Diablo® III

Diablo 3 needs "power-up" quests like Diablo 2 did

With only 4 acts in Diablo 3 it seems like the only thing there is to do is the usual farming and grinding for gold and paragon level XP. The problem is once you kill Diablo on Inferno you're pretty much done with the story completely.

There really needs to be quests again that permanently make your character better. After killing all the final bosses on Diablo 2 you still had to go back and do optional quests. The Den of Evil quest gave you a free skill point to spend, Act 2 had another optional quest that also gave you a free skill point. Then in Act 3 if you found the jade figurine Alkor gave you a potion that permanently increased HP. But with Diablo 3 the optional quests really just grant you some experience and an achievement so they really are just optional.

Diablo 3 would have more longevity if Act I normal had an optional quest that granted you +1 Strength (depending on class) permanently and the same optional quest on Inferno granted you +4 Strength permanently. And just to add more difficulty, make it so you would require a minimum monster power to be eligible to do a power-up quest like I just mentioned. Normal difficulty power-up quests would require no monster power. Then Nightmare would require at least 2 monster power to do a power-up quest, finally Inferno power-up quests would require you to be at least MP 6.

I would expect there to be something like this in the expansion, but it would be nice to have a patch with a new power-up quest for every act. More players would come back to Diablo 3 IMO since it would feel like a mini-expansion just came out.
Edited by CiniCraft#1363 on 7/26/2013 12:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The story line and quest line in D3 is terrible.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
07/26/2013 12:06 PMPosted by CiniCraft
Diablo 3 would have more longevity if Act I normal had an optional quest that granted you +1 Strength (depending on class) permanently and the same optional quest on Inferno granted you +4 Strength permanently.

Thank you for sharing Diablo III feedback, and your ideas on side quests. I think the heart of what you're mentioning (based your feedback, and others) is that Diablo III could use more things to do once you've completed Inferno difficulty. We're working on adding some variety for players who have completed Inferno difficulty, but we've also heard players mention that the Hell difficulty feels redundant. We're looking at ways to adjust what it takes to get to Inferno as a result. Hopefully, the sum total of those changes means we'll be adding interesting variety, and longevity to the end game, while keeping the path along the way fun.

Here is a reply from Wyatt to Flux, when asked about the possibility of removing the Hell difficulty, so that you have some context and insight.

Wyatt Cheng: A related question to that is, 1-30 the first time through normal is interesting, maybe the first time because of the story. maybe the 2nd time through it’s a different class and you’re doing different skills. Maybe the pacing feels right. maybe it’s even interesting further down since the challenge holds up and your loot/reward acquisition rate stays high and feels right.

But then kind of like what you’re saying, I don’t know if it’s specifically NM and Hell that’s the issue. More that you really want to get to Inferno and you’ve got a long road ahead of you and it’s very predictable and very much the same. Another question for us to ask ourselves is, what makes the destination so much more interesting than the journey? Can we make the journey appealing as well? If not, then maybe we should just move the destination closer.
Reply Quote
in short, there needs to be something that worth doing and it's gear independent at the same time when one has completed everything in this game. And that very thing that we need should be an infinite-content type of event.
Reply Quote
@Grimiku: The topic of redundancy about NM and Hell difficulty has a simple cause. At level 43 a player can gear with "Reduced Level Requirement 17" gear and can easily have 20k+ damage at level 43. The reduced level requirement modifier has made Hell obsolete. This modifier is cheap and can been gotten on AH items for very little gold.
Reply Quote
07/26/2013 04:24 PMPosted by SirCoconuts
@Grimiku: The topic of redundancy about NM and Hell difficulty has a simple cause. At level 43 a player can gear with "Reduced Level Requirement 17" gear and can easily have 20k+ damage at level 43. The reduced level requirement modifier has made Hell obsolete. This modifier is cheap and can been gotten on AH items for very little gold.

Nope. Leveling is still frustrating at this range even with those weapons. I played through Hell and was still 59 after I beat diablo. It's the only diffculty where I have this issue and need to backtrack.

I can surprisingly still die because my defense is crap even with good dps. It's just not fun doing it at all.
Reply Quote

Nope. Leveling is still frustrating at this range even with those weapons. I played through Hell and was still 59 after I beat diablo. It's the only diffculty where I have this issue and need to backtrack.

I can surprisingly still die because my defense is crap even with good dps. It's just not fun doing it at all.

Defense in NM and Hell have nothing to do with surviving (base defense on level 60 gear is plenty at this point)... Get a Minus level requirement weapon with a socket to get LOH or I have a level 48 axe that has 2.8% life steal and +650 LOH and a socket with 800dps. If you are doing this and dying then you are doing something very wrong.
Edited by SirCoconuts#1388 on 7/26/2013 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Not to mention the fact that with these items you should be leveling on MP10 and hit lvl 60 WAY earlier. Mid act 2 hell an easy time to hit 60 if you run MP10 from level 1 on.
Edited by SirCoconuts#1388 on 7/26/2013 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
adding quests like this would be cool but i dont see how it really adds to the longevity of the game...
Reply Quote
I think that hell needs to be removed personally. We really need to consider the fact that at the end of the day a single character needs to finish the campaign 4 times to complete inferno.

That is fine for one or two characters but it gets VERY old after that. I personally want alternative avenues to level my characters. I am a predominately softcore player. I have been trying to break into Hardcore and just can't get motivated to do content i've literally been through 20 times at least.
Reply Quote
More main stat=more dodge for monk/DH=more spike damage when you don't dodge and undodgeable things hurt you more
Reply Quote
Yes, the normal, NM, Hell, Inferno seemed like an "it wasn't broken so don't fix it" part of D2. The 3 difficulties worked well, why fix it with a 4th?
Reply Quote
Wyatt Cheng: A related question to that is, 1-30 the first time through normal is interesting, maybe the first time because of the story. maybe the 2nd time through it’s a different class and you’re doing different skills. Maybe the pacing feels right. maybe it’s even interesting further down since the challenge holds up and your loot/reward acquisition rate stays high and feels right.

But then kind of like what you’re saying, I don’t know if it’s specifically NM and Hell that’s the issue. More that you really want to get to Inferno and you’ve got a long road ahead of you and it’s very predictable and very much the same. Another question for us to ask ourselves is, what makes the destination so much more interesting than the journey? Can we make the journey appealing as well? If not, then maybe we should just move the destination closer.

Personally I love how a 4th "Inferno" difficulty was added, it's something I've wanted for Diablo II.

But with Diablo II every difficulty looked unique in their own ways. I remember that when you fought Diablo on Hell difficulty, Diablo's appearance was a dark black color while on normal Diablo looked normal. You would also find very different enemies outside the town in Act V when you changed the difficulty, and I'm pretty sure it was like that for almost every area in the game.

In Diablo III you can't really tell the differences between the difficulties visually. I was a bit upset when I first got onto nightmare and found that all the bosses and mobs are exactly the same except that their hitpoints and damage were greater than before. It would definitely feel more fresh if every difficulty in Diablo 3 looked different and maybe even played a bit differently like in Diablo 2.
Edited by CiniCraft#1363 on 7/26/2013 5:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but for me personally, the greatest thing about D2 was how intricately tied together the story and the progression of character power was. I mean, that made D2 for me. I was majorly, drastically, epically let down by how in all of D3, there's only one quest that ties to the story. (When you get the ability to town portal after killing Haedrig's grandfather.) Playing D3, you hardly notice there's a story at all. It's all just run around and kill things. It seems almost counter intuitive when you have to even click on the NPCs to advance the story. Just LOOK at how closely tied D2 character progression was to the story:

Act 1:
Quest 1: Cleanse the den of evil: Your reward +1 skill points.
Quest 2: Kill Blood Raven: Your reward A merc.
Quest 3: Rescue Cain: Your reward A Rare Ring. (Something rare to find at that point in the game)
Quest 4: Kill the Countess: Your reward A pile of gold, gems, and runes. (And this was technically a sidequest, since you could finish the act/game without even doing this quest!)
Quest 5: Get the Horadric Hammer. Your reward is the enchanting of an item into a rare.
Quest 6: Kill Andariel. Your reward is... Nothing! Other than moving onto the next act.

JUST LOOK AT THIS. Look at how closely tied the story in D2 is to character progression/power. D3 is entirely like Quest 6, with the exception of the one quest that gives you the town portal. You never get anything (gold+XP is such a terrible solution I'd rather not mention it.) ever again for completeing a quest. It's all just hack/slash then click NPC. Huge letdown. D2 literally had me glued to it with how well tied the story and character development were tied together. I remember how I used to always play longer than I planned after finishing a difficulty level so I could do the den of evil and collect that 'free' skill point on the higher difficulty level. I remmeber spending so much time thinking about how I could have better used free skill points, and planning out entire builds based on quest rewards. With D3 you just never have this personal attachment or drive to play. Right now it's like the entire game is just one big Act/Quest and the only reward is Paragon 100 for +300 Gold and Magic Find.
Reply Quote
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but for me personally, the greatest thing about D2 was how intricately tied together the story and the progression of character power was. I mean, that made D2 for me. I was majorly, drastically, epically let down by how in all of D3, there's only one quest that ties to the story. (When you get the ability to town portal after killing Haedrig's grandfather.) Playing D3, you hardly notice there's a story at all. It's all just run around and kill things. It seems almost counter intuitive when you have to even click on the NPCs to advance the story. Just LOOK at how closely tied D2 character progression was to the story:

Act 1:
Quest 3: Rescue Cain: Your reward A Rare Ring. (Something rare to find at that point in the game)
Quest 4: Kill the Countess: Your reward A pile of gold, gems, and runes. (And this was technically a sidequest, since you could finish the act/game without even doing this quest!)
Quest 5: Get the Horadric Hammer. Your reward is the enchanting of an item into a rare.
Quest 6: Kill Andariel. Your reward is... Nothing! Other than moving onto the next act.

JUST LOOK AT THIS. Look at how closely tied the story in D2 is to character progression/power. D3 is entirely like Quest 6, with the exception of the one quest that gives you the town portal. You never get anything (gold+XP is such a terrible solution I'd rather not mention it.) ever again for completeing a quest. It's all just hack/slash then click NPC. Huge letdown. D2 literally had me glued to it with how well tied the story and character development were tied together. I remember how I used to always play longer than I planned after finishing a difficulty level so I could do the den of evil and collect that 'free' skill point on the higher difficulty level. I remmeber spending so much time thinking about how I could have better used free skill points, and planning out entire builds based on quest rewards. With D3 you just never have this personal attachment or drive to play. Right now it's like the entire game is just one big Act/Quest and the only reward is Paragon 100 for +300 Gold and Magic Find.

+1
Reply Quote
I think getting level cap was the biggest mistake. I mean in Diablo 2 not so much Diablo 1. You could almost always gain levels I myself only made it to 97. So making the level cap easily reachable in this game was a mistake. However I know blizzards reasons for making it that way I still disagree with their desion and think making level cap hard to reach would have been a better move. Paragon levels is blizzards way of saying they were wrong but they were also warned not to make level cap so easily reachable even before it the game was released.

Another thing they did was make all the map static. You always go the same way out of new tristram and take the same snake route to the catheredal. the only maps that are random are the dungeons I also think the outside maps should have been made to be random as well.
Reply Quote
07/26/2013 03:09 PMPosted by Grimiku
Diablo 3 would have more longevity if Act I normal had an optional quest that granted you +1 Strength (depending on class) permanently and the same optional quest on Inferno granted you +4 Strength permanently.

Thank you for sharing Diablo III feedback, and your ideas on side quests. I think the heart of what you're mentioning (based your feedback, and others) is that Diablo III could use more things to do once you've completed Inferno difficulty. We're working on adding some variety for players who have completed Inferno difficulty, but we've also heard players mention that the Hell difficulty feels redundant. We're looking at ways to adjust what it takes to get to Inferno as a result. Hopefully, the sum total of those changes means we'll be adding interesting variety, and longevity to the end game, while keeping the path along the way fun.

Here is a reply from Wyatt to Flux, when asked about the possibility of removing the Hell difficulty, so that you have some context and insight.

If you want to make it where the players have control instead of the story then here is my suggestion.

When you beat NM Diablo then hell opens up like normal. But instead of going through the story. All of act one opens up. All waypoints are open, you can travel anywhere. You have no story to go through. You would still have to beat the Butcher to get to the next act. Then the same would happen for each act until you reached inferno. Then inferno would be the same as hell difficulty. Where you would be free to travel anywhere in each act, but to get to the next act you would have to be the act end boss to do it.

IMO the problem with moving the destination closer is what are you gonna do. Change the amount of affixes the enemies have in inferno. Because if you just removed hell then you wold jump from having elites with 2 affixes to inferno where they have 4 affixes. That might be fine for those that have already been playing for a long time but not for new players.
Reply Quote

Act 1:

I must also +1 this...

I felt let down by their decision to remove the skill tree and point distribution.
Your point is related to quest, yet the end result... all players seem the same at the end, there no diversity. If you have all 5 class lv60, you have reached the end as they on their own can do anything. Only diversity are items.

I'm still hoping they will fix it with expansion, but best not to keep my hope up.
Even their account support seem to be off lately.
Reply Quote
Inferno has always been a gimmick that the diablo series never needed...
Reply Quote
They introduced Paragon level,isn't that power-up enough???
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]