Diablo® III

Excuses people give when they lose

Some of the excuses I've heard:

-Line of sighting around pillars/walls is cheating
-Using echoing fury is cheating
-Using pvp gear is cheating (took a screenshot of that one - http://i.imgur.com/6KOfYVJ.jpg)
-Running is cheating (not running to town via the portal, but just moving from one side of the chapel to the other to recover health/cds and avoiding combat)
Edited by Kefka#1278 on 7/19/2013 8:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Let's add some more:

Playing WD is cheating.
Killing me without me killing you is cheating.
Using your skills that help your defense (e.g. Zombie Dogs) is cheating.
Reply Quote
07/19/2013 08:22 AMPosted by Kefka
-Running is cheating (not running to town via the portal, but just moving from one side of the chapel to the other to recover health/cds and avoiding combat)

I get this one a lot

Also add these to the list:
using storm armor and other auto aim skills are cheating
using real money to buy gold or gear is cheating
attacking someone while they are fighting someone else is cheating
Reply Quote
Using Potions are cheating. I love that one.
Or stacking mass regen (Gear based).
For wizards any life generator is going to be gear based.
We lose stats that way obviously so pretty crazy to !@#$% about that.
Reply Quote

Playing WD is cheating.

This one makes me laugh. I realize my class is OP, and that it gives me a big advantage over people who are otherwise equal in gear or skill. But if you are dying in one haunt and don't do a single point of damage to me over the course of several duels, that's not a balance issue. I remember a while back I got bored of WD and decided to gear my wizard for PVP. I had so many really bad players telling me that I only 1 shotted them because Wizard is OP.

I think "your class is OP" is D3's version of "aimbotter". It's just the go-to excuse whenever they need to justify their loss.
Reply Quote
I will add one. I am not the only one who have heard this (a number of my friends encountered this too):

"Using plague bats is cheating!"

In a WD vs WD match...
Reply Quote
As a DH, I heard that being invisible when doing the kill was cheating!
Reply Quote
I can back Kira up and say that I recently played a wd that was telling me that it is cheating/unfair to use plague bats in wd v wd.
Another good one is when other classes say wd is op and if they get their wd they will own you.
Reply Quote
I met this barb.

''!@#$ing DoTs cheater'' so I took off haunt. He still lost.

''%^-*ing poison damage noob'' so I took off Plague Bats for Vampire Bats. He still lost.

''rofl Hex noob'' so I took it off. He lost.

''lol fear noob'' so I replied he had a !@#$ing 18% Fear chance EF in his main-hand and I got feared 4x more than he did. He said ''%^-* dumbass'' and left the game.
Reply Quote
Most notorious excuse from barb : No running away! Just run normally.
Reply Quote
Interesting to see that many players seem not to have the slightest notion of strategy and tactics. They dont understand the importance of it in winning a duel. Any general would make the troops wait if they have no ammo or other resources, unless he does not care for his men.

Similarly, in PvP it is logical to avoid combat if you are waiting for a cooldown or recharge. Going back to town is clearly cowardice, but running around the brawling area is a tactical manouver.

Many seem to believe that PvP consists on clicking with the mouse on the other char and wait to see what happens!

Is it because they are 8 years old kids or just stupid?
Reply Quote
07/20/2013 07:35 PMPosted by DerfelCadarn
Many seem to believe that PvP consists on clicking with the mouse on the other char and wait to see what happens!

We did not have advanced game features in the original Diablo; such as reaction sustaining builds, like CM, or buffing features, like arcane dynamo, so the better pilot was the one that could spam the most attacks.

Unfortunately, a large portion of Diablo players did not grow along with the series, they cleave to these archaic styles of play because of habit and get angry when they do not work. I know this because I can be one of them. When I am under immense pressure and my anger gets the best of me, I revert back to my D1 habits and spam skills like my life depended on it.

However, I recognize this pathogenic pattern and I am trying my hardest to expand my style and grow along with the game and the other players in it. These efforts have been rewarded with success. I am winning more games than when I started to PvP now that I am trying to strategize more than spam. The only two valid excuses for losing, assuming ideal connection, is being under-geared or under-skilled.

To all the people I have sparred:
Thank you for beating the skill into me.
Edited by Weasel765#1161 on 7/20/2013 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/20/2013 09:33 PMPosted by Weasel765
The only two valid excuses for losing, assuming ideal connection, is being under-geared or under-skilled.

And add class mismatch to that. No uber-skilled/geared DH can beat a top WD due to the mechanics of Plague Bats and Zombie Dogs' force armor EHP. Also, the same goes for Wizard, I think they just have a disadvantage against most classes even with the best gear and skill. Now, if you are facing an opponent of the same class, I totally agree that gear, skill, and some luck are the deciding factors (luck in dodge and critical chance).
Reply Quote
@Iria,

Yeah, I agree with class mismatch with regards to WD. Against wizards, WDs are superior because wizards can not cc break fear and WDs have greater range. This range advantage disparity enables a WD to instantly kill a wizard if the wizard is close enough to get a few weak attacks in. On one hand, there are good players that roll WD and rule PvP because of skill and gear. On the other hand, there are mediocre players getting kills on good players, thinking they are in the upper echelon of PvP, just because of the WD's superiority.

However, I disagree that monks have an advantage over wizards. They are evenly matched if they are equally geared and the wizards are able to maintain distance. A lot of wizards try to fight monks like other classes, but they are not capable of eating any attacks from a monk without getting 1-shotted. The experienced, PVP wizard is able to keep an object between themselves and monks at all time and move off screen if there are no available objects to hide behind. Though effective, most will view this as cowardice tantamount to portal healing; even though this running away occurs within the chapel. There are monks that will get angry at wizards if they play this way, but if wizards do, it is a balanced match as long as no mistakes are made.

I do get this a lot:

07/19/2013 06:37 PMPosted by Kefka
I had so many really bad players telling me that I only 1 shotted them because Wizard is OP.

People calling me and the wizard class OP because I 1-shot them with a storm armor crit. This happens a lot since my cc is 47% and my CD is 430%, so my storm armor can crit for up to 70 k. These 1-shots are viewed as unskilled kills from a fleeing coward and people get angry and look for excuses to defend the honor of their e-peens. However, when this occurs it is not an issue of wizards being imba, but it is an issue of the loser being under-geared.
Edited by Weasel765#1161 on 7/21/2013 6:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Weasel

Monk definitely has an advantage over wizard in a 1v1 matchup. All of my fellow top wizards will surely agree. Wiz vs Monk used to be my favorite matchup but once you start facing truly good opponents that view will change very fast :P
Reply Quote
I also heard from some players that drinking a healing potion in PvP would be cheating. This is imo a D2 problem that has been solved in D3.

Taking healing potions in D3 PvP is fair for 3 reasons:

1. there are no "full rejuvenation potions" in D3 (you can't fill up your belt with full rejuvs and be almost immortal)

2. the healing potions are also not "full healing"

3. there is a cooldown associated to healing potions in D3 (non existent in D2)

All this makes taking a healing potion in the right moment a part of strategy.
Reply Quote
the ground is too solid.
Reply Quote
A WD on EU told me that using HotA vs WD is cheating :D
Reply Quote
Playing Wiz it is pretty damn hard not to rage against Horrify. You can't break fear but Mirror Images shows it is available so you just bound the keyboard trying to activate it. This sometimes happens with Hex also. Wiz's just don't have much of anything going for them. I hit 365k dps with my Wiz using a 2H with only 2 IAS pieces. The dmg output was just pathetic. Hex can be super annoying cause I can be Hexed mid teleport. So you can't get into melee range as a Wiz and can't get into long range cause of Haunt.

WD vs Wiz is a much more enjoyable match up without Horrify and Haunt.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]