Diablo® III

RF-fire support + ballistics

does any knowledgeable DH know for certain if this combination works? Searching the forums provides mixed answers. I can do around 3.5 mil dps, so I would presume that's high enough damage to notice an increase in damage from the passive. However, my tests on ghom and other bosses with and without the passive yield the same time either way. thanks
Reply Quote
Only the rockets would benefit from ballistics. I'm not sure whether the rockets are additive or multiplicative but compared to the damage output of the actual rapid fire arrows, ballistics probably isn't adding much.
Edited by TheArbiter#1806 on 7/25/2013 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
IMO, Ballistic is another passive that needs some love from Dev team. it surely increase your dps a bit, but not enough to be alternative for others. Probably you can mix it up with Sentry turret, but well...
Reply Quote
IMO, Ballistic should be a passive that 'adds' rockets to your attacks, instead of just buffing the damage.

Steady Aim is much more beneficial to Sentry - Spitfire than Ballistic can be.

If my hunger arrows shoots some rockets from my back/quiver, it will be awesome, even if randomly.
Reply Quote
The problem I have with Ballistics right now is that you basically have to outfit every single attack in your arsenal with something that has rockets in it.

Fire Support
Shooting Star
Spitfire
Arsenal
Rocket Storm

Use as many of these as you can. Every attack you use has to have a rocket in it. Too bad we don't have a rocket generator.

Justice is Served
Tinkerer(+ Grenadier)
Evasive Fire

Rocketeer.
Reply Quote
Fire Support - 145% fire dmg rockets x 2 rockets per second
Shooting Star - 175% fire dmg rockets per target (Up to 3 rockets)
Spitfire - 30% fire dmg rocket
Arsenal - 60% fire dmg rocket x 3 rockets
Rocket Storm - 60% fire dmg rocket per second

50% more damage per rocket from Ballistic

Fire Support - 217.5% fire dmg rockets x 2 rockets per second
Shooting Star - 262.5% fire dmg rockets per target (Up to 3 rockets)
Spitfire - 45% fire dmg rocket
Arsenal - 90% fire dmg rocket x 3 rockets
Rocket Storm - 90% fire dmg rocket per second

IMO, only Arsenal, rocket storm and fire support benefit from ballastic, spitfire as a bonus. Shooting star boast the highest damage gains but even with the density buff, majority of the time only one rocket appear, and rest of time always hit jars.

The benefit ballistic gives is damage boost, but thinking that even a build that is solely maximize on rockets don't gain much compared to steady aim, cull the weak or archery, it is more a dead weight. Using this passive skill is probably a gimmick or for the sake of theme.

PS: Arsenal is good skill by itself though. The arrows kills trash quickly and the rockets will all home into champions/elites.
Reply Quote
I just created a fun Ballistics build a couple of minutes ago and tested it to see what I could come up with:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bcjgRS!hX!YbcaYY

You use specific skills depending on the monster type and formation.

Nightbane is to be continuous throughout battle.

vs. large formation of monsters, you use Arsenal and inbetween Arsenal shots you fire off Justice against the monsters closest to you, while stutterstepping. Between Nightbane and Justice, you can Arsenal repeatedly till everything is dead.

vs. scattered monsters around the area, pick them off with Fire Support

vs. the front line of monsters, use Fire Support and pepper the area

vs. larger high health targets, Mortal Enemy into Fire Support

vs. elites depends on affixes, Mortal Enemy closest monster to you and Fire Support. If the monsters are too fast, tag closest one with Mortal Enemy and sutterstep back and go into Rocket Storm. If you become completely surrounded Mortal Enemy any target and Rocket Storm out.

Remember always to Nightbane before Fire Support or Rocket Storm for the life steal, and continue to Nightbane throughout for the Hatred regen.

If you're bad at stutterstepping, use a slower weapon to channel longer and use Rocket Storm to reposition.

Ballistics sucks anyways, but this build was pretty fun. Whatever MP you have enough damage and defense for. If you outgear the MP, Arsenal is enough to wipe trash, and Rocket Storm is enough for scattered trash. If you're undergeared heavy reliance on Fire Support keep monsters in a straight line and fire RF offscreen as your first order of business.

With slower weapon you can go:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#bcjghS!hX!YbccZY

And keep Shadow Glide up to move through the content fast.
Reply Quote

The benefit ballistic gives is damage boost, but thinking that even a build that is solely maximize on rockets don't gain much compared to steady aim, cull the weak or archery, it is more a dead weight. Using this passive skill is probably a gimmick or for the sake of theme.

Unfortunately.

But damn does it look cool...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]