Diablo® III

Why do we have a delay on Bola ?

Errr....

HA > Bola
Reply Quote
View profile
Why doesn't my Evasive Fire penetrate...

tbh the delay on bola is awesome, you can load 6 bola into 1 mob and kill everything on screen after 2 seconds. You poor comparison tells us your lack of understanding of the skill and the lack of understanding to the skill you mentioned in the OP.

Archon Beam is 3 yards wide and 45 long and penetrates, the only comparable skill is Ball Lightning, which flies for 45 yards and deal and aoe to everything within 20 (or is it 24) yards. The Archon ground bashing attack is 8 yards + knockback, you can compare this to a monk skill.

Bola is 14 yards and has a delay of 1 second. Meteor is 12 yards and has a delay of 1.25 seconds ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/patch-notes/1-0-5 ). A better comparison to Meteor is Spike Trap as it is also a spender, with a 1.2 seconds delay and an aoe of 8 yards. Arcane Mine does 6 yards and has a 2 seconds delay as well. Even grenades has a delay as it must "land" before it can deal damage.

So what do you see along this line... explosive ability have delay but all have an aoe.

If you don't like the delay pick another skill. No one is stopping you but yourself.
Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 7/24/2013 10:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
it might of more sense when the game was released but since then the game has changed, and keeps on changing. I personally do not like bola delay, its not only annoying but it completely slows my run down. I've stopped using it long ago.

Either way you look at it, the delay in damage should be removed, its simply not needed and its not going to be so amazing it will change everything for the class. Its minor tweak which might make bola shot more fun, and usable again.
Reply Quote
View profile
it might of more sense when the game was released but since then the game has changed, and keeps on changing. I personally do not like bola delay, its not only annoying but it completely slows my run down. I've stopped using it long ago.

Either way you look at it, the delay in damage should be removed, its simply not needed and its not going to be so amazing it will change everything for the class. Its minor tweak which might make bola shot more fun, and usable again.

Cant agree with that.

You need to consider that other people are using Bola differently than you are.

What they should do is fix Acid Strike, and everyone will be happy. That's a Bola that doesn't have a delayed explosion, but currently it can't be stacked and doesn't have AoE explosion. It could just be tweaked to become that Bola you and OP are looking for.
Edited by ActionKungfu#1184 on 7/24/2013 12:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile

so what happen to
Covering Fire - 3 targets
Spray of Teeth - 6 yards aoe
Chain Gang - 4 targets

when you got a 14 yard bola without delays...

my runs are never slowed by bola but increase in speed as I can load a mob and move on without turning back knowing that my shots has a 50-100% crit and kill all of them in that aoe.
Reply Quote
Posted by OIVAVOI

thereby forcing the bolas to explode prematurely.

Bola can explode prematurely?

Yes, if a monster dies before the bola goes off, the Bola will explode immediately.

Kinda neat if you make it work in your favor :0)

Nyan once exploded prematurely on Die... It wasn't pretty...

6 hours ago

Another example which I'm sure you've seen is when you shoot something like a door or a barrel, the bola goes off immediately. Its the same concept, except with monsters.
Reply Quote

so what happen to
Chain Gang - 4 targets

my runs are never slowed by bola but increase in speed as I can load a mob and move on without turning back knowing that my shots has a 50-100% crit and kill all of them in that aoe.

increase that mp level, and you will end up standing there firing and waiting. You must understand much of the current spell designs just don't work that well anymore once mp levels were added into the game. the hunter falls short on everything he got. So unless you plan on farming lower levels, that works pretty well.

so what happens when you remove bola shot delay? it automatically becomes fun, and useful ability. Their is reason why many use hungering arrow still unless you want to be different you go with bola. the current design is poorly made for mp levels big time.
Reply Quote
View profile

so what happen to
Chain Gang - 4 targets

increase that mp level, and you will end up standing there firing and waiting. You must understand much of the current spell designs just don't work that well anymore once mp levels were added into the game. the hunter falls short on everything he got. So unless you plan on farming lower levels, that works pretty well.

so what happens when you remove bola shot delay? it automatically becomes fun, and useful ability. Their is reason why many use hungering arrow still unless you want to be different you go with bola. the current design is poorly made for mp levels big time.

Get more DPS then.

That doesn't work?

Get more DPS then.

Isn't that how majority of people are playing?

If not, then get more DPS then.

Increasing MP is the same as lowering your gear level. The game's AI doesn't even change.

You quoted Kirus, soon as his DHs meet the required DPS to do the same on an increased MP, then his strategy doesn't have to change, does it.

A player can say Ball Lightning blows past MP2.

Get more DPS then.
Reply Quote
View profile
I used to be an ardent Bola fan (and I still believe its a great hatred generator), but I made the switch to Chakram Razor Disc, and I haven't looked back since.

Instant Damage (hits hard too, 187%)
Pierces
Fast travel
AoE (will orbit the point of attack two times)

In fact, I have been meaning to get Dieoxide to try it out to see what he get's for critical hits.

I hover between 350k and 450k on trash, with hits as high as 650k on elites.
Reply Quote
View profile
I used to be an ardent Bola fan (and I still believe its a great hatred generator), but I made the switch to Chakram Razor Disc, and I haven't looked back since.

Pierces
Fast travel

In fact, I have been meaning to get Dieoxide to try it out to see what he get's for critical hits.

Razor Disc is all well and good, but soon as you increase the MP...

uh get more DPS then.
Reply Quote
View profile

Pierces
Fast travel

Razor Disc is all well and good, but soon as you increase the MP...

uh get more DPS then.

LOL... true

I'm at the point now where I actually feel comfortable solo'ing MP10, but I still choose MP8 due to the speed and ease of it.

Guess I need more DPS

;o)
Reply Quote
Posted by VocaloidNyan
Nyan explodes prematurely!

that must be messy.. lay of the fappin XD

+1

Dam .. ROFL !! I am sure he doesn't wear pants though..
Reply Quote
View profile
Posted by VocaloidNyan
Nyan explodes prematurely!

that must be messy.. lay of the fappin XD

+1

Interesting... So you possess intimate knowledge of Nyan's pants status?
Reply Quote

+1

Interesting... So you possess intimate knowledge of Nyan's pants status?

Nyan's wearing fart pants.. so.. it has hole in front.. but not in the back so the fart pants filters the fart.

@Krak
I've looked upon your DH and see that you're using SoT.. a skill somewhat the same of Bola in a sense that it will deal AoE(on a lower Radius though) on an INSTANT manner.

Now imagine Imminent Doom or even the un-runed Bola Shot's delay was removed, I doubt you'd still use SoT? I mean.. I'm 93458390468034890% sure that you won't even touch ANY other generator for that matter.

See where I'm getting it? If they make Bola instant damage, people won't even use ANY Hatred Generator(well maybe some like Spike or Sentry still).. but you get my point.

It's a BALANCING factor.

If they'll remove Bola's Delay, tweak down it's damage to a that of Entangling Shot or a bit lower than Hungering. See how that'll work. LOL

Pierces
Fast travel

See this very good example? If you gear for Chakram to have -10(will still take 1 Hatred per cast) Hatred Cost.. you'll pretty much use it as your normal attack.

It deals instant damage, Range, 187% Modifier and can AoE quite well.

Mind you, 6/30/-5 Chakram SOJ comes WAYYYY cheaper than RF, Hunering, EA or Bola.
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 7/24/2013 2:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
tbh you can play your hunter at any MP without a generator.

I was using the same build on profile in mp8 yesterday doing some testing with bomb-RF instead of Evasive Fire. Give white about 6-7 Ball Lightning and move on. My dps I think unbuff is 220k and full buff is 450k. Rain of Vengeance (RoV) goes everywhere, you can cast it with waller all around and still get that 28 yards aoe. Tested with the 5 Reinforcement of Shadow (Ros) runes and was even more disappointed by the skill set up.

rune1 can be blocked by waller
rune2 goes over but as a tiny aoe to whatever in 22 yards
rune3 only hit stuff in your face
rune4 dropped grenades can be blocked by waller
ruen5 target position can be blocked by waller

someone else please do the testing to double check.

you want some instead damage with the same aoe of a bola go for ball lightning if my response to everyone reading this.

07/24/2013 01:30 PMPosted by Krak

I was talking about mp5 and above. In MP10 I do 2 thing for a group, load 4-5 bola (ex) and 3-4 jagged spike and move on. You can also stand nearby for the fireworks as I usually do becasuse I like to pickup my loots.
Reply Quote
I've been using bola so long I don't even notice the delay anymore. I got no probs with it soloing mp8 - 10. Once that first one goes off you have a steady stream of explosions if you keep firing and the delay is negligible. SOT's AOE damage feels weak to me by comparison.
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 04:16 PMPosted by Saturn
SOT's AOE damage feels weak to me by comparison.
'

Well.. it's really weak in comparison.. it's 60% vs 100+%(depending on rune) haha >_<

The only good side of SoT's AoE is mostly due to it's WEAPON DAMAGE *element*. It will proc Cold SoJ > Cull for that matter.
Reply Quote
I use the Bola Thunder ball with fast aps to catch the Morlu Incenerators and Corrupted Angels, subjugators and armaddon at Act 4 MP 10 solo rather easily. I use it for I only play without using a follower, boar or sentry (aesthetic and fun preference). It works well on my solo MP 10 uber (also no follower, no boar, no senrty) on SK and Maghda, and Ghom and Rak.. Though I would need atleast a boar for SG and Kulle to distract SG at first. Otherwise I don't need a boar, sentry and follower for the sake of fun play on anything solo MP 10.

Fast Bola shots looks amazing, without the need of fully maximizing the build, but rather fun and aesthetics as priority. And without the need of standing still in one spot, but instead it urges one to be mobile and range. I really hate to tank like standing still, it's not fun and not a DH thing at all. Kiting is very cool and bola.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]