Diablo® III

Very frequent stuttering during gameplay

94 Undead Death Knight
General computer information:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3630QM (2.40GHz)
GPU: Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M SLI
HDD: 1 TB, 5400 rpm
RAM: 12 GB

Now with my problem: I've played Diablo 3 before with a computer that is lower end than this laptop (Lenovo Y500 for the curious) and have had lower FPS (30-50) but no sutter. On this machine, I get roughly 90 fps in New Tristram, but when I use an ability, I drop to 60 and a stutter occurs. You can just imagine what this is like in an area with lots of monsters and this is with everything on the lowest settings and running at 1366x768 resolution. Everyone says this computer should be able to max this game out no problem, but I can't for the life of me figure out the stutter problem. Maxed out, I get 48-49 fps in town and in various areas, but I get drops to about 20 FPS whenever a fight starts or whenever I use an ability.

If I need to give more info, let me know. I really would like to get to the bottom of this. : (
Edited by KGBINC#1585 on 7/23/2013 2:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
one problem is the 650M is not a gaming card. it is a media card. its designed for the average user to have better video playback and things like that. the gaming class of cards are going to be the GTX series cards.

even so most "stuttering" comes from hard drive loading. on a worse case scenario it could come from bad RAM, failing HDD, or insufficent power.

something else you may check is the laptop temps. laptops often have cooling issues and temps can get pretty hot sometimes. if they get too hot then the devices (cpu, video card, etc.) will throttle their performance to cut down on heat.
Reply Quote
Diablo works in mysterious ways and while there's no universal fix for stuttering, here's a couple of things you could try, which helped others:
- Reduce the sound quality (sound channels to low) in the options (or even disable it for testing purposes);
- Disable real time antivirus softwares (Microsoft Security Essentials);
- Disable any power saving featuers;
- Lower the "HardwareClass" value in your D3Prefs.txt which I'm guessing is set to 6 for you (try 4, 2 and 1);
- Try changing your HDD's AAM (Automatic Acoustic Management) via HDTune or similar software AFTER reading up on what AAM does;
- Try disabling the windows pagefile completely;
- Try moving your Diablo 3 installation to a sufficient size USB flashdrvie (16 GB for full or 8 GB for partial, MPQ-only transfer).
Edited by bathrobehero#2424 on 7/23/2013 9:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]