Diablo® III

[GUIDE]: HGH Build

Intro:

The HGH Build centers around simultaneous stacking of several damage multipliers to "juice up" your DPS well beyond your current gear level. It's like shooting up your monk with 'roids. His head will get bigger and his wang will get smaller, but he'll also pwn more face.

Cornerstone Skills:

Here are the cornerstone skills that make an "HGH Build":
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#.bX.Yk!.g!.cb.ca

Deadly Reach – Foresight
Second Primary Attack of Choice
Combination Strike
Blinding Flash – Faith in the Light
Breath of Heaven – Blazing Wrath
Mantra of Conviction – Overawe

Example Builds:

Here are examples of both a 2H version and DW version of HGH builds:
Two-Handedhttp://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bUXSYk!UgX!cZbZca
Dual Wieldhttp://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#baXSYk!UgX!cabcca

With a 2H weapon, I could see some players substituting in Wave of Light, possibly for Blinding Flash. For Dual Wielding, I prefer the proc-rate of FoT–Thunderclap over the Attack Speed bonus from WotHF–Blazing Fists, because I use the Cyclone rune for Sweeping Wind. If you don't use Cyclone, then Blazing Fists might be a better choice for you.

One of the hidden gems of this build is the epic situational usefulness of Deadly Reach. Even though FoT is my first choice when attacking, Deadly Reach gives me the ability to get in hits from a distance when I'm in a pinch (and don't want to teleport to the target), and it frequently saves my butt.

RAWR ROIDS:

+15% Damage: Breath of Heaven – Blazing Wrath
+16% Damage: Combination Strike (with two primary attacks)
+18% Damage: Deadly Reach – Foresight
+30% Damage: Blinding Flash – Faith in the Light*
+48% Damage: Mantra of Conviction – Overawe

(*affects weapon damage)

Using my monk ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Hades-1850/hero/5424043 ) as an example, here's how this all stacks up:

DPS – Unbuffed: 219.9k
DPS – Blazing Wrath: 252.9k
DPS – Blazing Wrath + Foresight: 292.4k
DPS – Blazing Wrath + Foresight + Combo Strike: 327.6k
DPS – Blazing Wrath + Foresight + Combo Strike + Overawe: 484.8k*
DPS – Blazing Wrath + Foresight + Combo Strike + Overawe + Faith in the Light: 881k*

*eDPS

As with any build, there are benefits and drawbacks. That said, this is my favorite monk build, and I wanted to share it with anyone who was not familiar. Please use the thread to discuss your likes and dislikes, as well as to share any effective variations of the build you may be using. Naturally, I will try to answer any questions posted.

Have an amazing day. =).
Edited by Hades#1850 on 7/23/2013 12:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For Justice!
Reply Quote
Nice guide,
Just a tiny quibble. the *eDPS at the end should really read *epDPS

If you go a ghom test, you will find that it's much more than that.
Reply Quote
Nice guide,
Just a tiny quibble. the *eDPS at the end should really read *epDPS

If you go a ghom test, you will find that it's much more than that.

I'm guessing that means "effective paper DPS"? The only other thing I can think of is "e-peen dps", but that doesn't seem right, lol.

(Also, tell me about the +damage to demons on your chest piece. Noticeable?)
Edited by Hades#1850 on 7/24/2013 4:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

DPS – Unbuffed: 219.9kDPS – Blazing Wrath: 252.9k
DPS – Blazing Wrath + Foresight + Combo Strike + Overawe + Faith in the Light: 881k*

You seem to be assuming that the bonus from Overawe is multiplicative with bonuses from other skills. It turns out to be additive.

You should also do some research on exactly how the bonus from Faith in the Light is calculated. You list it as a 30% buff, but you have it increasing DPS from 484K to 881K. That's about 80%, which may be true for you, but should make you wonder why that is exactly? And what would the actual increase be for someone else's Monk?

You may find it's better to work Blazing Fists into this build instead if you like really high paper numbers. Again, you'll have to discover exactly how that attack speed bonus of Blazing Fists is applied.
Edited by Demiwraith#1534 on 7/24/2013 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm guessing that means "effective paper DPS"? The only other thing I can think of is "e-peen dps", but that doesn't seem right, lol.

(Also, tell me about the +damage to demons on your chest piece. Noticeable?)

Hehe yea, it's meant to mean "effective paper DPS". lol @ "e-peen"! some people might think that way though haha.

As for my monk, it's probably not the most common build out there (equipment-wise). Reason being is that I'm just avoiding a Nat's set to be different, and show that you can still get high DPS. In saying that, I'm not a Nats hater either - it's pretty much BIS combo for straight up DPS.

So that leaves two items with 12%MS (inna's pants are pretty mandatory).. Lacunis or Tyrael's Might. I went with the former because it was much much cheaper than a CC lacunis a long time ago. Turns out that's ok because now BOA bracers > Lacunis.

Alright, so to answer you question. Yes it is noticeable. Most of A3 and A4 monsters are Demons, as are some of the bosses. A lower % of monsters are demons in A1 and A2.
A good example are those snake-like creatures in the Dalghur Oasis. They pop really quickly! The TM chest can roll up to +15% to demons and +4% to elites. It's very useful LS sustain on particular mobs.
Reply Quote

DPS – Unbuffed: 219.9kDPS – Blazing Wrath: 252.9k

You seem to be assuming that the bonus from Overawe is multiplicative with bonuses from other skills. It turns out to be additive.

You should also do some research on exactly how the bonus from Faith in the Light is calculated. You list it as a 30% buff, but you have it increasing DPS from 484K to 881K. That's about 80%, which may be true for you, but should make you wonder why that is exactly? And what would the actual increase be for someone else's Monk?

You may find it's better to work Blazing Fists into this build instead if you like really high paper numbers. Again, you'll have to discover exactly how that attack speed bonus of Blazing Fists is applied.

The tooltip for Faith in the Light reads: "...all of your attacks are empowered to deal 30% additional weapon damage as Holy." Basically (there's a little more to it), what this does is increase the damage on your weapon(s) by 30%, resulting in a much higher dps boost than you get from a "normal" 30% boost.

Ironically, I learned this from "research", as you put it. When you use Faith in the Light in-game, you will see that your sheet dps jumps significantly higher than it should with a normal 30% boost. I worked the math backwards, so to speak, to figure out why.

P.S. I also stated pretty clearly that the numbers were intended to be an example based on my monk. Next time you are unclear about someone's post, I think you'll be better off if you keep calm and kindly ask the person to help you understand the math. Maybe their math is wrong, but at least this way if you end up being the one who is wrong, you won't look so snotty.
Edited by Hades#1850 on 7/24/2013 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Regardless of all that defensiveness, you're still not calculating overawe correctly.

P.S. I also stated pretty clearly that the numbers were intended to be an example based on my monk. Next time you are unclear about someone's post, I think you'll be better off if you keep calm and kindly ask the person to help you understand the math. Maybe their math is wrong, but at least this way if you end up being the one who is wrong, you won't look so snotty.
Reply Quote
I've already explained FitL. In fact, the name of the thread is "Faith in the Light Explained," as I recall. See the sticky at the top of this forum for the link.
Reply Quote
The tooltip for Faith in the Light reads: "...all of your attacks are empowered to deal 30% additional weapon damage as Holy." Basically (there's a little more to it), what this does is increase the damage on your weapon(s) by 30%, resulting in a much higher dps boost than you get from a "normal" 30% boost.

There's significantly more to it than that. Actually less to it than that too since that's not what it does. I mean, because most people have +damage items on, increasing the damage on your weapons by 30% would actually result in a less than 30% increase, right? (Don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question. I know I'm right)

I was trying to push you towards discovering the wonderful math behind things in this game. From your number filled post I guessed that you'd enjoy discovering it. I didn't feel the need to spell it all out as there have been numerous posts about these things. Vrkhyz even points to one linked in the sticky thread, for example. I wasn't trying to come off snotty.

After that response from you, though, this is where I'd normally turn the whole thread into a troll. I want to apologize for not giving you and your thread the treatment it deserves. I'm really busy and I honestly just don't have the time tonight.

Hugs and kisses,
Demiwraith
Reply Quote
oh Hades, heres a hint: attack speed ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]