Diablo® III

This game still bad on macs?

Hey guys I just have a general question....

I bought this game at midnight when it was released and tried playing it on my macbook pro for a few weeks. I got so frustrated on how bad it was on the mac platform. So laggy and a complete waste of time/money. Tried getting on today because i figured maybe a year was enough time to fix things. Still pretty bad. Am i doing anything wrong or did i miss any updates? Thanks
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
What are your settings, and are you running from the stock HD or an SSD? Those things can make a difference in how the game plays. Note that even on SSDs in Mac Pros there is still microstutter, especially in 10.6.8, but present in all OSes.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
Not too familiar with computers. I just have a macbook pro from 2010 and run the standard settings. I saw a notification about osx 10.7. I updated my software but I think it wants me to get the osx lion if I'm correct.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
For a quick info on your hardware, go to your Apple menu and "About this Mac".

I'm using a Mac Mini with:
OS X 10.8.4
Processor: 2.5 GHz i5
RAM: 8 GB

And with D3 on the lowest settings, I still experience lag. I think the only hardware that don't seem to experience lag are ones with i7 processors. I've hard that also direct line into the modem could help too, instead of wireless, which I imagine most use.

My Mac Mini is newer than D3, but can't play smoothly with lowest settings. Kind of sad.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Mikey, here are instructions on how to obtain your system information. The information requested gives me a more complete picture of exactly what configuration your machine has, which might tell me right off the bat whether or not the configuration is a factor.

Obtaining and Posting System Information

1) Click on the Apple Menu while holding down the Option key and select System Profiler (10.6.8) / System Information (10.7 and later).

2) Copy the information from the following sections and paste them into your post. Please copy in the following order: Hardware Overview, Graphics, and Software. Do not include any serial numbers, hardware UUIDs, or account/login names or information in your post.

Your system information, once pasted into your post, should be in a format similar to this:

Hardware Overview:

• Model Name: Mac Pro
  • Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
  • Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
  • Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
  • Number Of Processors: 2
  • Total Number Of Cores: 4
  • L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
  • Memory: 7 GB
  • Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
  • Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
  • SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

ATI Radeon HD 5870:

• Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5870
  • Type: GPU
  • Bus: PCIe
  • Slot: Slot-1
  • PCIe Lane Width: x16
  • VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
  • Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
  • Device ID: 0x6898
  • Revision ID: 0x0000
  • ROM Revision: 113-C0780C-194
  • EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436
  • Displays:
    • SAMSUNG:
      • Resolution: 1600 x 900 @ 60 Hz
      • Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
      • Main Display: Yes
      • Mirror: Off
      • Online: Yes
      • Rotation: Supported
      • Television: Yes
    • Display Connector:
    • Display Connector:

System Software Overview:

• System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
  • Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
  • Boot Mode: Normal
  • Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
  • 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

Note: The formatting of this example is different from what you will see in your post. This is because I created a specific layout that is more readable to myself and others. A simple copy/paste will work just fine for your purposes.
Reply Quote
Thanks guys, seems to me that i wasted money on yet another awful blizzard product. Lesson learned!!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
07/30/2013 02:48 PMPosted by Mikey
Thanks guys, seems to me that i wasted money on yet another awful blizzard product. Lesson learned!!

Don't say that just yet... supposedly we're supposed to see an improvement in game play when 10.6 support is dropped.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
07/30/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Cruciarius
Don't say that just yet... supposedly we're supposed to see an improvement in game play when 10.6 support is dropped.

This will depend on the drivers for the graphics cards as well. Drivers that are extremely poorly optimized might see the most benefit, but drivers that are either well optimized or at least continually updated might not benefit as much.
Reply Quote
I have got to say that the Technical Support from these guys is at best a bunch of B.S. I know that macs are a small group compared to PC, but if you not going to test the game and work out the bugs for a mac don't offer it. Its almost like when you call Dell and get the guy or gal from India and they start to read from a script no matter what you say.

I have found that the game has gotten worse with each new update and these guys could care less. Which by the way would be fine, but why offer the game on a Mac if you could not give a damn how it works.

AND ON A SIDE NOTE AND PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANT.......
DO NOT PLAY HARDCORE if you are going to play the game at all... I have wasted countless hours just to have this game slow down and kill me just because this company could care less how their product runs on a mac. Tanked out a character on my 8th try to combat the slowing down problem and lowered all the setting to the lowest possible, actually made it to Paragon 11, just to get killed by blizzard ineptness to care about coming up with a solution to the mac issues.

I find it funny how they send you to another site to explain or fix their issues.. Which by the way does not work....
Reply Quote
For a quick info on your hardware, go to your Apple menu and "About this Mac".

I'm using a Mac Mini with:
OS X 10.8.4
Processor: 2.5 GHz i5
RAM: 8 GB

And with D3 on the lowest settings, I still experience lag. I think the only hardware that don't seem to experience lag are ones with i7 processors. I've hard that also direct line into the modem could help too, instead of wireless, which I imagine most use.

My Mac Mini is newer than D3, but can't play smoothly with lowest settings. Kind of sad.
Have a braned new Mbp (i7 processor) this game is virtually unplayable, the coding for Mac optimization is a complete and utter joke. D3 team should be ashamed of themselves.

They really need to add a caution or warning under Mac support to warn people before purchasing.
Reply Quote
I have got to say that the Technical Support from these guys is at best a bunch of B.S. I know that macs are a small group compared to PC, but if you not going to test the game and work out the bugs for a mac don't offer it. Its almost like when you call Dell and get the guy or gal from India and they start to read from a script no matter what you say.

I have found that the game has gotten worse with each new update and these guys could care less. Which by the way would be fine, but why offer the game on a Mac if you could not give a damn how it works.

AND ON A SIDE NOTE AND PROBABLY MOST IMPORTANT.......
DO NOT PLAY HARDCORE if you are going to play the game at all... I have wasted countless hours just to have this game slow down and kill me just because this company could care less how their product runs on a mac. Tanked out a character on my 8th try to combat the slowing down problem and lowered all the setting to the lowest possible, actually made it to Paragon 11, just to get killed by blizzard ineptness to care about coming up with a solution to the mac issues.

I find it funny how they send you to another site to explain or fix their issues.. Which by the way does not work....
All of this is true, the game has gotten progressively worse each patch as for as Mac optimization goes, the resolution support, lag, rubber banding etc etc is a huge cluster **** and a major problem, they don't care to fix. I can't even run my default resolution or my ****'ing client crashes, WHAT A JOKE.
Edited by ImmortalKing#1296 on 8/16/2013 10:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I get excited with the patch announcement. But since the game is too lag on my Mac, why care?

After 2 months without even open the game, I tried again. Excessive high FPS. And I tested it on my wife's Mac (same configuration) and... LAG.

Seriously?

Observation: I tried all the tips pinned on this forum (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8769297767) and nothing changed.
Reply Quote
I have a Mac Desktop 5 or six years old, with Intel etc. etc. i sometimes wonder if there is a specific reason my Mac OS won't run D3 well. Though somebody at Blizzard awhile ago advised against bootcamp I was so thirsty to try the game that I bought Windows 7 and installed it anyway. I don't remember if I got a reason (hopefully it's not because they will give up on security and open up boot camp users specifically to harm) . It was expensive but works fine on the lowest settings. I can't imagine how great this game looks on hi def specs. Ps Ironically I trudge through this game without spending a dime on the AH which for the most part has sucked. I do realize thiugh how great this game is in a way. I've put over 300 hours on my marginal among the poor and weak Monk. So it ma just be worth it to you. The expansion looks nutty. Just a few hours ago at work I hated the Crusader. I just figure if I can muster up the energy I'd go with the herd in creating an uber powerful Crusader.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I dunno.

I have a first gen Mac Pro upgraded with a 5870 video card.

Those dual-core dual Xeons plug away pretty well with that card and even playing at 2560x1600 at decent settings, I haven't had the issues many have.

I notice many folks having issues are laptop users.

Several questions? Do you all have SMCfancontrol installed? It's essential if you're going to game on a Macbook to have this installed. Apple is notorious for running fans on the very lowest settings so that they are whisper quiet. However, that setting is inadequate for gaming or rendering or anything that really uses the video card for much of anything.

Second, do you have a Retina display? If you think about it, a Retina display is 2800x1600 which is basically 4.5M pixels. Multiply that by the bit depth for color and that you have a LOT of work for a mobile card to do for each 1/60th of a second. They look pretty, but Retina displays are terrible for gaming because they require so much horsepower and the more games change, the exponentially require more than a less demanding monitor (and it's not like you can just swap out video cards on a Macbook or Macbook Pro...)

Are you sure you aren't running anything in the background? Things like email, ClamX AV and MacKeeper among other things can all cause stutters as they run in the background. It's a good idea to check the Activity Monitor and verify what's actually running.

Also, if you haven't restarted your laptop in a while, it's not a bad idea. Gaming and swapping between full screen games and browsers can tear up a laptops available memory with cache files, temp files and logs leaving you with unavailable memory sitting there and the system writing to disk. Even if it's to an SSD, it's still on a much slower disk bus versus a memory bus and that lag can cause problems.

I'm not saying that D3 on the Mac is without issues. I've had a few when it launched and a few since. Still, it's important to isolate all the variables and really get to the heart of things.

Lastly, I'm going to defend Blizz and their Mac crew. This isn't Guild Wars 2 and their crappy Cider port that still isn't working. This isn't Rift that isn't even doing that much. This is Blizzard and they do FULL OpenGL game development. Can they improve? Absolutely. I think even Omegal who's clearly a coder and OpenGL expert would agree with that Blizz isn't utilizing OpenGL to its fullest even within the constraints Blizz has set for itself. And that limits a lot of stuff including features, improvements and bug fixes.

Still, whatever differences I've had with Blizz in the nearly 17 years I've been playing their games (since Diablo), I am thankful that I can have those differences natively on the MacOS.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
My brother has an iMac, unsure which model exactly, but I know it's a recent Intel model. Likely an i7. Anyway, his D3 seems to play flawlessly and I don't think he plays on the lowest settings.

I think my next taxes will be going towards an iMac.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
08/22/2013 01:58 PMPosted by Dachengshi
Those dual-core dual Xeons plug away pretty well with that card and even playing at 2560x1600 at decent settings, I haven't had the issues many have.

Me either, A nice 2008 mac and diablo runs smooth as butter. I think people are expecting too much magic out of low end macbook's. Just because they are expensive doesn't mean they are good. Apples designs them with gaming the FURTHEST thing from their mind. Mid range and low range gpus, retina resolutions? on those gpus? Worst idea they ever conceived. desktop and Facebook look pretty. Games run poorly. They can run somewhat decent if you know the weak points of gpu and turn down things like physics and shadows and tone resolution way below retina to something reasonable. D3 isn't as optimized on mac as windows so boot camp will always run better too, especially on newer hardware. The mac team is aware of the the micro stuttering and fact game is probably LONG overdo for OpenGL 3.2 (or 4.1 on 10.9). Of course that means breaking a LOT of egg shells because to actually optimize the game for 3.2 means requiring 10.7.5+ OPtimizing for 4.1 requires 10.9.0 or higher for most part. they can maintain two engines but it's more work load so likely they'll just adopt 3.2 at some point when they can kiss 10.6 good bye.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
I hate Lion with a passion, but I can run ML (and likely Mavericks as well once I get past the installer issues) via Chameleon so I'm all for ditching SL if need be. I'll end up making a Hack Pro likely sometime this year anyway unless Appel's new iTrashCan has consumer level video cards and/or they've overcome the thermal throttling issues that make the CPUs clock at lower than optimal speeds.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
D3 isn't as optimized on mac as windows...

Been wondering if that may be true for all Blizzard games. I've had frame rate issues with D2, back when I had an iMac G4, which had plenty of RAM. Having lag or frame rate issues with D3 as well as some areas of WoW, on a Mac Mini 2.5 GHz i5 with 8 GB RAM. Both games with lowest settings.

Wish the Mac team were given more time or a lot more help to optimize the games for the Mac.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Cruclarius, D3 is quite optimized on mac, granted it could be better. As much as people love to blame blizzard, these two articles spell out the real problem.

http://netkas.org/?p=1287
http://netkas.org/?p=1292

Note also, that these are testes with a SUPERIOR version of OS than we're using now, since 10.9 is running even newer versions of drivers and OpenGL 4.1

That pretty much summarizes the chief issue to mac performance. It's no secret your mac will play better in windows. That said, macs CAN play well in OS X with appropriate settings in most cases, as long as hardware isn't TOO terrible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]