Diablo® III

This game still bad on macs?

MVP - Technical Support
View profile
The general client might be fairly decently optimized, but there are two issues that remain.

The first is microstuttering, which despite Mavericks' OpenGL 4.1 is just as rampant as it is in Snow Leopard's OpenGL 2.1.

The second issue is cross platform - the physics portion of the game engine. It's horribly CPU bound, and even a Core i7-4770K can become a bottleneck. Anything that involves breakable objects or lots of monsters being hit/killed in quick succession triggers the physics to ramp up and that's what causes the "slideshow" effect. I can have a screen packed with monsters, even fast ones on my Mac Pro 1,1, which uses "lowly" 2.66 GHz Xeon 5150 CPUs (x2) and be butter smooth, but the moment I start causing those particle effects and body parts/breakable objects to fly, it becomes a slideshow.

The Windows client deals with the physics better than the OS X one does, but it still hits them pretty hard too. I'm really hoping the expansion brings optimizations to that portion of the engine.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Reply Quote
08/25/2013 05:38 AMPosted by TheTias
The second issue is cross platform - the physics portion of the game engine. It's horribly CPU bound, and even a Core i7-4770K can become a bottleneck

This! Seriously!

OpenGL may be a little worse on OS X than Windows but that isn't the core issue here. The physics part has to be improved to be at least on par with Windows here. But even then.. that is not enough. This has to be addressed IMO.

I mean - the Windows requirement lists a Pentium D as a minimum. Wow, I can't even think of how that would run with patch 1.0.8. While monster density certainly makes things worse the current state is just appaling.

I haven't seen the game running on the PS3 - but if it is possible to port the physics stuff to this 8 year old platform - which is infamous to be a b!%&/ to code for - I don't see why this is not possible to fix on a one year old "super-computer". These X86 machines with their GPUs these days - they seem to never run out of steam.. if code is implemented correctly that is..

I know the guys on this forum (OS X specifically - maybe because it's more quiet over here) can't really change this. And their support here for people having issues is great. But it should brought to attention to Blizzard.. if possible. This issue is sad and completely unnecessary.. but the Blizz-techies may have a different opinion here. But unfortunately we don't know.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Cruclarius, D3 is quite optimized on mac, granted it could be better. As much as people love to blame blizzard, these two articles spell out the real problem.

http://netkas.org/?p=1287
http://netkas.org/?p=1292

Note also, that these are testes with a SUPERIOR version of OS than we're using now, since 10.9 is running even newer versions of drivers and OpenGL 4.1

That pretty much summarizes the chief issue to mac performance. It's no secret your mac will play better in windows. That said, macs CAN play well in OS X with appropriate settings in most cases, as long as hardware isn't TOO terrible.

You might want to read the reply in the second link you posted in regards to DP6.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
I wish I could download DP6. I have a paid ADC membership and can only get DP4. I guess only Premiere members get DP6.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Yeah of course they are gonna TRY to optimize ati drivers for the itrashcanpro, but i doubt it'll play back to older ati cards or nvidia's. We'll see though. Nvidia on mac has always had much lower performance (and that's pretty much what all current model laptops are).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
So if we (those of us discussing this on these forums) know the problem, can maybe the devs be directed to this thread to at least read it or maybe just inform them of the problem? They don't need to post. Just knowing that they know what the problem is and they can go from there.

I've barely played D3, due to the issues it has. Aside from only having 1 class that interests me, the issues it has is just too bothersome for me to log into it. My Mac isn't even that old... well, if you count about 1-2 years being old. My previous Mac I had lasted me about 8-9 years and ran D2 better than this one runs D3.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
The devs do what they can for os x, they really do, beyond that they can't really do much. apple rarely listens to feedback. heck, it took almost 2-3 years to get a fix to farclip bug that caused reflections to appear ABOVE the water in wow. a bug that blizz pushed to apple forever.

Wake from sleep bug was also a big one. A new "feature" of 10.7.0 and apple didn't fix it until 10.8.3+. They never even bothered to back port it to 10.7.5 users. Apples "screw the users who don't update every year" mentality and all. I love os x as much as next guy, but when it comes to gaming, OS X is NOT the OS for it. Despite that, I prefer to play on OS X anyways because i dislike windows at the user level, which i think OS X succeeds at. Even fi windows does excel significantly at core/driver level.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 8/30/2013 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Meh. Windows 8...how epicly did it fail? You had to log into the XBox App Store to download Solitaire and Freecell that used to be packed in with Windows. And you have to create an MSN account to do so. Thankfully I was able to just copy over Solitaire and the cards.dll and my friend got her games back.

OS X wins hands down in the user experience department. And it loses every time in the core performance department. It only took Apple what, fourteen years to figure out how to get SLI/Crossfire working in OS X?
Reply Quote
The devs do what they can for os x, they really do, beyond that they can't really do much. apple rarely listens to feedback. heck, it took almost 2-3 years to get a fix to farclip bug that caused reflections to appear ABOVE the water in wow. a bug that blizz pushed to apple forever.

Wake from sleep bug was also a big one. A new "feature" of 10.7.0 and apple didn't fix it until 10.8.3+. They never even bothered to back port it to 10.7.5 users. Apples "screw the users who don't update every year" mentality and all. I love os x as much as next guy, but when it comes to gaming, OS X is NOT the OS for it. Despite that, I prefer to play on OS X anyways because i dislike windows at the user level, which i think OS X succeeds at. Even fi windows does excel significantly at core/driver level.

That is due to the regulation apple places on third party drivers. If you have nvidia cards, you can sneak some performance upgrades through installing CUDA drivers on some systems because that also ships with some minor updates to SOME nvidia graphics cards.

MS has no such regulation placed on third parties from shipping driver updates, which is why you must do that yourself and tend to get better perfomance out of newer and better supported drivers.

Apple prefers stability over performance increases, so we do lag behind when it comes to getting these updates. This isn't a one system vs another at being better at a particular aspect of the kernel, it is that apple doesn't push these updates often.

I wish I could download DP6. I have a paid ADC membership and can only get DP4. I guess only Premiere members get DP6.

This is because updates are supported through the MAS for update, not through the dev portal. Redeemable keys are now being used to distribute the pre-release betas for OS X so you get one install per account, which can be shared across the max number of computers you can download items from the MAS from the same account, I want to say this is 10 or 15, but I don't know.
Edited by DirkGently#1944 on 8/31/2013 9:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
08/31/2013 09:53 AMPosted by DirkGently
This is because updates are supported through the MAS for update, not through the dev portal. Redeemable keys are now being used to distribute the pre-release betas for OS X so you get one install per account, which can be shared across the max number of computers you can download items from the MAS from the same account, I want to say this is 10 or 15, but I don't know.

Except that I've gotten one key for each of the DPs so far. Problem is the DP6 key only seems to activate DP4 from the MAS and isn't showing up as an update. Not the end of the world, but it makes it hard to test things out when you're two releases behind.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Even when apple does push updates, they push REALLY old ones. you think 10.8.4 shipped with latest drivers? it shipped with same drivers as 10.8.3. 10.8.5 still doesn't update them, despite the fact these are drivers that are older than what was available when 10.8.1 was out.
Reply Quote

Except that I've gotten one key for each of the DPs so far. Problem is the DP6 key only seems to activate DP4 from the MAS and isn't showing up as an update. Not the end of the world, but it makes it hard to test things out when you're two releases behind.

That is very strange, this is completely off topic, but are you getting these through AppleSeed or ADC? ADC gave me one from the start and i redeemed that and have been installing from MAS ever since.

08/31/2013 03:59 PMPosted by MysticalOS
Even when apple does push updates, they push REALLY old ones. you think 10.8.4 shipped with latest drivers? it shipped with same drivers as 10.8.3. 10.8.5 still doesn't update them, despite the fact these are drivers that are older than what was available when 10.8.1 was out.

Yes, my point being they don't ship latest drivers, they ship known stable drivers. They have a lot of customers that have to come to them with any support issue relating to graphics. while the hardware manufacturers are pushing newer support, apple's actual clients/customers need the stability of older drivers. while windows users can deal with a rare blue screen over graphics drivers, that isn't something apple will compromise on.
Edited by DirkGently#1944 on 8/31/2013 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Lag, stutter, lag, rubberband, lag lag lag stutter stutter stutter stop...DIE.

I'm sorry but I've been trying to grind some paragon levels this evening and that last sentence pretty much sums up my experience on an i5 quad core iMac with 16gb of ram and 2TB hard drive. When this game launched, I had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS PLAYING. There were no freezes, rubber-banding, stuttering or inadvertent deaths. I've mentioned this in another thread and I'll say it here. We need an OFFLINE VERSION so we can play the game we paid for.

Why are Playstation owners allowed to have an unfettered gameplay experience –without the blather of global chat and the bloated, out of balance RMAH economy? All I read in these forums are complaints by frustrated players and technical excuses that want to lay the blame on Apple, one's Internet connection or some other garbage.

I opened a ticket last week and am still dancing with the support techs. We've determined that it's not my internet connection. They suspect it must be hardware or software related...What does that even mean? I run production applications on this machine every day. Video and audio editing, HD 3D animations, you name it. This computer has been ROCK SOLID since I purchased it. If someone could tell me it's a video driver issue, or a core services issue, than that would mean something. But no one seems to have a clue.

Good lord, given how wealthy Blizzard is, you'd think they could deliver a stable product. I never had issues like this with D1 or D2, and I played those for years.

/ends rant
Reply Quote
I just read that RoS will have another minimum added to the system requirements... What does that mean for my MacBook Pro and it's Nvidia card? :/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]