Diablo® III

Demon Hunter EDPS Skill Setup?

All numbers are unbuffed, SHEET.
My 140k Dps DH (manageable EHP), vs a Monk with 70k DPS. Monk outperforms. Or WD with >100k DPS.
This is a topic of some debate on other forums but what would you all say is the best way to maximize EDPS with the skills DH has. Not sure how to pull it off at decent MP?s and be survivable. It would be nice to know since I am new to the game and worked hard to pimp my character just to watch other classes with half my DPS outperform by a wide margin. Does anyone Trap DH in HC? I feel like a glass cannon minus the cannon at the moment.
I'm stuck farming MP1 until I start spending billions or figure this out.
Edited by Sol#1136 on 7/16/2013 8:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
DH dps has always been crap. Their paper dps just doesnt mutliply well.

However, dont fret too much. 70k dps monk probably spent just as much as you if not more in gear, same goes for the WD, their paper dps is just much lower.

When you are solo, echoing blast + bola is still the way to go since it will focus fire and AoE at the same time.

With a CM wiz or cyclone monk, RF is best since they will hold the mobs for you.
Reply Quote
Good to know, I've been using an unlimited hatred RF build since I posted and having fun with it, kind of sucks solo because I'm using too many defensive slots for hatred generation. I will try the bola/ trap variant instead for solo since that sounds like I can have full defensive skill layout as well:)
Reply Quote
BeerLeague explained the difference in sheet dps for the various classes pretty well... they aren't comparable.

My personal preferences for EDPS:

--Elemental Arrow: Ball Lightning - This is still one of the best (aoe) skills out there.
--Rapid Fire: Withering Fire - Cheap high dps single target.
Reply Quote
Hey Opiate,

Nice DH with an interesting skill layout !

What MP do you usually do?
Reply Quote
Hey Opiate,

Nice DH with an interesting skill layout !

What MP do you usually do?

Thx!

I always run in groups, but will use my current setup in anything lower than mp5. I farm mp3, seems to be the most efficient in pubs (even if I have to carry), and never have any Hatred issues. I'll run Ubers in MP5+ but I change up my skills and add a hatred generator for that.
Reply Quote
I always run in groups, but will use my current setup in anything lower than mp5. I farm mp3, seems to be the most efficient in pubs (even if I have to carry), and never have any Hatred issues. I'll run Ubers in MP5+ but I change up my skills and add a hatred generator for that.

I see...I need to start running with a pack :) I have been exclusively soloing, MP2 farming & MP4-5 keys, it's exciting, but dangerous (especially ubers)...
Reply Quote
Here's a little breakdown of my play-style (a la Sherwin)...

Defenses
  • Smoke Screen - De-aggro and dmg mitigation
  • Tactical Advantage(passive) - High velocity movement
  • Caltrops - Crowd control
  • Perfectionist(passive) - EHP

• Offenses
  • Elemental Arrow - AOE dmg
  • Rapid Fire - Single target dmg
  • Caltrops - 10% Crit Chance
  • Companion - 38% wep dmg

• Resources
  • Preparation - Discipline fill
  • Companion - Hatred regen
  • Vengeance(passive) - Hatred increase and discipline and hatred fill (health globes)

• As for running in a pack... ever since i crossed paragon 70, I get really nervous playing solo in inferno. I wouldn't run in a public game higher than mp4, but in a private group I've run mp7 (with a different skill-set).
    Reply Quote
    Nice gear guys, I wondered what some DPS would be like in hardcore. I set up for staying alive and now find it hard to add damage while keeping resistance.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Well you gotta remember, that since day 1 it's been like this. But it was better balanced because of some key factors:

Monster health, monster damage(this forced other classes that can't get through zones untouched, to gear up even more defensively), the potency of gear/weapons(when 1.0.4 hit the legends especially are very disproportionately overpowered to the content and are still uninteresting[imo]), and how much gear was in circulation in general.

And lastly, some important skills getting nerfed. This part can vary WILDLY on how things could've been playing out today.

DH'ers that ran around only using like 1 attack or something, had to have 3x the damage rating on paper. Back when a Barb had to run like 8k damage, a DH comparatively could've had like 24k. The gap widens.

What's important, is how much % weapon damage you can output in a given scenario.

Barbs output the most with specific builds, most notably with Run Like the Wind + Into the Fray on tick DPS.

If a Monk can do 800% weapon damage from a bell, they still have to get close to the monster. A DH can deal that much weapon damage before the Monk even gets to the monster, it would just depend on the attack and might be costly on the Hatred.

Imagine what it would be like, if all the Monk or Barb was doing, was just using 1 attack. Think about it.

You have to be an opportunist damage dealer. There are situations where DHs can burst damage more than any other class, but it's not just handed to you like it is for the other 4 classes.
    Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 7/18/2013 12:46 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    07/18/2013 11:29 AMPosted by Down
    Nice gear guys, I wondered what some DPS would be like in hardcore. I set up for staying alive and now find it hard to add damage while keeping resistance.

I have no problem farming MP3 with group, and I run with 140k dps and 800k EHP. About 600 AR, 4k armour, with 45% dodge. That all cost me about 200m so definitely doable. I've actually made more on this character than I've spent on him as he is able to 1 shot in MP1 for quick runs. Honestly I ran 600k EHP for the longest time and was still tanky enough.
    With leorics and hellfire in, I am about 700k EHP and 100k DPS, still more than enough for MP1.
    I also have an ALT setup for max EHP which runs about 1.3m EHP at 65k DPS. Calamity/SS.
    Edited by Sol#1136 on 7/18/2013 6:19 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]