Diablo® III

Loot 2.0, discovering its true potential.

Its great to see blues are passing this info along. WE WANT THIS STUFF Blizz.
Reply Quote
Nice post...

Been away from this title and finally broke down and played wow.. again.
I think you covered many things I too personally would like to see added and or changed for this game. One thing that has me worried about the future of Diablo 3 is how very Linear and boring the game can feel.

Someone with your skills and ability to create a vision should map out some concept art of either a infinite dungeon concept or "something else" that captures that feeling of Diablo without just forcing us back into a point by point story line with all that dialog.

I mean once or twice or even thrice is just fine but how many times do I need to save Tyreal from the the Butcher? really... One fun concept for me is the idea of doing a Diablo 1 dungeon maze. It would be sorta like a infinite dungeon except for that it actually would have Church, Catacombs, Caves, and then Hell...

Each sub level is extremely expansive and randomized like a huge maze. Each sub level pulls from a variety of monsters and demons. Once you reach Hell and make it through that labyrinth you are able to unlock a classic redesigned and Male (huge and awesome looking) Diablo.

If you can kill him... He must be Uber hard... then you get a something special.

i'm pretty sure d3 devs have already tried out infinite dungeon. go google around it.

the problem with an "increasing difficulty" infinite dungeon is very quickly you will consume the levels and end up in a scenario that to survive, you end up sacrificing dps for tankiness (sword/shield barb) and end up with a 30 minute to kill 1 pack scenario.

mathematically everyone will hit this scenario (even cm wizards) I mean, how many of you can survive eg: if electrified quadruplied its damage today. then maybe 8x multiplier? then 16x multiplier.

is there a challenge when there is a mathematically calculable point when you can not "exceed" the level difficulty.

I should think the problem is not "infinite dungeon", but one of "variety", its been often said that this game is a racing game with 3 courses. what we need is one with 1 hundred courses. (ie: more mobs type, more variety, more scenary, more scenarios (underwater, lava, air, outerspace, ethereal plane, more circles of hell, more levels of the 7 heavens, cities of mud monsters, djinn , land of hi tech automatons, steam punk)..

*edit: also, what is the ideal playtime per session usually? I should think 30min-45minutes before you take a break. now imagine an infinite dungeon where you start at lvl 1. so you spended 30 minutes getting to lvl 15. and then spending the next 30 minutes getting to lvl 20, then the next 30 minutes getting to lvl 21.. you will always peak at lvl 21. if the mobs are exactly what you see in act 1-act4, wouldn't that be boring EVENTUALLY? (ie: skels first. ending up with morlu incinerators) how many thousands of hours can you spend in "this infinite dungeon"?

you can certainly simulate this in a thought experiment.
run your game in FOM or Dalghur oasis on mp1
repeat mp2-mp10
now start again at mp1, take off 1 piece of armor
repeat mp 2-mp10
rinse and repeat until you are naked.

that is what it'll feel like.

I feel that a game needs a proper ending/closure. right now ending runs on keywarden kills feels nice. getting killed/ending the game where the difficulty is mathematically insurmountable seems more of a dissapointment.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 7/24/2013 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just for the record... I think most of the OP's ideas are great.

Here are my top 10 in order:

1. Having purple monsters drop special crafting items to use at the Mystic.
2. Bringing in the Mystic and the ability to improve your own items.
3. Different types of Brimstone that do different things.
4. Ability to find higher level gems.
5. Adding new tabs in the on person inventory for different categories of items.
6. Exploring ways to exceed the current NV cap.
7. Remove a NV for each time you die.
8. Adding more legendary items (obviously already happening).
9. Adding more lore to legendary items.
10. Adding more achievements for finding items and a journal of found items.

Things I disagree with:

1. Removing gem levels from the progression. I don't think it's broken... there are much bigger fish to fry.
Edited by DoubleD#1397 on 7/29/2013 5:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Nice post...

Been away from this title and finally broke down and played wow.. again.
I think you covered many things I too personally would like to see added and or changed for this game. One thing that has me worried about the future of Diablo 3 is how very Linear and boring the game can feel.

Someone with your skills and ability to create a vision should map out some concept art of either a infinite dungeon concept or "something else" that captures that feeling of Diablo without just forcing us back into a point by point story line with all that dialog.

I mean once or twice or even thrice is just fine but how many times do I need to save Tyreal from the the Butcher? really... One fun concept for me is the idea of doing a Diablo 1 dungeon maze. It would be sorta like a infinite dungeon except for that it actually would have Church, Catacombs, Caves, and then Hell...

Each sub level is extremely expansive and randomized like a huge maze. Each sub level pulls from a variety of monsters and demons. Once you reach Hell and make it through that labyrinth you are able to unlock a classic redesigned and Male (huge and awesome looking) Diablo.

If you can kill him... He must be Uber hard... then you get a something special.

i'm pretty sure d3 devs have already tried out infinite dungeon. go google around it.

the problem with an "increasing difficulty" infinite dungeon is very quickly you will consume the levels and end up in a scenario that to survive, you end up sacrificing dps for tankiness (sword/shield barb) and end up with a 30 minute to kill 1 pack scenario.

mathematically everyone will hit this scenario (even cm wizards) I mean, how many of you can survive eg: if electrified quadruplied its damage today. then maybe 8x multiplier? then 16x multiplier.

is there a challenge when there is a mathematically calculable point when you can not "exceed" the level difficulty.

I should think the problem is not "infinite dungeon", but one of "variety", its been often said that this game is a racing game with 3 courses. what we need is one with 1 hundred courses. (ie: more mobs type, more variety, more scenary, more scenarios (underwater, lava, air, outerspace, ethereal plane, more circles of hell, more levels of the 7 heavens, cities of mud monsters, djinn , land of hi tech automatons, steam punk)..

I love those ideas.. :)
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Monstrous

Although I agree that it would be great to receive new items in the lead up, the devs have already stated they plan to launch the itemization patch as one giant package so it's unlikely this would happen.

Oh I wasn't very clear in that post I guess, I meant release them as a post or even just the image. Not in the actual game ;)

Ah I see, I totally agree. Really looking forward to the next blog post from the devs that show off some of the upcoming changes that have been confirmed.
Reply Quote
These are some great ideas, and this post sparked a lot of excitement in me when I read it on Diablo Fans the other day. While I'm not a fan of the MF/NV idea, it's great that these kinds of things are being discussed. From everything I've read in the developer's interviews to this thread, I'm extremely excited for 1.0.9 and all of the changes it will bring.
Reply Quote
View profile
Hi everyone,

If you ask any veteran Diablo player what their most memorable moment was from a past Diablo game, more often than not it will involve a story about the time when a certain rare item dropped for them. Whether that drop was a legendary (unique) item which was statistically next to impossible to find, a high rune needed to craft an amazing runeword, or even just a legendary item with perfect stats, the feeling was pretty much all the same (alright.. finding something like a Windforce, Zod rune, or Tyrael’s Might was a little different haha). Players could probably even go as far as recalling the time of day, act, zone, or monster that dropped that particular item, it was that memorable. How can we give this same nostalgia feeling back to the items in Diablo III?

Please take a look at my most recent post on Diablofans.com and let me show you how I think this feeling could be brought back. I'd post the entire topic here but without the pictures it doesn't really have the same weight.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/99370-loot-20-discovering-its-true-potential/

Hope you all enjoy
This is a really great, and comprehensive set of suggestions and feedback! Thanks for putting that all together, Monstrous, and for all of you for sharing your thoughts! We're definitely keeping an eye on this thread and would love to hear your loot-related thoughts. :)

This thread and his ideas have been wildly popular @ Diablofans as well. Not that everything is a homerun, but the basic ideas of dynamic loot and diversity has intrigued many there. I've actually never seen a thread get that many up-votes at Diablofans.

Monstrous isn't the only one whom appreciates your response here. We all are.
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Zombie
I personally saw it on Monday (it was posted on Sunday) and have been tracking it and passing it along to relevant individuals since then. Simply because we don't comment on a thread does not mean it escapes notice. It's quite the opposite, actually!

While I get that, I think it's something you guys should alter your process on.

It's like working, you know yourself you're doing a great job, but it's really nice when your boss tells you you're doing a good job and you hear it from your colleagues.

In any case, more responses or just more presence would be cooler. Even a simple "Thanks" to see that you are around :)

Often times a blue post will derail conversations.
Reply Quote
This post makes me think there is a possible chance for success on this game. I find it sad to say that players are the only ones able to think of better suggestions than the people getting paid $1,000's of dollars to do.
Reply Quote
This thread = winning.

Glad the blues found it.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/24/2013 08:32 PMPosted by ISmkPotatoes
This post makes me think there is a possible chance for success on this game. I find it sad to say that players are the only ones able to think of better suggestions than the people getting paid $1,000's of dollars to do.

I understand your frustration. But suggesting ideas on a web forum and actually implementing and designing the game around ideas is a long and arduous task.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III
View profile
07/24/2013 08:05 PMPosted by cultclassic
These are some great ideas, and this post sparked a lot of excitement in me when I read it on Diablo Fans the other day. While I'm not a fan of the MF/NV idea, it's great that these kinds of things are being discussed. From everything I've read in the developer's interviews to this thread, I'm extremely excited for 1.0.9 and all of the changes it will bring.

Most changes will come in the expansion they've stated, don't expect much before Blizzcon. I'd be prepared to see some great stuff from them.
Reply Quote
I'm still sort of baffled how this guys post is becoming so popular. Pretty much every other post somehow comments on how much fun these suggestions seem to be and how players would be flocking back if implemented.

I seriously don't get it at all. D3 is already a fun game with its game play being much more enjoyable than any other arpg I've ever played. Its just that on top of it not really being very rewarding, it's probably the least random randomly generated game I've ever played, lacking heavily in tile set variety and actual combinations they can be combined in. This is pretty much my biggest problem with the game, and not the loot.

Even if D3 were to get some amazing loot system patched in immediately, players still probably wouldn't stick around for long. For myself, this is mostly due to the sheer boredom felt through monster and zone repetition and subsequently never really being able to fully recapture that same feeling of discovery that I'm sure we all got on our first play through. The last time I felt something close to that was surprisingly within the Infernal Machine while fighting the Uber bosses, and that had nothing to do with items. What it did have were interesting new takes on the familiar and depending on what class you played, a genuine challenge to try and take down.

Admittedly pretty much any change to D3 has had me crawling back, but the only changes that really had any staying power for myself were the paragon levels, infernal machine, and monster density adjustments.

If anything D3 currently has the loot system a lot of you guys think you want, with supposed infinite replay-ability with how ridiculously rare amazing items actually are, and I hope we all know by now that this doesn't really work well at all. Making "the good" legendaries even more rare and then throwing a sparkly legendary ping on top of it is a pretty laughable solution.

In case you guys forgot, we've already had one major overhaul of unique items already and that didn't really do a whole lot to bring many players back and keep them here. In fact, a lot of the smaller item changes that are generally favored by the community actually go against many of the op's suggestions.

Even after reading many more of the posts here I still fail to understand how this is getting so much support. Especially considering how detrimental this guys magic find proposals and additional gold sinks are to the game. Diablo 3 has a lot wrong with it, and expecting everything to be fixed with a basic item patch is just setting yourself up for disappointment. This community is still hell bent on prosecuting D3's item system to the point where it's now ignoring everything else wrong with the game, which In my opinion are just as important if not more so.
Reply Quote
I sincerely mean this from the bottom of my heart, I would gladly spend another $60 if even half of these ideas were implemented in the expansion.

Also, OP, your photoshop work is fantastic.
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 08:37 PMPosted by BurningRope

I understand your frustration. But suggesting ideas on a web forum and actually implementing and designing the game around ideas is a long and arduous task.

They can't fix simplistic issues with their own system. The tasks might be arduous, but anything that takes no effort is ignored, yet it would have a significant impact on the game.
Reply Quote
I'm still sort of baffled how this guys post is becoming so popular. Pretty much every other post somehow comments on how much fun these suggestions seem to be and how players would be flocking back if implemented.

Even after reading many more of the posts here I still fail to understand how this is getting so much support. Especially considering how detrimental this guys magic find proposals and additional gold sinks are to the game. Diablo 3 has a lot wrong with it, and expecting everything to be fixed with a basic item patch is just setting yourself up for disappointment. This community is still hell bent on prosecuting D3's item system to the point where it's now ignoring everything else wrong with the game, which In my opinion are just as important if not more so.

thats why i'm glad that its not players making this game.

here is some change (with very flawed consequences) , that just because its different, is being upvoted by the hordes
Reply Quote
Someone get this man a job on the D3 team. I want to play this version of D3 so bad.

These are some of the best idea's I've seen surrounding any topic of D3's mechanics.
Edited by Myst#1264 on 7/24/2013 10:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As previous post have said, blizz. The job has been done for you, just implement it.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
07/24/2013 10:36 PMPosted by Le0nell
As previous post have said, blizz. The job has been done for you, just implement it.

It's been started (in terms of brainstorming). It's by no means "done for them". ;)
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]