Diablo® III

SoJ's - which skill will benefit the most?

Ok so here is my question, why most of people go for Cold Soj's? if the "freeze" is only for one sec, actually for players that doesn't use CTW it wouldn't make difference if you are using a Soj with a different elemental dmg right?
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 10:27 AMPosted by Woogmoog
Ok so here is my question, why most of people go for Cold Soj's? if the "freeze" is only for one sec, actually for players that doesn't use CTW it wouldn't make difference if you are using a Soj with a different elemental dmg right?

Correct! If you don't intend on using CTW and could care less about the crowd control (its 65% speed reduction for 1 second), or your skills don't proc the cold damage. Then I would ignore cold SoJs and go for ANY element. All elements add the same amount of damage and the damage bonus is applied before the skill converts your damage to the element mentioned in the skill. So don't worry about getting a specific element because the tooltip says it converts to that type.

I'm going to expand my guide to detail SoJ's a little more. Its heavily focued towards the Cold Affix only and I want to add a few sections in regards to selecting a soj and the other elements.
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 7/25/2013 11:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
wrong nether tentacles snares as well.

People please read the guide >.< I have listed and tested EVERY DH skill.

Ooops. Sorry, was just going off memory there.

07/25/2013 10:51 AMPosted by TastySouP
I'm going to expand my guide to detail SoJ's a little more. Its heavily focued towards the Cold Affix only and I want to add a few sections in regards to selecting a soj and the other elements.

I would love to read that. I use Thunder Bola a lot and I often wonder whether the +lightning damage helps.

07/25/2013 10:27 AMPosted by Woogmoog

Because for a lot of DHs, even one second is the difference between life and death. If you manage to freeze even only a few of the frontline mobs, it's enough to delay the mobs behind from running you over.
Edited by The47thSen#6728 on 7/25/2013 10:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That's great information to know, so actually I can focus on getting a perfect Soj for my best skills but doesn't have to spend billions for a cold one. That's good.
Reply Quote
wrong nether tentacles snares as well.

People please read the guide >.< I have listed and tested EVERY DH skill.

Ooops. Sorry, was just going off memory there.

you're active, knowledgeable and help lots of people, I forgive yea!
(>^^)>
Reply Quote
The + elemental damage affix deals damage according to your weapon, not the abilities that you use. The element (or non-element) of the abilities' you use determine if a + cold damage affix will snare the target.

The a + lightning damage affix will add the same amount of damage that a + fire or a + holy or any other + elemental damage affix would to the thunder ball ability.

These + elemental damage affixes modify your weapon's damage, and only the non-elemental damage portions of the weapon is affected. So with manticore, only the non-elemental base damage of the manticore is modified by + elemental damage affixes-not the poison damage part of the manticore. Whereas Calamity has all of its damage modified as its all non-elemental.
Reply Quote
Cold SoJ on HA, ST and CA

Rest are pretty much useless.
Reply Quote
Ok so here is another question, nothing about SOJ. I've seen many Dh players using Zuni boots because of the poison dmg. Yesterday I happened to find a great Zuni boots with good dex vit and AR 73 and 7% poison dmg. My Nat boots are 283dex and I have bonus of 130dex from the set.
When I found the zuni boots I checked it and it would give me +11kdps dmg, but when I wore them actually my dps went down a little bit.
Ok, why does that happened? that +dps it was showing is only because of the poison dmg? and which one is better to be wearing since I'm a calamity player?
Reply Quote
Tooltips don't take into account the set bonus.
Reply Quote
Ok so here is another question, nothing about SOJ. I've seen many Dh players using Zuni boots because of the poison dmg. Yesterday I happened to find a great Zuni boots with good dex vit and AR 73 and 7% poison dmg. My Nat boots are 283dex and I have bonus of 130dex from the set.
When I found the zuni boots I checked it and it would give me +11kdps dmg, but when I wore them actually my dps went down a little bit.
Ok, why does that happened? that +dps it was showing is only because of the poison dmg? and which one is better to be wearing since I'm a calamity player?

I don't believe the tooltip comparison takes set bonuses into effect. The elemental damage affixes, I believe, are considered. While the + elemental damage affixes will more benefit a calamity user vs a weapon like manticore, if all we're talking about is damage go for the one that yields higher dps, especially if that damage is coming from a source like dexterity/elemental damage.
Reply Quote
Ok, I think I didn't explain right what I was trying to say.
My nat boots have 283 dex and they are the 3rd piece from the set so I get more 130dex bonus.
What I want to do is: when I place the cursor over the zuni it says +11k dps.
Wearing nat's I have 347k dps with my other ring, but when I changed to zuni boots I got like 340kdps so actually in theory I lost dps but got the elemental dmg, though I lost a good amount of dex that is good for dodge chance.
What is the best choice between these items? Go for elemental dmg or keep the Nat Boots?
Reply Quote
Use the Nat's boots. More DPS, more dodge, more armor, melee dmg reduction.
Reply Quote
Bottomline woogmoog, sim it! I prefer d3up.com, I know there are a number of other tools out there.

With my current gear, 1 point of dex will raise my dps by roughly 100. 1 point of a + elemental damage % affix will raise it by roughly 2265.

So 130 dex vs +7% elemental damage in only dps terms is:

13015 dps vs 15857 dps.

For damage purposes the Zuni's would be superior, but this assumes the dex on the zuni's is equal to your nat's. It also assumes you ONLY care about the dps and not the other stats.
Reply Quote
Not really I just wanted to know how is related the elemental dmg. Actually I wouldn't give up my nat boots because not only AR but they also have armor, so yes I totally care about other stats including I have a good amount of strenght and inteligence as well in all my gear I know strenght goes to armor and int goes to AR. So I was careful when I bought the pieces of my gear.

Anyways knowledge is never too much. But thx for the explanation.
Reply Quote
This is the best pair of Zuni boots I have ever seen:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DiEoxidE-1987/hero/11368208
Reply Quote
Not really I just wanted to know how is related the elemental dmg. Actually I wouldn't give up my nat boots because not only AR but they also have armor, so yes I totally care about other stats including I have a good amount of strenght and inteligence as well in all my gear I know strenght goes to armor and int goes to AR. So I was careful when I bought the pieces of my gear.

Anyways knowledge is never too much. But thx for the explanation.

I'm sorry, not entirely sure what you were disagreeing with or what you were trying to say with your first sentence.
Reply Quote

I'm sorry, not entirely sure what you were disagreeing with or what you were trying to say with your first sentence.

07/25/2013 06:42 PMPosted by Trivan
It also assumes you ONLY care about the dps and not the other stats.

So I was saying about this, Not really I don't care only about dps, but I do care about all stats, I just wanted to understand how the elemental dmg works compared to the regular stats. I think the game lacks of this info. It's kind of tricky because you have to figure it out by yourself.

Like if I was starting the game now totally noob and saw a pair of zuni's and compared to some regular nat's like 90 or 100 dex probably the difference on dps would be like +25k or something like that. So I would freak out to get one of those. While actually you have other benefits of having a good pair of boots from the set.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]