Diablo® III

Undervalued gear pieces for low budgets

I hear it all the time- newer players being daunted by higher-end gear prices and asking "how the hell am I supposed to afford any of this stuff"

The answer- you're not. The way you gear and the pieces to use at lower budgets is quite different from the way things work at higher ones. And because everyone out there are seeking the same perfectly rolled high-end legendary/set pieces, the commonly used ones are suffering from inflation at a high rate. On the flip side, the pieces that tend to be passed over are plummeting in value, and can be almost just as effective if not more so than their pricey counterparts.

Here's a short list of such pieces:

Blackthorne's surcoat/blackthorne's jousting mail - This combination is just stellar in the bang for buck department. Overall, it ends up being competitive with IK chest+rare pants at a small fraction of the cost. A very underused combo that's safe to use at practically any gear level. Death and I used it with great success even in a 1B gearset. Chest should have 70 str/200 vit/+200 armor preferably, pants at least 50 AR with either 150+ str, or 150+ vit, or +200 armor. Even if you can afford a good IK chest, BT can still be a compelling option for the sake of freeing up more of your budget to spend on the pieces that really boost damage output, your weapon(s) and jewelry.

Immortal king's stride - These boots are practically being given away on the GAH until you start seeking very well rolled ones. The movement speed comes standard, and they contribute to IK set bonuses, making them much more competitive with ice climbers than they appear. A sum of 250-300 strength+vit is preferable, and very inexpensive.

Rare gloves - Its possible to get practically any combination of affixes in the 7 figure range or lower these days, thanks to IK irons and crafting driving their value down dramatically. If you don't see what you're looking for, be patient, it'll likely pop up within a few days.

Echoing fury with lifesteal - When balancing crit damage and lifesteal across both of your weapons, lifesteal will usually only be on one of them. The former is pricey on EF's, the latter, not at all, and enables you to make your other weapon as damage-oriented as possible.

Immortal king's triumph - I hesitated a little bit to put this on here, as mempos are very inexpensive in their own right, but the crit chance and melee reduction that this helm offers makes it a very good and often overlooked option. 50+ AR is the random property to look for. Fitting in IAS in addition to other damage affixes is much easier to do on jewelry and gloves than it used to be, and if done properly, can produce a better result than a non-crit mempo.
Reply Quote
IK helm too op.
Reply Quote
I would add also AR lacunis: I was pricing over the weekend because I needed to go Lacunis over my nice crafted Bracers for the AS....so I went with AR Lacunis 9AS/6CC. Yes they aren't the dps lacunis but perfect to attain those utility stats and decent AR. I got mine for 200m which might not be cheap for other budgeted barbs but if you go 8AS and 5CC they will be really really cheap with good AR.

Same goes for AR Innas. got my pair over the weekend for 138m. Same idea about getting the AS and CC bonus utility.

IK chest are also pretty cheap nowadays....decent balanced stats are going as low as 150m. Paid 139m for current ones about a week ago.

These options are not generally the best but def a choice to consider. maybe silverfire can clearify a bit more on the AR lacunis/Inna's options...
Reply Quote
If I am not mistaken you can get a pair of AR Lacunis (60~ar 4cc) for like 300k or something lol. Unless prices changed within the last month.
Reply Quote
I would add also AR lacunis: I was pricing over the weekend because I needed to go Lacunis over my nice crafted Bracers for the AS....so I went with AR Lacunis 9AS/6CC. Yes they aren't the dps lacunis but perfect to attain those utility stats and decent AR. I got mine for 200m which might not be cheap for other budgeted barbs but if you go 8AS and 5CC they will be really really cheap with good AR.

Same goes for AR Innas. got my pair over the weekend for 138m. Same idea about getting the AS and CC bonus utility.

IK chest are also pretty cheap nowadays....decent balanced stats are going as low as 150m. Paid 139m for current ones about a week ago.

These options are not generally the best but def a choice to consider. maybe silverfire can clearify a bit more on the AR lacunis/Inna's options...

Your definition of "cheap" isn't quite what I'm targeting here :) The pieces I'm talking about are <10m or even <1m.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 7/22/2013 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Your definition of "cheap" isn't quite what I'm targeting here :) The pieces I'm talking about are <10m or even <1m.

i had a feeling that might be the case :)
Reply Quote
And AR inna's are actually usually a bad option. There are just very niche cases like yours where they somewhat make sense, but I've harped on about to you several times already, you'd be way better off getting the AR in your gloves, then you could get nearly 200 vit in your inna's at nearly the same price, and have a much stronger character overall.

AR lacs are pretty good for low budgets, and yes, they can be had for under 1m. Once you go past 150m you'll usually want a mainstat on them. E.g. my 78 vit/74 AR/8IAS/5.5CC lacs were ~275m. If the vit were strength they'd be a bit higher.

But these are precisely the types of pieces that I'd persuade new players not to try to buy.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 7/22/2013 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Silverfire is this the beginnings of a low budget gearing guide? :)
Reply Quote
Not quite, but I'm going to make another post either here or elsewhere with some more guidelines.

I don't want to write a guide like that. There are just too many situations to take into account. Lots of players like hating on particular pieces of gear (we all know who they are), but the truth is there are a lot of options depending on your luck and what you're going for.

As you know all too well...poor Shaman tried so hard to make a dual wield setup for you work, but your gear was just begging for practically nothing other than an IAS Skorn. My list is to advise people to look at options that they won't see in higher-end players' profiles.

It's best to, as I've said before, use your head and pick the options that work best for you. I'd rather not spoonfeed what to get and what not to get in every slot.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 09:59 AMPosted by silverfire
, but I've harped on about to you several times already, you'd be way better off getting the AR in your gloves

I priced decent AR Ik gloves over the weekend and they are pretty expensive. If i rememver right a pair like mine but say <40 AR start to price at minimum +400m...at minimum. prices really shoot up. I'm really going for a sweet crafted glove so I will def loose the IK AR bonus eventually. So i'm thinking of the future when i do loose the Ik AR bonus...placing it on the Innas.

For the Lacunis i went 9AS/6CC to maximize permawarth stability. any mains stat on those utility numbers also shot up a lot. I just looked over my current stats and decided it was ok to leave them out.

If i roll an awesome AR glove then i'll probably switch to double vit innas. Only crafts will tell now i guess.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 10:06 AMPosted by silverfire
It's best to, as I've said before, use your head and pick the options that work best for you. I'd rather not spoonfeed what to get and what not to get in every slot.

Agreed. I've always tried to do this when making recommendations to help folks asking for it. I stopped responding to the posts on the Barb forum though because of trollish posts from others touting conventional "cookie cutter" wisdom. There were too many times I'd actually take the time to pull a person's d3rawr up and actually look at their stats and what would really optimize their current situation only to have someone else (I won't name names) go behind me and say something like "yo Zak is a noob, everyone knows XYZ is the best.

I've experimented with a lot of different gear (as I know you have) so I think that's why we think a little less conventional...
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 10:11 AMPosted by KingBenjamin
, but I've harped on about to you several times already, you'd be way better off getting the AR in your gloves

I priced decent AR Ik gloves over the weekend and they are pretty expensive. If i rememver right a pair like mine but say <40 AR start to price at minimum +400m...at minimum. prices really shoot up. I'm really going for a sweet crafted glove so I will def loose the IK AR bonus eventually. So i'm thinking of the future when i do loose the Ik AR bonus...placing it on the Innas.

For the Lacunis i went 9AS/6CC to maximize permawarth stability. any mains stat on those utility numbers also shot up a lot. I just looked over my current stats and decided it was ok to leave them out.

If i roll an awesome AR glove then i'll probably switch to double vit innas. Only crafts will tell now i guess.

True, you're going for max IAS and CC for utility, which is a very good reason that isn't easily reflected in paper stats. Something that can only be pulled off with both a big budget and experience. Its what I wanted in the past...but at this point its not gonna happen unless I hit the jackpot with ammy crafting, and probably glove crafting as well.

So it goes...
Reply Quote
1.- Helmet: Andariel Visage FTW: Crit and AS, u can get a very cheap unsocketed one with low fire dmg: < 100k.
2.- STR / 8IAS / 30 CRT DMG Ring: < 150k each
3.- STR/VIT CC/CD Ammy < 500k
4.- IK Chest with 250 STR+VIT < 500k
5.- IK Boots 200 STR+VIT: Now u have the AR bonus
6.- IKBelt 230 STR+VIT: < 250k
7.- Skorn 1300+ dmg 300+STR 150+ Crit: <500k
8.- Strongarm with AR < 250k
9.- Vileguars 180STR 50VIT: > 250k
10.- Pants rare 250 STR+VIT 60AR + 2 sockets >250k

You will hit at least:

100k DPS
35k HP
400 AR
5k armor

To gear a barb is SO cheap.
Reply Quote
Silverfire, I didn't see you mention The Grandfather. What is the reasoning for leaving such an undervalued piece of gear off the list?
Reply Quote

You will hit at least:

100k DPS
35k HP
400 AR
5k armor

And die to practically everything at any higher than MP3. This is not the type of gearing that I advise, and is a good segway into what I intended to post next.

I've lost count of the amount of people that have come to me for help, almost always with almost the same problem. They're trying to farm x in MP8+ and are having trouble staying alive. Then we go through their gear and find that getting the survivability stats that they need would require an overhaul. They can't fit the damage affixes in their rings that they need, because they rely on them for AR/vit. They often have to do this because their chests always lack the vitality that they need, often same with their pants, which are all too often low vit or no vit Inna's. Ditto to the ice climbers. Their weapon and passive options are often restricted because they use witching hour belts. Others hesitate to make the switch to a crit mempo because they rely on their helm for vitality.

I'm not going to explicitly say "don't use x piece of gear", but these are some general guidelines of what you should be looking for.

First of all, 24% MS is a must as far as I'm concerned. Your character will feel like a slug without it. Whatever frustration you might have from your paper stats going down from accommodating this won't match the frustration that you'd have from dropping from 24% to 12%. Its inefficient and not fun to play. This is why I suggest IK strides in my opening post.

Second, I strongly urge two slots of lifesteal on your gear. Typically one of your weapons and your belt. This will make your life much easier. It might be tempting to drop to one or less, but its not worth the headaches that you'll encounter as a result. Yes, there are exceptions at the higher-end, but if you're a beginner, stick to two on gear, and don't rely on bloodthirst as a passive is my recommendation. IAS Skorn is an exception to this. An LS Skorn should usually have 5% on it as a minimum.

Third, do not rely on both of your rings for attack speed breakpoints. One of them generally should have attack speed as an affix. The other should be able to be cleanly switched to a stone of jordan for essence farming and ubers. (And for the utility of cold or HotA reduction)

For the gear-

Look for 200 vitality on your chest as a minimum. This isn't an end-all and be-all. There are ways to make lower or even none (like in the case of tyrael's) work, but in most cases, you will run into trouble with less than 200 unless you really know what you're doing. If you can't afford IK's with 200, that's ok, just go for blackthornes, or even rares if you can find them.

Inna's pants- First of all, make sure you really have a need for these. Can you fit the attack speed and movement speed that you need elsewhere without sacrificing too much? If you're sure the answer is no, make sure you're getting one with at least 150 vitality. Once again, there are exceptions, but you will generally run into problems otherwise. Nine times out of ten, you will want to pair these up with ice climbers with around 300 sum total of strength and vit. If you can't afford this, you're likely going down the wrong route. In almost all cases, you will want either an IK belt or crafted bracers to go along with this combo to make up for the lost stats.

Ice climbers- As above, either around 300 sum total of strength+vit, or 200-250 with 10%+ movement speed. If you're going below this level of stats, IK strides start becoming more attractive.

Witching hour- This is a piece you have to be very careful with. The sheet DPS boost it gives is too tempting for most to pass up. I'm going to say that 99% of the time, it is not the right way to go. Its truly a belt for the 1%. It usually forces you to go for pricey IK iron gloves rather than rares, which often by itself makes it not worthwhile. The lack of lifesteal forces you to weaken your weapons, and/or use the bloodthirst passive which weakens your overall effectiveness. The only cases where I really feel like this belt makes sense is a) if you're using an LS skorn, or b) if you have a high-end S&B setup, or c) if your character sheet reads in the territory of 400k-500k with passives only. (ie, your gear is worth over 10b) If you answered no to any of these, re-evaluate where you could end up with an IK belt, stronger rare gloves, and a better weapon without lifesteal. If you're absolutely certain that this belt makes sense for you, I suggest to not get one with less than 90 vitality or 50 AR.

Andariel's visage - I can't come up with any situation where this helm actually makes sense. Proceed with caution with this one and be sure you really know what you're doing. If you're absolutely certain that you can't give up either the crit chance by going with a non-crit mempo, nor any attack speed by going with an IK helm, nor have the budget for an crit mempo, then you have a gearset where it might fit, and also one of a kind that I've never seen before. At first glance, it looks like an excellent utility and DPS piece. The real issue is the amount of survivability you give up with it, not even counting the fire damage. If you go with a socket, you're still giving up both a slot of AR and the equivalent of over 100 vitality. Price out how much adding those two stats would cost on your gear, and you'll see why its so cheap. The people using it usually like playing on the edge and have sufficiently high end gear elsewhere that they don't feel the hit too badly.
Edited by silverfire#1855 on 7/22/2013 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Soj.
Best ring vs. Elites and cheap if your only looking for the BVE%
They do start to get pricey with-hota and ww crit.
Edited by RagingKoala#1984 on 7/22/2013 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Witching Hour is the single most common mistake I see. It's a good belt if you do big damage, and can afford to get the ehp elsewhere. But on low and even mid range budgets it makes you a glass cannon. So many times my friends ask why they can't handle the tough content, and they're using a WH plus low overall vit and ar. Or they've been forced into bloodthirst, so they can't use brawler or berserker rage.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 10:15 AMPosted by silverfire
.but at this point its not gonna happen unless I hit the jackpot with ammy crafting, and probably glove crafting as well.

Keep rolling them ammys bro. Rain and few others have hit them. I remember Rain posted on one of my threads of how unlucky his crafts had been and a week later he busts out that gigantic ammy we all wish we could roll.

I'm gonna keep rolling gloves till i hit thee one. Then move on to a better ehp shoulders.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 10:42 AMPosted by tomcruise
I didn't see you mention The Grandfather

Those are not undervalued at all. Only the top of the top barbs can afford them.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 12:46 PMPosted by xxxkan
I didn't see you mention The Grandfather

Those are not undervalued at all. Only the top of the top barbs can afford them.

#1 GF on the US server
http://www.diabloprogress.com/item/37023245
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]