Diablo® III

SoJ's - which skill will benefit the most?

So i spent a few hours playing around with spec again yesterday and came up with this combi spec that uses HA + bola + traps.

Now what I'm wondering is which would grant the greater benefit out of an SoJ between those 3 skills. I already have a trap SoJ, but due to my AS, would i gain more out of a HA or bola bonus?
Reply Quote
View profile
It depends on what you spam the most.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9308901329#1

I made this guide if it helps.

IMO there isn't really a best skill for SoJ, the best skill bonus is what ever skill you use the most.
Reply Quote
I'd go for Spike Trap.

Btw, why bola + HA ?
Reply Quote
I'd go for Spike Trap.

Btw, why bola + HA ?

Bola for the dmg with intermittent HA's to keep them slowed, and for +15% dmg from cull.

EDIT: and just to change it up from straight bola/trap for a bit
So i guess the biggest question is between trap and bola.
Edited by Fizzlesprig#1762 on 7/24/2013 4:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 04:49 PMPosted by Fizzlesprig
Bola for the dmg with intermittent HA's to keep them slowed, and for +15% dmg from cull.

Ever considered Entangling shot?

Used to run a Shock collar, Doom Bola, Cluster bear build once. Good damage though requires some mental dexterity.

^ because cold SOJs are expensive.
30% e-bonus and 10% bola bonus without cold is not expensive.
Edited by The47thSen#6728 on 7/25/2013 7:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Spike traps imo. They are the real heavy hitters.
Reply Quote
I have my doubts Nyan I have a cold spike trap SOJ but I haven't seen the cold dmg yet slowing the enemies. In fact I have 3 cold Soj's I'm selling. Not perfect rolls but it's cold.
Reply Quote
HA and Bola do not mix. It is better off with Bola ID + ST EB for hard hitting and add another hatred spender in EA Ball lighting for Disc and health proc.

Since you already have a nice Bola DML, I advise you to get a good Bola SOJ = + 24% Bola and elem dmg.
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 08:30 AMPosted by Woogmoog
I have my doubts Nyan I have a cold spike trap SOJ but I haven't seen the cold dmg yet slowing the enemies. In fact I have 3 cold Soj's I'm selling. Not perfect rolls but it's cold.

They with out a doubt slow people, I've done a lot of testing and many many have done the same. The slowing last for 1 second and then is gone, but CTW's bonus is applied too the initial hit. for example, you would need to hit the enemy with HA and then Bola would have to tag that enemy within 1 second for it to have the bonus damage applied, and then AoE won't have CTW applied unless the enemies are being slowed by another HA or something else. It's not the best combo imo

To see the cold damage, drop the traps, don't use any attacks, the enemies will turn blue from the cold damage. If they are killed by spike trap and are currently being slowed, when they die they will shatter into ice shards.

I agree with Cameo, A Bola SoJ would probably be best if you use it the most, pushing it to 25% more damage would be insane. (does any one know if the bonus damage gets applied to the AoE as well? or just the single target?)

BTW none of the skills you currently have equipped will proc the cold damage, it gets over ridden by the skills elemental damage, the skills have to say "deals weapon damage". Read the guide i posted earlier if you don't understand or just go to the section that lists the skills/runes that will proc the cold damage. You're currently wasting gold buying a cold SoJ considering none of your skills take advantage of it.
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 7/25/2013 9:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Tasty

Your guide on cold and soj was very nicely written and I already got Texastrager to include in his sticky. You can see the link there.

If you use Bola ID, +dmg will be AOE.
Edited by Cameo#6595 on 7/25/2013 9:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well I'm still testing the Soj's I have a cold Bola 6% and I have a lightning Bola 12%. I might have around 8 or 9 Soj's LOL but I never had time to test it right. So yes definetely I'll read more about it.
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 08:30 AMPosted by Woogmoog

I think only the Scatter rune benefits from cold, everything else has elemental damage that overrides the cold damage.

I submit exhibit A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvFMl7dNEt8
You can see that some of the snakes turn blue when the trap explodes.
Edited by The47thSen#6728 on 7/25/2013 9:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 09:31 AMPosted by The47thSen
only the Scatter rune benefits from cold

this.
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 09:39 AMPosted by hmk21
only the Scatter rune benefits from cold

this.

Not quite right, echoing and lightning rod don't trigger cold snaring effect, every other rune and unruned spike trap all trigger cold effect.
Reply Quote
like a mine, yes?
Reply Quote
Well I just brought up that because these days I was farming with a barb using whirlwind and I was surprised with the slowing effect caused on the monsters.
I never saw something like that coming out of my shots, I've seen monsters dying and exploding in shards but that was all.
Reply Quote
As mentioned, the problem is your skills all have their own elemental attacks that override the cold/snaring effect. Try either HA - Spray or Scatter, other runes work too but these are better for dense mobs IMO.

Or Multishot - anything besides Fire at will.

EA, being elemental, won't snare. Unless you're using Frost arrow, of course.
Echoing blast is poison damage so it too won't snare. As above, any rune besides EB and Lightning will snare. Scatter is probably more effective for the throngs of monsters.
Reply Quote
@Tasty

Your guide on cold and soj was very nicely written and I already got Texastrager to include in his sticky. You can see the link there.

If you use Bola ID, +dmg will be AOE.

Thank you for recommending it :) and that is awesome info! I'd definitely go with Bola then, that AoE bonus is insane >.<

07/25/2013 10:11 AMPosted by The47thSen
EA, being elemental, won't snare. Unless you're using Frost arrow, of course

wrong nether tentacles snares as well.

People please read the guide >.< I have listed and tested EVERY DH skill.
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 7/25/2013 10:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Woogmoog
Well I just brought up that because these days I was farming with a barb using whirlwind

A VERY large amount of the Barb skills are weapon damage, very few actually have elemental/physical damage applied to them. They benefit the most out of Cold Affixes.

Inversely, EVERY Wiz/WD skill is elemental, so they receive 0 bonus from the Cold Affix.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]