a maximum bid of 30,000,000.
Auction ends the regular time period and a 30 second timer counts. Current bidder sees the message of outbid dance in game, exits and sees the item with the counter. Now he has a choice of bidding higher or letting the item go.

Advantages:
- Good items will go for a higher price, since most auctions end this way when the price on the item is below average.
- People will construe the system as fair, since they can be outbidded and still win the item on the last minute.
- Those last minute snipers are stripped off a cheap bidding weapon, which is the current system.

Confused as a disadvantage is the fact that if the current bidder was willing to pay more for the current item, he should have located a higher maximum bid. Well, auctions exist with the main purpose of selling the item, but for the buyer, the main purpose is to get the item cheaper than it would be on a buy it now basis. With this in mind, a regular buyer will bid 20 M on an item worth 50 M and wait it out, scouting other options or collecting winnings from other sales or in game finds. Maybe on the course of the auction he sees another item that peaks his interest and still have 10 M available to buy things (he wouldn't if he located his maximum bid a higher 30M bid).

With this modification, players are able to multitask buying and limit the quantity they spend on the item. All in all, a fair and square system.

Another step would be to create a message feature on the auction house, in which you contact the seller (without disclosing your tag or his) to offer a certain amount for the item. Upon agreeing, and the item having no bids, there can be an offer system, in which you put in the amount of gold you wish to pay for the item, and the seller receives this offer, with an Accept/Decline feature, in which if he accepts, the transaction will be made through the auction house, apply the 15% cut Blizz gets and ending/transferring the item as it is regularly done. But this can be more of a catch and should be treated with care.
Reply Quote
lol.
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 06:40 PMPosted by Rage

What you want to do is snipe at the last minute. That way you can bid 15 mil on both items. Problem solved.
Reply Quote
See finally people giving decent advice the last two or so posts. The other people probably pay to win on this game with their ebay earnings from selling arts and crafts for $2 a piece and are mad I pointed out some flaws in their system.

Now I am not saying the automated bidding system is without merit and the system has a ton of benefits. I am pointing out flaws and like the last two posters pointed out, ways to improve the system exist and some work arounds exist. Sorry arts and crafts sellers but your system isn't perfect and has flaws.
Edited by Rage#1743 on 7/23/2013 9:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 04:44 PMPosted by Rage
It sounds from your example that the the previous/current bidder actually placed a higher maximum bid before you placed your bids. Because your bids have all been lower than the maximum bid that the other player is willing to play (and this maximum amount is hidden so that you cannot see it), each time you place a bid, they've still been coming out ahead of you, and will continue to be "in the lead" until your maximum bid exceeds their maximum bid.

[url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9499181757#2"]LapChi's explanation[/url] is a good one, and I'd encourage you to read over our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/auction-house#bidding"]Game Guide article on how bidding works in Diablo III[/url] as well.

Yes and maybe the game shouldn't work like this because of how frustrating this is. Why show a value of 40 mil when the actual bid is 65 mil? The actual bidded amount should be shown. The current way does not make sense and I am sure this will not be fixed either like most of the other flaws.

It's not a flaw, you are just clueless as to how the system works.

The system you want in place would make it, so that the items will always go to the last bidder. This is wrong. In a real life Auction (even though it doesn't play identical to the D3 system) the item goes to the one, who's willing to pay the most -- as it should be. You don't win in an Auction by screaming your low bid in the last second, you win by having then highest bid.
Sure in a real life auction the last bidder happens to also be the winner, but he wins, because of the amount he's willing to spend, not because of when he made the bid.
Due to the nature of the Auctions, some of them expire at ungodly hours. Just because you can't stay awake till 5 in the morning doesn't mean you shouldn't have the chance to obtain an item.

If you want an item -- bid the full some you're willing to spend on it and regardless of when the Auction expires you'll get it... unless someone bids a higher amount. You'll either win or you'll lose.
The only reason you're frustrated is that your cheap tricks and gimmicks didn't work as you expected them to.

The actual bidded amount should be shown.

So that the friends of the guy, who posted the item can always max up the current bid to the max bid? No.
There were actual exploits, which allowed players to max out someone's bid in order to ensure, that theyr friends get the max bid and not just the current bid.
Blizzard actually took the time and fixed this, because it was an actual flaw.

Again, if you want to win -- you bid the highest sum you're willing to pay for an item and you either win or you lose. You don't get to win just because you can stay awake at ungodly hours. Some people actually have jobs.
Reply Quote
Proxy bidding system if fine, but what would help the game is making the timers invisible. The actions stays up for 1d12h but no one could actually see the timer, preventing people from sniping at the last millisecond and refreshing like crazy for the 1d12h buyouts.

As long as bigger and faster progress can be achieved by exploiting AH mechanics rather than by actually playing the game, the game will stay broken for 95% of the playerbase.
Reply Quote
It sounds from your example that the the previous/current bidder actually placed a higher maximum bid before you placed your bids. Because your bids have all been lower than the maximum bid that the other player is willing to play (and this maximum amount is hidden so that you cannot see it), each time you place a bid, they've still been coming out ahead of you, and will continue to be "in the lead" until your maximum bid exceeds their maximum bid.

[url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9499181757#2"]LapChi's explanation[/url] is a good one, and I'd encourage you to read over our [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guide/items/auction-house#bidding"]Game Guide article on how bidding works in Diablo III[/url] as well.

Yes and maybe the game shouldn't work like this because of how frustrating this is. Why show a value of 40 mil when the actual bid is 65 mil? The actual bidded amount should be shown. The current way does not make sense and I am sure this will not be fixed either like most of the other flaws.
It happens so people dont get sniped at the end and i believe its a good idea. if you arent willing to pay as much as the next person why should they show u how much the lead bidder bidded.
Reply Quote
Bots are still the problem because people use them in the game to get gold they did not earn the same way that people that don't bot earned theirs, picking it up, or buying it. Blizzard knows the types of items people want or need to upgrade and or to make certain builds work to their full potential of the game. Why not just allow this type of game play, because it does help to keep people playing the game? Sure there does need to be elements of risk, fun, challenge, and reward. It just doesn't need to be in the AH, it needs to be in the part of the game players should focus on, Story mode.
Reply Quote
This is the EXACT same bidding system ebay uses... It ultimately SAVES you money/gold in the long run.
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 08:38 PMPosted by Zodcra
The auction house is pretty good, but as a typical bidding session in real life, there is a 1, 2, 3 sold!
This is not true!!!

Look at it as a blind bidding situation...there is never a 1-2-3 sold in blind bidding....This is basically a blind bidding... with a proxy that actually saves you money...If it were straight blind bidding, you would pay whatever you bid, instead of just 1 bid higher than the best bid!!!

The system doesn't have flaws, you just have to understand how it works!!
Reply Quote
The auction house is a bit wonky IMO.

Ex: I have 40M

Item on house for 10K (clearly a bot placed in on.) Actual Value: 20M

I Bid 25M

I win item for the 10K price + 3.75M (15%) = 3.85M

Sell on buyout/minbid = 18M

Easy pickings - it's not how a live auction works but hey, I give credit to Blizz for giving it a wack. Now I think it's time they realize how silly this is - though rectifying it would be worse IMO.

The only sacrifice to extreme bids is that you can't buy other things with the tied up money - big deal. I don't NEED to buy the items at the time anyway, nor did I plan on spending 25M on repairs, so whenever I log in I make a couple ridiculous bids and continue on my way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]