Diablo® III

WW or HOTA barb

All I ever see are posts about WW barbs. I know it's been a very popular build for a while now (I use to play a WW barb in SC) but how come HOTA barbs don't get any love?

At around Para 20 or so, I got tired of a rend barb and didn't want to play WW barb since I had a lot of hours played on my SC barb. I tried out Seismac Slam but didn't like the knockback so I tried out HOTA. Even before I had my current gear, I instantly fell in love with HOTA play style. The synergy it has with other classes builds, is just simply amazing.

So my question is, which type of barb would you prefer to group with? Also, what's your ideal group setup?

My ideal group I'd like to run with would be: a HOTA barb (me), a CS/convic monk, a WD, and a CM wiz.
Reply Quote
If you can actually find a good CM wiz and a good CS/MoC monk, you can truly do whatever you want. It's hard to find a good CM wiz, though, because they're so expensive to gear and they unfortunately often have short life spans in HC.

If you are sick of WW, do HotA. IMO it's best to do with a CC stormshield and sword in HC. The shield gives you good protection so that you can tank through elemental damage and the sword gives a good combination of DPS via weapon master passive and attack speed, which helps so much with generating fury and maintaining WotB. I've also done HotA with a life steal Skorn, which was expensive but very effective. Skorn HotA plus MoC monk = splat. Perma-WotB was tough, though. Obviously dual wield has huge DPS potential but it's also expensive. Finally, WW-HotA hybrid is really effective if you are playing with another barb so that you don't need to spec warcry.

In general, your group will really appreciate Warcry and Inspiring Presence. IMO it doesn't much matter if you kill with WW or HotA. Both are fine.
Edited by VeePow#1555 on 7/26/2013 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As a hota barb, i want other.barbs on hota. Clustered.mobs are.important

As a RF bombardment convert, i want a HOTA barb as well. I want mobs clustered and not moving. RF bombardment is terrible against moving targets

As a elemental arrow DH it wasnt as.important. but, id run with a lot of bat docs. I prefered tight.mobs aggrod right on top of the bat doc rather than moving in cricles after the WW barb. Its not like an elemental arrow dH did any dps anyway
Reply Quote
View profile
planch ive been meaning to make a barb like yours forever. im not even talking about now that you have godly gear, i mean when i saw your old barb in action i was loving the single target dps you put out.

ps i hope you still have that lance ;)
Reply Quote
I prefer HOTA barbs!

In fact I don't mind playing with any classes/skills, as long as they work great each others.
Reply Quote
This is why WW barbs are beast.

http://i.imgur.com/EsU1D4G.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WB9xVBe.jpg

Can't see HOTA doing this.
Reply Quote
Most the time, I'll use IP in groups instead of nerves of steel. I feel like HOTA- Thunderstrike is a gimped version of a CM wiz. There's been plenty of times where my group has encountered an elite pack with a huge pack of whites and the elites are stunned 100% of the time since I'm killing all the whites near them.

Haha Iso yeah I still have that polearm! You should give HOTA a try next instead of WW. We all know how your WW barbs are gonna end up! :(

Any group with Frosted in it is already off to a good start!

I think 3 weeks was long enough of a break from D3 for me! Once I reinstall D3 today, I'll probably put together a nice HOTA barb set with some old gear I have to try and encourage more barbs to play as HOTA.
Reply Quote
View profile
Most the time, I'll use IP in groups instead of nerves of steel. I feel like HOTA- Thunderstrike is a gimped version of a CM wiz. There's been plenty of times where my group has encountered an elite pack with a huge pack of whites and the elites are stunned 100% of the time since I'm killing all the whites near them.

Haha Iso yeah I still have that polearm! You should give HOTA a try next instead of WW. We all know how your WW barbs are gonna end up! :(

Any group with Frosted in it is already off to a good start!

I think 3 weeks was long enough of a break from D3 for me! Once I reinstall D3 today, I'll probably put together a nice HOTA barb set with some old gear I have to try and encourage more barbs to play as HOTA.

hahahaha yeah man, i made a barb today to play with a friend IRL. can already feel deaths hand on my shoulder XD.

i also wanted to say, what first sold me on HOTA was seeing bryan in action during ubers. that guy could kill rakanoth solo in the time it took me and 2 others to kill ghom. he would make jokes like "took you guys long enough". haha always made me laugh, and you cant argue with results like that haha
Reply Quote
WW has better DC protection. Chances are if you DC in the middle of a fight the twisters will still be giving you life buying you 2-3 seconds. Every little bit helps, you dc with hota your dmg on mobs instantly drops off.

Overall WW is just a safer spec, need to move with hota to reposition b/c your standing in Poison not a problem with WW you'll heal as you move.
Edited by MASKOAA#1251 on 7/26/2013 11:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I guess I'm just biased to a HOTA build because I love seeing huge numbers. The hardest crit I've had so far was 3.9mil. My average crit without WOTB is around 1.1-1.3mil though. The 3.9mil crit was with Smash and conviction. With those high of crits, I don't think I can ever go to anything else. When using rend and I pop WOTB, I've seen crits range from 565k-615k. With that amount of dmg, the sustain is absolutely amazing
Reply Quote
View profile
HOTA is great, but if you get surrounded by extremely aggressive mobs (cough, f***ing snakes in a2) it is sometimes tough to aim the hammer blow. Generally, I feel that both are effective, and I can perma-wrath with either now, but it's easier for me to perma-wrath with HOTA than WW right now even with 2.6 aps. Maybe if I can reach the 2.857 bp I'll feel differently, but it's probably just that I've spent more time on HOTA.
Reply Quote
HOTA is great, but if you get surrounded by extremely aggressive mobs (cough, f***ing snakes in a2) it is sometimes tough to aim the hammer blow. .

snakes are the trees of act2 :(
Reply Quote
I thought people liked those snakes since they're easy to kill and in huge groups? I never thought they were tough. They're the reasons I like to farm A2 over A1
Reply Quote
I personally love HOTA build myself. IMO it is better for groups especially if you use the thunderstrike rune. On areas where you have lots of white mobs or the elite has illusionist affix, you will probably perma-stun the elites.

There are some drawbacks in that you can get body-blocked quite easily and unless you take leap or WW as a secondary skill, you won't be able to move. Unfortunately then you can't take rend which is most HOTA barbs primary sustain skill. Still I think its an awesome build and quite frankly, just play what is fun for you. ^^
Reply Quote
07/26/2013 12:12 PMPosted by Planchard
I thought people liked those snakes since they're easy to kill and in huge groups? I never thought they were tough. They're the reasons I like to farm A2 over A1

+1

I love these snakes as a monk or a wd... they're like the A3 spiders pre patch to me. It's probably different as a barb though, I don't know.
Reply Quote
View profile
07/26/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Bryanw1995
HOTA is great, but if you get surrounded by extremely aggressive mobs (cough, f***ing snakes in a2) it is sometimes tough to aim the hammer blow. Generally, I feel that both are effective, and I can perma-wrath with either now, but it's easier for me to perma-wrath with HOTA than WW right now even with 2.6 aps. Maybe if I can reach the 2.857 bp I'll feel differently, but it's probably just that I've spent more time on HOTA.

i might be able to give you a hand, ive got that blade of the warlord i showed you. youve got good aps with a shield.

my old one was like acrimonys barb http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/acrimony-1561/hero/30465951 i think i probably had even less ias than him, i remember one time we did arreat cratar 1 right down to cydea on one wrath.

with your aps and a mighty weapon, perma wrath will feel effortless.
Edited by Isolation#1274 on 7/26/2013 1:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I love having a backup mighty for things like solo low mp farming or if your group is killing to fast. Got this one for cheap.
http://i.imgur.com/0iwO9Q0.jpg
Reply Quote
Agreed, hota barbs + forced march owns in party, ww is not for group play unfortunaly

Also i died from ww rubberbanding so be careful with it in hc =(
Reply Quote
07/26/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Bryanw1995
HOTA is great, but if you get surrounded by extremely aggressive mobs (cough, f***ing snakes in a2) it is sometimes tough to aim the hammer blow.

I used to solve this problem with killing spree, too bad it consumes a valuable skill slot
Reply Quote
if ur surrounded then you shouldnt miss.....lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]