Diablo® III

Confused about how to build out a RF beast!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ixoye-1147/hero/34101232

There's my gear, and I also have a Calamity with 1586 dps w/ 160 gem.

I'm new to DH so gearing it properly seems tedious as the DPS can skyrocket, but performance still suffer. I assume most is around APS? With the manticore I have it's pretty low APS, suggestions? Let me know what you guys think about the build, and how I can improve on it! Any help is very much appreciated.
Reply Quote
Btw, I have a SoJ RF %7 Ring, I just don't have it equipped. I can't afford/find a good RF DML.
Reply Quote
View profile
Breakpoints on RF are 1.67, 1.82 (bombardment only), 2.01 aps.

You have 1.21 aps manticore
You have 55% ias on gear.

Ias required with ur weapon to meet the breakpoints (in order) :

38%, 51% (bombardment only), 66% ias.

So your wasting 17% ias since your using writhing fire (wow lol).
Edited by VocaloidNyan#1582 on 7/24/2013 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Other than stating what I am wasting, which I noted I'm really new to DH, can you offer feedback on how I can improve upon my build/gear to to optimum for RF. Otherwise maybe point me in the direction of another build not based on RF.

I can safely assume I need to switch my Rune for RF to Bombardement?
Edited by ixoye#1147 on 7/24/2013 11:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 10:57 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
So your wasting 17% ias since your using writhing fire (wow lol).

not wasting it entirely, its only a waste if you aren't using any skills that are directly related to IAS

Nyan is correct that you are sitting within the 12 ticks per second range, which relates to a globe response of 12 hatred per second, regardless of the "wasted" ias. IAS won't increase your rapid fire damage until you hit the 2.01 breakpoint, which relates to 15 ticks per second and requires 67% IAS on your gear with a 1.21 ApS Manticore. The extra IAS helps you regen hatred faster when using SoT and allows you too shoot faster with your Sentries. So in terms of RF dmg, yea its a waste, in terms of your skills set, it is useful with the other skills.

Also, I wouldn't use Withering Fire, the intial 20 isn't that big of deal and Fire Support does so much more damage. Also Webshot is really underrated, if you want some more crowd control RF-WS is amazing.

If you're using punishment for infinite channel, go with what Nyan said, do not pass the 2.01-2.50 BP. Go with a max of 2.50 ApS.

Manticore:
1.21 * 106% IAS = 2.4926
1.221 * 104% IAS = 2.49084

Calamity:
1.76 * 1.42 = 2.4992
1.776 * 1.40 = 2.4864

Windforce:
1.54 * 1.62 = 2.4948
1.554 * 1.60 = 2.4864

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569329357#1
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 7/24/2013 11:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
In general, its hard to gear a manticore to 2.01 aps w/o having bad eHP/dps unless you have money.

To gain 11 ias for the 2.01 breakpoint may require ias on ring, higher ias quiver.
Or, you could get rid of the ias on ur gloves/ammy and get strictly cc/cd which lets you search for better stats w/o worrying about ias.

Getting 2.5 aps on manticore is impossible xD
Edited by VocaloidNyan#1582 on 7/24/2013 11:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So the short of the matter is:

1. Don't use withering fire lol...
2. For the gear I have I don't benefit much or at all from the extra 17% IAS
(So maybe replace a couple gear items that have IAS with items with CC/CHD and other nice benefited stats such as armor/resist/vit/dex ?
3. Consider using web shot
4. Consider utilizing my Calamity instead?
5. Maybe look for a 1.22 APS manticore instead of my 1.21?
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 12:22 PMPosted by ixoye
So the short of the matter is:

1. Don't use withering fire lol...
I wouldn't, its just a crutch IMO, you're a DH! Stand tall and proud, no crutches allowed.

2. For the gear I have I don't benefit much or at all from the extra 17% IAS
(So maybe replace a couple gear items that have IAS with items with CC/CHD and other nice benefited stats such as armor/resist/vit/dex ?
I think this is a good choice if you're keeping Manticore

3. Consider using web shot
All a matter of preference, you may not like it, Fire support is definitely the best alternative to Bombardment if you going for pure DPS, I get my AoE else where

4. Consider utilizing my Calamity instead?
Calamity is nice because you can hit higher BP's easily and it utilizes the Archery bonus quite well. Also the hatred regen on the weapon negates one Tick of Hatred cost which is quite useful imo

5. Maybe look for a 1.22 APS manticore instead of my 1.21?
I wouldn't be too concern about you manticores base damage, your best bet is to just maximize your gear's IAS around the best manticore you can get in terms of eDPS. The 2.01-2.50 BP receives the most benefit from punishment imo.

Check out some of the normal RF Guides, most focus around using Manticore, I should be able to help you out in regards to any sort of questions related to non-manticore builds
Edited by TastySouP#1157 on 7/24/2013 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 11:32 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
Getting 2.5 aps on manticore is impossible xD

Mempo 9
Ammy 9
Gloves 9
Tals Chest 9
Lacuni 9
Witching Hour 9
Ring 1 9
Ring 2 9
Inna's Pants 9
Legacy Zuni boots 6
Quiver 20
------------------------------
Total 107%

=1.21 * (1 + (107/100))
=1.21 * 2.07
= 2.504

Nyyyyann :)

(>^^)>
Reply Quote
View profile
Maybe is it :O
Reply Quote
@TastySouP

Thanks for really dumbing everything down for me lol...I really needed that. :) Very helpful information.

As for the 2.504 APS LOL ... I could maybe make that work with a few billion....
Reply Quote

Legacy Zuni boots 6

Asheara's boots can go to 7% IAS, but who uses those lol.
Reply Quote
Should I invest in looking to pickup a DML with RF + 6% or greater and match it with my 7% RF SoJ? I'm just not sure how much I stand to gain from doing that as opposed to just sticking to what I have (except for replacing some IAS with something can use more like CC/CHD etc etc) If it's a huge increase in real world performance I'm game in trying to farm some gold up to get a DML comparable to what I have already but with RF. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
Oh and BTW I got my 7% SoJ for like 40k gold LOL. STEAL!
Reply Quote
What about 73% AS? I stole some gear off my monk main to see what I could do. 2.09 is a good BP for Bombardment? According to Nyan 1.67 BP, 1.82 BP, then 2.01 BP. Yea... I went a little high...
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't understand how Withering Fire is a crutch :(
Reply Quote
Tasty could I hit you up in game for some pointers? Currently running a Calamity RF build.
Edited by bobjobber#1731 on 7/24/2013 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My first reply had a detailed guide about Rapid Fire's breakpoints, here it is again:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569329357#1

When using certain skills such as rapid fire, stacking IAS won't always yield more damage. Rapid fire will always shoot 6 arrows per breakpoint, and when in between a breakpoint you won't actually be doing anymore damage, because you aren't shooting more arrows. Inversely if you use a skill that is affected by IAS, you can push your ApS right up to the breakpoint and utilize the other skills at maximum efficiency for ApS and not cross the breakpoint. Each of the 6 arrows costs 1 hatred, so your ticks per second is the hatred cost per second. If you stack hatred regeneration, it negates the costs per second.

For example, I use Rapid Fire and Multishot. Rapid Fire has breakpoints and Multishot is directly affected by ApS. I don't use a generator so I need to be able to use Rapid Fire long enough too obtain enough discipline for constant use of Punishment. I do this by sitting within the:
04/13/2013 08:37 AMPosted by Nubtro
2.00001-2.50000 aps - 4 frames - 15.0 ticks per second

So if my ApS is between 2.01-2.50 it will always cost 15 Hatred per Second, but I have 11 hatred regen, so it costs me 4 H/sec to channel RF. Also this means that I can fire Multishot at different attack speeds because Multishot doesn't have breakpoints. So my goal is to hit 2.49 ApS, which will keep RF at 4 H/Sec and allow me to use Multishot at the fastest ApS before crossing the breakpoint. You could follow this same premise but with HA-SoT. I find you need ~70CC with rapid fire to maintain punishment in that BP range.
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 03:51 PMPosted by ActionKungfu
I don't understand how Withering Fire is a crutch :(

I just feel like the other skills teach you proper positioning and resource management and pays off in the end.

Personally, I'm to scared to play HC, it's a different world out there. I have huge respect for the HC and I know nothing about that game play. I could imagine that Withering Fire would be amazing in HC, because you don't get to respawn if you find out you didn't position yourself properly.
Reply Quote
Alright, I'm sitting at 2.69 AS, so I need to drop 11% to get to 2.4992. Swap my witching hour for the inna belt in my stash and find a DML with 15% IAS and RF which is slower than my current one and I will hit the BP.
My questions are a bit more build specific. With RF channeling you can't pop SP unless you stop RF, or you can but you won't get the LS from it. Which is one of the reasons I have been using SS instead of SP. My LoH is only 650 so SP is almost a must at MP7/8 which is what I am running especially with all the RD mobs that always seem to pop up. I am on the verge of just facetanking with Bola and Spike Trap with SP, SS, Prep & Bat. If I can use RF I would love to because it is way faster to mow down white mobs but I have to drop either SP or SS. I love SS because you can sit through orbs, ice, jail or any other CC. The only problem is that it burns my disc pool down so fast because of it's 1.5 time on those elite packs... with 6 shots at SS I have 9 seconds to burn them down which I can't do. With some kiting and stepping it can be done, but that defeats the purpose of facetanking. Thoughts?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]