Diablo® III

Building a PC need advice-

SO someone gave me a free tower... it is an old E-machine case with like 40 gig hard drive and all other crap stats.... i am going to take out all the hard ware, and clean it out, and paint the case...

then get all new componnents.

my quesitons-
Will any mother board fit in any case? or does it have to be the same "type" that was in before?
Can any power supply work?
Once i get mother board, will i need to make sure that HD, Ram, and graphincs will be compatible, or are all compatible...

and will the new hard ware come with screws ect.... or do i need to save?

once i get everything started i will post pics and do a progress thread as well... if i can follow through.
Reply Quote
07/19/2013 12:24 PMPosted by GlyKon
Will any mother board fit in any case? or does it have to be the same "type" that was in before?

Chances are, this old case has the power supply at the top of the case. Bad idea to have such sucking in hot air to cool it down. I would throw it out this case and get a new one.

Can any power supply work?

As long as it is from a reputable company. Seasonic and Antec to name two.

But if you are getting new parts, it's wise to get a new power supply.

Once i get mother board, will i need to make sure that HD, Ram, and graphincs will be compatible, or are all compatible...

It's on you to make sure all components are compatible with the motherboard. This is especially important with CPU and RAM.

and will the new hard ware come with screws ect.... or do i need to save?

Not all of them have screws. But I would think all new towers would pack in all that you need. I know my one did.
Edited by Hypersonic#1142 on 7/19/2013 6:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You can get pretty good cases for 50ish. Might not be a bad idea to just start fresh.

I'm not sure about the tower, but, I know that cases from some of the big brands are pretty much special made for them. They just won't offer the space, or ventilation needed for a custom builders needs. Just make sure to get one with a bottom mount. I'd also suggest making sure it's at least 7.5 inch wide, so you can add a proper aftermarket cooler later.

Make sure to get a case that's tested. Many of the lesser brands will lie about their sizes. I've seen cases claim to be 8 inch wide, while in reality it was 7.25... Can't fit a good aftermarket in that.

You should post your intended budget, you'd be surprised with what you can make for $400 - $600 (More is better).

If you watch for deals, you can make a pretty good gaming rig, case included for 600ish. Sub 500 if you don't mind integrated graphics (I'd suggest against).
Reply Quote
thanks guys for the tips. my budget is around 500-600 over a few months time... not all at once. this way i can maybe do a little more even...

i already got rid of the case, it was gross inside and just plain old... so ill get a new case to start fresh.

thanks alot guys.. keep on letting info come in:)
Reply Quote
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]