Diablo® III

Why do we have a delay on Bola ?

Why do we have a delay on Bola skills when a Wizard can use meteor and archon with instantaneous results.

I find the delay on bola is unjust when compared to other classes, not to mention the low damage in comparison.

I find that when playing with other classes the DH bola damage dealt seems to be out of synch with their damage dealt and also makes it difficult to gauge when the game latency increases at times.

What is the DH community feeling on this matter? Or am I missing the point on the delay?
Reply Quote
Bola is a generator not a spender. It really shouldn't be compared to Meteor and archon of all things. If you really want to compare, use Wiz signature spells. Lightning, blades, magic missile, bolts...in that case bola certainly isn't under-powered. Idk about you, but 1 mil crits off a Hatred generator isn't low damage, I'd even say the only thing stopping bola from being OP is that delay.
Reply Quote
Meteor, the very skill, un-runed isn't instant.

It's because if you do compare it with others, it will seem very odd and "unjust.

But if you'll compare it with the other generators, that's the diversity on itself.

However, Hungering-Spray of Teeth somehow mimics Bola's AoE, Bola has 14 Yards radius while Hungering's SoT only have about 8 Yards or even less(not really sure).

So they are different on their own and that's why it also has a delay.

The delay can be used to both your advantage and disadvantage.

Using Imminent Doom gives you 2sec delay in which could be nice to be paired with RF-Bombardment since that too has a delay.

Skills have their uses.. once you used them so much, then you'll see their beauty.

Another thing I've seen is.. against RD Affixes.. they are both a savior and a hindrance.

Hit them while their RD Shield is down then before Bola explodes, it comes up = dead DH

Hit them while shield is up but goes down before Bola explodes = Happy DH.

There's the "synergy" with Shadow Power too(not too sure about it) but it can snapshot SP's lifesteal.

So if you tagged some enemies while SP is up and they explode after SP runs out, you'd still get the LS bonus(not sure).

There's a few reasons why it has a delay ;)

Though if they happen to remove the delay.. it can both good and bad since with Bola, you can "chain" cast some damage like.. Bola > hit with something > hit > hit > Bola Explodes in between.. it's pretty much an enhanced damage of sorts.
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 09:16 PMPosted by Saturn
I'd even say the only thing stopping bola from being OP is that delay.

That also.. if you spec towards it, getting 14% on Quiver, 12% on SoJ.. it will really do big booms XD

If they remove the delay on Bola.. I'd switch to that instantly and might not even use a Hatred Spender XD

EDIT: Sorry for the double post >_<

Btw, if you look at Spike and Bola.. they deal almost the same damage.. 216 on Imminent Doom and 275 on Spike Trap(un-runed) Both have Delay, but Bola has higher Range.

See where I'm getting at? ;) Bola can pretty much work like Spike Trap if runed with Imminent Doom.
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 7/23/2013 9:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 09:09 PMPosted by JohnnyDingo
Why do we have a delay on Bola skills when a Wizard can use meteor and archon with instantaneous results.

Meteor takes up 50% of our arcane power. So yeahhhhhh
Reply Quote

Meteor takes up 50% of our arcane power. So yeahhhhhh

Not to mention Bola gives Hatred to be used on something else XD

Meteor deals 260% Damage, eats 50 Arcane Power, deals damage a few mili-sec after(it's not instant).. 60% DoT for 3seconds

If you'll ask me, Bola is OP if compared to that ;)

Bola is 160% damage, Gives 3 Hatred, deals 110% on 14 yard radius.1 second delay.

EDIT: Both are unruned by the way.. Also.. you can't summon TONS of Meteors AFAIK.. while Bola can stack on enemies depending on APS.
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 7/23/2013 9:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 09:31 PMPosted by Chrizzle
If you'll ask me, Bola is OP if compared to that ;)

Yeah meteor isn't that powerful if one look carefully. But what meteor is good at is the initial hit and the DoT after that.

07/23/2013 09:31 PMPosted by Chrizzle
EDIT: Both are unruned by the way.. Also.. you can't summon TONS of Meteors AFAIK.. while Bola can stack on enemies depending on APS.

Best I had was chain cast 6 molten impacts. But I heard meteor shower was awesome. Problem is brings lag and too random.
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 09:36 PMPosted by SwSw
Yeah meteor isn't that powerful if one look carefully. But what meteor is good at is the initial hit and the DoT after that.

The DoT is really nifty. Specially once it becomes runed with whatever rune you have.

07/23/2013 09:36 PMPosted by SwSw
Best I had was chain cast 6 molten impacts. But I heard meteor shower was awesome. Problem is brings lag and too random.

Yeah, I think Meteor Shower is awesome. One time I played at Public, this Wizard isn't using the common SNS build. It was awesome to see Blizzard + Meteor Combo :))
Reply Quote
Bola's delay is not a prevention of output or even an eDPS throttle, it may seem this way because we tend to over compensate and end up over saturating a target for an extra unneeded second, but 2 seconds is not really all that bad in mp5+ (as for 1 shot territory that's an over damage issue)

for PvP it gives a target a minor buffer to trigger a reaction heal or buff. a bit of a penalty on bola

the only justification for delay in arming time would be from a secondary effect such as a snare, which when you think of bola.... ahuh... yah, about that

other than that the delay could certainly be there just so that something could speed it up and gain lateral value; perhaps a new mod, or rune... i'm looking at you IAS%
Edited by zoid#1554 on 7/23/2013 9:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
DHs we got the best primaries in the game.

Bola with the delay, ID especially you can load on something before it dies and have it all explode prematurely.

Bola is a great finisher on the lowest health target, great overkill skill.
Reply Quote
would be nice to buff: the further away from the target the shorter the delay.

encourage ranged play rite? lol.
Reply Quote
View profile
DHs we got the best primaries in the game.

Bola with the delay, ID especially you can load on something before it dies and have it all explode prematurely.

Bola is a great finisher on the lowest health target, great overkill skill.

^ This

One trick I used to do was wrap bolas around multiple whites in a mob, then fire Multishot to kill them off. What happens is that the monsters with the bolas would die immediately, thereby forcing the bolas to explode prematurely. When done correctly, you can literally get a massive chain reaction going.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the insight guys.

Still don't like the delay, especially in MP10 when mobbed by fast attack demons and vortex monsters. Makes it hard to gauge between shooting and seeing the effect it has and more often than not the monsters move away from those targeted.

Guess that's the life of a DH :)
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 05:04 AMPosted by Tropicalypso
thereby forcing the bolas to explode prematurely.

Bola can explode prematurely?
Reply Quote
View profile
07/24/2013 05:14 AMPosted by OIVAVOI

Nyan explodes prematurely!
Reply Quote
^^ That's what she said.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/24/2013 05:14 AMPosted by OIVAVOI

Yes, if a monster dies before the bola goes off, the Bola will explode immediately.

Kinda neat if you make it work in your favor :0)

Nyan once exploded prematurely on Die... It wasn't pretty...
Reply Quote
Bola without a delay is called Arcane Orb
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 05:24 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
Nyan explodes prematurely!

that must be messy.. lay of the fappin XD
Reply Quote
lol
you really have no clue if you are comparing meteor with bola
compare bola with the other dh hatred regen skills and see how strong the bola is even with the 1 sec delay owns the other skills
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]