Diablo® III

Edited: The way I play Self Found.

Since it seems that I have had many links to this thread, I felt a revision of the first post was warranted, compiling some of the posts I had already made into this one.

First of all, this is a play style. Not a request for a self found mode. If you are looking to flame for that, look elsewhere, since I don't want a mode either.

This is not the end all, be all of playing self found. This is simply how I'm playing it, and the rules I force myself to abide by.

First off, I had 10 slots in use on the US realm. I was reluctant to delete a character, just to do a self found one, plus my stash was a bit full for the same reason. So I decided to change realms. Little did I realize just how much impact that has on my game. First off, the RMAH is disabled in any realm but your own. Not that it matters since I won't be using it, but it was cool to know. Its like playing in Hard Core.

I then let the game come up and it presented me at random a male witch doctor. So I went with it. It was like starting completely over with a brand new game account. Then I changed the game from MP0 to MP10, and begun to play. No gold, no items, and a newb of a character. But so far I have been having a blast, in my own way.

Rule number 1: I only use items that I pick up while in PVE areas. This means loot from monsters, chests, rocks, jars, anything in the map that can be opened or broken or killed. I pick up all items, even the crappy stuff, for the time being.

Rule number 2: I do not use the Auction House for anything. I do not buy, I do not sell. I don't even open it. I will even put up a screen shot of it, once the realm is back up if you all want.

Rule number 3: I do not buy any items for my character from in-game vendors. No gear, no potions, nothing. I do permit myself to sell items I can't salvage to the vendors for gold. The only exceptions to this rule, would be for items required for certain achievements, such as the Whimsy staff for example or archon armor plans, stuff that you can't get anywhere but the in-game vendors.

Rule number 4: No trading with any other players. Period. But playing with them is permitted. My concern is someone tossing something and I pick it up on accident. lol

Rule number 5: No trading with other characters in your realm/account. Gold you can't help, but if you are playing self found the way I do, gold isn't an issue anyway.

Rule number 6: Blacksmithing. I use the blacksmith, but I salvage every blue and yellow item I pick up or upgrade from, at least for the time being. Those become materials for crafting hopefully better pieces of gear later. Crafting is allowed on my game, as I have to find items to salvage in order to be able to craft in the first place as well as pick up pages, tomes, and gold.

Rule number 7: Jeweler. Same as blacksmithing. You can only work with what you pick up. So upgrading gems can be slow, especially at the beginning. Obviously it makes life interesting. But since I have literally been picking up everything, so its not so bad now.

Rule number 8: I simply have fun. Currently I play alone, as I have been tediously taking my time, hitting every nook and cranny, but here's the thing. With it being on MP10, I only have hit each area once. I might hit every cave, room, etc on each area I go through, but I do it only once. I try to play through a quest section, so I don't have to restart in the middle. And yeah, I ended up at level 35 when I killed Diablo on MP10. (That was tough even). And I have been killed a few times, but less than 10. Which I didn't think was that bad.

For those that are interested, here is a link to the Europe Realm profile with my WD SelfFound.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DTMAce-1687/hero/29627202

Game on.
Edited by DTMAce#1687 on 8/13/2013 7:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just saying, an easy way to set yourself up to play Self Found without having the mess and hassle of dealing with existing stuff that you already have. Just switch realms and wow, a clean slate. LOL
Reply Quote
Good luck, but playing only one char will be difficult, i got whole account SF, got some nice drops, even full set for WD (funny i dont play such class). :) all fun starts on inferno mp1.
Reply Quote
Yes, it will be challenging, but that's ok. This way at least I can concentrate on one character. Been doing too much of playing many different characters, both soft core and hard core lately. This way we can have more choices. Kinda like the idea of starting over anyway, its fun. I have all the achievements reset, everything, when starting up on a new realm the first time. :D
Reply Quote
Actually, how does one view a profile from different realms anyway? I have done a search, but nothing seems to come up.
Reply Quote
07/22/2013 02:15 PMPosted by DTMAce
Actually, how does one view a profile from different realms anyway? I have done a search, but nothing seems to come up.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DTMAce-1687/
Reply Quote
Yeah, I just found that out myself. My noob was showing again. LOL

But thanks! :D
Edited by DTMAce#1687 on 7/22/2013 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey, managed to get up to level 11 already. This is a fun way to do the self found, if you use a clean realm. No temptation, and you can play it your way.
Reply Quote
Bingo. And have fun. It's amazing what you can do just fiddling around with stuff that drops.

I have a couple of kids there too. One SC and 2 HC little guys.
Reply Quote
Damn Wanderbird, you have some well developed characters on the US servers... LOL

Nice work and congrats on the HC toon so far! Impressive. I can see I have a while to go yet. Need any more game friends, let me know. I get on nearly every night.
Reply Quote
I'm slowly getting there. Got past A1 last night. Been playing MP10 the whole way too though. Doing full clears, every nook and cranny, but only once through an area right now.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DTMAce-1687/hero/29627202

Now for A2. lol
Reply Quote
I just made a HC character to do the self-found thing with the added challenge of never dying. Switching realms is a good idea though :)

What I am curious of, does crafting still count as self-found? I think so because I had to find the items to get the materials to make the crafted items...
Reply Quote
It is how I play it. Here are the self imposed rules I follow to play:

• Only items dropped during PVE runs can be used.
    Cannot buy gear from any in-game vendors.
    Cannot trade items with other players or other characters.
    Can only craft items, providing you are using materials that are either self found or self found then salvaged at the BS.
    Cannot use the AH at all for buying or selling.
    Can sell items only to the in-game vendors for gold.
    Cannot purchase dyes or health potions.
    Can purchase items that vendors sometimes sell, such as items to make Whimsy staff, or achievement related items, plans, etc.
  • Going to work on this one a while, then do a different self found that can only use blue or lower items. No yellow, no leg or set items. LOL Stuff like that too. Make it really hard that way.

Using a different realm does make a difference and helps you to not "cheat".
    Reply Quote
    Excellent post OP. Doing it the right way. good luck on the phat lootz drops :)
    Reply Quote
    Good luck and have fun. Please put a link to your character on your original post.

Now if you did have a separate mode of play, you could also play with others that you knew were guaranteed to also be Self-found.

You gave yourself some extra challenges and I respect that because I do the same with my Hardcore character "BueNC"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6490399005?page=24#480
    Edited by SirRight#1618 on 8/13/2013 3:44 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    08/13/2013 03:43 PMPosted by SirRight
    Now if you did have a separate mode of play, you could also play with others that you knew were guaranteed to also be Self-found.

Or you could just make friends if you don't like to play solo. Use skype, vent, teenspeak, or one of the dozens of free voice apps that lets you talk to other gamers. No separate mode needed and more fun too. Good gaming.
    Reply Quote
    "Cannot buy gear or health potions from in-game vendors"

One question-why? This is a completely stupid idea and you will have no chance to defeat the bosses later in the game when it becomes mandatory to buy health potions. I know because I am all about self found.
    Apart from that ludicrous idea, have fun with it, it's a real challenge!
    Reply Quote
    And it's the way the game should be played I think
    Reply Quote
    This is a completely stupid idea and you will have no chance to defeat the bosses later in the game when it becomes mandatory to buy health potions. I know because I am all about self found.

Pretty sure someone, somewhere, has beaten a boss without using a health potion :)
    Reply Quote
    "Cannot buy gear or health potions from in-game vendors"

One question-why? This is a completely stupid idea and you will have no chance to defeat the bosses later in the game when it becomes mandatory to buy health potions. I know because I am all about self found.
    Apart from that ludicrous idea, have fun with it, it's a real challenge!

Uh I am playing self found and I have yet to run out of health potions let alone felt the need to buy any.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]