Diablo® III

Your favorite "Diablo clones"?

Diablo will always be the first and the last as far as I'm concerned, but in the years after Diablo 2 was released, several Diablo clones were released on both PC and consoles and helped tide me over until the release of Diablo 3, and here are a few of my favorites:

5. Torchlight - 2009 (PC, Mac, Xbox 360)

Really good game. Not as much variety in the locales as I would have liked, and the total lack of multiplayer was hard to swallow. But the pet system was amazing and the music superb.

4. Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes - 2003 (Xbox)

I hated it at first. No online multiplayer, and I felt that the ancestral weapon being OP endgame was counterintuitive for a loot hunting game. But really, Heroes was more hack & slash than a true loot fest. It had elements of loot hunting, but was more in the spirit of Gauntlet than Diablo. I still included it on this list because it is crazy fun to play with 3 other players (local). Most people never got to experience that.

3. Titan Quest: Immortal Throne - 2007 (PC)

Just absolutely amazing build diversity. Although I wasn't a fan of the multiplayer model or the Grecian setting, the build diversity alone is enough to put it among the best of the Diablo clones, at least in my opinion. This is actually the only game in this list that I still play to this day.

2. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 - 2003 (Playstation 2, Xbox)

Wow. As much as I loved the first game, this surpased it in every way but story (which doesn't matter at all to me). The gem system was amazing. I spent countless hours tinkering around and combining gems to turn out new equipment. The necromancer was amazing and I had a roommate at the time that played with me every step of the way. Swapping out and comparing equipment and working together - it may have been the best fun I've ever had with a Diablo clone, even if it did end all too soon.

1. Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest - 2004 (Playstation 2)

Favorite Diablo clone of all time. I must have beaten this game 50 times, imported my Wizard (Kimbol) to Return to Arms and beat it 50 more. I played this game to death, and the Snowblind engine was perfected in this game. The water effects in particular were breathtaking. Innoruuk was an amazing villain, and at one point actually pulled out a poor lad's soul and, him still screaming (as a soul), shot it with a bow into Oblivion! This game literally had everything (including online multiplayer!), and even though I was not and have never been a fan of EQ, this game will always hold a special place in my heart.

I wonder how many of you have played these games, in particularly D&D Heroes, BGDA2, and Champions of Norrath?

Does anyone have any games that they would like to add?
Edited by Darkul#1370 on 7/16/2013 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
own and beat # 1 #2

also own and beat the first dark alliance. great games. aside from those i played alot of Dragon Age 1 & 2
Reply Quote
My favorite Diablo clones are Diablo 2 and Diablo 3
Reply Quote
Champions of Norrath was definitely one of the best games ever made. The sequel was great too, Return to Arms, and I loved the new skills they added for the different classes and the new classes were fun to play as well.

Titan Quest was just awesome. Anyone who enjoyed the first 2 Diablo games as much as I did should check out the Titan Quest game and it's expansion. The skills setup was great and it was always gratifying to knock a satyr through the air. No classes, just a bunch of different skill sets and you get to pick 2 of them to create your own class. Awesome idea THQ.
Reply Quote
I have yet to play a truly good Diablo clone.

Torchlight got boring inside of 30 hours which made it worth the $5.00 price point but not a great game. TL2 got boring within 20 hours and wasn't even remotely worth the $10.00 I paid. TL2 was particularly disappointing because I loved Diablo 3 and all the reviews (professional and player) claimed TL2 was just as good if not far superior.

I've put about a dozen hours into Path of Exile but I hate the combat system in that game. Even if the systems are great it doesn't make up for what I spend 99% of my time doing.

I loved Borderlands and Borderlands 2 but I don't think many people class them as Diablo clones.
Reply Quote
Baldur's Gate series is based on D&D rules. Its not hack & slash. please don't confuse genres of games. Makes you look immature .

Except that I'm not talking about the "Baldur's Gate series", but the "Dark Alliance series", which is a console only offshoot of the "Baldur's Gate series", and only loosely based on "D&D rules". And it is very much "hack & slash", and if you don't believe it, google is your friend.

Please don't be so eager to correct people, it makes you seem arbitrary and weak minded.
Reply Quote
Baldur's Gate series is based on D&D rules. Its not hack & slash. please don't confuse genres of games. Makes you look immature .

Do you think you could breathe a little less please? There are people out there in this world that could use the oxygen a lot more than you could use it.

Cheers.
Reply Quote

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was completely an ARPG, not a straight RPG like the original Baldur's Gate. Open mouth, insert foot.

OP's list is spot on, I can't comment on Norrath having never played it but BG:DA and Titan Quest are still the best ARPG's I've played since D2.

I'd add the couple of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance that came out although they weren't as deep as any in that list, they were a lot of fun for ARPGs and solid games in their own right.
Reply Quote
- Reddit Diablo
View profile
I'm really looking forward to Grim Dawn (by the creators of Titan Quest)
Reply Quote

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was completely an ARPG, not a straight RPG like the original Baldur's Gate. Open mouth, insert foot.

OP's list is spot on, I can't comment on Norrath having never played it but BG:DA and Titan Quest are still the best ARPG's I've played since D2.

I'd add the couple of Marvel: Ultimate Alliance that came out although they weren't as deep as any in that list, they were a lot of fun for ARPGs and solid games in their own right.

The Marvel games. I have been wanting to get into those for some time - I had the misfortune of them coming out at a time when I was a PC exclusive gamer.

07/17/2013 01:02 PMPosted by Taffer
I'm really looking forward to Grim Dawn (by the creators of Titan Quest)

I will have to look into that.

Also, If anyone plays any handheld games, Heroes of Ruin is actually in the budget bin now days, and even though I seldom play anything but PC, I had fun with it.
Edited by Darkul#1370 on 7/18/2013 12:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
TL2. Strictly in terms of ARPG activities, (character building, item collecting, item modifying, gambling, etc.), it's probably the best "Diablo clone" I've played.
Reply Quote
Check out "Din's Curse". What makes it interesting, is each town is randomly generated, and you also have to defend the town from monster attacks.

So, you'd start a new town, that town would have a dungeon that is x levels deep. You'd have missions and the such, until you beat the dungeon. Next you'd start a new random town n dungeon.

Also, based off of what's going on the town could be faced with plagues, or reprisal attacks from the dungeon.

It's pretty cool, tons of replay value.
Reply Quote
Well, "Diablo Clone" isn't fitting any more, since "Diablo" is terrible, and every other Action Role Playing Game is better at being a "Diablo Clone" than "Diablo".

My favourite Action Role Playing Game is easily Torchlight II. Hands down the best one ever made. I still prefer the tone of Diablo II, but Torchlight II is fast, big and a hell of a lot of fun. The classes are also very diverse - and lend themselves to some pretty out-there builds.
Reply Quote
I have yet to play a truly good Diablo clone.

Torchlight got boring inside of 30 hours which made it worth the $5.00 price point but not a great game. TL2 got boring within 20 hours and wasn't even remotely worth the $10.00 I paid. TL2 was particularly disappointing because I loved Diablo 3 and all the reviews (professional and player) claimed TL2 was just as good if not far superior.

I've put about a dozen hours into Path of Exile but I hate the combat system in that game. Even if the systems are great it doesn't make up for what I spend 99% of my time doing.

I loved Borderlands and Borderlands 2 but I don't think many people class them as Diablo clones.

I doubt that the Borderlands game genre can ever be defined as a Diablo clone... But the LOOT HUNT. Yeah that franchise got it right. Not only that, I find (my opinion) BL2 far more exciting and just as much fluid gameplay than D2. D3 is left eating dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1nuMPYKWw&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y0PXDvaD_zQ

There's some apples and oranges there, but meh... it's fruit.
Reply Quote
Check out "Din's Curse". What makes it interesting, is each town is randomly generated, and you also have to defend the town from monster attacks.

So, you'd start a new town, that town would have a dungeon that is x levels deep. You'd have missions and the such, until you beat the dungeon. Next you'd start a new random town n dungeon.

Also, based off of what's going on the town could be faced with plagues, or reprisal attacks from the dungeon.

It's pretty cool, tons of replay value.

I bought Din's Curse. After seeing your post I went and searched it and it was on sale on steam for $4.99 so I picked it up. Really liking it so far.

Also picked up this Van Helsing game, and it's a lot like Diablo as well. Really good stuff.
Reply Quote
Torchlight 2 and Marvel Heroes are great clones.
Reply Quote
You missed Divine Divinity. In its own way, I think it's a better game than Diablo 1. Of course, Diablo 1 and 2 are vastly different, and when people say "Diablo", they almost always seem to mean 2, so there's that.
Reply Quote
07/23/2013 11:01 AMPosted by Zeriel
You missed Divine Divinity. In its own way, I think it's a better game than Diablo 1. Of course, Diablo 1 and 2 are vastly different, and when people say "Diablo", they almost always seem to mean 2, so there's that.
Actually, I still play Divine Divinty. While it's an excellent game, I didn't include it on my list because I consider it to be more of an Ultima clone than a Diablo clone.

On a separate note, I recently bought the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing and it's really a good game.
Reply Quote
BG: Dark Alliance would be my favorite.
Death Spank is a fun parody of the genre as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]