Diablo® III

Can I get an answer? I'm worried.

42 Pandaren Hunter
So I've been thinking about how this will turn out.
I really do not want a D2 open battle.net style game.

So blizz, are y'all at an agreement with PSN/XBL to stop hero editing on flash drives/USB.
People are going to dupe like crazy, every game will have someone op (the game will no longer be a challenge nor fun=waste of $, time, and existence) and will basically force me to regret ever buying this and forgetting I have it.

I have yet to try D3 as my pc cannot run it. I'm a vet D2 player and am looking so forward to the console release. I already pre ordered it fully.

As I said, major concern for me and fellow console players. Please, blizz, I beg you to answer clearly and include in FAQ sticky.
Reply Quote
Better cancel that pre-order.

ANY save game from a jail broken system can be edited. In saying that though, if it's jail broken, (as far as I know) you can't connect to PSN at least.

Not sure about Xbox 360 hardware jail breaking.
Reply Quote
It might not be that easy...Back Breaker they had a system on the Xbox 360 that could edit players beyond the 100 range, but they couldn't do it on the PS3 because the save files couldn't be hacked.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Blizzard will never release specifics on protection they are putting into the console game because that gives people wanting to hack it a head start.

No one knows how hard/easy it will be to edit the saved characters or if there will be any system in place to check if a character is 'legit' when it goes online.

We have to wait and see sorry. Trust me I to hope they do something. But you just have to understand why Blizz don't want to give out details.
Reply Quote
You do not need a flashed console to edit game saves. Game save editing is all done between the PC and the USB stick/drive.

I mod Xbox 360's and PS3's, I've edited game saves using Hex editing software - I have good knowledge of what goes on here.

Let me firstly say, I do want Diablo 3 for console and I really hope that it is cheat free, but the fact is if they let us save our games offline and then bring back online, we will have cheating, simple as that.

Most likely this is what is going to happen here: There will be a checksum on the gamesave which is a code generated from your gamesave, this code is then compared with the game when reinserting the USB stick back into the console, if the code is correct then you can continue playing, if the gamesave has been edited the checksum will change and thus the game will give an error.

Most games on Xbox 360 don't have much protection, if any, and the bigger and online titles usually have some form of checksum in the game-save. I have never encountered any higher level protection than this on an Xbox 360 save.

Heres the problem with checksums (I have seen them in multiple Xbox games, especially ones that go online, see Guardians of Middle Earth) people can write programs that regenerate and rewrite the checksum, so after editing the gamesave it is just a simple case of fixing the checksum and plugging it back in, hey presto, you have 999,999,999 gold on Diablo 3.

I can guarantee this is going to happen in day 1 to Diablo 3 if they let offline mix with online.

They could technically add more layers of protection to prevent cheating, but I'm sorry it is simply going to come down to time, if our offline game saves are allowed to go online, programmers WILL find their way around the wall. The only way to prevent cheating in D3 Console would be to make the online portion of the game, stay online. It is that simple. I don't understand why they are not doing this, when every other online Xbox 360 game does the same thing. (See Call of Duty, Gears of War, Max Payne 3, Halo etc.)

This is a stupid move from Blizzard to allow this to happen, to be honest it seems like they really don't care about the console version of Diablo 3 having integrity. Diablo 3 is a popular game, and if game saves are downloadable, you can bet your !@# there is going to be around 100 people atleast, including me, on day one trying to edit them.
Edited by Derity#2909 on 7/20/2013 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You do not need a flashed console to edit game saves. Game save editing is all done between the PC and the USB stick/drive.

I mod Xbox 360's and PS3's, I've edited game saves using Hex editing software - I have good knowledge of what goes on here.

Let me firstly say, I do want Diablo 3 for console and I really hope that it is cheat free, but the fact is if they let us save our games offline and then bring back online, we will have cheating, simple as that.

Most likely this is what is going to happen here: There will be a checksum on the gamesave which is a code generated from your gamesave, this code is then compared with the game when reinserting the USB stick back into the console, if the code is correct then you can continue playing, if the gamesave has been edited the checksum will change and thus the game will give an error.

Most games on Xbox 360 don't have much protection, if any, and the bigger and online titles usually have some form of checksum in the game-save. I have never encountered any higher level protection than this on an Xbox 360 save.

Heres the problem with checksums (I have seen them in multiple Xbox games, especially ones that go online, see Guardians of Middle Earth) people can write programs that regenerate and rewrite the checksum, so after editing the gamesave it is just a simple case of fixing the checksum and plugging it back in, hey presto, you have 999,999,999 gold on Diablo 3.

I can guarantee this is going to happen in day 1 to Diablo 3 if they let offline mix with online.

They could technically add more layers of protection to prevent cheating, but I'm sorry it is simply going to come down to time, if our offline game saves are allowed to go online, programmers WILL find their way around the wall. The only way to prevent cheating in D3 Console would be to make the online portion of the game, stay online. It is that simple. I don't understand why they are not doing this, when every other online Xbox 360 game does the same thing. (See Call of Duty, Gears of War, Max Payne 3, Halo etc.)

This is a stupid move from Blizzard to allow this to happen, to be honest it seems like they really don't care about the console version of Diablo 3 having integrity. Diablo 3 is a popular game, and if game saves are downloadable, you can bet your !@# there is going to be around 100 people atleast, including me, on day one trying to edit them.

Thanks for the informative response Derity. I have a question;

It is known that the console version will be saving player profiles to cloud as well as local HDD (given a player is logged online). Is it possible for the game to compare local saves to those cloud and detect edited data in that manner? Because if so it could provide a reliable solution to hacking on console, no?
Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 7/20/2013 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Hello bruteforce save data ^_^

I use it a fair bit for the !@#$s and giggles.
Reply Quote
Imagine if they went the route of Gearbox with Borderlands, allowing modded gear. It'd be a s'storm. Someone would make a save game editor in a month.
Reply Quote
Just letting you know, not trying to sugar coat anything here, it's been hacked... and it's brutal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]