Diablo® III

Self found benchmarks

Ive set a goal of trying to get one of each character type to finish Hell self found. If I do accomplish this than Id definitely like to try and start Inferno with my monk and then the others as well.

What are some good benchmarks to be shooting for in terms of character stats before trying to begin farming in Inferno? I'd appreciate information on any character type but am most interested in the monk class.
Reply Quote
I don't have a HC monk, but to function on mp10 in SC you need 500ish RA with OWE and 50k hp. Using that, I'd say the same stats would be a good starting place for HC inferno, and just sacrifice DPS for survivability until you get inferno drops.
Reply Quote
Are you just looking to do MP0-3 ~ish runs or are you trying to do much greater levels?

If you're trying to do MP0 then you shouldn't have to farm too much...
I just did A1 the other day on my WD with ~17k dps and ~85k life (lol) but i steamrolled through the entire thing without any problems. As fas as mobs go I could just easily spam bears which is a cheap way of sorts by means of killing with low dps because its so powerful.

With a monk I'd say you would do well with ~15k dps min and ~50k life to be on the safe side and that should get you through MP0 without any real problems unless you run into some annoying affix mob like Shield/RD/Jailer/Frozen...something that would prevent you from getting away and still give you the slightest problem fighting.

I would recommend some LoH if you manage to find any decent weapons that have it, as Life Steal really won't do you any good below ~50k DPS. Also some resists won't hurt you. If you could somehow get your hands on the good crafting plans for bracers/gloves/shoulders it would do well very early and even later on since Blizzard made crafting such a viable option now in comparison to buying form the AH, making it much better for those who Challenge themselves to self-found playstyles.

Other then that I don't have too much to add. Maybe swapping Mystic Ally out later on for something more defensive like Blinding Flash:Faith in the Light and definitely swap out one of your passives for OWE if you can manage to find some similar elemental resist items after you hit 45.

I'm sure someone else will have stuff to add to this that might be more helpful, but thats my two cents for you. Much luck to you man, self-found HC is very rewarding. Keep up the good progress.

~xStoltie#1844
Reply Quote
To complete inferno on a monk, you should have

700-ish AR
50-ish hp
35k-ish dps
5k-ish armor

Thats more than enough for mp0, and its not that hard to accomplish for a self-found char, been there done that...Just watch out for the kw in act4, get him alone and not with another elite pack, g/l
Reply Quote
I have been playing barb self found. Some of these numbers people throw around are a bit absurd for surviving hell/inferno and rely on heavy use of -level items from the AH. If you are playing self found, you won't be going through hell at MP10. It's not going to happen. You could do it, but it's nowhere near efficient, and you won't down Belial at MP10 self found. You want to get to Act 3/4 hell ASAP to farm ilvl 60/61/62 gear. Once you get to level 60 in Act 3, Hell, items start flowing in from NV stacks.

Do MP10 for normal, dropping to MP5 or so for Act 4.

Do MP5 Nightmare, dropping to MP2/3 for Act 4.

Do Hell at MP0. Expect your dps to stay flat for most of hell and work on increasing armor with +armor gear and adding 100-200 resists without losing damage.

Completion of Nightmare stats--
~20-25K hp
~4K dps

Completed Hell A3/4 at MP0--
30K hp
4k armor
150 resist all
6K dps

Completed A1 Inferno at MP0--
35K hp
5k armor
250 resist all (feels comfortable)
10K dps (can do butcher with less)

Complete A2 Inferno at MP0--
40K hp
5k armor
350 resist all (feels comfortable)
18K dps (sufficient for belial)

FYI, stats required for efficient farming of Hell MP10 and MP0 Act 2 are very close. MP0 Act 2 is way more rewarding, so you are better off in Inferno Act 2 if you can do MP10 Act 3 Hell.

Right now, my barb is at:
45K hp
6K armor
480 resist all
22K dps (~28K with buffs, no wrath)

I have beaten Ghom, but I need more DPS to quickly and safely kill elites in Fields of Slaughter, so I farm A2 VotA and everything up to and including Ghom. Progressing through game, I relied on HotA:Thunderstrike and Rend. Rend for all trash, HotA for elites. Once battle rage:into the fray was available, I could use HotA more often to stun.

As self found, it is unlikely you will get the life on hit, life steal, and/or critical chance needed to run end game builds. So, you have to improvise and make due with what you get. Well placed stuns are incredibly powerful for dealing with elites and trash mobs (HotA:Thunderstrike is amazing for barb). I had some life on kill items for a while that kept me healed. Recently found some +globes shoulders and this is how I keep my barb up and running. Just keep damaging the elite and it will drop globes to heal you.

Also, all stats above are without Warcry and running mostly offensive builds - I used superstition in Hell and early Inferno, but have since been able to drop it. I did not use warcry or revenge for any of hell or inferno, instead relying on HotA:Thunderstrike to avoid damage completely and let inspiring presence heal between packs. I do have a huge amount of play experience with barb from softcore, so your mileage may vary...
Reply Quote
View profile
While there are specific numbers one can shoot for with each class, don't discount any previous experience playing a specific class for many hours. Most of mine (softcore and hardcore) has been on a wizard and I posted my experience of playing self found over on Asia in the following (long because it was a stream of conscious sort of posting). Starting from zilch this way, the first character is always the most difficult. Even something as simple as a flawless square ruby that you can socket into your first socketed weapon is a bit off until the artisan is leveled up.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9478777889

As mentioned, my main there is a wizard but I've found all my prior hardcore playtime on the class valuable in many instances since some reactions that have become second nature, proved to be very helpful in dealing with certain situations.

Roughly, my stats at the end of Hell difficulty (no MP since I tried at MP5 which is what I finished Nightmare on, and found it too problematic), were 38k health, 3.5k armor (buffed), 7.5k damage, around 140-160 all resist (well below the 200 I usually try to shoot for with Act 3/4 hell). Also mentioned is no reduced level gear which tends to trivialize nightmare/hell to a great extent. Thus I concur with Jim that you'll find other ways to compensate (which is where prior play experience with various builds on your class of choice, can yield benefits when it comes to doing more, with less).

Thus my initial Inferno starter gear and stats were a joke but not that problematic to raise by just killing some of those easier zombies early on (eventually got a decent socketed sword for example which finally gave me a five figure character sheet damage).

http://kr.battle.net/d3/ko/profile/Murasama-1820/hero/26001343

I finally cleared Act 3 this weekend and have been farming portions of it. Still find it the best place on MP0 to farm for upgrades which I did get (socketed ring/amulet were nice upgrades that pushed me from 35k to 39k damage, and 6k to 6.4k buffed armor for example. I think I could make some gold selling them but they are literally priceless for my character at this juncture).

I feel like I'm just an upgrade or two away from green lighting a go at Act 4 (which is kind of funny due to this feeling of anticipating just slightly better but still comparatively crappy gear). Those non-armor+ Firewalkers have been my only high level legendary and the best Inferno level boots (lack of movement speed on every rare one) that have dropped to date (brimstone worthy in most non-SF scenarios but totally awesome in this case). Thus I'm really looking forward to that next ding/ray of light (been getting plenty of this on my lower level characters like Goldwrap and Chaingmail - the only one I'm using though are the Boj Anglers).

You can look at where my lower level dh, monk, and witch doctor are at to get an idea. My first demon hunter ate it at Normal MP5 against Rakanoth. I'm just playing my current one on MP2. I'm playing my monk at Nightmare MP5 and witch doctor at Nightmare MP8. I adjust the MP level based on how the character plays through the content (both damage output and mitigation). My monk is around the same level as yours but having the benefit of a higher level character makes things a bit easier (previously found gear I stashed plus a nice inventory of gems). But my wizard was initially in that same boat.

Right now, I'm hitting that stride where so long as I don't die, I can build up a nice inventory of gems, mats, and gem designs/blacksmith recipes. I think once I get my next character to 60/Inferno (looking like it will be my witch doctor), I'll have a fairly decent foundation to build off of.
Reply Quote
Doesn't look like OP stated he was playing MP10 self-found, the 2nd poster did.

Personally, I shoot for the following stats for Inferno to begin farming Act 1:

DPS = 15-20K
Life = 50-60K
Armor = 4000+
AR - 400-500 (you can get by with less, just be careful).

You can get by with less DPS in Act 1, but I find that can go pretty slow. Especially when you're trying to farm for higher level gear. Less life is not recommended, more is always better. Getting stuck by an elite with a nasty affix like Desecration, Plague or Arcane and your life will melt pretty quickly.
Reply Quote
View profile
I have been playing barb self found. Some of these numbers people throw around are a bit absurd for surviving hell/inferno and rely on heavy use of -level items from the AH. If you are playing self found, you won't be going through hell at MP10. It's not going to happen. You could do it, but it's nowhere near efficient, and you won't down Belial at MP10 self found. You want to get to Act 3/4 hell ASAP to farm ilvl 60/61/62 gear. Once you get to level 60 in Act 3, Hell, items start flowing in from NV stacks.

Do MP10 for normal, dropping to MP5 or so for Act 4.

Do MP5 Nightmare, dropping to MP2/3 for Act 4.

Do Hell at MP0. Expect your dps to stay flat for most of hell and work on increasing armor with +armor gear and adding 100-200 resists without losing damage.

Just as you mentioned that mp0a2 is better than mp10 hell, mp0 a3 is a LOT better farming than mp0 a2. If you're struggling with fields then just do lots of stone/sky/keeps/etc.
Completion of Nightmare stats--
~20-25K hp
~4K dps

Completed Hell A3/4 at MP0--
30K hp
4k armor
150 resist all
6K dps

Completed A1 Inferno at MP0--
35K hp
5k armor
250 resist all (feels comfortable)
10K dps (can do butcher with less)

Complete A2 Inferno at MP0--
40K hp
5k armor
350 resist all (feels comfortable)
18K dps (sufficient for belial)

FYI, stats required for efficient farming of Hell MP10 and MP0 Act 2 are very close. MP0 Act 2 is way more rewarding, so you are better off in Inferno Act 2 if you can do MP10 Act 3 Hell.

Right now, my barb is at:
45K hp
6K armor
480 resist all
22K dps (~28K with buffs, no wrath)

I have beaten Ghom, but I need more DPS to quickly and safely kill elites in Fields of Slaughter, so I farm A2 VotA and everything up to and including Ghom. Progressing through game, I relied on HotA:Thunderstrike and Rend. Rend for all trash, HotA for elites. Once battle rage:into the fray was available, I could use HotA more often to stun.

As self found, it is unlikely you will get the life on hit, life steal, and/or critical chance needed to run end game builds. So, you have to improvise and make due with what you get. Well placed stuns are incredibly powerful for dealing with elites and trash mobs (HotA:Thunderstrike is amazing for barb). I had some life on kill items for a while that kept me healed. Recently found some +globes shoulders and this is how I keep my barb up and running. Just keep damaging the elite and it will drop globes to heal you.

Also, all stats above are without Warcry and running mostly offensive builds - I used superstition in Hell and early Inferno, but have since been able to drop it. I did not use warcry or revenge for any of hell or inferno, instead relying on HotA:Thunderstrike to avoid damage completely and let inspiring presence heal between packs. I do have a huge amount of play experience with barb from softcore, so your mileage may vary...
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the responses so far everyone. It has been extremely helpful!

My monk is currently in Act3 Nightmare where I plan on staying until I craft myself a decent weapon then I'll move through Act4 and onto Hell. Right now a dps of a little over 600 just isn't quite cutting it. I'm getting a ton of mats in Act3 so I think I'll be able to get quite a few shots at a good weapon and my dps will hopefully triple or more in the next few levels.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the responses so far everyone. It has been extremely helpful!

My monk is currently in Act3 Nightmare where I plan on staying until I craft myself a decent weapon then I'll move through Act4 and onto Hell. Right now a dps of a little over 600 just isn't quite cutting it. I'm getting a ton of mats in Act3 so I think I'll be able to get quite a few shots at a good weapon and my dps will hopefully triple or more in the next few levels.

When you get to level 59 don't forget to craft a demon fang. They can roll up to 800dps. You should hit lvl 59 by hell maghda, which at that point you won't find any drops close to that damage until act 4.
If you want someone to run with feel free to add me. All of my HC characters are self found/crafted.
Edited by CyLaNt#1337 on 7/17/2013 9:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Going strong but I'm no sure what's up with D3 and my computer. I'd say D3 shuts off due to an error once every 2 hours. All my video card drivers are up to date. So far though it's only happened once during an elite pack that I wasn't sure I'd be alive when I rebooted the game. Anyone else have frequent game shutdowns?

For the most part I think it may just be due to my computer. I've been pretty unhappy with its reliability ever since I bought it.
Reply Quote
Check your event viewer to see what the error log says. Also make sure your cpu fan/heatsink and gpu fan/heatsink are dust free. Dust on the heatsink limits its ability to disipate power from the processor. Heat is a processors worst nightmare. Also try doing some normal maintenance on your hard disk. Do a disk cleanup and defrag. You can also do a fresh install of d3. Lastly just verify your drivers are up to date. Good luck brother. Also let me know if you need a hand questing, more than happy to help!
Edited by CyLaNt#1337 on 7/17/2013 4:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Benchmarks are definitely relative to the player to some degree, but this thread has a lot of useful tips on the subject. I'm sure I'll be reading this thread again when it comes time for my self found character to take down Belial in Hell difficulty. Good luck in your adventures, Tracon!
Reply Quote
Little update. I got to Diablo in NM at lvl 48 but figured I couldn't go to Hell until 50 anyways soi grinder a couple levels to hit 50 before taking on Diablo. I must say that the elite packs were far far scarier than the Diablo fight. Those mallet lord elites took a lot of kiting and refreshing of skills while Diablo I just stood in whatever he threw at me and slowly killed him without ever dropping below 80% life myself. Here are my self found stats starting Hell. Sure hoping to find better gear soon for more dps!

Armor: 2351
Resists: 55. Ouch!
Dps: 1569. Bigger ouch!?
Health: 23.8k
Reply Quote
I've gotten a few more levels and have been farming early Act1 Hell for materials to craft all of the gear that is available at level 54!

The reason I've been playing it so safe is due to the game continuously shutting down on me. I'm working through the trouble shooting and keep hoping I get the problem fixed. For now, I'll stay in very safe game shutdown place. Hoping to figure out the game issues soon so I can press on. I think I'd do just fine in Act2 and even Act3 very soon if I wasn't getting disconnected every 1 or 2 hours.

I may also start to level some other toons as I try to figure out what is wrong with my computer that keeps making diablo3 shut down so frequently.
Reply Quote
Hey Tracon,

Glad to see you are alive and kicking. I am pretty sure you can find a 500 dps weapon in A2 hell. Just keep farming it until you get one. 4K dps should be plenty to down belial and finish out hell difficulty with ease. I think I was level 56 or 57 when I killed Belial. I used wrath:insanity and almost killed him before he could spawn pools. The fact you cannot get NV before level 60 means there is no shame in changing your build just before the fight to maximize your chances. Remember, you cannot stun him!

Do not craft weapons -- only craft armor at this stage. Weapon crafts are pretty bad from 50-60 compared to drops. Futher, at level 60, only archon crafts are worth the materials, until you can find 6 property plans. Neph valor gives you a 4 property rare item against each elite pack, so it's a waste to make 4 or 5 property rare items when you could just go and kill another elite.

*** Update for my barb

I achieved my goal of self found MP0 Inferno Diablo kill about a week ago!! I farmed MP0 Act 2 quite a bit until I had the gold to buy the archon strength chest plan, since the chests I had found to that point were pretty terrible. Then I made about 4 chests total and got a couple nices ones like you see equipped. I had found the archon and glove plan in MP0 Act1 Inferno, and the archon shoulder plan in MP0 Act3 Inferno. The str shoulders I made are pretty incredible for only 4-5 crafts. Stats when I killed Diablo were approximately--

50k HP
500 resist all
5K armor
1700 life per second with inspiring presence (~900 on gear)
25k dps (~30k with battle rage and ~60k with WotB:Insanity), mighty weapon + shield

I was definitely overgeared for Act 4 when I got there, but I wanted to be comfortable with the -75% healing curses and the mallet lords. Nekarat (KW) is really deadly for barbs, so I was mainly gearing for him.

Now I am switching over to farm mode and actually trying to kill my barb... going full offense and farming MP1 Inferno as fast as I can. I'm building up a cash reserve and reduced level gear for my next characters and keep adding plans to the crafters. When the barb dies, I will make a monk and use my stash to clear inferno again. With a disconnect death around the corner at any time, I don't want to become too attached... Plus, odds are I will get reckless and do something stupid to kill her.

The temptation to use the AH is getting stronger, but, I look at the stuff I have now and feel some pride in my gear and progress. There is some greater satisfaction there compared to softcore. I have found handful of items I can use for WD, Monk, and DH.

I got really lucky with a few key finds. The bracers and pants my barb has are pretty amazing finds for HC. I also learned the value of +globes gear (something I would not have valued as an AH player). The crafted gloves I have are pretty bizarre, but that 10% cc and +11k globes are absolutely essential to my play. The large int and dex go toward resist all and dodge. With limited lifesteal and LoH, I need the +globes to keep my barb alive. It's like my gloves have lifesteal. Eventually they will have to go, but right now, they make MP1 inferno easy and relatively safe.

I get a red screen occasionally, but it would be boring if I did not. My new goal is to be able to run MP5 inferno for keys. Then eventually make some vitality hellfires to make it easier to get all 5 classes to 60 without using the AH.
Reply Quote
View profile
@Tracon,

Regarding your D3 app crashes, have you tried clearing out the Battle.net cache folder?

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/delete-the-battlenet-cache-folder

Also try running the Repair utility

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/repairing-blizzard-games

These two will at least eliminate the possibility of corrupt/outdated file(s) causing the game to constantly crash. Hopefully it is just that instead of something more problematic like an operating system issue or worse, your actual hardware.

---

And just an update, since posting above (when I was around Paragon 10), I began farming Inferno Act 1 MP1 since the mob types there are easier to handle. I finally got a better wand that pushed me over 50k sheet damage at around Paragon 18. So I began farming Act 1 MP2 and that has made a huge difference with my legendary drop rate.

The runs I did earlier today yielded the following (everything dropped off a trash mob except the Wizardspike which came from a corpse):

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8186/r24y.jpg

The biggest and most relevant find though was that Chantodo's Force. While I gave up 8k health, it gave me a 13K damage increase!

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/272/55p9.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6001/s27r.jpg

Overall, considering how awful RNG can be, I wasn't expecting to get over the 60k damage (unbuffed) mark for quite awhile. I've also farmed much better starter Inferno gear for my monk and demon hunter, found some reduced level stuff which will be handy for future leveling, gotten a few more recipes, and am really just building up a nice inventory of crafting materials. Thus I think I've reached that inflection point in self-found which amounts to that sweet spot in terms of progression.

Don't know if the smaller player base on the Asia server is responsible for what I consider, fairly decent drops, but I'm really enjoying how my main character has developed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]