Diablo® III

Confused about how to build out a RF beast!

07/24/2013 01:26 PMPosted by ixoye
Should I invest in looking to pickup a DML with RF + 6% or greater and match it with my 7% RF SoJ? I'm just not sure how much I stand to gain from doing that as opposed to just sticking to what I have (except for replacing some IAS with something can use more like CC/CHD etc etc) If it's a huge increase in real world performance I'm game in trying to farm some gold up to get a DML comparable to what I have already but with RF. Thoughts?

I use the SoJ for Cold Damage and the extra discipline. The cold Damage makes it so that Multishot now slows people and boost its damage from Cull the Weak. I would recommend trying to get around 65+CC and switching sharpshooter to night stalker. With 2.49aps/65+CC and Prep-punishment with night stalker you can channel RF infinitely.The setup is quite confined unfortunately but if you just want to use rapid fire i say mix it with an AoE generator or use a bombardment build

07/24/2013 03:41 PMPosted by ixoye
What about 73% AS? I stole some gear off my monk main to see what I could do. 2.09 is a good BP for Bombardment? According to Nyan 1.67 BP, 1.82 BP, then 2.01 BP. Yea... I went a little high...

Use the breakpoint guide Nubtro created. It's in the prior posts :)

Alright, I'm sitting at 2.69 AS, so I need to drop 11% to get to 2.4992. Swap my witching hour for the inna belt in my stash and find a DML with 15% IAS and RF which is slower than my current one and I will hit the BP.

I only recommend doing this if you're planning on using RF in combination with Prepartion-Punishment and Night Stalker. This allows you to use RF infinitely with high ApS weapons.

07/24/2013 05:07 PMPosted by bobjobber
With RF channeling you can't pop SP unless you stop RF, or you can but you won't get the LS from it.

If you pop shadow power before channeling RF you take a snapshot of it, this means after the 5 seconds expires you still have the life steal benefits until you stop using rapid fire. Snapshotting can also be done with Steady Aim, this means if you start using Rapid Fire with out any enemies withing 10 yards of you, you will always have the bonus. Even if enemies come within the 10 yard radius. If you start channeling rapid fire with any enemy within 10 yards, even if you kill that enemy and no monsters are within the 10 yard range, you still won't have the SA bonus.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796682710#1

I love SS because you can sit through orbs, ice, jail or any other CC.

I can't help you much there, but this can be easily over come by just moving out of the way for most of them, and if you get jailed just use rapid fire, you can't move any where when channeling anyways.

If I can use RF I would love to because it is way faster to mow down white mobs but I have to drop either SP or SS.

Why not drop spike trap for rapid fire? Bola does incredible AoE damage to begin with, you could use rapid fire for single targets/mowing down elites. I'd switch Bola to either Volatile Explosives or imminent doom

Overall i just wanted to advocate using Prep-Punishment with Night stalker, it works really well with Rapid Fire's single target skills and you just need to compliment it with some sort of AoE. Infinite Rapid Fire Channeling can be achieved with the combination of skills I listed prior and 2.49ApS/65+CC.
Reply Quote
Looks like I will be testing a lot of this tonight. Thanks for all the info, I know it's been said about million times on these forums but it's hard gathering it all in one place. Like the snapshotting idea, I guess I just have seen the gear swapping stuff and didn't realize it's laymen's potential.

I hate that I'm not using my DH as ranged now but once I get to where I need to be I can be like the rest of you and play them like they are meant to be ranged with fun and different builds/gear.
Reply Quote
Looks like I will be testing a lot of this tonight. Thanks for all the info, I know it's been said about million times on these forums but it's hard gathering it all in one place. Like the snapshotting idea, I guess I just have seen the gear swapping stuff and didn't realize it's laymen's potential.

I hate that I'm not using my DH as ranged now but once I get to where I need to be I can be like the rest of you and play them like they are meant to be ranged with fun and different builds/gear.

Not a problem! Best part about a DH is there really doesn't seem to be a "best" build. Experiment a lot. Check out the stickies at the top of the Forum, there's some gathered guides there. :)
Reply Quote
OP, my advice to you will somehow be different from what your read because remember you will not be stuck with RF for the rest of your DH life. DH is a great char because it has diversify build. RF was nothing before 1.08 patch and who know what will come next.

My take is don't bother so much on the breakpoints. The most important thing is to build a balance DH which I always believe. Breakpoints is just a bonus as a result of your great build. Don't go buying all the gears with 9% AS and overlook other stats. You don't need to get to the exact breakpoint. I have seen many DH build around some stats and easily overlook important things like Moving Speed and Pick up Radius.

Get what I mean?
Reply Quote
@Cameo SICK AMMY! Apparently the rolls are against me on this game... I've crafted over 150 ammys and none are worth crap.... Now that I think about it I've crafted a lot of shoulders and bracers that are crap too....
Reply Quote
Um... most of this discussion is above my reading ability, but focus on crit chance and crit damage. With rapid fire/bombardment (my current build), aps is way overrated and really detracts from the build. By focusing on crit dmg and crit chance, your crits will do massive damage AND generate discipline. It should be obvious that I'm saying use a manticore. If you have enough hatred regen (you need a lot and a bat too) then move toward the higher aps.

I'm at 1.82 and I don't ever really run out of hatred or disc and it's really a fun build. Wallers and missile dampening are a !@#$%, but otherwise, all good.

As for a good soj with rapid fire - it helps a lot, it really does. I'm using this crappy hellfire to get to para 100, but I have a soj waiting for when I get there. You notice the difference with the discipline bonus and elites tend to melt. Other things with bonus to rapid fire (like a maras or skull grasp) just are not as good as a really good amulet or ring - I know, I've looked.
Reply Quote
OP, my advice to you will somehow be different from what your read because remember you will not be stuck with RF for the rest of your DH life. DH is a great char because it has diversify build. RF was nothing before 1.08 patch and who know what will come next.

My take is don't bother so much on the breakpoints. The most important thing is to build a balance DH which I always believe. Breakpoints is just a bonus as a result of your great build. Don't go buying all the gears with 9% AS and overlook other stats. You don't need to get to the exact breakpoint. I have seen many DH build around some stats and easily overlook important things like Moving Speed and Pick up Radius.

Get what I mean?

Cameo is 100% right, RF is just the flavor of the month, but if you really like RF work on it.

I want to emphasize what Cameo said as well, I never really mentioned it, but BP's really aren't that important. They're just gravy, focus on raw Dmg and defensive balances. Once you have good CHD/AVG DMG/Dext then worry about BPs. I'm just really focused on BP's at the moment because its MY only easy damage gain atm and there's a lot to them.

Once I started writing a ton, I was hoping someone would chime in and say something along these lines. Thanks Cameo.
Reply Quote
07/24/2013 10:01 PMPosted by Rimripper
like a maras

Check out my mara's :) Its been very difficult to beat eDPS wise. I even crafted a Quadfecta ammy:
25 Avg dmg
212 dext
9 IAS
65 CHD
7.5 CC
11 reduce control impairing >.<
but the CHD of 65% was too low to offset the extra CC/100%CHD my Mara's has and it fell short on eDPS in comparison in the end.

The mara's are rare tho, I luckily got mine for 100 mil in patch 1.04, if my mara's rolled something other then extra gold, it would have been godly imo.
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 05:13 AMPosted by TastySouP
like a maras

Check out my mara's :) Its been very difficult to beat eDPS wise. I even crafted a Quadfecta ammy:
25 Avg dmg
212 dext
9 IAS
65 CHD
7.5 CC
but the CHD of 65% was too low to offset the extra CC/100%CHD my Mara's has and it fell short on eDPS in comparison in the end.

The mara's are rare tho, I luckily got mine for 100 mil in patch 1.04, if my mara's rolled something other then extra gold, it would have been godly imo.

Yes, ok, you have the one. Congrats. That's really nice. I've seen one other like it, but it was 2 bill and I could not justify it. Generally speaking, though, I think my statement still holds true - maras and skull with +rapid fire are generally going to perform worse than a good ammy or ring.
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 07:11 AMPosted by Rimripper
maras and skull with +rapid fire are generally going to perform worse than a good ammy or ring.

100% agree, you just never know when they might pop up >.< I didn't think I'd ever see one, but I was glad I checked that day.
Reply Quote
I'd like to share my thoughts on Rapid Fire.

Bombardment is probably the best AoE damage dealing skill bar none, but it is also awkward to use and not good for single target. Personally I prefer other skills for AoE damage and Rapid Fire for bursting down single targets. I just don't like Bombardment. I'd rather use Bola, or SoT, or Spike Traps for AoE.

Web Shot is awesome if you are undergeared as far as vitality, resists, armor. The 80% slow is pretty effective, and you can lay out a spread against multiple targets to keep them at bay. Having said that, Web Shot does less damage than all the other runes because of the slowing effect, but if it works with your playstyle and gear then it's great. One other aspect, if you are a Windforce user between the KB and 80% slow you don't get hit often except when mobbed.

For single target DPS Fire Support is the best. It's just the best rune for burning down single targets.

I also like High Velocity, it has a high pierce change which makes it a decent AoE skill with only slightly less single target damage versus Fire Support. If you like to play in areas where you really can line up mobs like keeps for example, then High Velocity is great.

You guys shouldn't dis Withering Fire. It has it's place in certain builds. I can think of three reasons why someone would prefer WF. First, they like to play a more mobile playstyle where they aren't still firing as often. Second, they're using a build with other hatred spenders and need to conserve as much hatred as possible. Third, they don't like the hatred loss from having to reinitiate the channel against certain affixes. Think about all the affixes that you have to move away from or interrupt your channeling. For example, your channeling is interrupted by vortex, knockback, nightmarish. Not only that, think about all the effects you may need to move out of or reposition because of. Chains, desecrate, frozen, arcane, jail, wall, etc, etc.

I've been using Withering Fire in my build because I typically lay out a sentry then lay out traps, follow up with spray of teeth, and lay more traps, but I occasionally encounter situations where I want to burn down a mob or two with Rapid Fire. Usually when I am in that situation I'm not sitting at full hatred, I might be sitting at 60-80 and the initial 20 from the other runes has a significant impact on the duration of my channel. Sure, there are times where I'm at full hatred, run into a yellow and want to burn it with RF and I'd be better off with FS or WS or another rune, but I like WF. It's a good rune. :P
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 05:13 AMPosted by TastySouP
like a maras

25 Avg dmg
212 dext
9 IAS
65 CHD
7.5 CC

Dude, that Mara's is sick.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]