Diablo® III

Console Version - Yay or Nay?

This requires a back story. Grab some Doritos and some Mountain Dew and pull up a chair and hear me out for a minute.

I played Diablo 2 like I was being paid for it. I played it virtually all day, every day, for about 5 years. I was playing D2 on a really sh#$%^! Compaq Presario PC and it actually ran great on it. After Diablo 2 became stale (and INFESTED with bots and scammers) I decided it was time to get a new computer. Luckily, shortly after this, I got a nice check from my grandmother passing away (R.I.P.) so I took almost $1000 and bought a brand new computer, complete with all the best bells and whistles that were available at the time, some nice software and a nice gaming keyboard/mouse. The main reason I spent this money on the PC was because Blizzard said they were working on Diablo 3 and I wanted to make sure my PC was going to run it like a champ. Low and behold, the game took yet another 5 or 6 years to actually release and by that time, my $1000 PC was way behind the times, in terms of what PC's are today. To sum it up, I bought a brand new PC to play D3 and since they took their sweet fu%$ing time releasing it, my computer was actually NOT spec'd once it finally did come out. Now granted, this is partially my own damn fault for getting the PC and I do not blame Blizzard entirely for this but you have to admit, I got !@#$ed over since they took so long to release the game.

Here's the other reason why I am asking about this. I pre-ordered the CE of this and picked it up the day it was released. I got home, installed it (took over an hour to install) and loaded it up. I quickly realized that I couldn't run it on my current pc hardware. As I spent my last $100 on the CE, I was not about to go pay more money to upgrade my pc to run it (AGAIN). Luckily, I managed to get a good deal on a decent video card and some very nice help from a PC expert friend of mine about how to overclock and all the benefits that brings. I also would like to play this with my PS3 friends, is another reason I want to get the console version.

I enjoy the game, I really do. It's fun and it's more-or-less a nostalgia thing for me because it reminds me of all the grinding and time I spent on Diablo 2. Was it worth waiting over 10 years for? Absolutely not, but hey, at least we FINALLY got Diablo 3. I really want to buy the console version (perks include the lack of AH and an offline mode) but I don't know if I can make peace with the fact that if I do buy the console version, it will be basically like I paid $160 for the game. Not to mention the other random amount for the video card I got just to run it in the LOW settings and the $1000 PC I bought 5 years ago.

So what do you all think? Should I spend yet another $60 to play this game or should I just keep playing it on PC since I already own it?
Reply Quote
If you can spend 1000+ to play D3, then the extra 60 is peanuts.
So yes, go for it!
Reply Quote
If you can spend 1000+ to play D3, then the extra 60 is peanuts.
So yes, go for it!

I only spent $1000 on this computer because I got a nice check from my grandmother. I also already spent $100 on CE Diablo 3 so that was my point for posting this thread :)
Reply Quote
This same type thing happened to me but instead of out of date mine got a virus. I would say if you can physical see yourself putting all the time you lost back into it and having fun go for it, if you cant see yourself redoing everything and getting upset I'd avoid and just save the 60 towards the better pc. I love diablo and have been a fan since I could use a keyboard so I buy everything I can for it. I went out and bought a ps3/ps4 and Xbox copy just to say I own the ce of the game and 3 less ba copies. :)

Hope to see you in sanctuary on ps3!!!!
Reply Quote
Well, here's my interpretation of the goods vs bads of the console version. We may get more info about the gameplay/mechanics of D3 console version before it's released, but here is everything that is confirmed so far. I'll list 10 good and 10 bad points for the console version.

Let's start with the good points:

1. No AH means you actually have to FIND the gear, not just buy it, adds a new dynamic to the gameplay. However, I do like the fact that the GAH eliminates trade scams.
2. Controller. I know all the die-hard PC users say 'CONTROLLAS BE DA DEVIL!" but come on, why wouldn't I want to play the game without having to keep one hand on the keyboard, and one on the mouse? It just seems more logical. I can reduce my chances of carpal tunnel.
3. I can finally get back to playing with all my PS3 friends. I used to play DC Universe Online (and COD for the longest time before that) but I grew bored of it and switched to PC games for awhile.
4. Since I listed all my PC flaws above, the PS3 version will have none of those graphical setbacks since it will be designed to run on the PS3 specs (rather than relying on everyone to have a super-fast pc.)
5. Offline mode. Need I say more? I might actually attempt a HC character finally since I won't be interrupted/killed by latency.
6. $10 off the pre-order (I know it's unfair to PC players but !@#$ already) and not to mention you get a few items for pre-order, just like you did on the CE version of the PC game.
7. VOICE CHAT (and this is the best feature, imo) because having to stop and type in the middle of a game sucks horribly. Also, have you ever used the on-screen PS3 keyboard? It's awful!
8. 4 players on ONE PS3 as compared to PC's single user style.
9. Nephalem Power Orbs which give small boosts to your stats for a short time.
10. If you save your characters to a thumb drive you can have a backup of them. This would be awesome for PS3 failures (I'm on my 3rd PS3 since the other 2 died for whatever reasons) so that's a great thing that you wouldn't lose your characters. Characters are stored on your PS3, not an online server. However, this makes it waaaaaaay too easy to cheat in hard core mode. "Oh $hit, I died. Welps, pop in the thumb-drive and we'll get back to it."

Ok, now let's list the bad points:

1. Everyone must move at the same time (remember TMNT on Nintendo and how bad that style of movement sucked?) but they thought of this and added in a teleport feature in case someone gets left behind. I understand a PS3 is not a PC and can't handle a 4-5 screen gap between players so I'm not TOO upset about this, I understand why it is the way it is.
2. If you are like me and already bought the PC version, that's another $60 for the console version (or $50 with the pre-order discount) and it sucks buying the same game twice. I had to do that a few times with Diablo 2 and other games because my game discs were damage and wouldn't read.
3. Loot is going back to Diablo 2's "first-come-first-serve" concept which is ok, that makes it more challenging and adds more value to items but I've grown accustom to the PC's "everyone gets loots but it's not all the same" concept. However, if you have 2 people playing on the your console, and 2 people on another console, the loot will split like PC version does.
4. Town portal use will take EVERYONE in your party back to town, not just you.
5. MP system is slightly different due to PS3 graphical limitations not allowing as much monster density but it will still be the same MP1-10 (though they have different names.)
6. Stash is not shared between all characters. There will be separate stashes for each hero you make.
7. If you are playing co-op, only the 1st user will get trophies (or achievements as we know them to be called on PC) so if you have a friend who doesn't have the game and plays co-op with you, they can't help you get your trophies.
8. No demo. Though this isn't a terrible thing, it would be nice to try it first like the PC version allows.
9. Targetting is completely different since you can't just point and click like the PC version.
10. Not sure if you can purchase a digital copy on the Playstation store, no information about this yet.
Reply Quote
*Also (though this will put good points at 11) they added in an evade mechanic which I would assume would allow us to manually block/dodge attacks.
Reply Quote
07/25/2013 06:41 PMPosted by SilvixXivlis
I also would like to play this with my PS3 friends, is another reason I want to get the console version.

I'm not sure if you skipped a part or what, but this is the only reason you mention for wanting the console version at all. So, it depends on whether being able to play with those friends is worth $60.

You could also wait and try to catch it on sale, or get it used. I've owned an xbox for 4 or 5 years and I've only paid more than $45 for a game once or twice.

For me, it's not worth $60 but I will definitely pick it up under $40.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
07/26/2013 03:04 AMPosted by SilvixXivlis
1. Everyone must move at the same time (remember TMNT on Nintendo and how bad that style of movement sucked?) but they thought of this and added in a teleport feature in case someone gets left behind. I understand a PS3 is not a PC and can't handle a 4-5 screen gap between players so I'm not TOO upset about this, I understand why it is the way it is.

This is only the case for local coop games, so online games aren't restricted like this. The game also has a few subtle features to help reduce this problem like, idle coop characters automatically following the active ones. If you're in a local coop game and someone in your party isn't actively controlling their character, you can "drag" them along by just running where you want.

3. Loot is going back to Diablo 2's "first-come-first-serve" concept which is ok, that makes it more challenging and adds more value to items but I've grown accustom to the PC's "everyone gets loots but it's not all the same" concept. However, if you have 2 people playing on the your console, and 2 people on another console, the loot will split like PC version does.

This probably goes without saying, but I want to clarify this point for anyone who may be curious. If you're playing on a console network (but just yourself on your machine) then all the loot on the screen is yours, just like the PC version.

This is also restricted to the local machine player(s). If you're playing in an online multiplayer game, but alone on the local console, then you just teleport yourself back to town.

5. MP system is slightly different due to PS3 graphical limitations not allowing as much monster density but it will still be the same MP1-10 (though they have different names.)

The monster density was adjusted specifically for the console, but the pace of the game is different too. I've talked to a lot of players who were concerned about this same issue, but after playing, they all said the density was just fine. Personally, I think it's because the fights are generally more engaging.
Edited by Grimiku on 7/31/2013 4:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Does your boss have a rule that you are suppose to answer every xbox and ps3 question for D3 and ignore 99% of PC related questions? I don't understand why its so hard to talk with blizzard about the game.

Lets take Riot Games League of Legends game for example.

Not every question i have asked has been answered by a Riot employee. But i can tell you i've had about 25-50% of the questions or comments ive made on the forums have a Riot employee post some kinda comment on my post or some one pointed me in the right direction.

I don't think i have had one blue post on any question or comment i have made except in the troubleshooting thread.

It's really sad the lack of communication people actually have with blizzard. Something that i believe needs worked on. I see so many 3rd party forums or 3rd party interviews going on but hardly any thing going on the actual Diablo 3 forums. Why is this?

This is only the case for local coop games, so online games aren't restricted like this. The game also has a few subtle features to help reduce this problem like, idle coop characters automatically following the active ones. If you're in a local coop game and someone in your party isn't actively controlling their character, you can "drag" them along by just running where you want.

This probably goes without saying, but I want to clarify this point for anyone who may be curious. If you're playing on a console network (but just yourself on your machine) then all the loot on the screen is yours, just like the PC version.

This is also restricted to the local machine player(s). If your playing in an online multiplayer game, but alone on the local console, then you just teleport yourself back to town.

The monster density was adjusted specifically for the console, but the pace of the game is different too. I've talked to a lot of players who were concerned about this same issue, but after playing, they all said the density was just fine. Personally, I think it's because the fights are more generally more engaging.
Edited by xASGxSlayerx#1654 on 7/29/2013 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
And silence
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
07/29/2013 08:55 PMPosted by xASGxSlayerx
And silence

Blizzard reply to posts that can be answered easily or they have an answer for.

There is no point them posting in every post when something has already been answered or a blizz post would simply cause more anger and thread detailing. Why reply to something just to cop abuse by players because you don't say what they want to hear? (Even as a green I learn this factor)

I've gone through your post history and I don't see anything that blizzard hasn't answered if you look around, read the dev interviews, read the front page etc.
Reply Quote
couldn't you just make the game split screen? with option for shared loot on screen?(for local play)
Edited by Mowze#1464 on 7/29/2013 9:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/29/2013 09:46 PMPosted by Mowze
couldn't you just make the game split screen?

A split screen format would simply not work with Diablo 3, there's just way too much information on-screen at any given time and the fixed top-down viewing angle places you too far from the action for it to be viable. It would look absolutely terrible and fonts would need to be huge.

And also keep in mind that in co-op games, 90% of the time the players are together in one group farming mobs. So that means in each 4 boxes the console would need to render all the same effects and models. It just makes sense for it to be a shared screen for local co-op.

It actually confuses me when people think otherwise. I mean seriously, take a look at your TV, now imagine it split into 4 boxes, now imagine each box focusing on a separate character. Unless your TV is gigantic you would be struggling to see any detail in your allocated view.

07/29/2013 09:46 PMPosted by Mowze
with option for shared loot on screen?(for local play)

In local play loot is already shared.
Edited by DamienJohn#1321 on 8/1/2013 1:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/29/2013 07:53 PMPosted by Grimiku

This is also restricted to the local machine player(s). If your playing in an online multiplayer game, but alone on the local console, then you just teleport yourself back to town.

The monster density was adjusted specifically for the console, but the pace of the game is different too. I've talked to a lot of players who were concerned about this same issue, but after playing, they all said the density was just fine. Personally, I think it's because the fights are more generally more engaging.

you're*
Reply Quote

wait.. the awesomeness that is ps3... is not that awesome?

will stick to PC version... since i already OWN IT lol
Reply Quote
-.-
Reply Quote
not worth the money
Reply Quote
Nay!

I won't buy any new console.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]