Diablo® III

Diablo 3 needs "power-up" quests like Diablo 2 did

I don't think any of this is an 'issue" it's just different. D2 didn't restrict you're movement in the world, and allowed you to bypass entire huge portions of the acts, if not by running and skipping the quests, then by someone rushing you. D3 doesn't allow you to progress unless you do every single quest, but is that bad if we get substitutes like events?

I have 10 lvl 60 heroes... 2 of each gender and class, I had not an issue with the play through of the game.. yes it's not D2.

On that note too though, my friends list does contain several people who clearly just played normal then quit because a year ago inferno didn't have the intensive it does now so the game ended after normal. This is an issue they maybe shouldn't considered a lot more for the console release.
Reply Quote
Please don't remove hell difficulty. Maybe add an option for softcore to start at level 60 on inferno after you beat inferno with a character. But it's essential for hardcore (elites have 1-2-3-4 affixes)
Reply Quote
i'm sorry, are you asking for free dps upgrades? are these quests you are asking for repeatable? ie: if I repeat the quest 50000 times i get 50,000 strength?

someone here has never played Diablo 1 or 2 I suppose.

In Diablo 2 for example, once a character finished a quest, the reward he got for it would not spawn again, just the monster you had to kill in that quest, your journal would also show that quest as finished for example so have not been forced to go trough that same anoying dialogue over and over again.

I thought it should be a no brainer here, that a quest reward like stat increase, should be only possible ONCE for every character.

so when I leveled up my first character, I played normal from act 1-act4 without skipping any quests. this game = total linear progression, you literally do not skip ANY quests.

the only time i skipped a full story progression was power leveling my remaining 9 characters to level 60. and even so once you hit level 60, it will take you barely less than 30 mins - to 1 hr to complete all 4 acts

so I ask again how in the heck will any of these "suggestions" encourage someone to farm inferno another 500,000 times? does your "power up" quest suggestion actually ADD anything to the longevity of the game?

I played 2000hrs with 4560 points in achievements in game, I do not see how even if they gave quest progression rewards for (normal,nm,hell) that will it will convince me to play more than one playthrough of each difficulty before inferno

as I mentioned also before, power progression is relative.

eg: eg: at mp1 inferno, a plvl0 barb character is assumed to be balanced at naked to monsters
with the following stats.
187 str (primary stat)
67 dex/int (non primary stat)
armor 187
damage 7.35
cc 5
cdmg 10
aps 1

--
lets say you have a series of quests that when complete raised ALL naked characters to

2000 (primary stat)
1000 (secondary stat)

in which the game needs to be balanced around that fact. so maybe all mobs will start dealing 10-30% more damage to account for the increased mitigation given by str/dex/int. their hp pools also will probably need to be increased to account for extra damage from str

--
in otherwords. all global dps increases are an illusion.

example:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155884/developer-journal-defensive-bonuses-and-monster-damage-9-14-2012

eg: a nerf to monster's incoming damage globally = individual player's skills need to be nerfed to maintain balance.

in otherwords, you can have power gains relative to another class, but applying global dps/mit/sustain changes are largely an illusion

(ie: Everyone in the world has their money instantly doubled. what has changed?)
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 7/28/2013 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Guys just give us proper character progress please...

This preset skill and stat system is the root cause of all the problems you are discribing...

(. . .) let us make many builds instead :)

This is correct. One of the worst parts about wanting to try a new build is that it's really not fun having to wait 37 levels for most of the pieces to be available, if any. Or the reverse: if your new build is front-loaded, there's very little point to playing past Act 2 of Normal.

I'd rather see a regular progression for diverse builds rather than all builds being available for the character all the time.

On that note, it would be nice to add a party support skill line to classes to make grouping with friends fun.

It's related to the issue of having your weapon progress instead of your skill.
Edited by Morthion#1328 on 7/28/2013 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Here is a reply from Wyatt to Flux, when asked about the possibility of removing the Hell difficulty, so that you have some context and insight.

Wyatt Cheng: A related question to that is, 1-30 the first time through normal is interesting, maybe the first time because of the story. maybe the 2nd time through it’s a different class and you’re doing different skills. Maybe the pacing feels right. maybe it’s even interesting further down since the challenge holds up and your loot/reward acquisition rate stays high and feels right.

Not sure if anyone has grasped this yet, but what they are saying when a blue responds with something like this is:

"Guys, this is what we are working on currently"

So instead of throwing lots of random ideas at them, lets try to work within the context of what they are actually doing. I, for one, feel like it is obvious what they are doing with their time after reading a post like this.

Even if this isn't what we all want... it's what they are doing... That's been the continual theme with this development crew...

Right now, they are spending their time on trying to re-balance the misplaced levels that would have come from having all of the difficulties (normal-nightmare-hell-inferno), instead of working solely on producing an interesting end-game itemization fix.

If we aren't going to get what we really want, lets at least throw ideas at them that make sense within the bounds of what they are currently spending their time doing...

/go

P.s. - /sigh
Reply Quote
You guys need to understand that the worst thing you can do, if you really like an idea, is come announce it on the forum. All that you accomplish is to basically ensure that you will never see it implemented, lest Blizzard be accused of plagiarism.

Not to mention the fact that developers, as well as other artists, don't generally accept ideas from outside sources - they feel it places a damper on their artistic integrity.
Edited by Darkul#1370 on 7/29/2013 1:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
why are you talking about belial?

I've killed belial naked for achievements, which means I obviously can survive without getting hit by a single green explosions

either don't get hit, or gear up properly to face tank. looking at your gear, you still need to farm act 1 and act 2 a few thousand times and get way better gear. you are seriously missing a ton of all resist/armor among other things.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 7/29/2013 2:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
so when I leveled up my first character, I played normal from act 1-act4 without skipping any quests. this game = total linear progression, you literally do not skip ANY quests.

the only time i skipped a full story progression was power leveling my remaining 9 characters to level 60. and even so once you hit level 60, it will take you barely less than 30 mins - to 1 hr to complete all 4 acts

so I ask again how in the heck will any of these "suggestions" encourage someone to farm inferno another 500,000 times? does your "power up" quest suggestion actually ADD anything to the longevity of the game?

you dont understand. THis isnt about "farming" or what ever.

This is about interaction and quest design.

It simply feels better to find a magic knife for a wizard in the jungle to use it to cast a protection spell for the town and he gives you a rare ring as reward compared to a small "message" on top of your screen that says "you got 2000 gold".

In the end, 99,99% of the time the ring was useless anyway! And you just sold it, but it gives you at least the ILLUSION like there would be some interaction in the game and that the wizard was talking to YOU directly.

Thats the point of doing quests, not just to "farm" them or doing them over and over again, this here isnt World of Warcraft or some other MMO where this might be a standart "get me 100 roots for 10 gold" quest. Seriously, if its all only becaues of the experience and gold, then you could just give it to the player while he is waiting 30 min. to get it. What would be better in the end? If you do something where you have to accomplish a task, talking with NPCs maybe killing something and get your reward? Or if all you have to do is to stand there and wait 30 min. for a bar to fill up like if you would be crafting gems? The reward is the same. But the interaction is different.

Of course you spend a lot of time killing monsters and farming content in the hope to get that awesome loot. Doing the same maps eventually a thousand times. But that is ONE side of the game.

The other is interesting quests which are part of the overall game and which you do maybe only once with every character. Like to kill that evil monster that summons the death amazons on the graveyard and as reward the amazons in the camp grant you a mercenary that follows you. The quest to clean a cave filled with evil monsters, and once you killed them all, the leader of the amazons grants you a small stat upgrade. Some other quest involves to find a small statue in the jungle not knowing what it is and asking the people in town about it they send you to the alchemist and from the ashes inside he is making a potion to increase your vitality while telling you that the ashes are from a great warrior or something. No one really farmed those monsters thousand times, and in the case of the statue you could only get it once for every character.

But those are things that make the game more alive and giving you the ILLUSION of diversity and that youre doing more then just "farming" over and over again. Of course in the end 99% of the time what you do is to collect something or to kill some bad !@# monsters that eats all the children in the village or what ever.

But it is about plausibility here. Not every quest has to be like that of course. But all you get is a random message poping up telling you that got some 4000 gold for killing the major act boss ... then it simply feels bland and uninspiring. You can even do that! No problem. But only after the quest has been done already once where you got a proper reward eventually. Or just let the Monster that you killed drop that gold, where is the problem with that? It definietly was fun to replay Diablo 1 and 2 from sometimes, if not for the "farming" but just to play the story again. I think people today dont understand how great Diablo1 and 2 have been actually, FOR ITS TIME(!), because they made a lot of things that are TODAY a STANDART in games.

Diablo has its root in the hack and slay games and somewhat in roque based games, dungeon crawlers. It is today though, seen as a single player action RPG, not as MMO. So I dont see why the quests and their rewards cant be more tied in to the story line. It definitely feelt more epic to go to the soul force, crushing mephistos soul stone getting eventually some nice gems and maybe even awesome runes out of it or a task to find the Horadric Cube which not only is a part of the story, but also a very valuable item for farming, compared to the the thousand times you kill Rakanoth and getting like what? Only gold for it ...

I am really missing items like the Horadric cube, that saw their use in the storyline AND which had a value for the player, to create for example items, combining gems and runes etc.
Edited by CrniVuk#2227 on 7/29/2013 4:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
leveling in diablo 3 is way to easy for folks to be complaining lol I always hit 60 way before hell is over you just need to do all the events instead of running past the content the little caves and stuff as well
Reply Quote
For me the problem happened when they nerfed Inferno to oblivion. The thing is, there were 4 difficulty levels as Inferno was meant for only the elite players.

In order to fix this, Inferno's difficulty should start at MP10's current difficulty. Hell needs to be made into what Inferno is now.

Then the devs just need to convince the public that Inferno is really only for the top few %....
Reply Quote
For me the problem happened when they nerfed Inferno to oblivion. The thing is, there were 4 difficulty levels as Inferno was meant for only the elite players.

and thats where the problem was.

You cant keep a game alive only with "elite players" ... what ever those are.
Reply Quote
The elite players, the ones that play 40+ hours a week, need something that provides a challenge to play. Currently with the guild that I run with there are a number of players that faceroll mp10. This is telling me the game is too easy, not too hard. The best of the best should have some difficulty clearing the best content in the game.

Tweak Hell so it's difficulty is slightly lower than Inferno mp0 (and by the time Hell is complete, it shoudl have the difficulty of Inferno MP0).

Then take Inferno and make it equivelant to mp0=mp10.

You can then make better items that are extrodinarily rare that will allow players to progress through the end-game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]