Diablo® III

Help: Belial snakes not possible for Demon Hunter

Just to clarifiy. I've been playing hardcore for a few months already, and was a top race runner in path of exile when active. I'm not having a hangup due to knowledge or micro. If you simply don't get lucky demon hunter drps the snakes that Belial casts on you cannot be detected or dodged without popping smokescreen. And if I pop smoke screen and belial appears he can kill me. The system is currently not fair in a setup for DH's.

I've been on the top of PoE races, had prestige in XBL but apparently I can't 'beat' belial. Something tells me this game isn't about player skill.
Reply Quote
This is the first time I've heard of someone complaining about the Belial Snakes...of any job class
Reply Quote
This game is stacked against ranged. You have no room to kite... and even if you could, they would go invisible. An "open" room in which you get swarmed from all direction is a range's nightmare.

Snakemen hit like a truck and you can't do anything about it.

Your best bid is using Rapid Fire + Shadow Power - Gloom. Go in a corner and abuse the snapshot life steal. That's the easy way out of this mess.

07/22/2013 03:37 PMPosted by sRank
This is the first time I've heard of someone complaining about the Belial Snakes...of any job class

Well, snakemen are a problem for range class. In Belial's case, you are in a "open" (but closed) room with monsters that hit like a truck. Snakemen are extremely cheap monsters.

The game is still full of anti-range gimmicks. Lacuni invulnerable jump for instance... Dune Thresher that becomes invulnerable if you try to kite them... etc.

They need to go. It doesn't add any challenge to range class. It makes us frustrated when playing the class as intended.
Edited by DoomBringer#1994 on 7/22/2013 3:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Use Vault. Use your awesome DH skills. Oh wait.

07/22/2013 03:37 PMPosted by sRank

Seems like most people just barrel through it without thinking, because high enough DPS + LS solves every problem the game presents you with. Just another disappointing facet of this game no one likes to think about.
Reply Quote
I can not remember these being much trouble when playing my DH's. Without being able to see your setup it is hard to offer ideas. Turrets, traps, vault, rapid fire with life steel and life on hit, no problem.
Reply Quote
Conclusion: only noobs play PoE
Reply Quote
I've tried using all the abilities mentioned but the snakes are invisible and cannot be hit.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 03:50 PMPosted by Cyberbeni
I placed top 30 in more than 1 race and it wasn't lucky at all. That game is more tough than this, requires better planning and you have to understand the gems to make it all work and that requires intelligence.
Reply Quote
Well, if you posted your D3 account so we could see your gear and your build rather than backhandedly advertising Path of Exile we might be able to give better advise.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 03:50 PMPosted by Love
I've tried using all the abilities mentioned but the snakes are invisible and cannot be hit.

When they appear, mostly it takes a while for them to go invisible again.

Personally, I like using Vault with Rattling Roll rune, combined with the Tactical Advantage passive.

Let them run into you. Once they start appearing, run away (or vault if cornered) and start firing whatever spell you wanna use.

One nice trick is, if you can run away without vault, run far enough away and vault IN on them using Rattling Roll. This will stun them and give you some time to reposition and kill them. If you also use Calltrops, make sure to drop one when moving away from them (after the stun), this will give you even more time to kill them.

Don't go berserker on Calltrops though, you need your discipline to vault out of danger.

Tactical Advantage gives you a good deal of additional movement speed for 2 seconds after you vault (in or out). That can be both a life safer and give you the opportunity to move away quickly and stay at range long enough to give them some serious damage.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 03:55 PMPosted by Love
I placed top 30 in more than 1 race and it wasn't lucky at all. That game is more tough than this, requires better planning and you have to understand the gems to make it all work and that requires intelligence.

So you couldn't finish PoE in HC either?
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 03:34 PMPosted by Love
And if I pop smoke screen and belial appears he can kill me.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bQgdYV!Xcf!caYbYc

Entangling Show + Caltrops will slow your enemies. And with the passive Cull the Weak you'll be able to deal more damage to the monsters.
If you're in a dangerous situation just tumble away. Also use caltrops to slow your opponents and recover life.
Caltrops + Echoing Blast is one of the best hatred spenders. Rapid Fire sucks for hardcore, since you can't move while channeling it.
Preparation + Back Up Plan to recover life.
Perfectionist will give you more life.
This builds relies a lot in the Discipline, so you'll need night stalker. So it would be good if you get the +20 discipline regeneration bonus.
Remember that you'll need a lot of EHP and % damage mitigation. In hardcore to survive you'll need at least 1400~1500 vitality, 600 AR and 5K armor. DPS with 100K unbuffed you should be ok for MP0.
Don't do more than that. If you don't have enough gold, it's suicide.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 03:55 PMPosted by Love

Not sure how PoE requires better planning allowing you to get to top 30 and yet you cannot figure out a plan to beat Belials snakes. Like you said its actually not that hard to do and yet you seem to fail at it.
Reply Quote
You need crowd control to fight the snakes. My demon hunter uses Caltrops with the rune for immobilization to take care of them, since the snakes teleport in a few feet before they can hit you. So the immobilization gives you appropriate response time.
Reply Quote
So... I'm confused here, is this a serious thread or an attempt to advertise PoE or bash Diablo 3 or just complain due to how obviously gear-dependent Diablo 3 is.

Would you give more information? Which difficulty and monster power level are you on when you fight Belial? Is this the first phase with only snakes or the second phase when Belial's avatar comes out to fight you, or the third phase? It sounds like you meant the second phase, right?

Next, what gear do you use when doing this? What are your hit points, effective hit points and/or dodge? Are you trying traps? I used a combination of offensive, defensive and trap abilities to beat Belial in inferno (forgot which MP, probably MP 0 or 1). My main problem was dodging the pools or meteors or whatever of poison during the third phase. That gets scary at the end when almost the whole screen is full of them!

My advice is to use skills and gear that allow you to kill everything very quickly before it has a chance to kill you or go invisible but have enough survivability to take at least one hit if not more from Belial or his poison meteor pool attacks.

I cannot really give better advice unless I know which difficult, MP level, phase (I'm assuming phase 2), and what type of Demon Hunter you play with what gear..

So, paint us a better picture please.

~Philoi.
Reply Quote
What Philoi said. We can't help you unless you give us more information.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 04:27 PMPosted by DuckOfDeath
Not sure how PoE requires better planning allowing you to get to top 30 and yet you cannot figure out a plan to beat Belials snakes. Like you said its actually not that hard to do and yet you seem to fail at it.

PoE: you have to study the game for 72 hours before you start playing because if you don't do it, you will !@#$ up even your first first choice you have, you can't even look at all the active skills inside the game
Diablo3: you get 1-2 skills every level, so you can try them out and you'll have some basic understanding of the game when you get to level 60

TL;DR: same amount of planning but D3 let's you play while you plan
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 04:42 PMPosted by Cyberbeni

PoE: you have to study the game for 72 hours before you start playing because if you don't do it, you will !@#$ up even your first first choice you have, you can't even look at all the active skills inside the game
Diablo3: you get 1-2 skills every level, so you can try them out and you'll have some basic understanding of the game when you get to level 60

TL;DR: same amount of planning but D3 let's you play while you plan

I actually know how PoE works. My point was how can he say PoE is harder when he can get to top 30 when he cant figure out something so simple in D3 that the top 100k+ or so have figured out how to do.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]