Diablo® III

D3 Offline mode?

I dont think i need a better description than the label itself..
Reply Quote
I struggle to see why they just cant' do it for PC... RMAH is not the reason why they keep PC online - otherwise they would have made console online only too...

must be because of trainers and bots on PC?
Reply Quote
There was a recent survey issued by EA/Maxis to players of SimCity (2013) asking a variety of questions and answering on a 1-5 scale. One question referred to an offline mode. This comes after a horrible launch and Maxis trying everything to fix up their mess.

Xbox fans went into maximum nerd rage mode when Microsoft announced their DRM policies for the Xbox One. They did a major backflip days later after being mocked by Sony at E3.

Just a glimpse of how much players HATE online DRM. Get a clue Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Will not happen, because they want revenue from RMAH.
Reply Quote
07/16/2013 07:37 PMPosted by jtcdgroup
they want revenue from RMAH

yeah - so it has been said many times before - but if the revenue is the clincher - then why not have the console versions to be online only too?

Blizz was strongarmed into offline mode by console makers...could be one explanation for it...

Doesn't mean that I am happy about having to play online, social aspect is great... but I don't play hardcore for the stupid lag/latency issues - I used to LOVE playing D2 on hardcore!
Reply Quote
I struggle to see why they just cant' do it for PC... RMAH is not the reason why they keep PC online - otherwise they would have made console online only too...

must be because of trainers and bots on PC?

I thought it was pretty obvious from the outset - making it online only essentially prevents any and all attempts at making illegal copies/downloads. AFAIK, the best anybody has managed so far with Diablo 3 is an emulated server, equal in content to the Beta (i.e. level 13 cap, can only get up to Skeleton King). The fact that it is online only means that they can keep some of the game files and code server side, making it near impossible to copy as an overall package. Considering SC2 was the most pirated game of the year - there is some precedent for this from Blizzard's perspective.

The consoles are a very different market - one in which, for now at least, an 'online only' game would likely not be a success, not to mention, again AFAIK, pirating of games is far less prevalent.

The excuse coughed up by Blizzard (also used at first by Microsoft on their X1 online-only description) about it enhancing players' experiences due to the wealth of online options/communities is some of the most blatant bull#*@% I've ever heard spewed out by a company to justify something extremely negative about their product - I sincerely doubt that any consumers would see forced online modes as 'enhancing' their experiences.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I thought it was pretty obvious from the outset - making it online only essentially prevents any and all attempts at making illegal copies/downloads.

Yeah, like that worked......
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
08/03/2013 08:51 PMPosted by Mirisanelle
I thought it was pretty obvious from the outset - making it online only essentially prevents any and all attempts at making illegal copies/downloads.

Yeah, like that worked......

It did work, there still isn't a fully working Diablo 3 private server all the 'working' ones are scams and keyloggers.

This is why blizzard did online only and it worked fine. The RMAH thing people throw around is just an excuse people like to blame.

Also compare the amount of dupes and hacks in D3 to D2, D3 may have some that blizz work on but it's all there was in D2. People just don't like to admit it.
Reply Quote
D3 Offline.........ask yoursef,how many games have been hacked botted,modded and trashed due to hackers.Sure D3 has a long way to go,but what it does have is player equality.I get on D3 knowing full well only very few are running bots or mods.The moment Blizzard decides to go off line with D3 will be same moment all player secirity will be comprimised not to mention a couple of thousand charactors instantly leveled and sold to the highest bidder.I trust Blizzard to make the choices,IF Blizzard does decide a off line mode nessesary,perhaps a login to play still nessesary and most certainly a scan of the game before play required. D2 has been comprimised for years,dont let D3 fall into the same hands.
Reply Quote
My PS4 will have D3 offline... Which is what i want.

While i like that the PC version stops exploitation ( for the most part ) due to it's online only nature... I didn't enjoy getting to lvl 60 HC on 250+ ms. While this is more of a geographical problem, i don't want anymore competitive play at ridiculous amounts of ms.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
The only way a offline selection can be added is to have a different set of TOONS that play offline only.....So they never see online game play!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It did work, there still isn't a fully working Diablo 3 private server all the 'working' ones are scams and keyloggers.

Um...look, lemme lay it out for you. There may be no "private servers that are working" because I have been made aware of a series of hacks (and no I dont play D3 AT ALL so I have never done this) that make the game playable offline.

Do you think that D3 cant be hacked or modded or altered or reverse engineered...?

Seriously...?

This is why blizzard did online only and it worked fine. The RMAH thing people throw around is just an excuse people like to blame.

D3 has been riddled with bots, hacks, cheats,dupes from day one.

Also compare the amount of dupes and hacks in D3 to D2, D3 may have some that blizz work on but it's all there was in D2. People just don't like to admit it.

D2 was OFFLINE, we didnt have to worry about the "online only:" as there wasnt any "online only", you COULD play online if you wanted to but the VAST majority of people played it to the end OFFLINE.

D2 had mods, fanmade maps, new MPQ's, new monsters and had a thriving mod community that Blizzard was well aware of and didnt mind at all

http://phrozenkeep.hugelaser.com/

D3 has no new content, no maps, no mods, D3 is a failed CRPG.

Modded characters offline could NOT be taken online, I know because I used a few D2 modmaps like Ancestral Recall, Eastern Sun...oh and before you say anything?

Blizzard told me about the mod community back when D2 was still in current mode.

SO: Why cant D3 have an offline mode with toons that cant be taken online?.

I dont give a rats about the RMAH.

I dont want to play online 24/7.

I am sick to bloody death of lag, lag , more lag, disconnections, connection errors, maintenance, more maintenance, downtimes, rubberbanding, gold sellers, no Aussie servers, lag spikes galore...you lot gave me D3 for the WOW annual pass and since day one when I took one look at it and experienced the nightmare associated with the massive latency, turned it off.

Launch day? Was an unmitigated and inexcusable stuff up of Biblical proportions.

Blizzard sold this game and refused to provide us with a level of service commensurate with that experienced by its other customers. It still does.

Blizzard refuses to give us Aussie servers,

Blizzard has strung us along for years with vague promises of "we are looking at it" which is the same utter swill they threw at WOW for close to nine years.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889450424?page=8#153

This is true for the forum rules.
But I'll give a update anyway, just keep in mind this is a exception to the rule :)

Yes, we are continuing to review how to improve the player experience for the Aus/NZ region. So what does that mean exactly?
It means that we haven’t ruled out any option which includes looking into the solution by the original poster.
What is certain is that even looking into these suggestions will take time. So once we have something more solid then I will definitely update everyone here in the Aus/NZ forums.

Note the date:

Edited by Arcagnion on 6/21/2012 9:24 PM PDT

and then this

Well the current situation is that nothing major is going to happen before the end of the year. Really wish I could just say 'Nothing is ever going to happen' but it’s not like that.

10/3/2012

The same promises, the same vague palmoffs, the same disinterest, the same excuses.

That last post was ten months ago..

Now they are releasing a console version offline with no RMAH when it appears that they either cant, or I more or less suspect WONT, give us an offline PC version with toons that cant be taken online.

If they can do one then they can do the other.
Edited by Bretanus12#1482 on 8/7/2013 8:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
61 Draenei Paladin
Indeed DRM the bane of gaming...
Remember, on a similar topic, EA's war against used games.
lol good times...
Reply Quote
There's been massive dupe's, cheats, bots & bot nets.
When someone showed how to do one on a high viewer twitch, blizz handled the situation terribly bad... They bought up gems on AH for any amount, then banned the users. Users who didn't even dupe the gems! After over a day, they took AH offline. But did they roll back a revert? NO! Trillions of gold injected by cheats in a single day.
How many of the first para 100's had the same exact dupe'd weapon?
Can you pick a bot on the highscores table?

How about getting rid of sweatshops/gold spammers?
God I even get spammed for D3 gold in non-blizzard games!

It's odiously to stop people pirating there game. Or people selling there PC version 2nd hand when very unhappy with it.

Is it too much to ask for a offline, no AH-Trade with other players, mode for PC that let non-USA/Europe players play HardCore?

^- I'd also like to note, if your account dose get hacked... Your 'revert ya stuff' rules are now... You get 10mil gold back. I still have my offline-never played with anyone, never cheat'ed self found, save files of my D2 toons backed up by myself.
Edited by Bweaty#1181 on 8/16/2013 8:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i got D3 because i'm a big fan of diablo series, but something that i have prayed so far is for an OFFLINE mode, i'm not from AU/NZ, i'm from Costa Rica but i can relate about the issues with connection lag and other stuff

it is annoying, utterly annoying, i don't care about the RMAH, i just want to play the game without the need of a constant internet connection...

in my case my connection is slow, so the fluidity of the game is compromised, the latency and the lag are awful, and being lag-killed is absolutely stressful

said that, i have left the game unfinished and i don't think that i would ever play it again unless it will be offline

Blizzard can't say that the game cannot be played offline, the console version is the absolute overkill for that statement

so by so far, blizzard and the DRM sucks awfully, sad but true, blizz guys killed Diablo series with that online only policy
Reply Quote
Why can't they just have an offline character mode. So you create a character for offline mode that can only be used offline. Like the difference between a regular and harrdcore character. No transferring items between offline and online characters, all that sort of stuff.

That way you can still have your online characters to use with auction houses and play with friends and offline characters when you want to play offline.

I know that means you wouldn't be able to use those characters to play with friends, but its a start. Maybe a LAN option for those characters?
Reply Quote
y u no can play offline? 4 letters, think of it yourself
Reply Quote
console dosn't have rmah so thats why it has offline mode XD
Reply Quote
the main reason i think is that if botters had access to the character coding then it would be much easyer for them to make bots but that to me seems like the only thing that is stopping it and anyways its an online game people need to get used to it noone askes for world of warcraft offline mode or any other mmo type game so just get used to it if you dont like it get a console :)
Reply Quote
09/03/2013 09:36 AMPosted by grunfire
the main reason i think is that if botters had access to the character coding then it would be much easyer for them to make bots but that to me seems like the only thing that is stopping it and anyways its an online game people need to get used to it noone askes for world of warcraft offline mode or any other mmo type game so just get used to it if you dont like it get a console :)

it also gives them all the code related to level generation, item generation, Enemy AI logic etc. giving them an excellent view of how the game operates on a technical level making it easier to make nastier hacks/find nastier security flaws within the system.

Research can also be done offline away from Blizzard's prying eyes with ease ensuring hackers don't risk needing to buy multiple accounts should any get banned because Blizzard won't know to ban any of the hackers accounts until its too late..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]